PDA

View Full Version : OMG!! i saw finch eggs in my finch cage today..

crazyboutanimals
02-02-2008, 12:19 PM
so, as i was getting up this morning to do the pet duty for the day :rolleyes: ... i noticed that there were 4 finch eggs in the nest. :D :D ... here is what i have set up for them, please tell me if i am doing right!

i have them in a LARGE cage with a nest area ( of course)
the temp in the room is well over 80 ( because i have heat lamps for my turtles and fish)
they get fresh fruit once in a while
they have egg enriched food
the room is very very quiet, no pups go in there unless we are in there watching them...

i also called the local pet store and she said that they will hatch 14- 28 days from the last egg laid.. so, i just want to make sure that i am doing everything just right.. the lady before me said she had them lay 4 clutches the entire time they had them ( not sure how long) and the never hatched, but, she had them in the kitchen with little children always around. very very noisy :mad: ..

so, i want to make sure that i am doing everything right!?!
i am soo excited that they have laid eggs

i do not want to handle the eggs because they are not use to us as of yet. ( we have only had them just over a month.

So, finch people let me know if i am going to be successful. :D :cool:

3muttsandaboston
02-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Sounds like your doing everything right. Finches are great parents and only require food to raise babies. What color are your finches? I have 7 of them. Zebra finches are my favorite!

crazyboutanimals
02-03-2008, 01:25 PM
my finches are Zebra.. her is the pic we got from the person we rescued them from..

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff220/pupsinlove2007/Photo-0011.jpg

we have not been able to get any good pics of them lately, simply because our camcorder is on order :rolleyes: , but, when we get it we will so get some video of them and all the other pets we have.

finches have always been my fav, we grew up with them, sadly they were too young to care for their eggs :( .. that is why i hope this pair of finches will be successful.. :D

3muttsandaboston
02-03-2008, 01:42 PM
As long as you have a male and female they should hatch. Make sure to give them some egg and veggies when the babies do hatch. They will eat about 10 xs more when they are feeding babies. Good luck! I have had several clutches and as long as they are well fed and left alone they should do great.