PDA

View Full Version : Need Help A stray outside

StarandBratsmom
02-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Hello everyone. How's it going? Good here. A couple weeks ago an orange tomcat showed up at our house. He attacked Brat so now my kitty babies are not allowed outside until the tomcat leaves. Well another cat shows up a few nights ago. A female in heat and of course I caught them out there doing the deed, the tomcat seems to have left but the female is about to drive me bananas. She is too wild to catch and she meows all the time. I live in a mobile home, she gets under it and meows through out the house. I feel bad because I can't do anything to help her. The meowing is making my cats nuts too. Not only have these two cats appeared, another one making a total of 3 cats outside. I don't know why they chose my place to hang out, its not like I feed the cats outside. Im thinking someone is dumping them thinking I will adopt them. I don't know what to do about these cats, especially the female meowing under my home all the time. I can hear her through the vents, at night she comes out and then of course won't let me get close to her.

moosmom
02-05-2008, 04:26 PM
What you have on your hands MIGHT be a feral cat. Suggestion: rent a Hav-A-Heart trap (some pet shops rent them or the Humane Society will). Put it under your mobile home with pie shaped piece of paper plate and sardines on it. Put the plate way back so she'll have to go into the trap to eat. Once she steps on the metal switch plate, the door will close and she will be trapped inside. Make sure you cover the bottom of the trap with snow or dirt so she cannot feel the grate of the trap. Cover the trap except for the entrance so she doesn't know it IS a trap. It will also help calm her down (she's going to thrash around the trap trying to get out and will probably scrape her nose in the process). After that, I'm not sure where you can take her. Unless you want to take her to the Humane Society, who will most likely humanely euthanize her since she is feral and is not likely adoptable.

If she isn't feral (wild) then she has a better chance of finding a home. I get SOOO angry when people just dump their responsibilities on other people. This poor cat didn't deserve this.

Anyone else have any suggestions????

Karen
02-05-2008, 04:31 PM
I agree - even contacting your local Humane Society - maybe they have a TNR - Trap, Neuter, Return program already in place that will help you trap the spay/neuter these cats. That's really the only solution I can think of, tell your cats I am sorry for them, as I know no kitty that would endure earplugs in the meantime.

StarandBratsmom
02-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the replies. That does give me an idea, my uncle has one of those type of traps. I could trap all three of them but there isn't any places near where I live that will adopt them out. I can't stand the idea of being responsible for getting them put to sleep. The female thats doing all the meowing looks like she could be caught and maybe was tame at one point, she looks at me like she wants me to pet her but at the same time she doesn't trust me. All the meowing is making Brat pee all over the place.

Karen
02-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. That does give me an idea, my uncle has one of those type of traps. I could trap all three of them but there isn't any places near where I live that will adopt them out. I can't stand the idea of being responsible for getting them put to sleep. The female thats doing all the meowing looks like she could be caught and maybe was tame at one point, she looks at me like she wants me to pet her but at the same time she doesn't trust me. All the meowing is making Brat pee all over the place.

You could at least get each of them neutered - spaying her will assuredly cut down on the hollering, and the vet could evaluate her to see if she'd be adoptable. They also may know of a barn that might take a feral cat to be an additional mouser ... which is a better life than they have now.

Poor Brat!

catmandu
02-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Thats such a sad story , and one thats happening more and more often as people dont take responsibilty for thier Pets.
They should be trapped and neutered ASAP before they have litters of wild Feral Kittens who will lead sad lives of hunger and despair.
Its a shame that the onus falls on we Cat Lovers to take care of thier carelessness.