PDA

View Full Version : Mitzi, I wish you could talk

RedHedd
02-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Somethings up with the little one. Around Christmas time I noticed her being a little less perky, so I took her to the vet on 12/29 who ran all kinds of bloodwork, expressed her anal glands. She'd lost 1/10th lb., which is okay because she's always been a bit "fluffy." The blood and urine were basically inconclusive - white count was a bit low and urine dilute, which could indicate early kidney problems. The vet said to come back in a month for follow-up.

Mitzi is still very lethargic and seems to have gotten very depressed about it so I contacted Nancy Efrussy, the pet psychic. Nancy's read said that Mitzi is very dry inside and this is making her very sad and lethargic. She's not depressed, she just doesn't feel very good.

So I took her back to the vet yesterday for follow-up bloodwork, some Sub-Q fluids and asked the vet if antibiotics would help. The vet agreed it couldn't hurt until we get the bloodwork back, so she's home on Amoxicillin. She's down another 1/10 lb. to 9.5 lbs. (which actually is a good weight for her).

I just hope this isn't the beginning of something serious; that it will pass quickly.

Prayers please for my little girl.

Hellow
02-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Prayers going out! --> -->

Barbara
02-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Sending all my best wishes for Mitzi. The early stage of kidney failure should not be that much noticeable- so I rather would think of an infection?
Hope the girl gets better soon.

jenluckenbach
02-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Prayers for Mitzi! Remember, antibiotics can sometimes cause diarrhea. And some antibiotics curb the appetite. So watch her food (and water) intake.

Hope she perks up soon.

Felicia's Mom
02-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Mitzi is in my prayers. I hope she feels better soon!

krazyaboutkatz
02-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Georgia, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I hope that she'll perk up soon. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. Please continue to keep us updated about her.

Catty1
02-04-2008, 12:19 AM
Prayers for Mitzi!

When the antibiotics are done - or even between doses - get either plain yogurt or an acidophilus-bifidis capsule down her to put back the good bacteria that the antibiotics destroy (ABs are very democratic when it comes to killing bacteria!)

If your vet can give you the dosage amount, you can get ones for humans at not too bad a rate. They are usually in gel caps, so you can open them and mix the powder into wet food.

Good luck - get well soon, Mitzi!

Randi
02-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Oh poor Mitzi. :( I hope the blood work will show what is the matter, and she can get some kind of treatment to perk her up again.

Get better, Mitzi!

Medusa
02-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Prayers going out that nothing is seriously wrong w/Mitzi, that's she's just going through a "bad spell" as we humans occasionally do. Get well, Mitzi girl.....

RedHedd
02-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks, everyone. We'll get the bloodwork results back later today, however I think the antibiotics are helping. She's SO much perkier today - not quite playing yet, but she was meowing for me to get out of the shower this morning to give her treats, which is much more like her usual spunky self. I'm cautioiusly optimistic that it is a bug that needed something extra to kick it out of her system. We'll see.

kb2yjx
02-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Mitzi, glad to hear that you are a little perkier!!! Hope all your blood work is good!! Prayers to you and Mom, too!

lvpets2002
02-04-2008, 04:50 PM
;) WooHoo Mitzi getting better.. Keep taking your meds wittle baby.. Sending Good Vibes & Prayers..

RedHedd
02-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Vet just called with the blood results which are unchanged from before. Still low white count, but everything else is normal. We're to continue with the amoxi-drops and add vitamins and Lysine to boost her immune system.

I hope it's just a bug. Both vets hinted that if it doesn't clear up, may be a sign of something going on in her bone marrow - I don't even want to go there!

krazyaboutkatz
02-05-2008, 12:57 AM
I'm glad that she's becoming perkier and I'll continue to keep her in my thoughts and prayers.:)

Medusa
02-05-2008, 10:16 AM
We'll just keep holding onto the thought that "all is well" for Mitzi.....

Catlady711
02-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Vet just called with the blood results which are unchanged from before. Still low white count, but everything else is normal. We're to continue with the amoxi-drops and add vitamins and Lysine to boost her immune system.

I hope it's just a bug. Both vets hinted that if it doesn't clear up, may be a sign of something going on in her bone marrow - I don't even want to go there!

I'm rather curious. If your vet is giving her Lysine is he suspecting a kitty herpes then? That's what they usually give that medicine for.

Either way I'm glad to hear that the meds are working some and your kitty is feeling a bit better. Hopefully she'll be fully recovered very soon. :)

RedHedd
02-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Hmm, no, the doc didn't mention Herpes, although I know that's what Lysine is usually prescribed for. She recommended it to help boost her immune system. Seeing as the little minx is now putting up a bit o a fuss when I try to give her syringed "stuff" I can tell she is getting better. Now I just wish she'd chase her tail or play with something, but I guess it's going to take time for her to get back to her playful self.

RedHedd
02-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Big prayers please. Mitzi is declining so very quickly it's scary. She seemed to be better for a day and then last night she threw up a couple of times (right after giving her meds - I know she hates them) and had very loose and stinky stools. She's very reluctant to eat or drink although I did get her to take a little bit of each (specially cooked chicken works with her), but she's obviously feeling worse.

