PDA

View Full Version : Baby cat missing?

buttercup132
02-05-2008, 05:26 PM
She was here this morning and when I left the house for work my mom went with me and my brother and sister had gone to school. Noone was home until my brother got home probly around lunch time.
We got home at like 2:30 and my mom was wondering where baby cat was.
She shook the treats and she never came and made her dinner and she never came which she usually does and all the other cats come.
I personally think she is hiding in the house somewhere but my mom seems convinced she got out.
My mom used to always think Milo was missing when he was a kitten and he was always just hiding or sleeping somewhere.
Has this happened to anyone else?

buttercup132
02-05-2008, 05:48 PM
bump?

Taz_Zoee
02-05-2008, 05:59 PM
I just recently posted a thread about Taz hiding. He was hiding under the bed.
Is there any way/where she could have gotten out? Your brother didn't accidentally leave a door open or something?
I hope you find her, soon.

catmandu
02-05-2008, 06:12 PM
ALL THE TIME AT THE FOUND CAT PARADISE HOTEL , ONE OF THE FOUND CATS WILL HIDE FOR A BIT, AND I WILL RUN AROUND LIKE A CRAZY MAN LOOKING FOR THAT ONE CAT.
AND JUST WHEN I AM AT MY WITS END THE HIDING CAT WILL SAUNTER OUT AND MWWWWOOOEEEEEEWWW!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20angels/cats1011871.jpg
THE LAST TIME IT WAS SCRAPPY 2 WHICH SCARED ME AS SHES USUALLY THERE FRONT AND CENTRE WHEN THE FRIDGE IS OPENED!!!
AND OF COURSE WE ARE PRAYING THAT BABY CAT COMES OUT OF HIDING VERY SOON!!!

buttercup132
02-05-2008, 06:45 PM
No there is like no way for her to have got out.
None of the doors are kept open, plus it's the winter so why would they be open.
We have ripped the house apart looking for her.

lorn
02-05-2008, 07:40 PM
I have looked absolutley evrywhere for baby cat. I have ripped the laundry room apart, the basement. I thought she may have got stuck behind something.
When we first got her she had hid for a while, but that was understandable.
She always comes for her dinner and for her treats, I have been in every nook and cranny shaking the treat jar.
My son got home 10 minutes before i did. Baby cat doesnt really go to the front door, she has never tried to get out.
We have however been out with flashligths looking for her, hubby has been walkin round the neighbour hood and i have posted some lost signs on the mail boxes.
I am so worried about her. I am afraid she is stuck somewhere and hurt.
And if she got out OMG, we are havin another storm tonight.
I am pretty sure i remember seeing her when i got home around 3 pm today. It was at dinner time (4pm) that I realised she ws missing. She is always in kitchen crying for some wet food.
Its awful feeling. :(
I dont know what to do. I have also called the local spca but they are closed.
Just incase she did sneak out and someone has found her and reported it.

Donnaj4962
02-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Oh no.... I hope she is found soon.... and she is safe! She is probably hiding somewhere in the house. Maybe something scared her, and she is in deep hiding! Prayers from Indiana that she is found soon!

Moesha
02-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Did you check closets, especially linen closets?

Jessika
02-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Any time I thought any of my kitties have been let outside (during parties or family events etc when we have a lot of people over) I would always freak out and stress to the point where my friends all stop what they are doing to help look for her (I even had a friend once jump in his car and circle the neighborhood a few times when he heard lol). They wouldn't come to treats or food either. But they have ALWAYS been hiding somewhere in the house. In fact once I think one had got into the toyboy... that is beyond me how that happened but the only advice I can give is if after tonight if you still can't find her put out posters and just check every little space you can imagine.

Good luck!!! I know you will find her.

jennielynn1970
02-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Does she like to crawl in drawers or cupboards or anything like that?? My mom's one cat did that a lot, and when they thought Lucey was missing one time, here she had gotten in one of the drawers in their clothes closet and no one saw her go in, and the drawer was closed. They found her sleeping peacefully when they ripped everything else apart trying to find her.

My cat Boris will hide in weird places too.

Hope you can find your kitty, it's scary and frustrating when they are missing.

buttercup132
02-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Does she like to crawl in drawers or cupboards or anything like that?? She does so we made sure to check behind and in drawers but still no luck.
It's weird that she's missing like that.

