PDA

View Full Version : I Need Another Knee Surgery:(

Daisy and Delilah
02-01-2008, 02:02 PM
I never thought I would have to deal with this but it is real and I'm trying to come to grips with it.

What we originally thought was a torn ligament, is a failed total knee replacement. It seems my, now retired, doctor botched it up. My second opinion doctor showed me the deterioration of his work on the x-rays I had to bring with me.

Some of you may remember when I got the new knee in May of last year. Apparently, it has been loosening all along and it needs to be redone. I am devastated to learn this news. On the other hand, it explains alot of the difficulty I've been having for a couple of months. It is a bright light at the end of the tunnel to know it can probably be fixed.

I am going to my new doctor this afternoon to find out the new surgery date. The pain is unreal, it's so intense. This is the reason I haven't been on the board much lately.

I would love to hear from anyone that's ever been through this or heard about someone that has.

I told Daisy and Delilah to get their nursing uniforms out again. I told my kids as well cause.......here we go again. :(

lvpets2002
02-01-2008, 02:40 PM
:( Oh I am so sorry your having to go through this much discomfort & pain.. Best Wishes for Speedy Recovery.. Sending Lots of Prayers..

davidpizzica
02-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Oh no! My prayers and thoughts go out to you! I hate to hear that you have to go through the pain and discomfort a second time. Believe me I know what the pain was like the first time. If you feel like talking to someone, you can always PM me anytime. Gentle {{{HUGS}}} to you.

petslover
02-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Oh gosh, that is aggravating. Can't they give you pain medicine at the moment? I hope you start to feel better soon.

Ginger's Mom
02-01-2008, 03:08 PM
I am so sorry to hear that you have to go through surgery again, but I hope that it will truly put an end to your knee pain this time. {{{Hugs}}}

Alysser
02-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Terry, I'm sorry you need another surgery. That really bites. :( Please keep us updated!

Freedom
02-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Good wishes for you, Terry, that they can fit you in quickly, make you comfortable until then, and get you all fixed up properly!

Catsnclay
02-01-2008, 05:31 PM
It seems my, now retired, doctor botched it up. My second opinion doctor showed me the deterioration of his work on the x-rays I had to bring with me.

Oh dear, this brings back horrible memories for me!

Many years ago my right hip replacement failed (again) and my doctor wanted to revise it, ok no problem, so I thought, <SIGH>here we go again. :rolleyes:

I checked into the hospital on Thanksgiving eve with surgery scheduled for the very next am. I went in to get my right hip revised (get new parts).

After surgery the next morning I woke up and felt a huge pad covering my right hip like normally after surgery, then for some reason I felt the same pad covering my left hip!! :confused: huh?? What the.....

My father was there and when I asked him about the left hip he told me that they opened the WRONG hip first!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

After searching and searching for an attorney who would take my case - this was in the early or mid 1980's before anyone sued a doctor.

We settled with his insurance company because the attorney said we wouldn't win a case against a doctor :rolleyes: .

But what we did find out was my doctor apparently was an alicholoic and was apparently drunk during my surgery!!!! Not only did he open the wrong side, but he also put my revised hip in wrong!!! Yes, I needed another surgery 9 months later because my hip would just come out of its socket whenever. (talk about fun.......NOT!)

I'm not trying to scare you, but please know who your doctor is and all about them!!!!

Interview him/her because they will be working for you and on you.

My lesson was learned not only the hard way, but too many surgeries later too!

Good luck with your surgery.

lizbud
02-01-2008, 05:34 PM
I am so sorry to hear that. That's terrible to have to go though all
of that again. :( I hope this time is the end. Hope you have meds to
help dull the pain somewhat. I did notice you weren't on PT as much
of late, but thought you were just busy.

I also had to have a surgery (hernia) a second time to fix a botched job
the first time around. It's awful.

Karen
02-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Oh dear, I am sorry to hear this, but glad it can be fixed. A friend of mine is living with chronic knee and back pain from knee surgery that he was told could NOT be fixed, that's how badly it was done.

Sparklecoon
02-01-2008, 07:59 PM
I feel for you. I work orthopedics and mainly deal with total knee and hip replacements. We see our fair share of revisions. Let me know if you have any questions I could possibly answer for you.

