PDA

View Full Version : Comments on POTD/DOTD/COTD...?

Kfamr
02-01-2008, 11:49 AM
It seems we have been slipping as a community to congratulate and comment on the daily pets that people have taken the time to share with us. I know, I for one, have not been posting enough comments in those sections.

I was shocked to open DOTD threads and see such little replies. I know if it was one of mine I'd hope to see more replies (and I know when it's a PT dog they do get more replies.)

Can we all try to comment more often, if not, atleast once in a while? Life has been busy and rough for a lot of us but it won't take much to make three small replies a day that will most likely make the pet owner smile. I'm certainly going to try harder.

Karen
02-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Thank you, Kay! I appreciate it!

Alysser
02-01-2008, 03:37 PM
I really never reply to POTD, DOTD, or COTD. COTD I never reply to, though. I am rarely on the cat side. I will try and reply to them. It's a simple, easy way to make someones day a little bit better. :) Thanks for the reminder, Kay.

momoffuzzyfaces
02-02-2008, 12:19 PM
I've gotten lots of notes from people who's animals were the POTD or COTD. It really means a lot to people. I'm always touched when they take time to thank me for posting.
I'm guilty of hardly going to the DOTD. I will try to mend my ways. :)

Ginger's Mom
02-02-2008, 01:55 PM
I've gotten lots of notes from people who's animals were the POTD or COTD. It really means a lot to people. I'm always touched when they take time to thank me for posting.
Have you really? I very rarely have seen any kind of acknowledgment anywhere, unless they are PT animals. I am not saying that to be nasty; I just came to think that the people who submitted their pets forgot about the entry and never knew their pet was selected. I go through spurts where I try to post as much as I can, but then I really start thinking that my time can be better spent posting on threads where the people whose pet it is will actually see it.

momoffuzzyfaces
02-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Have you really? I very rarely have seen any kind of acknowledgment anywhere, unless they are PT animals. I am not saying that to be nasty; I just came to think that the people who submitted their pets forgot about the entry and never knew their pet was selected. I go through spurts where I try to post as much as I can, but then I really start thinking that my time can be better spent posting on threads where the people whose pet it is will actually see it.
Yes, I do get them from time to time. Here is the most recent:
Hello! thank-you very much for saying such sweet things about Leroi, COTD on 07-06-07! She says hi and thank-you! ,LeroiLover

Karen
02-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Lots of people whose pets are featured look, as I tell them to check out Pet talk and "Today's Pet" forum for example, and are touched by the comments, even if they don't join and post.

Miss Z
02-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Good reminder! Reading the wonderful comments Zsa-Zsa received when she was COTD was precisely what made me join Pet Talk in the first place. :)

I try to post in them every now and then, but of course I'm online in stops and starts at the moment as I seem to be finding less and less free computer time, but when I am here, I'll make sure I do.

momoffuzzyfaces
02-04-2008, 12:06 PM
I've noticed the Pets of the Day are really sadly lacking in posts. Often only two or three a day. So sad! :(

Randi
02-04-2008, 12:49 PM
I used to post to almost all COTD, but as Ginger's mom, I got a feeling that the owners didn't even know their pet had been selected and would not see the replies. I find it more important to post on threads that I know members will see.

But in any case, when I'm not too busy, I'll try to post more on those threads. After all, it was COTD that got me here in the first place. :)

Thanks for reminding us.

Karen
02-05-2008, 03:50 PM
I do tell people ahead of time, except in the rare cases when their emails bounce back for some reason.

Remember that many people whose pet is featured are not members of Pet Talk, but can read the threads. The threads always have many more views than posts, and I do hope the owners read them. Some are then moved to join Pet Talk and reply, some don't, some just email me, and some I never know.

Karen
02-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Something I wanted to add - when the pet is submitted by a child, I do not encourage them to join Pet Talk, as of course, people cannot join until they are at least 13 years old. In the future, I will put more emphasis on folks joining Pet Talk when I notify them about a pet being featured if they seem to be old enough.

Randi
02-06-2008, 01:59 PM
In the future, I will put more emphasis on folks joining Pet Talk when I notify them about a pet being featured if they seem to be old enough.
Karen, that's a great idea! :)

Pawsitive Thinking
02-08-2008, 05:17 AM
You are right Kay. I am always in such a hurry to see what has been happening that I often don't even notice the POTD/DOTD/COTD :eek:

I will now take time to have a proper look

Ginger's Mom
02-18-2008, 05:56 PM
I am never afraid to admit I was wrong. You were right, Karen, there has been at least one person a week acknowledging their dog was Dog of the Day. That is more people than I expected. I shall try harder to let the families know that their pets have also touched us in some way. Thanks Kay(and Karen).

cassiesmom
03-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Karen, I just have to tell you I'm laughing today because the Dog of the Day is named Puky, and the Cat of the Day's nickname is Stinky! And that's just the sort of day I am having, unfortunately. Thank you for the chuckle!

