PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions PTers... please!

Nobas Mom
02-02-2008, 11:43 PM
So hubby and I decided it was time to update the washer and dryer... I am in love with the look of the Whirpool Duet series, but all the reviews I've read say opposite. They say that front loaders are bad cause they use less water, therefore clothes don't seem as clean!!??!! :confused: Since this is a huge investment, I need opinions from you all as to what a good washer / dryer set would be. I don't have to have a front loader, a top loader is just fine with me... so throw out the opinions PLEASE!! :D

Karen
02-02-2008, 11:51 PM
We have a good Kenmore washer, it's a top-loader. It replaced two Maytag washers that did not last nearly long enough - one lasted less than three years, which is just shameful. So whatever you do, I'd stay away from Maytag as well as GE - two companies that used to produce good, reliable products.

Don't get me started on GE, but with what we have gone through with our refrigerator over the past 10 menths, I will never buy a GE appliance again.

Catty1
02-03-2008, 01:06 AM
In our building, there are new front-loading washers - and I love the job they do!

They do use less water without an agitator taking up space...but research the less-water idea.

Does the criticism come from companies who DON'T make front-loaders and are trying to tarnish the story?

Just for me - I would get a front-loader, for environmental reasons, and to save on some water costs also.

In fact - since I seem to be living in condo apts for the foreseeable future, I would love a stackable unit! Would that do for your needs? They are real space-savers.

Good luck in your shopping decision! :)

Glacier
02-03-2008, 01:14 AM
I have the Whirlpool Duet--both the front load washer and the matching dryer. Worth every dime. I love them! The washer will take a much bigger load of dog blankets than our old top loader. Since there's no agitator, I can safely wash alot of things that I used to have to handwash. Clothes come out very clean, stains come out easily. They are very quiet, almost no vibration even on the heavy duty spin cycle. I do tons of laundry, especially considering there's only me here most of the time! Never had a single problem with this set. I'd highly recommend them.

You should use special detergent with them though--get the stuff marked for High Efficiency washers. A friend who does appliance repairs swears that they make a difference the lifespan of these machines.

Nobas Mom
02-03-2008, 06:11 AM
In our building, there are new front-loading washers - and I love the job they do!

They do use less water without an agitator taking up space...but research the less-water idea.

Does the criticism come from companies who DON'T make front-loaders and are trying to tarnish the story?

Just for me - I would get a front-loader, for environmental reasons, and to save on some water costs also.

In fact - since I seem to be living in condo apts for the foreseeable future, I would love a stackable unit! Would that do for your needs? They are real space-savers.

Good luck in your shopping decision! :)

The opinions are from regular consumers... so I'm not sure... I'm kind of dumb when it comes to things like this... :D ... I appreciate the opinions from everyone... keep em coming!

Moesha
02-03-2008, 07:25 AM
I work for a lady, who has more money than she knows what to do with. She has the highend front loading machines. I'm amazed at the stains that she gets out of items. I thought she was very happy with it. A couple months ago, she asked me if I knew of a good washer and dryer because the clothes sour easily with the ones she has. She said that was a problem for someone else she knows that has them too. She called the company and they told her she must be using too much detergent. She said she has gone down to barely using any and still finds she has a problem. I don't know any other details than that. But she hasn't switched machines yet either.

Freedom
02-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Time to head to the library and check the Consumer Reports!
Also check the Energy Star ratings. I think Consumer Reports includes that.

Once you decide which to buy, check with your local utilities for rebate offers. These will be based on the Energy Start rating. The washer rebate will be with the electric company. The dryer rebate will be electric or gas company, depending on which you have.

ramanth
02-03-2008, 02:15 PM
My parents have had the Maytag frontloaders for a few years now and have been happy with them. :)

columbine
02-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Supposedly front loaders are less prone to breakdowns.

Lizzie
02-03-2008, 03:12 PM
I have had a Bosch front-loader for three years. It takes cat-pee stained rugs, cashmere sweaters, and everything in between and cleans them well.

caseysmom
02-03-2008, 03:55 PM
My front loader maytag needed a $400 repair after only 3 years but I think they are a lot better now. I would probably go with whirlpool or kenmore, I have heard better things about them.

No problem with the cleaning though they do fine and I buy the sears he detergent its way cheaper than tide and does a fine job. I love being able to throw hand washables in there.

Catlady711
02-03-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm in a good position to understand this.

My 9 year old top loading Kenmore 80 series bought from Sears just died last Friday (dryer was a 70 series bought at same time and it runs fine).

Upon looking underneath and inside it we discovered that the coupling that connects the motor to the gears/tranny broke. It was only made of PLASTIC and rubber!!! Looking online this seems to be a COMMON problem with newer Kenmore's. I can't believe they'd use plastic to connect two major parts. We looked online and the part is not available anymore. We debated on having ours serviced by Sears (not under warantee anymore) and they said it was $60 to have a repair man come out for an estimate, but if we decided not to let him fix it he would give us a coupon for that $60 towards the purchase of a new one at Sears.

