PDA

View Full Version : For you over fifty...

Randi
02-05-2008, 12:43 PM
I just read an article about “How much time should children this and that age be allowed to spend playing on the computer” and I wondered... how do you think your parents would have used their computer if they had one?

I’m sure that if computers had been around when my parents lived (well, they were, but they didn’t have one) my mom would have played a lot of games and enjoyd it immenesly, and she would have been shopping on e-bay, and possibly bought lots of stuff on auction sites. She would also have read every consumer type tips around and had supermarket offers bookmarked. LOL!

My dad on the other hand would have been into playing chess - if anything, and looking for matemathical puzzles to solve, he would also have been looking for new books to read, and drawing fancy new buildings in Illustrator.

I have never really gotten into games myself, but years ago, I did get “hooked” on Scarab of RA - which is only available for Mac, I believe.

How about your parents?

Btw, most parents in Denmark would like to see their teenage children spend less than two hours a day playing games on the computer.

Edwina's Secretary
02-05-2008, 03:22 PM
My father just got high-speed. We had been trying to convince him to get rid of his dialup for years! He does email and research but he REFUSES to shop or do anything involving credit cards or any financial information on the computer. He is very afraid of identity theft.

Even though he does NOTHING remotely financial on his computer he has the most complicated password!

What is he protecting??? Well...it amuses him to think up passwords... :rolleyes:

(btw...he is 86!)

p.s. which is not to suggest I am necessarily over 50! ;) :p

chocolatepuppy
02-05-2008, 04:01 PM
My parents are both almost 80. They got a computer a few years ago. My mom plays games and my dad searches all over the internet for interesting things as well as playing games. :)

lizbud
02-05-2008, 04:07 PM
I think my Mom would have used it to look up gardening tips & nature
articles. As a young Mom will six active ( read rowdy) children she might
have let us use the computer for homework only. My Dad would not use
it at all.