Karen
03-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Well, I do think the Dog of the Day's name is pronounced like Pooky, but that's okay! Glad we gave you a chuckle!

Pam
04-06-2008, 01:22 PM
There is only one reply to Today's Dog and it is already afternoon here on the East Coast. I feel sorry for this pup's humans. :(

Yes, MOFF, I have gotten PMs too from owners who wanted to thank me for my comments.

I hope we all can do a little better in the future.

EDIT: Two posts now. Thank you Sandra! :)

Randi
04-06-2008, 01:53 PM
One thing is that Pet/Cat/Dog of the day don't get many replies anymore, but the height of lazyness is when a member start a thread for one of them, that is already there. One thread may get 6 replies and the other 4 - that is plain stupid!

krazyaboutkatz
04-09-2008, 12:52 AM
I know that I used to reply a lot to COTD but now I rarely make it over there because I just don't have the time or I forget. I know that's not a good excuse. I feel bad for the cats that don't receive many replies.:(

beeniesmom
04-10-2008, 05:58 AM
I agree with Kay and think it is a real pity.

I am the first one who could do better but I do try to post whenever I log on.

Another thing that really hurts is when there are posts about people's birthdays in General that get few or NO responses at all.

I posted a Happy Birthday thread yesterday about a dear friend of mine and it didn't even get one reply...

So much for my trying to convince her to come back to PT because "she is missed" and post pictures of her kitty.

Oh well...

carmen

Karen
04-12-2008, 06:28 PM

Another thing that really hurts is when there are posts about people's birthdays in General that get few or NO responses at all.

I posted a Happy Birthday thread yesterday about a dear friend of mine and it didn't even get one reply...

So much for my trying to convince her to come back to PT because "she is missed" and post pictures of her kitty.

Oh well...

carmen

Sometimes General gets busy, you could always *bump* it up again later ...

momoffuzzyfaces
04-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Here it late in the afternoon and I'm the only one who posted on the cute POTD. :( I assume the thousands of other members must have broken all their fingers or something. :(

lizbud
04-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Here it late in the afternoon and I'm the only one who posted on the cute POTD. :( I assume the thousands of other members must have broken all their fingers or something. :(

bump....... Not much better today.

Sonia59
04-30-2008, 04:10 PM
I know that I used to reply a lot to COTD but now I rarely make it over there because I just don't have the time or I forget. I know that's not a good excuse. I feel bad for the cats that don't receive many replies.:(

Same for me. And I feel very guilty when I read the nice stories and I see the cute pictures... while not even posting a few words :( !
I really liked receiving many posts when my kitty was COTD. I did not register immediately to PT but I started reading the threads and after some time I became a PT member...probably due to the comments I received that day!
I'll try to do better, thanks for reminding it!

cassiesmom
05-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Karen, today's Pet of the Day (Pepsi, the bunny) is beautiful! What a great choice! I love it when a bunny is the Pet of the Day. Yesterday's horse and young rider were a terrific pick too.

Karen
05-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Karen, today's Pet of the Day (Pepsi, the bunny) is beautiful! What a great choice! I love it when a bunny is the Pet of the Day. Yesterday's horse and young rider were a terrific pick too.

Oh, thank you. I often think that bunnies are extra-specially beautiful, but know that I am perhaps a bit biased! ;)

Pawsitive Thinking
05-23-2008, 10:19 AM

Oh well...

carmen

That is such a shame.....I am one of the worst for missing birthdays :rolleyes:

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-29-2008, 04:18 AM
Oops...., guilty in all degrees.....:o:o

I will be a good girl from now on, promised!!:)

cassiesmom
06-10-2008, 02:34 PM
gentle bounce because today's pet of the day is a very cute BUNNY!

cassiesmom
07-22-2008, 03:15 PM
gentle bounce because today's pet of the day is -- once again -- a very cute BUNNY!

mamaducky
07-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Like a number of you, I joined PT as a result of one of my guys becoming COTD. I was so, so pleased at the sweet messages that were posted.

As a result, I try to chime in whenever I can -- even when I think I sound really lame and stupid, I remember how much it meant to me that you all took the time to write so kindly about my Zorro.

BTW, Karen -- THANK YOU for all you do to make this such a great forum! :love:

Hugs,
Diana

Pawsitive Thinking
07-23-2008, 06:21 AM
Doesn't take long to post a few words.....come on folks, you can do it ;)

Taz_Zoee
07-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Ok, I am guilty of not posting in these threads. I do look at and read them each and everyday. So I will try to post on them more often. :)

mamaducky
08-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Hi all,

Just noticing that the POTD thread has been a little (OK, a LOT) sparse recently.

Being a cat person myself, I don't really know all that much about mice, bunnies, birds, etc. -- but I'm sure their owners are just nuts about them, and would love to have their "babies" fussed over.

