PDA

View Full Version : How do you prepare your taxes?

smokey the elder
02-04-2008, 08:11 AM
A couple of tax-related threads have prompted me to ask a nosy question. How do you do your taxes? Manually, using software, or a preparer? I do mine using TurboTax(tm) and have for several years. I really like the package, and the changes they made in 2007 made it even easier to use. OK, end of shameless plug. :D

catnapper
02-04-2008, 08:13 AM
We use an accountant. I have to close out my company this year. Next year we'll do Turbo Tax or something similar.

jenluckenbach
02-04-2008, 08:15 AM
I use an accountant. It is WORTH the money!

Ginger's Mom
02-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Every year I buy a software program to do my taxes, put it on the table next to my computer to gather dust, and run out to H&R Block the first week of April. :rolleyes: I really need to get my act together, my taxes are not that complicated.

cali
02-04-2008, 08:46 AM
I hand my T4 to my mom. lol what she does I havent the clue. I have to admit that I dont even have a sliver of a clue how to do taxes, I dont even know what a T4 is, all I know is that my boss gives me one at tax time.

moosmom
02-04-2008, 09:02 AM
I e-filed this year and it was fairly easy. Although, if you look at my CT Tax Return Boo Boo thread, you'll see I made a mistake. However, it's now fixed and I can sleep better tonight.

Rachel
02-04-2008, 09:30 AM
I use Turbo Tax, print out the completed forms and send them in. Last year and this year, I found purchasing Turbo Tax at Sam's Club was considerably less expensive than even getting it at Walmart.

I've always used the Premier Edition, but it seemed like I would have to go to their more expensive Home and Office Edition because, unlike previous years, the Premier Edition didn't look like it included Schedule C. After several inquiries, I found out that it did, but that they don't promise to lead you through the many questions. Since my Schedule C is relatively simple and I can always compare it to last year's, I opted to try to do the Premier Edition and save myself $12.00. We'll see if that was a mistake once I tackle the job.

Craftlady
02-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Accountant.
Prior to last year (when we had it done by accountant), I had done our own using Turbo then HR Block (Turbo wont let you put in on more than one machine) because I liked it better. Having my own business now doing it myself is to complicated.

Pembroke_Corgi
02-04-2008, 11:28 AM
We usually E-file. It's quick and easy.

cassiesmom
02-04-2008, 11:42 AM
(laughing as I type) How? I go to H&R Block, usually at the very last minute, with my fingers crossed!

Pam
02-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Years and years ago we used an accountant and then switched to Turbo Tax for the past several years. Last year our return was too complicated and there were some questions that we needed answered. We went back to our old accountant who actually was older :p (aren't we all...haha!) Anyway, thankfully he was still around and we'll use him again this year.

Jessika
02-04-2008, 12:42 PM
We've used taxslayer.com for the last three or so years and e-file and usually get our returns within the week.

Though this year I *had* to have done something wrong because it says we owe $1300... that just isn't possible with our income. At least, I hope :(

BitsyNaceyDog
02-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Our CPA does ours. She takes care of both Justin's business taxes and our personal taxes.

Grace
02-04-2008, 01:11 PM
I do them - at the dining room table - with my solar calculator.

Sirrahsim
02-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Every December I pull out our end of the year statement and do it on paper so that I can get an idea of what our return will look like but I never mail it in. I have been e-filing with HRblock.com for several years now. Every year they send me a link so that I can e-file for free and they even import my info from the previous year. The first year I used them I was shocked to discover the "additional child tax credit" that added $1,000 to my refund even though we didn't qualify for the child tax credit :D

I'm a freak and LOVE figuring out our taxes :rolleyes: I love working with numbers... I'm even considering going back to school to become an accountant :)

Scooter's Mom
02-04-2008, 01:51 PM
I use either turbotax online or hrblock online. When I lived in Houston I just did them with a pencil and calculator - they were really simple since we didn't have any state taxes.

lizbud
02-04-2008, 05:04 PM
I use either turbotax online or hrblock online. When I lived in Houston I just did them with a pencil and calculator - they were really simple since we didn't have any state taxes.

Texas has no State tax, but do you know what their Property tax is
like? Unbelievably high. :eek:

I use TurboTax too. I used H & R Block once & they made so many errors
in my deductions, I had to have them done over again.