PDA

View Full Version : I'm worried; Update page 3 post 33

Freedom
02-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Dad got in his pajamas and went to bed about 7:30, much as always. His blood glucose was slightly high but not like has been. Tomorrow he is going over to my brother's.

I'm sitting here watching the start of Numb3rs on TV, and Dad walks in, all
dressed, and says, "are you ready to take me to your brother's?"

I told him it is 10 at night, I haven't been to bed yet. He says, "do you
really hate your brother THAT much you would tell me that?"

I got up to get a reading with him. I can't figure what is going on, I figure
he must be low. He gets into a pushing match with me, I am NOT going in his room, I am NOT taking a reading he doesn't need one, I will just try to kill
him.

WHAT???!!!!

Well, we get in and I take his reading and that is fine. I keep saying, "look
out the window, it is dark, you need to go back to bed." So he finally says he will put on his pajamas again and go to bed. I come back out here. Next thing he walks past.

"Where you going?"

He replies, "I'm going to take a walk in the park."

"What, NOW?!!" Now I am REALLY alarmed. "Which park?"

" The one in Boston."

Well we have ANOTHER set to and I get him sitting in his recliner. He has some iced tea. He is still all dressed.

Would someone PLEASE tell me what the heck is going ON here???!!!!

I have no idea what is going on, either on the TV show or here in my own home. My heart is pounding a mile a minute, he is sitting here all dressed and
drinking his iced tea. Maybe I better go get dressed?

ARGH!!!
--
Sandie

kimlovescats
02-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Sandie, has he had any dementia spells before? Could this be Alzheimer's starting? Did you get to test his BG again? I'd be worried too! I guess you'll just have to keep a close eye on him. Be sure he doesn't sneak out on you after you go to bed!

Edit to add: Can you check his BP? Maybe it is really high?

Hugs,
Kim

Freedom
02-01-2008, 09:28 PM
He hasn't had anything even close to this. He mixes up the names of the pets, and of the flowers in the garden this past summer. But I just figured that was old age! This is way too extreme.

It was only a matter of minutes, I didn't really see any point in testing again. Especially since it was such an ordeal. Sigh.

I keep askin ghim if he knows what time it is, he is getting sick of my asking that. Gotta think of something else to ask I guess.

caseysmom
02-01-2008, 09:29 PM
I don't think alzheimers would come on that suddenly and intense, my dad's came on gradually.

I had a friend at work on a liver transplant list, his liver was ruined and something would build up in his body that he took meds for. One time at work he was like that because those things had built up, I called an ambulance for him, it was pretty scary. He got a liver transplant eventually and is doing really great.

dukedogsmom
02-01-2008, 09:33 PM
That does sound awfully scary. If he isn't better soon, I'd call an ambulance. With him in that state, sounds too dangerous to try and drive him there. I'm thinking it might be dementia but he really does need to see a doctor soon. I'm so sorry you're both going through this.

kimlovescats
02-01-2008, 09:34 PM
I don't think alzheimers would come on that suddenly and intense, my dad's came on gradually.

I had a friend at work on a liver transplant list, his liver was ruined and something would build up in his body that he took meds for. One time at work he was like that because those things had built up, I called an ambulance for him, it was pretty scary. He got a liver transplant eventually and is doing really great.

I agree that Alz. wouldn't just show up that quickly but I thought maybe she had seen a few signs beforehand.

Maybe you should check his Blood Pressure? Maybe it is really high?

Lizzie
02-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Mini-stroke is my guess, though it is only a guess. I worked with a woman who was about your father's age and she would occasionally get totally confused at work, not knowing the time or date or what she had done. It turned out that she was having tiny strokes. They don't cause any paralysis, mainly real confusion. It's been a long time since I was a nurse, but in your place I would call for a cab to take him to ER.

caseysmom
02-01-2008, 09:41 PM
I agree with Val, this probably needs medical attention right away and could be dangerous if he tries to leave. My father got lost a few times and it was really scary, luckily good people found him and called us.

dukedogsmom
02-01-2008, 09:47 PM
If it is mini strokes, that's nothing to wait on. I think you need to get him help right away. This is nothing to try to figure out on the internet. Keep us updated.

Sparklecoon
02-01-2008, 09:48 PM
He is not really exhibiting the signs of a TIA (Transient eschemic attack) AKA a mini-stroke. But if it's still very much out of the ordinary I'd take him to an ER immediately for a work up. With a TIA you'll see alot of the signs of a stroke with the difference being they only last a couple minutes. Signs of TIA include

Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body
Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
Sudden, severe headache with no known cause

It sounds alot like sundowners.