Taz_Zoee
02-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Hmmm...I would think if she was stuck she would be crying by now. She must just be hiding somewhere snoozing. But that doesn't explain not coming out to eat. Darn, I hope you find her soon! I know I would not be able to sleep until she's found.

Fuzzybuns
02-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Open evey internal door and cabinet and then shake the treats. I did that once when I was younger, my cat came climbing out of the linen closet in the bathroom. I had looked there but on closer inspection, she had been sleeping soundly behind a stack of bed sheets in the far back.
My mom lost one of her's one time too and she'd been closed in my brother's closet all day and didn't wake up until bedtime, they heard her little bitty meows after the house got quiet.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Emeraldgreen
02-06-2008, 12:24 AM
Buttercup mentioned that her brother got home around lunchtime but Lorn, you said that you got home around 3:00 and that your son got there 10 minutes before you. Could your son have come home, left and come home again? Maybe the cat got out at that point? I know you said that you thought you saw her at 3:00 but if not, maybe she did slip out sometime between lunch and 3:00.
Alot of times when cats get out, they look for warm spots and often find shelter in a garage or shed that was open at the time but may be shut now. I run a site for lost pets and always tell people to make sure to check all their own outbuildings as well as going door to door to have neighbors check theirs as well. A man recently sent me an email and pic to post on the site of his lost cat, an indoor girl who slipped out. She was missing for 9 days when the mystery was finally solved. The cat had snuck into the 90 year old man's basement next door when the cleaning lady was doing laundry. She wasn't found until the cleaning had come back to do laundry again 9 days later. The cat survived thankfully and now I also tell people to ask their neighbors to check their basements too!
One other thing I usually suggest is to look for lost cats in the early morning or early evening. It's quieter and provides a better chance for her to hear you and vice versa if she is up a tree or under a porch or something.
And, if you bring a flashlight with you, even during the day, you might be able to pick up the glare of her eyes if she is under a car or in a dark space hiding.
Putting the word 'reward' on your posters is a good idea too. You don't have to specify an amount but it might inspire kids to look for her after school etc.. and the more eyes looking for her the better.
Putting an ad in the newspaper is a good idea too. Usually the first two things people do when they find a cat is contact the local shelter and check the lost and found section of the newspaper. Contacting the shelters is key though because even if they don't have her, they will know to keep an eye out for a cat with her description.
I also suggest to people that if they put some things out on the porch that smell like your cat, blanket or bedding or a litter box, that might help them wander back if they're spooked and a bit disoriented. Also, putting something outside that smells like you might help too. A sweater or blanket, whatever.
I know you mentioned that you shook the treat bag. Maybe firing up the electric can opener might do the trick if she is indeed still inside the house.
Hope some of this is helpful in your search for your Babycat. Here's hoping she's just curled up in a cozy secret spot in the house and comes wandering out, stretching and yawning, wondering what all the fuss is about. Don't give up hope. :)

krazyaboutkatz
02-06-2008, 12:37 AM
I sure hope that she's just hiding some where in your house and that she'll come out soon. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Scooter's Mom
02-06-2008, 03:03 AM
Check behind the washer and dryer too.

Someone I know had some painters come and his kitty hid behind the washer and couldn't get out. He never found her until it was wayyyy too late. :(

Lilith Cherry
02-06-2008, 03:44 AM
Poor Babycat! I really hope she turns up safe very soon. I had a kitten disappear up an unused chimney flue once... it was a hell of a job to get her out but we managed! Good Luck!

lorn
02-06-2008, 07:28 AM
HI all, Well still no sign of baby cat. At this point in time I am actually hoping that she did somehow get out, because if she is somewhere in the house then i think she is hurt or worse, we have not heard any scrambling or her meow.
We left the garage partially open last night so as she could go in for shelter, if she was out there., i see no footprints in the snow.

EMERALDGREEN, my son was at college yesterday, so he wasnt home untill 2.50 pm.
I did bring some groceries in the house, so made a few trips in and out.
I just wish i could remember wether i actually did see her when i got home.
All the cats here usually come running to greet me when i come home.

Molly keeps crying for no apparent reason, i keep thinkin she is trying to tell me somin.
I have been everywhere in the house u could think of. behind the washer and dryer..... in the washer and dryer..yikes
i have even looked under the fridge. Molly and baby cat always loose there toys under the fridge and will sit there waiting for someone to get a stick to get them out. So thought she may have somehow tried to get under there.