After much discussion hubby and I decieded since the part isn't available anymore, we don't know what else may have broke also (the thing finished it's cycle broken) and since they just don't make 'em like they used to; we figured we were better off buying a new one than fixing this one.

We went to several stores to get an idea of what was available nowadays and somewhere for a starting point to research them. I looked online for reviews and found it to be VERY frustrating. ALL of the washers in my price range ($350-$500) had very few reviews and ALL the 3 name brands of ones I'd already checked out in the stores (GE, Maytag, Whirlpool) had similar complaints as you are finding.

My personal conclusions are:

1) It doesn't matter WHAT name brand washer you buy anymore. Whirlpool, Maytag and Kenmore are all owned by the SAME company and manufactured in smaller bought out companies. None of which have the older quality standards for workmanship and durability. Just pick the one that is in the price range and features you need and hope for the best. Buy from Sears or other reputable place that services what it sells and buy the extended warrantee (I normally NEVER buy those things). Have them do the installation when they deliver so they can't say you did anything wrong and then don't honor the warrantee contract.

2) ALL of the 3 companies I looked up had very similar customer service problems, none of the manufacturers want to deal with you.

3) ALL modern washers are regulated to be more energy efficient. In the case of top loading washers this means lowered wash water temps (meaning hot water isn't hot enough to kill dust mites), shorter cycles, and less aggitation/spin speeds. While this may save energy it does make it so you have to put less clothes in a load at a time to get them properly agitated and cleaned. (I'm well known for overloading my washer)

4) It's darn near IMPOSSIBLE to compare one particular machine against another, or even the same model at one store against another store. Apparently the manufacturers make a slightly different model # for EACH store that sells them. You may see a model #3456A at Lowes, and see an almost exact one at Sears but it's called #3457B instead. *sigh*

5) Front load models are supposed to be less prone to breakdowns but will cost ALOT more to have serviced when they do break. They do use less water and enengy but from what I've read requires using a special detergent. Front loaders are more inconvienent to use, bending over. (I can't have a front loader because it's in the basement where the floor always seeps water and can't have clean clothes falling in that everytime I open the door) Front loaders doors LOCK when in cycle so you can't add a sock or shirt after the cycle has started like you can with a top loader. If a front loader breaks down it may lock the door holding your clothes hostage until the repair man sets them free (saw this on a few reviews). The cost of a front loader is WAY more than a top loader, jury is still out as to whether they actually last longer than a top loader.

6) Top loading washers with the electronic door sensors are prone to do weird things (saw this on several reviews) from starting when the lid is open to starting by themselves when you bump the washer.

Anyways we ended up buying THIS (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02606702000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Washers+%26+Dryers&sName=Top-Load+Washers&filter=Interior+Size+%28Washer%29%7C3.2+cu.+ft.%5E Brand%7CWhirlpool%5EColor+Family%7CWhite) one from Sears. Actually that's not the exact one we're getting because I can't find a single website that has the actual models the stores are actually selling! *frustrated sigh* But this one is very similar. I did buy the 5 year warrantee that coveres parts/labor and a once a year service maint call no charge for only $149. It doesn't have the old fashioned pin that goes in the hole to indicate that the lid is closed (this one has a switch in the back triggered by the lid) but it does NOT have the electronic sensor and has normal dial type controls not the electronic touch pads (which I read some not nice stuff about).

The Kenmore dryer has never given us any problems in the 9 years we've had it other than you can't dry shoes in it (long other story).

The new washer is supposed to be delivered this Tuesday. We have a TON of laundry that piled up since the old one broke so the new one will get a good test break in period. I can update anyone on the results compared to the old Kenmore if anyone is actually interested.

kitten645
02-03-2008, 08:11 PM
I ALWAYS go by Consumer Reports for this type of info. They have the resources to check out every angle. You can go online for a small fee and look it up. For large purchases like this, I always check them out. Haven't steered me wrong so far!
Claudia

Jessika
02-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Now I'm not sure or anything, maybe it's just my in-law's front loaders, but it seems that since hubby and I are staying with them, all of my clothes are getting torn up. =/ The last three days I've worn shirts that have mysterious holes torn in them, and I can't think of any other way it's happened besides the washer and dryer process. Now this could be a fluke thing, but hubby and I have NOT changed our washing habits besides the actual washer and dryer. The only difference is their's are front loading.

I'm actually sorely disappointed because my $100 Cardinals jersey is now ruined.

