PDA

View Full Version : Update On Cat Killer Trial In Connecticut

moosmom
08-16-2002, 12:53 PM
Well, the THIRD continuance was held today for Jill Mazurek, the 19 year old that tortured and killed her roommate's cat out of revenge.

She had the BALLS to apply for AR (accelerated rehabilitation) which means that after one year, if she doesn't get into anymore trouble, her record will be wiped clean!!:mad: :mad: :mad: We were SO pissed! But...there is a little consolation.

The prosecutor told us that the judge plans on denying AR which will force her into pleading guilty or not guilty. She can either waive her right to a trial by jury and have her case heard by a judge, which means she will definitely get jail time since Judge Owens is known as "the hanging judge".

Unfortunately :( this will be the last time I'll be able to attend a hearing on this case since I'll be in Michigan on the next court date (October 25). But I've got tons of friends who will keep me informed.

I've also been told that there have been people harassing her and her family. She will definitely have to move out of Connecticut despite the outcome of this trial. Let's just hope she doesn't move to Michigan :eek:

I also got my 15 seconds of fame when a tv news station interviewed me. :p

That's the scoop!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-16-2002, 01:17 PM
wow, that breaks my heart. this is the first time i have heard of this case and its a heart breaker. how can someone do that to a poor innocent creature that is so horrible all i can ask is WhY someone would do this :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

NoahsMommy
08-16-2002, 04:54 PM
That vile "human" better recieve a lot of jail time! What a terrible, terrible thing to do...it makes me feel ill. Too bad we don't have "eye for an eye" punishment here....

moosmom
08-16-2002, 06:17 PM
If you could only see a picture of her!! She looks like she should be a matron at a nazi concentration camp. She's got ice water running through her veins. She shows absolutely no remorse whatsoever. There are a bunch of bikers that want her butt on a stick. So I can guarantee you no matter what the outcome, he butt is history.

Ann
08-17-2002, 10:27 AM
Thanks for keeping us posted! I didn't know that there was such a ludicrous thing as that "AR" :(

moosmom
08-19-2002, 01:29 PM
Well, this low-life cat killer sealed her fate on Friday when she gave an interview to a local television station. Get this...she told the news anchor that it was "the cat's fault because he kept swimming back to shore everytime she threw him back into the lake." She is dead meat now. I've ordered a copy of the interview from the tv station and am mailing to the prosecutor. If that doesn't get her the maximum, I don't know what will. Once the judge sees the tape, there is no WAY he'll grant her AR.

Besides, what she did is a felony offense. I've never heard of anyone applying for AR on a felony.

Stay tuned!

lovemymaltese
08-20-2002, 01:28 PM
that is so terrible, she will probably just get a little slap on the wrist and go on with her happy little life. She is an absolute phychopath though. She will have a hard time in life though. People will hold her to her actions for a while to come.

moosmom
08-20-2002, 02:45 PM
No, I'm sure with all the publicity this trial has gotten from the beginning that she will be made an example of. Regardless, she and her family will definitely have to move out of CT anyway because of all the death threats they've been getting. They will not get a moments peace, I can assure you.

lovemymaltese
08-20-2002, 02:52 PM
Oh I am sure that you ar correct. That was a very hateful and stupid thing that she did. She deserves all the negativity that the world has to offer her. I hope that she doens't move to Georgia.

Randi
08-20-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Let's just hope she doesn't move to Michigan :eek:
How about Death Walley!! :mad:

NoahsMommy
08-20-2002, 04:15 PM
They better watch her around children too!! Oh...and she better not move to California either!! :)

moosmom
02-01-2004, 10:22 PM
I got a call from my friend Chris in Connecticut. It seems that the cat killer will be in court tomorrow. It's been almost 2 years since her last hearing.

I didn't get much information on it because Chris left a message on my answering machine, but she did say that the killers are going to plead out in an effort to avoid a trial.

As soon as I hear more, I'll let you know.

Twisterdog
02-01-2004, 11:14 PM
I don't know all the details of the case, but I'm sure this girl is a nasty excuse for a human being, and definately deserves whatever punishment she gets, and then some.