I woke up the morning to find her in "puss pod" position (meatloaf with paws and tail tucked in VERY tightly) on the pillow next to me - she NEVER sleeps on pillows. I'm wondering if she doesn't have some sort of obstruction somewhere from eating who knows what - maybe a piece of a toy?

She went and hid after my shower because she's figured out that's medication time - she's a smart one! I have an appointment to take her into the vet today @ 5:00. I'm just SO worried about my little one :(

gini
02-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Georgia, prayers from me and I will have my pile of oranges put their paws together too.

I know how worried you must be.

emily_the_spoiled
02-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Having gone through something similar this past weekend, I can understand why you are scared.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Mitzi right now.

krazyaboutkatz
02-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Georgia, I'm sorry to hear that Mitzi has taken a turn for the worse.:( Her loose stools may be from the antibiotics so she may need to try a different kind. She may have thrown up because her meds tasted yucky. I hope that the vet will be able to help her and that she'll start recovering and feel better soon. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

lvpets2002
02-07-2008, 12:33 PM
:( Oh poor wittle Mitzi please get better very soon.. Eat your chicken & get your strength back.. Sending Lots of Whisker Huggss & Prayers..

Killearn Kitties
02-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Thinking of you and Mitzi today and wishing the best for her.

nancys
02-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Sending prayers your way - hope Mitzi gets better

Medusa
02-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Everyone is praying so much for my son and me. I will definitely take the time to pray for sweet Mitzi.

Catlady711
02-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Sorry to hear she's not doing so good. I hope the vet can find something to help her feel better and get back to eating again. Please keep us updated.

RedHedd
02-07-2008, 08:55 PM
We're back from the vet. The vet thinks Mitzi may have had a reaction to the Amoxicillin so we're stopping that. Her temp and weight were normal/the same. She gave her some fluids and a shot of Baytril. We're to stop the Amoxy and start the Baytril tomorrow. I'm also taking her off the vitamins for now until her stomach settles diown. We were sent home with samples of I/D to try and get her eating a bit more. I also made chicken breast and we shared. She seems a bit more comfortable tonight and was super head-bumpy when we got home. Keep those prayers coming.

Catty1
02-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Big PT Prayers for Mitzi! Baby girl, I hope the Baytril makes you feel better, and you give more headbumpies every day. :)

HUGS

jennielynn1970
02-08-2008, 06:03 AM
Oh gosh... I hope mitzi will rebound quickly and be feeling much better soon! Thoughts and prayers going out for the both of you!

Medusa
02-08-2008, 07:11 AM
Praying w/out ceasing....

GILL
02-08-2008, 08:48 AM
The crew is sending all our prayers.

krazyaboutkatz
02-08-2008, 11:25 AM
I hope that Mitzi is feeling better today. She'll continue to remain in my thoughts and prayers. Please update about her when you can.

gini
02-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Prayers continuing for Mitzi - I am sure those head bumpies melted you into a puddle of mush!

RedHedd
02-08-2008, 11:41 AM
She's making me cuckoo! She's eating, but not drinking water! What to do? Squirt it in her mouth w/syringe?

Lizzie
02-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Is she eating wet food or dry? Is she dehydrated? Do you know how to check for dehydration? Do you have sub-q fluids at home that you can give her? She is trying your patience, isn't she!

AbbyMom
02-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Suggestion: cook some chicken breasts in the microwave in 2 tablespoons of water. In my microwave, a pound of boneless chicken breasts takes five or six minutes.

Then water down the broth a little bit with a water and chill it.

One of my cats LOVES this broth and Mitzi might too. The aroma might stimulate her urge to drink. Since she has starting eating, it might work.

You know..some people believe chicken broth has healing powers.

Prayers for Mitzi.

RedHedd
02-08-2008, 12:50 PM
She's eating both wet and dry food. The vet gave her Sub-Q's last night as she was a bit dehydrated (I know how to check too after LOTS of experience with Mishi).

I've been cooking chicken for her - she's getting SUPER spoiled. I'll try the broth tonight too if she's not drinking by then.

Thanks, everyone!

cassiesmom
02-08-2008, 12:58 PM
I've been cooking chicken for her - she's getting SUPER spoiled.
Cassie wants to know what time she can come to Mitzi's house for a chicken dinner :) (I'm planning to make chicken and pasta tomorrow for supper so she will get chicken then.)

Mitzi Mitts, please feel much better very soon!! Praying for you!

kuhio98
02-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Don't know how I missed this. Many prayers for you and Mitzi.

Catty1
02-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Try adding warm water to her wet food and make it goopy - it will add more moisture to her system.

Weird that she won't drink - unless her body is really craving the food at this time.

HUGS and more prayers for you and Mitzi!

RedHedd
02-09-2008, 11:10 AM
PT prayers work, but we knew that. FINALLY Mitzi has turned a corner. I suspect the Amoxi was causing more prioblems than it was trying to cure. She's back to eating, drinking, peeing, pooping and SNUGGLING! OMG! I was awakened by purring head bumpies this morning as she couldn't get enough of me. It was SO sweet!