Sundowners syndrome, also known as sundowning, is a condition often associated with the early stages of Alzheimer's, although a definitive connection has not been made. Sundowners syndrome can also be considered a mood disorder or even a sleep disorder. Sufferers experience periods of extreme agitation and confusion during the late afternoon or early evening hours, leading to irritability towards caregivers or hospital staff. It was once believed that sundowners syndrome was a result of missed day/night light cues, hence the sudden onset at sundown. Current research points towards more organic causes such as drug interactions or stress associated with lower cognitive function.

Caregivers and nursing home staff members can often anticipate an elderly patient's bout of sundowners syndrome. A period of irrational thoughts and irritable behavior might begin after the last meal of the day and last until bedtime, for example. One theory concerning sundowners syndrome is that the constant daily mental processes for normal living can become overwhelming for the elderly during evening hours. They simply have too much incoming information and their restricted cognitive abilities become overloaded. The result is a period of irritability and negative thoughts.

In the hospital we see it alot. An older adult will start to become confused when the sun goes down. It sounds like a load of garbage but it's a genuine phenomenom. If you don't end up going to the ER tonight I'd make an appt. with his physician to talk over what happened this evening. If it is some sort of alzheimers/dementia there are ways to slow the progression.

Other questions of mentation to ask are if he knows the date, where he's at, the current president.

Freedom
02-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks al.

Well, we had a very normal conversation and now he is going to change and go to bed. I wanted to take his BP, he said no. I suggested we go to the hospital, nope. I asked him what he thinks happened, he says he isn't even thinking about it.

I can't MAKE him go to the ER, tho' I LIKED the suggestion and was ready to go. I've had the ambulance and EMTs here a few times in the past when he has refused treatment. (And plenty of times when he DID get treatment.) Guess it is all over for now, whatever the heck it is.

I WILL phone his doc on Monday. (Just like with the pets, things happen on the weekend! :rolleyes: )

Karen
02-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Sandra, how old is your Dad? How recently has he seen a doctor? Has he shown other symptoms of short-term memory loss?

Pam
02-01-2008, 09:52 PM
You must be so frightened!

Mini-stroke is my guess, though it is only a guess.

I would tend to agree. My father had a major stroke and while it was occurring he was talking a lot of nonsense and seeing things that weren't there. I would try and get him to a hospital tonight. If it is a major stroke coming on there are things that can be done early on to prevent permanent damage from occurring. ((((hugs))))

Freedom
02-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Sandra, how old is your Dad? How recently has he seen a doctor? Has he shown other symptoms of short-term memory loss?

Dad turned 81 at Thanksgiving. He has some issues which his doc says are just the normal part of aging, nothing dramatic. His last primary doc appt. was in November, his last diabetes doc appt. was 3 weeks back.

Sparklecoon
02-01-2008, 09:58 PM
The more I hear the more it sounds like a sundowner related issue. Mention it to the Doc when you go for the visit.

kimlovescats
02-01-2008, 10:00 PM
I was thinking stroke as well, that's why I suggested taking his BP. Think you could get him to take an aspirin before he goes to bed?

Freedom
02-01-2008, 10:02 PM
the one thing about sundowners - our sunset was about 4:45 -- many many hours back! But I will mention it.

Dad is in bed, and doesn't want to discuss it with me anymore. (I keep trying)

Guess that is it. Thans much for all your thoughts. Just having someone to 'talk to' helped.

Men! Parents! Aging! Geesh!

Freedom
02-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Oh Kim, I was typing and missed your post.

Dad takes an aspirin nightly on his way to bed (along iwth 3 other pills.) He took all his pills tonight but I'll see if I can get him to take one more.

kimlovescats
02-01-2008, 10:06 PM
the one thing about sundowners - our sunset was about 4:45 -- many many hours back! But I will mention it.

Dad is in bed, and doesn't want to discuss it with me anymore. (I keep trying)

Guess that is it. Thans much for all your thoughts. Just having someone to 'talk to' helped.

Men! Parents! Aging! Geesh!

It is pretty apparent that my mother has Alzheimer's although my Dad is in complete denial. Anyway, one of her latest things is to call me in the middle of the night! She has always been one to be in bed by 8:00 or 8:30 p.m. She will call and not even realize that it is midnight or even 2:00 a.m.! :eek: She called last week to ask me if I put that pretty thing on the back of her toilet. She couldn't even tell me what it was, but I hadn't even been there in days and have no idea what was on the back of her toilet. Anyway, I did some more Alzheimer's research and getting the sleep schedule out of sync and getting night and day confused is typical. :(

Grace
02-01-2008, 10:15 PM
My guess would be a TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack) - the mini-stroke that others mentioned.

You checked his blood sugar and it was okay - were you able to check his BP?

If he has another one over the weekend, take him to the ER.