However, I'm always troubled by threats made towards someone's family. It is NOT the family's fault that she did this. Sometimes good people raise monsters, and there is nothing that can be done about it. I just always feel sad when I hear someone's family is being harassed for something they didn't do and had no control over.

dukedogsmom
02-02-2004, 06:21 AM
You never know, Twister, it could be her family that made her that way. I hope someone kicks her a**, several times! Would love for her to get done just the way she did the cat.

ramanth
02-02-2004, 08:11 AM
:mad: :(
Hope she gets what's coming to her...

catlover4ever
02-02-2004, 09:26 AM
If you could only see a picture of this woman....she looks like she has absolutely no feelings about anything. She decided to kill Adonis (the cat) because she was upset with her room-mate (the cats owner). The boyfriend is not better. They both make me sick to even look/think of them. She does not strike me as the type of person to leave the state....just the expression on her face at her hearings is that of no regret that she did it,, so why should she be bothered that people dislike her because of what she did. I would like to wipe that smirk off of her face.

dukedogsmom
02-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Click here to sign petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/adonis/

moosmom
02-02-2004, 10:41 AM
Twisterdog,

I was at every single hearing for the three losers. They had smirks on their faces like it was all a joke. Believe me, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and yes, I DO blame the family as well as Jill. She still, to this day, thinks she hasn't done anything wrong, and so does her family!!

When I confronted her, she and her family tried to hide behind the courhouse pillar. The father said, "That damn cat pooped all over the house." "So THAT'S okay to kill it?" was my response. The whole family looks like trailer trash. Just the thought that my tax dollars are going to defend this piece of garbage makes me ill! :mad: :mad:

I received a phone call from one of her neighbors after the article in the Hartford Courant appeared (I was quoted in the article). She told me that Jill and her family have MANY cats who are not spayed or neutered. The neighbor's cat went into their yard (I guess one of their females was in heat). Jill threatened the neighbor saying if she saw her cat in their yard again, she'd never see it again. 3 weeks later, the neighbor's cat disappeared. A concidence??? I think not!

Catlover4ever,

You're absolutely right when you said she has no feelings whatsoever. This woman has ice water running through her veins.

I hope and PRAY that this woman and her two cohorts rot in jail for the maximum of 5 years. Even if she doesn't, she WILL have to move out of CT, because she and her family will never get any rest and will be spending the rest of their lives looking over their shoulders.

Randi
02-02-2004, 10:46 AM
I signed it! She deserves maximum!! How sick!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

K9soul
02-02-2004, 11:03 AM
I see things like this and am so upset, as the rest of you are, but you know what I hope? I hope she and people like her meet their true reckoning when they face God, and have to answer for how they treated one of His innocent creatures.

dukedogsmom
02-02-2004, 11:25 AM
K9soul, that's true, but we just want to make sure they get it now and then later too! I hope all people like this(child,elderly and animal) abusers rot in hell. There's no excuse for it and as far as I'm concerned, they are all cowards.

K9soul
02-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
K9soul, that's true, but we just want to make sure they get it now and then later too! I hope all people like this(child,elderly and animal) abusers rot in hell. There's no excuse for it and as far as I'm concerned, they are all cowards.

Oh I agree 100% with you. I just feel that whatever they get here is so trivial to what they really deserve. Some jail time and a fine or whatever, compared to the horrible suffering they deliberately caused to a helpless and innocent creature... I just hope they really get what they truly deserve when they face God.

moosmom
02-02-2004, 01:36 PM
I finally figured out how to listen to my messages again (duh!!) and found out the hearing is today. They are going to TRY and resolve it without a jury trial (i.e., plea bargain). If they can't resolve it today, it will go to a jury trial. Jury selection will be around the end of February. I sure wish I was selected for THAT jury!!!

Stay tuned!!

moosmom
02-02-2004, 06:05 PM
Jill Mazurek went in front of the judge today and was all weepy and crying, dressed with spiked hair and a leather spiked collar. Great first impression. The judge told her to compose herself, as she had absolutely NO sympathy whatsoever. Come to find out, her case wasn't even on the docket. Goes to show you what having a family member in politics does (her uncle is a State Representative in Wolcott)

She plead guilty at which time the judge set sentencing for early March. When she appears then, she'll be sentenced to 4 months in prison, a fine and community service with 3 years probation. She is to have absolutely NO animals, which means her family will have to re-home their pets.

The other two losers will be heard separately in the next week.

