PDA

View Full Version : possible "new" used car, wth kelly blue book

IRescue452
02-01-2008, 02:08 PM
I've been searching the past two weeks for a used car under $1000 to drive for the winter. Nothing fancy but need to last me a few months. It's winter in WI so you have to beat people off with a stick to get a front wheel drive winter beater. Honestly, I called one person two hours after he put an ad on craigslist, and the car was gone, and three other people had already called him as well.

So finally I got one before a million other people could call. It's a classic. A 1988 buick electra. The guy is willing to bring it to me from 20 miles away, so I know it will run. It's not going to be pretty. I'm prepared for the worst. I didn't even ask which trim model it was (there are 4 for that year) I don't care at this point.

Anywho, I'm paying $900 for this thing if it checks out. The kelly blue book price is $300-500. Where the heck am I going to find a running car for $300?!! I can't even buy half a car for that where I live. Maybe in the mountain ranges of Chille I can buy a car that cheap, but we're talking the suburbs of WI. I think the kelly blue book needs to catch up with the times by about 10 years.

davidpizzica
02-01-2008, 03:18 PM
That is one massive car! You have the same problem we have in Pennsylvania. It's tough to buy a winter beater here, too. We use salt on our roads here and the cars almost rust before our eyes! Good luck with this car and maybe it won't be as bad of a car as you think!

IRescue452
02-01-2008, 04:20 PM
I know, massive, with a bench seat. I've always wanted an old car like that! I'll have to do some body work eventually. I just hope I can reach the pedals, I'm 5'0".

Well, its not coming today. He was having the brakes done and it was supposed to be ready this morning. But they weren't finished until 2pm and he can't get somebody to drive down with him tonight. I told him that was fine though, I'd rather have the brakes finished than not have them done at all.

Kinda sucks though. I had my grandfather coming to look at it today. He's a big guy that is not somebody you want to cross. I wanted him here because while somebody might try to rip me off, nobody is going to mess with him.

IRescue452
02-02-2008, 01:35 PM
I got the car! Its the limited electra trim type. It is not a boat at all. All I can say is wow. I'm shocked at the condition. Its almost in perfect condition (so it would blue book at $900). I can't believe this car lived in WI. There is no rust under the car whatsoever. A little on the door panel and wheel well. The engine was in great shape (some hoses and whatnot had been replaced). The brakes are new from yesterday. The bench seat is one that splits in the middle so I can pull it up as far as I like. Everything is power option and everything works. Great shape. They even had the headliner fixed with metal strips so it can't fall anymore. I've just got to get used to how easy the car handles. My skylark was a demon when it came to handling so I'm used to flooring the gas and cranking the steering wheel. Hopefully the ice will melt on the roads in a few days so I can take it out.

Karen
02-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Sounds great, congratulations!

Ginger's Mom
02-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Very good. I can tell you are excited about it. :) Congratulations.

shepgirl
02-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Bet that car will hold the road better than the cars today, they were heavier in those days...sounds like you got a great deal.