K9karen
02-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Yikes! My aunt had a stroke last month and now is experiencing some of the side affects mentioned. She's refusing blood work, blood pressure checks, etc, because she doesn't realize she's not OK. She feels fine, although the stroke affected her cognizant and speech skills. However, my dad, who had Parkinsons. suddenly became delusional and disorientated due to the side effects of so many medications.

Try to make notes of your dad's behavior to give to the doctor. I hope it's nothing serious and just a passing episode.

Rachel
02-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Yikes! My aunt had a stroke last month and now is experiencing some of the side affects mentioned. She's refusing blood work, blood pressure checks, etc, because she doesn't realize she's not OK. She feels fine, although the stroke affected her cognizant and speech skills. However, my dad, who had Parkinsons. suddenly became delusional and disorientated due to the side effects of so many medications.

Try to make notes of your dad's behavior to give to the doctor. I hope it's nothing serious and just a passing episode.

Karen makes a good point about another thing to consider - side effects to his medications.

I do hope he is back to normal this morning, but in any event I would certainly make an appointment for him to see his doctor as soon as possible. Your notes here of exactly what went down are precise. Take them with you when you go.

Medusa
02-02-2008, 08:06 AM
When my dad was in his 80's, he had episodes similar to the one you just described, only scarier. My mom started to sit on the sofa and he said "Don't sit there! You'll sit on that little girl!" Mom called me terrified that it might be Alzheimers. As it turns out, his medication was causing him to behave in that manner. He didn't have high BP or diabetes but he did have heart problems towards the end, although he never did have a heart attack. Perhaps your dr. could check his meds and see if that could be the culprit. Once they adjusted my dad's meds, he never had another episode like that.

Ginger's Mom
02-02-2008, 09:38 AM
My first thought was that it may have been a TIA, too, because I saw similar types of episodes with my mother. Although I see some people have suggested that it may be a reaction to his medication (I don't know if it has recently been changed or not), and that could be a possibility. How is your father this morning? Is he reacting normally? Does he seem slightly slower to respond? I am assuming he has no memory of what happened last night.

Pam
02-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Just checking in to see how your dad is this morning.

Randi
02-02-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm sorry your dad is going senile, I know how worrying it is for you and the family. :( My mom told me one time, that when she came back from her shopping, my dad was on his way down the stairs in his slippers - when she asked "where are you going" he replied "off to work". This was a few years after he stopped working. Luckily she got him back up.

Apart from the advice you have been given, I can only add this: make sure he has a pice of paper in his pockets with a tel. no and address on, in case he does wander off. Oh and keep an extra eye on him if it's cold outside!

I hope he'll be better and you don't have to worry. :)

Freedom
02-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Only now had time to get back on the PC.

Did not check his BP, he wouldn't let me. He was fine this AM, and he remembers it all and refuses to talk about. He went to my brother's as planned.

I did tell him last evening that it could be the signs of a stroke and maybe we should go to the ER. No, he put on his pajamas and went to bed. Stubborn! He never goes to a doctor willingly; he has had diabetes for almost 10 years now and is still in denial about that. So all this part of it is normal for him.

I've got call his doctor on my Monday morning "to do list." That will be the FIRST thing I do!

WELOVESPUPPIES
02-02-2008, 04:02 PM
I was thinking sundowners or TIA also. Please keep us posted. I will be keeping you and your dad in my thoughts and prayers. ((hugs))

krazyaboutkatz
02-02-2008, 04:57 PM
I sure hope that whatever is going on with your father isn't too serious and can be easily fixed. Too bad he's so stubborn. My dad is a bit like this too but he does go to his doctors appointments and have bloodwork taken without any problems. I'll be keeping your father in my thoughts and prayers and I hope to hear some good news from you soon. Please take care.

Daisy and Delilah
02-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Sandie, it sounds like what we went through with my Grandmother. I hope your Dad is okay and has no more of those scary spells. It must have scared the bejunior out of you :( {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

elizabethann
02-03-2008, 10:50 AM
My first thought was dementia. I think you should call your Dad's doctor on Monday. Somebody else suggested his medication and that may be the problem. I hope it's his medication, that way they can readjust it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hellow
02-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Well, as some of you may know my mom has siezures. Well, sometimes she has them without all the shaking, etc. We never even notice until she asks somthing out of the ordinary like "where am i?" Mabye your dad is having the same things too?

Freedom
02-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Just thought I would update this thread. We have just returned from the doctor.

She said this is just the natural progression of memory loss into dementia. She never used the word Alzheimer's, but it was hanging in the air over all 3 of us. She is referring Dad to a neurologist for assessment and meds. Sigh. I had an aunt get Alzheimer's and die 2 years back.

She also mentioend Sundowner's as some of you had.