She's on Baytril for another week or so. Let's hope she continues to improve. Thank you everyone for the prayers and tips - she ignored the chicken broth :rolleyes: preferring specially prepared chicken breast.. I'm off grocery shopping to get more of whatever the little one wants :)

Randi
02-09-2008, 11:40 AM
What great news - sigh of relief. :) I hope she will continue to improve!

Give her lots of loving! :p

Fister sends headbumpies, and I send kisses.

Moesha
02-09-2008, 11:44 AM
YaY...great news! Keep improving Mitzi.

Taz_Zoee
02-09-2008, 12:44 PM
I have been reading this thread and you and Mitzi have been in my thoughts. I am so glad to hear she seems to be getting better. Way to go Mitzi!!
:D :D

krazyaboutkatz
02-09-2008, 03:27 PM
This is wonderful news!!!:D I hope she'll continue to do well and stay healthy.:)

jenluckenbach
02-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Excellent news!! :D :D

cassiesmom
02-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Yay, Mitzi!

Catty1
02-09-2008, 07:37 PM
YAY! Go, Mitzi!

Redhedd, she is a very loved girl and she knows it - that brought her around the corner as well.

Please give her a scritchie for me? :)

RedHedd
02-10-2008, 11:55 AM
:D She's chasing her tail again! :D Oh what a happy sound! I don't care that it was at 3:00 a.m. when she HAD to wake me up with head bumpies and purrs. Then she went to the edge of the bed to groom and then started playing with her tail, spinning around just like she did before she got sick.

After she tired herself out she came and cuddled. She's gotten very snuggly and cuddly after this episode - like she knows I made her better and she's showing her gratitude.

Right now she's sulking under the bed, though, because the vet told me when she started to feel better I could try giving her the vitamins again. Mitzi wasn't too thrilled with that plan :rolleyes: :p

catmandu
02-10-2008, 12:52 PM
I THINK WE ALL WOULD LOVE IT IF WE COULD TALK TO OUR CATS AND FIND OUT WHATS AILING THEM. AS IT IS THEY SOMETIMES HIDE THE FACT THAT THEY ARE NOT FEELING WELL UNTIL ITS TOO LATE TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT!!!
:( :eek: :( :eek: :( :( :(

Barbara
02-11-2008, 07:18 AM
What wonderful news :D
With our kitties we are creating little monsters! Filou also has to eat and so we jump whenever he's hungry. Result: he comes up to 3 times per night and asks his dad for food- giving headbumpies and purring and jumping on your breast if that doesn't help ;)
And he gets it, of course.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Good news Miss Mitzi!

gini
02-11-2008, 11:06 AM
I know how you feel. When they have been ill and start feeling better and we can see the improvement - it just makes your heart sing doesn't it?

cassiesmom
02-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Awww, Mitzi, sweetheart! You can awaken me at 3 AM with purrs and head bops any time you like. The only thing I get awakened for by Cassie Cat is ... FOOD! [She knows that if she picks at her supper, and then makes a ruckus in the early hours of the morning, I will feed her.] I am so glad to read that you feel well enough to chase your tail! Hughughughughug!

RedHedd
02-12-2008, 11:22 PM
She's not out of the woods yet. I have a feeling it's the antibiotics again. She's hiding a lot, although she's still eating and drinking and snuggling at night. She'll emerge to eat, drink, pee and poop, but when she sees me, she seems to be scared that I'm going to try and give her meds and goes scampering under the bed.

I'm so distraught! Mitzi! Please get better! Please stop hiding :(

Catty1
02-13-2008, 12:20 AM
Awww....poor you and Mitzi!

Have you tried Pill Pockets with her? Then she'll see you as the source of treats instead of meds. :) Or is it the type of med you can't wrap in anything?

If the antib's are affecting her tummy a bit, try smearing some plain unflavoured yogurt on her paws and letting her lick them. Yogurt replaces the 'good' bacteria that the antib's kill (the meds are very democratic...). You can check on your vet with this too.

I'm sure she is just med-wary, that's all. Is she due for another checkup soon?

HUGS and more prayers for you and pretty Mitzi!

RedHedd
02-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Of course as soon as I hit "post" Mitzi came out of hiding, meowing for me to play with her - she's making me cuckoo! :rolleyes: So we had a lively play session with her chasing her favorite ribbon toy.

The vet was on the fence about pill-pockets because her stomach was so sensitive last week. I don't think they'd work with her anyway - she's such a wise little minx and would quickly realize that pill-pockets means meds.

I had a talk with her last night after I gave her her meds, letting her know that I know she hates them, but they're necessary to help make her better. Maybe she understood. Who knows what goes on in their little walnut-sized brains?

jenluckenbach
02-13-2008, 09:18 AM
- she's making me cuckoo! :rolleyes:
That is the sole purpose in a cat's life! (LOL)

As soon as those medicines are finished, she'll be back to her trustine ol' self.

kb2yjx
02-14-2008, 01:00 PM
AAHHH, the mystery of the CAT!!! Mitzi, you just keep on the road to getting better!! Prayers for a continued recovery!!!