PDA

View Full Version : Question on Laundry fabric softener substitutes..UPDATE #7

Catty1
02-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Has anyone here used those 'bumpy' rubber balls that are supposed to be used in the dryer in place of bounce sheets, etc?

If you have, how did they work?

Thanks. :)

Catlady711
02-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Actually I have two of those 'bumpy' blue balls bouncing around in my dryer as I type. lol I've had them for about a year or so now.

Here's my assesment of them:

Pros:

Helps clothes dry faster

Fluffs up towels and coats better

Easy to use and clean

Makes it so you can use LESS fabric softner

Cons:

Make a bit of a muffled banging noise when using (doesn't bother me but it may some people)

Doesn't do a thing for static! (I get horrible static pokes in the winter so this is a biggie for me)

Get stuck in the sleeves of clothes. When I get all done hanging stuff up and realize I have one 'bumpy' ball missing I have to go through all the shirt sleeves to find the errant ball. LOL

Sometimes I wish I had another set of them for the larger items I dry.

Despite the downsides, I use them every time I dry clothes now and am able to use less fabric softner but I still have to use some for the static.

Catty1
02-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Actually, I went to our local hardware store today - more like a town General Store, where you can actually get boxes of Borax to do your laundry!

I asked the clerk about dryer balls (with a straight face :p ) and she led me to reuseable dryer sheets made by Natura. No chemicals or anything!

Good for 500 loads.

Don't know if that brand is in the USA, but reuseable dryer sheets should be around. Can't wait to try mine!

(and they will be QUIET. I wondered about the noise thing myself)

thanks for the rating!

Taz_Zoee
02-05-2008, 06:06 PM
We got some year before last from Bruce's mom for Xmas (nice gift:p) and I used them a couple times. I didn't really notice a difference. But I like the smell of the dryer sheets I use. :)

Oh, we posted at the same time. I'd like to try a reusable dryer sheet. But does it smell?? That's the question. ;)

Catty1
02-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Taz - this brand of reusable sheets have no chemicals and hence no smell. But I am sure there are scented ones around.

Personally, I like the idea of no extra chemicals in my clothes! :)

I Googled "reusable dryer sheets" - holy cow!

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=reusable+dryer+sheets&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

I'm going to go click all the links...see you there!

Price comparisons for reusable static dryer sheets:

http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Static_Eliminator_Re_usable_Dryer_Sheets_2_Pack

And chemicals found in regular disposable dryer sheets:

http://shop.sixwise.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=92

jennielynn1970
02-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Will have to look for those reusable sheets... especially since they don't smell or have chemicals. I get itchy from everything!

Catty1
02-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Well, I have used the reusable dryer sheets for 3 loads now - and I am pleased with the result.

I have some items of clothing that always generate a tad of static no matter what, like a knitted synthetic jacket or a hoodie - but all the rest is fine!

NOW I smell the scent of the laundry soap! To me, scent is 'chemical' - so will be looking for something else. Maybe back to Amway.

Anyway, do the math if you want: The reusables were $12.00 and last for 500 loads.

What's a box of the disposable dryer sheets go for? And how many boxes would it take to do 500 loads?

A friend of mine pays $7 for a box of 40. To get 500 loads from her Bounce type would cost $87.50.

Cool!

So far, so good.

finn's mom
02-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Those reusable dryer sheets sound very cool. I will have to check them out. I use a biodegradable, environmentally friendly liquid laundry detergent, with no artificial fragrance or colors. I love it. I also use the dryer balls (ended up with two sets of them). I love them, except for the static thing. When I dry unnatural garments (acrylic or polyester or others), I usually just pull them out before they're 100% dry and hang them to finish drying and that helps with the static. I use vinegar in the washing machine instead of liquid fabric softener. I love that my clothes don't have really strong scents, now.

I just went to look at the reusable dryer sheets...it's odd, they don't say anything about them being safe for the environment or biodegradable... they still sound like a better alternative to regular dryer sheets, though.

Catty1
02-27-2008, 11:32 AM
I figure I can stick my hands in them afterwards and use them for dust rags! :D

Maybe not biodegradable - but replacing a lot of disposable sheets.

It's like fluorescent bulbs - they DO need replacing, but last 10 times as long as regular bulbs - so the impact ('footprint') is diminished.

momoffuzzyfaces
02-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Yea, I've had the dryer balls for a year now. I keep hoping they will work but so far ... nothing. I'm using dryer sheets now. I just leave the balls in there, just in case they ever feel inspired to work!!! :rolleyes: :D

moosmom
02-27-2008, 02:49 PM
We sell those things at my store. Consumer Reports did a test on different things and they didn't rate them very well at all. I've used them but really don't see a difference. Now the balls with laundry detergent in them are awesome. You get 90 washings and your whites come out really white and smelling great.

Because I am not THERE when it calls for the liquid detergent, I use dryer sheets. So much easier.