I asked about TIA or mini stroke, and if I should have dragged him to the ER. She said there is not much they could have done, take some blood work, ring up a bill, but she really didn't think that was an issue here. She said it would have been "nice" if he would have permitted me to take his blood pressure (she looked right AT dad when she said this) but it would not have made a difference in treatment.

She told me to expect more of this. To just repeat and repeat getting him to see reality -- show him the time, show him it is dark out. She said it never gets through to them the 1st or second time, so I ahve to keep saying it over and over.

Any time there is a saftety issue, she told me don't hesitate to call 911, but htis time around it didn't sound like that was needed, either.

We will have the referral tomorrow and will proceed from there. Sigh.

Daisy and Delilah
02-04-2008, 02:17 PM
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}
Sandie, I know how hard this can be. Please PM me anytime to talk. :(

Pam
02-04-2008, 02:34 PM
I am glad she didn't think it was a TIA. If it would have been you would have to watch carefully for more of them to occur. Even so, you should watch (and I know you will) in the future should he have any weakness on one side or, as in my dad's case, one side of his mouth went down in the beginning of his stroke. That is when a trip to the ER would be necessary.

Just thought I would update this thread. We have just returned from the doctor.

She said this is just the natural progression of memory loss into dementia. She never used the word Alzheimer's, but it was hanging in the air over all 3 of us. She is referring Dad to a neurologist for assessment and meds. Sigh. I had an aunt get Alzheimer's and die 2 years back.

I have worried that my mom might be getting Alzheimers. The caretakers where she lives tell me it is dementia because she doesn't have any of the other behaviors associated with Alzheimers. I wonder if dementia could lead to Alzheimers. I sure hope not. :( As a precaution she is on Aricept which is an Alzheimers medication. I guess they feel it can't hurt. I hope you get some encouragement from the neurologist. Your dad is probably as upset about all of this as you are. We will be thinking of you both. (((hugs)))

Grace
02-04-2008, 03:58 PM
FYI - there is Alzheimers and there is Senile Dementia. There is a difference.

My mother had the latter - she always knew her name - who she was. Problem being she thought she was 9 years old and was waiting for her mother and brother to come and take her home to West Street. See, she knew her name, and she knew where she lived - when she was small. She didn't know me, or my brother, or her brother 'cause he was 90 and in her mind her was only 13.

Both are bad.

dukedogsmom
02-11-2008, 02:21 PM
How's your dad?

Muddy4paws
02-11-2008, 06:09 PM
:(

How upsetting, I hope they can do as much as they can for your dad.

cassiesmom
02-11-2008, 06:13 PM
thinking of you today, Sandie - prayers and (((HUGS)))

gini
02-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Let me just offer you some prayers - for you and for your Dad. What a difficult set of events for you to have to deal with. God bless you!

Freedom
02-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Hi All --

Dad has been fine all week. Better than he was that Friday night and Saturday but not as good as he was prior to all that happening. So I guess he is getting older and whatever he has is progressing. We don't see the specialist for another few weeks.

I scared myself silly this past Saturday. He has decided to take Marlin for a walk around the block, did that Friday and again Saturday. (Neither one of them is interested in dealing with the Arctic blast visiting us, so they haven't gone since.) So I see them off Saturday and settle down; I MUST have fallen asleep, but I didn't KNOW that. I woke to see it was snowing out and they have been gone 40 minutes! I panic, get ready, dash through the kitchen to the car, drive all around, can't find them anywhere. Return home ready to phone the police for help and . . . the TV is on. Dad is sitting in his chair. WHAT???

They went on their walk and returned, Dad took off his coat, got the harness off of Marlin. Then he checked on me, saw I was asleep so he sat and read the newspaper in another room so as not to wake me. He saw me go flying through the kitchen, no clue what THAT was about, so he turned on the TV.

Do you think I am nervous? Just a wee bit? :rolleyes:

Pam
02-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Hi All --

Return home ready to phone the police for help and . . . the TV is on. Dad is sitting in his chair. WHAT???

They went on their walk and returned, Dad took off his coat, got the harness off of Marlin. Then he checked on me, saw I was asleep so he sat and read the newspaper in another room so as not to wake me. He saw me go flying through the kitchen, no clue what THAT was about, so he turned on the TV.

Do you think I am nervous? Just a wee bit? :rolleyes:

Now it's Dad's turn to worry about you! :p Seriously, I am glad there haven't been any more "spells." Please do update us after he has seen the specialist. I hope it is just normal aging with him. :)

K9karen
02-11-2008, 11:58 PM
It was sweet of your dad to let you sleep in peace! :)

I know you saw the doc etc..but you mentioned he has diabetes, so maybe his blood sugar was down. Anyway, I'm relieved you got him to the doctor so everything is on record. Praying your dad doesn't have another episode. Don't forget to take care of yourself.