PDA

View Full Version : Internet question. Help.

CountryWolf07
02-01-2008, 12:04 PM
So, I got a email from my roommate, saying, "Can you please stop plugging your computer directly into the internet. It is completely slowing down everything I need to do with the internet. It isn't fair that you get to have a PERFECT, speedy internet at the expense of me or anyone else in the house. This has been going on for a week too long now. Please stop."

So I am not exactly doing that. I am plugged in through the router, not the cable modem.

Am I not slowing down the internet use? I hope I am correct on this issue, because either way, connected or not (wireless), there is still internet problems!

(btw: I am always blamed for every issue in this house.)

vinjashira
02-01-2008, 12:33 PM
You are slowing down her internet connection when you are using the internet but likewise, she is also slowing your connection down when she is using the internet, you are after all using a shared connection.

The wired connection is (allegedly) generally faster and more reliable than the wireless connection. We use both at work but to be honest I can not really tell the difference. If you want to test it, try to download the same (big) file with your friend at the same time. See how long it takes to download it using (your) wired connection and with (her) wireless connection. See if the difference is that significant enough for her to make a fuss about it.

BitsyNaceyDog
02-01-2008, 12:33 PM
You are likely to have a faster connection when connected by a hard wire rather than wirelessly, but that won't affect your roommates connection at all. The only thing that will affect their connection is if you downloading a lot of large files, then while you are downloading those files their connection will be slower. If they are downloading large files though, you will have a slower connection.

Moesha
02-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Do you leave your computer connected to the router all the time, even when you aren't using the internet? Perhaps if you were disconnecting it when you aren't around she could see that you weren't slowing her down like she thought you were.

Catlady711
02-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Easy enough to check the internet speeds. Try this site...

http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html

Do a test on both computers hooked up individually, then try each computer again when both are hooked up. See if there is a noticable difference.

caseysmom
02-01-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't know anything about this technically but your roommate has no people skills! I am sorry you were talked to like that.

vinjashira
02-01-2008, 05:02 PM
You are likely to have a faster connection when connected by a hard wire rather than wirelessly, but that won't affect your roommates connection at all. The only thing that will affect their connection is if you downloading a lot of large files, then while you are downloading those files their connection will be slower. If they are downloading large files though, you will have a slower connection.
KBlaix's answer makes more sense than mine http://www.petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif
you (or your friend) are only slowing another person's connection down if you are downloading a lot of large files. If you are only using the internet for browsing or emailing you won't slow anyone's connection down whether you are using a wired or a wireless connection.

cmayer31
02-02-2008, 10:21 AM
By plugging into the router you're only getting a better, more reliable connection than using wireless. Right now we have 3 computers wired to the router that stay on full time and anywhere between 5-8 computers connected via wireless. I doubt it's your computer being plugged in that is slowing their internet down. I'd blame it more on her getting a lower quality connection, low signal, from being wireless. If she wants a more reliable connection she can plug into the router too. :)