02-02-2008, 12:52 PM
I don't think so. It's sick. :(

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=4232876

Taz_Zoee
02-02-2008, 01:46 PM
That is disgusting! :mad: I'm glad there weren't any pictures. :(

Alysser
02-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Personally, I think it's a bit nasty and I'm sure many other people agree. But really, every artists has a different view of the world and their art. To some people, it's art. Just like to some people a dot on a canvas is art. Many people have different preferences in art, and apparently this guy has a very bizarre one. JMO

Kfamr
02-02-2008, 03:00 PM
While somewhat gross and different from the norm, I don't see an issue as long as he's not purposely killing the animals for art. From the sounds of it he's taking them from the trash, what's the harm if they're just going to rot away in a trash heap anyways.

lizbud
02-02-2008, 04:47 PM
What if he wanted to use human body parts, would that be ART too?

I think it's disrespectful to display human or animal parts & call it anything
but vile. The bodies should be returned to the ground. IMO.

Kfamr
02-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Actually, there's an exhibit that tours the US called "Bodies" - it's actual human bodies, sliced open so that you can see ever single muscle in the body. They've got fetuses, brains, hearts, etc. Rather educational and interesting, I've visited it.

Just about the same as someone mounting a dear head or a fish they've caught, IMO. While I don't find it the most appealing thing, atleast it isn't going to rot in a trash heap.

Different strokes for different folks (in this case, different medias for different artists. I use photography, he uses bodies that were in the trash.)

caseysmom
02-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Yep Kay that exhibit is here in my town, I have been wanting to go see it.

sparks19
02-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Gross lol

I guess I just don't get "art"

I mean... some guy peed in a jar and put a crucifix in it and it was art.

With some things out there that qualify as art.... well my dogs make extraordinary pieces of art everyday ;) I just dont' display them.

Beezer made one that looked like a church... even had the steeple.... LOL perhaps I shall display it and someone will buy it and use it as their centerpiece for thanksgiving dinner... who knows.

I just don't "get" a lot of "art"

columbine
02-03-2008, 02:27 PM
I'd call it recycling.

Catsnclay
02-03-2008, 04:03 PM
I guess I just don't get "art"

I mean... some guy peed in a jar and put a crucifix in it and it was art.

I just don't "get" a lot of "art"

And that is exactly what "art" means.

Believe it or not someone, somewhere out there will like it and pay big $$$ for it. Then it gets in the news (like this one did) and the "artist" gets exactly what he is looking for:

FAME

Sadly the meaning of art has a very broad prospective.

lizbud
02-03-2008, 04:38 PM
And that is exactly what "art" means.

Believe it or not someone, somewhere out there will like it and pay big $$$ for it. Then it gets in the news (like this one did) and the "artist" gets exactly what he is looking for:

FAME

Sadly the meaning of art has a very broad prospective.

I would say his work is beyond Avant-garde. I know art is subjective
but come on, ths guy is a bit off the scale. What good does it bring to
the world? :confused:

Lady's Human
02-03-2008, 04:50 PM
In 100 years will anyone remember him?

Probably not.

Miss Z
02-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Sick? Yes, a little. But dead and decaying things are used by many artists across the globe. If people want to pay big money to see something from a dustbin and kid themselves there's some inspirational meaning to it, then they can do as they so please, I will not be joining them! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

The thing that irks me about art like this is 'artists' can stick every day objects in an exhibit, give it a fancy title, and somebody with more money than sense will say they 'understand' it. It doesn't take a lot of talent, just wit. And there'll always be really, really talented people out there who can draw and paint and sculpt magnificently, yet they'll never taste the cash raked in by the guy who painted a blue square and labelled it 'To the end of infinity within the chasm of the mind' (made that up, lol http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif ).

Guess I'm not very good at seeing with my mind. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

smokey the elder
02-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Well, relics of Saints were big business in the Middle Ages; this is different how?

lizbud
02-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Well, relics of Saints were big business in the Middle Ages; this is different how?

What do you mean "big business" ?

Relics were kept in churchs & chapels as objects of reverence. They were
not displayed as Art.

K9soul
02-04-2008, 07:29 PM
I find it disturbing. It seems to me some "artists" just try to find something macabre and shocking in order to gain an audience and a name rather than truly trying to create something artistic. I don't see a correlation between saint relics which, although they may have been a business and been used by swindlers, was supposed to represent a holy and sacred object. I also don't feel this has any purpose the way a scientific type exhibit does that shows what the inside of the human body and organs look like. That's how I see it.

Jessika
02-05-2008, 12:01 AM
I don't know. I have mixed feelings. I wouldn't go see it, but then again I really really wanted to see The "Bodies" display when it was in Branson, Missouri. I'm actually kicking myself that I DIDN'T go see it. So... I'm not sure. Art is in the eye of the beholder.

TamanduaGirl
02-05-2008, 02:52 AM
Stewie just hopes no one makes fun of his paintings. He tries really hard.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2224/2156696498_e8a57d2f83.jpg

Actually in theory I might go see such a thing but in reality, who has time and money to waist on it. One of my favorite artists is Alexis Rockman. He did paintings of animals sewn together and other weird things. But they did make statements some being inspired by actual nasty lab experiments. He did some really pretty art too. So it would be of interest to see but it would be better if it were actual taxidermy of them or even use the new freeze dry process. There's no real skill to just sewing them and sticking them in jars.

lady_zana
02-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Stewie just hopes no one makes fun of his paintings. He tries really hard.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2224/2156696498_e8a57d2f83.jpg

Why would anyone make fun of Stewie and his work? It's beautiful and so is he! What a lovely and unique boy! :)

I can see the point between this and the saints' relics - most of the 'relics' were old bones dug from the trash or the hearts and gizzards of animals. I think it's the same as this in that people are willing to be okay with keeping thing and viewing things that we would find macrabe because we think there is a 'point' to them rather than just being something dead.

What do you mean "big business" ?

Relics were kept in churchs & chapels as objects of reverence. They were
not displayed as Art.

Actually, the relics could be bought by anyone. Pardoners (like in Chauncer's Canterbury Tales) would sell "Saints Toes" or hearts or pieces of clothing to peasants as a way to resolve them of their sins. Naturally, they weren't really the saint's toes - unless it's common for saints to have twenty toes on one foot! They'd need at least that many for all the peasants who bought one to have one!

CountryWolf07
02-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Actually, there's an exhibit that tours the US called "Bodies" - it's actual human bodies, sliced open so that you can see ever single muscle in the body. They've got fetuses, brains, hearts, etc. Rather educational and interesting, I've visited it.

Just about the same as someone mounting a dear head or a fish they've caught, IMO. While I don't find it the most appealing thing, atleast it isn't going to rot in a trash heap.

Different strokes for different folks (in this case, different medias for different artists. I use photography, he uses bodies that were in the trash.)

I agree with Kay... however, I have no interest into visiting the exhibition.