EDIT: And on another note of front-loaders, both my in-laws AND my parents now own front loaders, and I have not heard anything about having to use a "special detergent". I believe both families use the same detergent as they have in the past.

caseysmom
02-03-2008, 10:53 PM
They say you are suppose to use he because the regular detergents causes too many suds for the amount of water, if you use regular you are suppose to use less. The he detergent is pricey though.

andrea2712
02-04-2008, 03:25 AM
We have owned a front loading Bosch dryer and washer for the last 3 years and love it. Plenty of functions, cleans very good and drys very fast.
We are completely satisfied with the purchase and performance.

Jessika
02-04-2008, 12:44 PM
They say you are suppose to use he because the regular detergents causes too many suds for the amount of water, if you use regular you are suppose to use less. The he detergent is pricey though.
Oh I see; I've always used less detergent to begin with though because my old assistant lead (before she was fired hah) said she learned in school through tests that the "recommended amount" for doing laundry is two to three times too much. When you're done there are still suds left in the clothing. So I've always used 1/3 the "recommended amount" while doing laundry and everything gets cleaned just fine. PLUS the detergent lasts soo much longer :)

Catlady711
02-05-2008, 06:02 PM
If anyone is interested my washer was delivered this morning. I won't go into details about it unless requested as I stated before.

Moesha
02-10-2008, 04:57 PM
I was wondering how the washer was working out for you.

shepgirl
02-10-2008, 05:18 PM
I have the front loading washer and dryer stacked set and am very satisfied with performance and how clean the clothes come out. Very quiet and no vibrating. I use the regular liquid soaps and have no problem, but the salesperson did tell us to use less than for top loaders. So less soap, less water and sparkling clothes with savings on both soap and water. And I can put double the amount of clothes in since the agitator isn't there.

Grace
02-10-2008, 05:20 PM
We bought a Whirlpool Cabrio last spring - I LOVE it!!

It's a top loader with front loading action - no agitator. Have to use the HE detergent. Since we have a very good water softener, I use no more than 1 tablespoon for a full load. Absolutely no complaints. Did I say it has a glass top - so I get my thrills by watching the clothes wash :D

Over the previous years, we had had 2 front-loading Maytags. Never again. My DIL has one, though, and loves hers.

https://offer.whirlpool.com/images/kbiz_sweepstakes.jpg

sasvermont
02-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Hettie (http://www.fixya.com/Brands/Images/K/Kenmore/118x100/22843103.JPG) I love my Kenmore He3t washer and dryer9 front loader washer and gigantic dryer). I have service contracts for them, so the repairs, although they have been few, were covered under the service deals. I use very little water, detergent, energy etc. Mine are so efficient. The clothes are nearly dry when they come out of the washer, as the spin cycle is deadly fast and spins most of the water out of the items. I just love, love mine washer and dryer. Sears has good service around here. I have Kenmore Elite stove and freezer as well. I am a real Sears fan. Maybe I should work for them? :eek: ;)

Catlady711
02-10-2008, 08:11 PM
I was wondering how the washer was working out for you.

I had thought I wouldn't like the new washer as much as my old one because they just don't make one like that anymore. Well I couldn't be more wrong. In fact the differences between them makes the new one even better! (except I still really, really miss my warm water rinse cycle though)

The new Whirlpool is more noisy than the old one. I keep it in my basement so it's not to much of a problem, although I can hear it a bit upstairs.

It's slower to fill than the old one was, but sloshes the clothes around MUCH better. My clothes are so much cleaner now that it makes me feel like I've been wearing dirty clothes for 9 years with the old washer. I've got whiter socks, and rugs that no longer are grungy. I thought with the wider basket and smaller agitator it wouldn't do very well, but I was wrong, it actually gives the clothes more room to slosh around.

I'm using about 1/2 as much soap and 3/4 as much fabric softner. I just can't get over the difference in how well this washer cleans. It suds up great with less detergent than I used to use. I'm also making a point not to be tempted to overload it.

I'd read so many bad customer reviews on them not cleaning well, and dancing across the room when spinning. I've even done rugs and jeans in it and the thing stays put. Good thing too because we have to have the washer/dryer up on a platform to keep them off the floor. Dancing washers could be detrimental if they danced off the platform. The top covering shakes alot when it spins to where you can't set anything on top of it or it eventually falls off, BUT when I look underneath the feet of the washer never move a bit! I had also read reviews that the hot water doesn't actually get hot, but this one is full hot almost to scalding, so it will kill those nasty dust mites good.

The basket on this one is wider than my old one so now I don't have to stand on my tiptoes to get the last of the clothes out of the bottom of it.

All in all I'm very, very happy with it and could kick myself for ever thinking the old one was that great. Assuming this one lasts as long or longer than the old one did I'd be happy to buy a Whirlpool washer again.

Queen of Poop
02-10-2008, 08:24 PM
I have the maytag front loading washer/dryer. I absolutely HATE the washer. Everything comes out a tangled mess!!! The dryer rocks.