Brooke, my youngest (8 yrs) whom is mummy to baby cat, cried her self to sleep. I am going to keep her home from school today and we will see whatwe can do. Maybe go to the local gorcery stores and post signs tere too. I will contact the local animal rescue and perhaps the paper.

loveallfurryfriends
02-06-2008, 08:00 AM
I hope that you find her soon. I know that it is agonizing to wonder where she is, and if she is ok. I'm praying that you find her. <<<HUGS>>> to you and your daughter.

Freedom
02-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Many of my cats have put me through this at one time or another, as well. It is part of the feline DNA code to hide and make your humoms crazy with worry.

Don't leave food down. She could be eating when you aren't aware of it. Put food out, feed the others, and in 10 minutes pick it all up. May take 24 hours but that is one thing which has worked for me.

They find the darndest places to hide and a young one can curl up into a small place you would never dream would fit.

Meanwhile, also consider getting a collar with a bell for her. I've done that twice with young ones who repeatedly hid. It doesn't work while they are curled up sleeping, but it does help once they start moving. I usually leave the collar on until they are large enough -- and I am confident enough - that I think they will be easier to find.

Prayers that she shows up soon! Come on, Baby Cat, come on OUT!

Fuzzybuns
02-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Don't forget to look in dresser drawers either. Mine always take the opportunity to jump in and we've closed many a cat in the dresser...even the barthroom drawers.

Even if you checked the basement, if you have one, did you check the attic? It doesn't hurt to look in places that you're sure she isn't in.

Pantry? You mentioned groceries...did you check in the fridge or freezer? :(
Under the bed, inside the box spring, or in the couch?

I'm sorry you haven't found her yet, but I'm glad to hear you're not giving up!

Catty1
02-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Lorn - if Molly meows at you...see if she will lead you somewhere!

I pray this has a happy ending!

If she DID get out, then maybe someone thought she was a 'lost' kitten and took her to a shelter? I hope you have been calling them all!

PT Prayers for Kitten Kitten!

ETA: A friend recently had a cat 'missing' - electricians had been over, and the furbaby was happily sitting up in the ceiling rafters where they had cut a hole!

Also - what kind of heating do you have? Even grown cats have crawled into interesting 'tunnels' and been in the household ductwork.

More prayers your way!

lorn
02-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Yeah I have been asking Molly (sounds silly i know) to help me find baby cat.
I have contacted 3 different shelters in 3 nearby cities, just incase someone found her and drove her to a diffo shelter. I have called all the local vets and posted signs in there.
My mum and Brooke printed 50 flyers up and put them in peoples doors nearby home.
I am once again ripping apart my basement(the unfinished part where all the junk is), I have to know for sure she isnt hurt somewhere down there.
Takin a break for lunch then i will be back at it.
My husband has left from work early too, so as he could maybe go walkin round the neighbour hood again.
I just dont know what else to do! :(

Emeraldgreen
02-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Lorn, posting flyers on the neighbors doors is a good idea but I would even go one step further and ask at least the 4 closest neighbors to physically go and check their garages. Even if they see the flyer, it might not occur to them that they should check spots like that. I hope you find her soon. I know this must be agonizing.

emily_the_spoiled
02-06-2008, 01:07 PM
I don't know if this will help, but I have one cat that crawls into the ceiling :rolleyes: I have a drop ceiling in the family room, but the laundry room next door does not have a finished ceiling. So she jumps on the water heater and then to an opening for the drop ceiling and will hide there when she wants to be left alone.

lorn
02-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks everyone, Just thought i would update u.
Still no baby cat. My basement has been ripped apart. Nothing.
I have looked in every drawer in the house and closet.
I am now thinkin she must have got out, or some alien abducted her.... Its like she just vanished.
We have 5 cats and none of them go out. Only in the backyard in the summer. I have it all cat proofed so they cant get out.
At the moment, we have a major ice/snow storm, so i pray someone has taken the precious little girl in. Surley if someone sees her they would know she wasnt supposed to be out, she is too clean lookin and to little.
Hubs has been to all the pet stores and grocers with flyers.
Its just weird cause baby cat never ran to door to escape, she would sit there and look out but ive not known her to try and go out.

krazyaboutkatz
02-07-2008, 01:05 AM
I'm was hoping to hear that you had found her by now.:( I sure hope that some one will find her very soon. She'll remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Moesha
02-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Baby cat was found. You can read about where she was in this thread. (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=138983)