If she had gone for a jury trial, she would've gotten 5 years in prison and a fine of $5,000. Now, I know it sounds disappointing, but at least she didn't get off with a slap on the wrist. Maybe now the system is beginning to realize that animal abuse is happening more often than not and is not something that can just be poo-pooed.

May she meet the same fate as Jeffrey Dahlmer. :mad: :mad:

moosmom
02-04-2004, 08:38 AM
Here's the newspaper article. Mazurek can't understand WHY she is to have no pets! :mad: :mad: DUH!!!

Woman Who Killed Cat Going To Jail
February 4, 2004
By KATIE MELONE, Courant Staff Writer

NEW BRITAIN -- Jill Mazurek accepts that she is going to prison for four months as punishment for killing her roommate's cat in February 2002.

Yes, she agrees it was wrong for her and two co-defendants to savagely beat Adonis and repeatedly toss the battered cat into Silver Lake in Berlin until it died.

What she cannot accept is the cat owner's request that Mazurek be barred from living with pets once she leaves prison.

In a telephone interview on Tuesday a day after accepting a plea agreement to end the animal cruelty case against her, Mazurek said she does not think it would be fair for a judge to order the 20-year-old Newington women not to keep any pets.

"I know what I did was wrong and I know there is punishment for what I did," Mazurek said Tuesday. "I am ready to serve jail time, but taking away my pets is a violation of my rights because I've never done anything wrong to any other animal."

The no-pets suggestion by Adonis' distraught owner, Catherine "Cat" Towle, was read by a court advocate on Towle's behalf in New Britain Superior Court on Monday.

Mazurek - who has pet cats, guinea pigs and dogs - said a "no pets" condition of probation would be cruel.

"It was an isolated incident," she said of Adonis' death.

dukedogsmom
02-04-2004, 03:26 PM
I pity any animals she's come in contact with. Don't forget to sign the petition I listed earlier on this page. I hope she gets some real good treatment in jail, too.

Twisterdog
02-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
You never know, Twister, it could be her family that made her that way. I hope someone kicks her a**, several times! Would love for her to get done just the way she did the cat.

It COULD be. And it sounds like her family are also nasty people, from moosmom's later post about them. Perhaps in this case the rest of the family are not very nice people, either.

In general, however, threats, violence and vindictive actions aimed at someone's family are unfair and cruel. In most families, there is a "bad apple" ... and in some bad families, there might be a "good apple."

When my nephew was younger, he had a drinking problem, got several DUI's, and could have very easily killed someone. The rest of my family doesn't drink. (My nephew has since joined AA and is sober.) I would surely have hated to think that someone would threaten or injure my mom or my grandma, because of my nephew's problems.

catlover4ever
02-04-2004, 05:30 PM
Moosmom, I know you already posted the newspaper article but it also made the TV news (channel 3, Hartford) that Jill received 4 months prison time and she is not allowed any more pets.

I am happy to hear that this evil person is going to get prison time, but unfortunately NOT ENOUGH time in my book, however I beleive in Karma...she will ultimately get what she deserves......too bad we probally won't be around to see it. :mad:

moosmom
02-04-2004, 09:43 PM
catlover4ever,

I totally agree with you! 4 months is not NEARLY enough time. But at least she didn't get just a slap on the wrist like others who have abused animals.

I'm glad that Catherine (Adonis' owner) demanded she not have any pets. I would hate to think what she'd do to them if she woke up on the wrong side of the bed one day. I'm also glad there was some sort of tv coverage. She was SO hoping that all the hype would disappear, hence the long delays. Her attorney THOUGHT that by getting continuance after continuance, all the rescue groups (me included :D ) would just disappear. Well, we didn't. I was there up to the very last hearing on August 16th and boy I'm glad I was!!!

Let her Maker teach her a lesson down the road. That is providing she survives prison.

ramanth
02-05-2004, 08:57 AM
I'm glad there is some justice...

moosmom
03-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Jill Mazurek is due back in court for sentencing on March 25th. She has requested that instead of requiring her to have no pets, she'd rather have a longer prison term! :mad: :mad:

This a$$hole just doesn't get it. I say give her what she wants. 5 years in prison, serving the ENTIRE sentence, rather than deprive her of owning any pets. She'll be over 30 by then and MAYBE, just MAYBE she'll mature a little more and realize how precious life really is.

I'll keep you posted when I hear more.