In our replacement program we offer a few different holistic add ons (We joke that its our joint spa). I've had patients rave about Reiki. It's worth a shot if it's available and definately something to try while you wait for surgery.

Daisy and Delilah
02-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks so much for all the well wishes. I appreciate it alot. It makes me feel better to know that people care. :)

Catsnclay: WOW!! Thanks for that story. I immediately thought I had better investigate the new doctor too. We don't know what we might be getting into these days. My doctor was getting on in age and he may not have been as careful as he had in his younger days.

I have the new surgery February 29th. My new doc is so busy, that's the earliest they could get me in.

I am still taking some pretty strong pain killers but I need to make them last. The good thing is that I can't really do anything so I'm certainly not causing any new pain. I just hope the thing doesn't shift much more. At this point, I can't bend it without alot of pain and I can't straighten it anymore either. :(

As my daughter keeps telling me, "Keep a positive attitude, Mom". :) :eek:

beeniesmom
02-01-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm so sorry you are going through this Terry.
I hope the 29th comes very soon for you so the worst can be over.
I know recovery will be long. :(
I wish I could do something for you from here.
Is there anything I can do to help you out?
Hugs

K9soul
02-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Terry I am so sorry to hear you are suffering so much. What a miserable ordeal for you, it can really make life in general seem so dim. I hope and pray this time you find relief from such excruciating pain.

wolf_Q
02-01-2008, 09:52 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, Terry. My dad has had many knee surgeries and I believe a total knee replacement too. I hope this surgery goes well!

K9karen
02-01-2008, 10:52 PM
:( I'm so sorry you have to go through another surgery. My prayers are with you for a quick and easy recovery this time. I think I'll say an extra prayer for my spine surgeon tonight. *Knocks on wood*..I've been so lucky.

shais_mom
02-01-2008, 11:01 PM
oh NO Terry I'm so sorry!
you are in my thoughts and prayers!

pitc9
02-02-2008, 07:30 AM
I'm so sorry you're going to have to go through surgery again.
I wish you the best and pray for a speedy recovery!

Catsinclay.... about 15 years ago my sister was having surgery on her knee and before she went to the hospital my dad took a marker and wrote "WRONG KNEE" on the knee that wasn't getting the surgery. We all thought he had lost his mind! But realized later after hearing too many stories like yours that it was a smart thing to do.

Rachel
02-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Well, the first step in recovery is figuring out what is wrong. Looks like you have that one covered. Isn't is amazing what resources are right here at Pet Talk? Of course it is an awful shame that this wasn't done right the first time around.

Medusa
02-02-2008, 07:57 AM
I'm sorry to hear this. Having to endure chronic pain is bad enough but at the hands of someone who was supposed to take the pain away and instead make it worse is unthinkable. One of my best friends had total knee replacement in both knees and she has seen great success. She can walk just as fast as I can now and before the surgeries, she just couldn't keep up. I sure do wish you all the best w/your next surgery. Be sure to investigate your dr. and if your instincts tell you to find someone else, then listen to your instincts. It's our natural protection. Prayers going out for you and your speedy recovery.....

Daisy and Delilah
02-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks to everyone again. I know I'm being tested with this thing and it's so hard. I have to keep thinking positive to avoid a total meltdown.

You all are the best. What would I do without my Pet Talk family?

Pam
02-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Terry this is just awful. I can't imagine having to endure another surgery and then another recovery. I'm glad you don't have to wait too long though. The sooner you have it done, the sooner the feeling good can begin. ((((hugs))))

Catsnclay
02-02-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm so sorry you're going to have to go through surgery again.
I wish you the best and pray for a speedy recovery!

Catsinclay.... about 15 years ago my sister was having surgery on her knee and before she went to the hospital my dad took a marker and wrote "WRONG KNEE" on the knee that wasn't getting the surgery. We all thought he had lost his mind! But realized later after hearing too many stories like yours that it was a smart thing to do.

GOOD IDEA!!!!!

Let me tell you, if that was done it would have saved me an awful lot of time & pain!!!!

I'll have to remember this for the next time!!!

WELOVESPUPPIES
02-02-2008, 04:00 PM
I am just seeing this...I will pray that all goes well with your surgery. I'm sorry the first doctor didn't get it right the first time. I will definitely keep you in my prayers. ((hugs))