Edwina's Secretary
08-06-2008, 10:24 PM
I do believe -- worse than not posting -- is people who post criticism of the people whose pet is featured.

Please, please, please do not ruin someone's day by telling them how you think they should be treating their cat or dog...what you think they should be feeding them or grooming them or anything else.

It does NOTHING except make the person posting feel good (I suppose) and hurt the person who should be having a good day.

Listen to the words of mothers all over the world....If you can't say something nice say nothing at all!!!

Daisy and Delilah
08-18-2008, 05:48 PM
I do believe -- worse than not posting -- is people who post criticism of the people whose pet is featured.

Please, please, please do not ruin someone's day by telling them how you think they should be treating their cat or dog...what you think they should be feeding them or grooming them or anything else.

It does NOTHING except make the person posting feel good (I suppose) and hurt the person who should be having a good day.

Listen to the words of mothers all over the world....If you can't say something nice say nothing at all!!!

This is so true. I just pointed a case of this out to Karen a couple of weeks ago.
We're supposed to praise the pet, not critique and criticize the owner.
I can imagine how happy they are when their pet gets selected. People criticizing them could ruin the whole experience.

cassiesmom
08-23-2008, 01:25 PM
I am so disappointed. had been keeping an eye on PT on my breaks and lunch. A new filter has been installed and now I get a block, so I can't access it at all. :( I will have to get it at the library, in the evenings.

shepgirl
08-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Guess I have to admit to being one of the guilty ones. I mostly look for dog hints or dog anything. Good reminder, will have to try to remember to check in there.

Karen
08-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Thanks every who has been making a new effort, and I hope more people do so! People are so proud, and we all know how much we love our pets, and it takes effort for someone to get a good photo and put down in words why her or his pet is special. So I think the people - and the pets - deserve as much recognition as we can give them!

cassiesmom
08-28-2008, 09:44 PM
I am so disappointed. had been keeping an eye on PT on my breaks and lunch. A new filter has been installed and now I get a block, so I can't access it at all. :( I will have to get it at the library, in the evenings.

I miss my PT Fixes:(

Karen
09-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Hey folks, today is a good example - so far Today's Cat has 14 posts, but today's Dog of the Day - an adorable puppy, has only two, as does Mango, the stunningly-colored birdie! Share the love, please!

Ginger's Mom
09-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Karen, maybe it would help encourage people to get more involved and post more consistantly if you, as Mayor, would take the time to say something encouraging to all of the recipients of Dog/Cat/Pet of the Day honors. I am sure that people will be honored to get a response from the Mayor of such a fine community, and the more regular visitors/posters would see how serious you are about your request that all of us take the time to comment.

Karen
09-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Karen, maybe it would help encourage people to get more involved and post more consistantly if you, as Mayor, would take the time to say something encouraging to all of the recipients of Dog/Cat/Pet of the Day honors. I am sure that people will be honored to get a response from the Mayor of such a fine community, and the more regular visitors/posters would see how serious you are about your request that all of us take the time to comment.

I'll send you a PM.

Randi
09-12-2008, 06:04 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Cards/Sandra.gif

Sandra, in all the years I've been here, you have always taken time to reply to Cat, Dog and Pet of the Day. You are so sweet and considerate - thank you for that! :)

jazzcat
09-29-2008, 12:05 PM
I just saw this yesterday and I am guilty of looking but not commenting. I'm trying to correct that and have started commenting on each daily.

lizbud
10-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Hey folks, today is a good example - so far Today's Cat has 14 posts, but today's Dog of the Day - an adorable puppy, has only two, as does Mango, the stunningly-colored birdie! Share the love, please!

I have really seen a slowdown of comments to DOTD lately. It's kinda sad.:(
There are so many dog lovers who post on Dog General almost daily & it
would only take another minute or so to just say a "congrats" to the featured
dogs. There is something great about every single one, so could we all do
better?

momoffuzzyfaces
10-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Here it is almost 5 pm my time and Sandra and I are the only two to post on the sweet Potd, an adorable goat who took the time to dress as Elvis for us. :(:(:(:(:(

Daisy and Delilah
11-30-2008, 05:07 PM
I have noticed the last couple of days have been really light in comments. Even though we have the holidays coming up, I hope we can all take a few minutes to say something nice.:)

cassiesmom
12-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Dear Karen and Paul,

I just wanted to say that the dogs, cats and pets you've selected for these weeks leading up to the holidays have been wonderful. I've enjoyed them very much!

Thank you,
Elyse

Karen
12-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Oh, thank you! We try hard!

beeniesmom
04-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Hey we have a real cutie for dog of the day. No comments yet. :o

cassiesmom
04-22-2009, 06:46 PM
:confused: There are only three posts in the thread for today's utterly adorable Pet of the Day ...?

beeniesmom
05-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Awww! How cool! My 'nephew' is pet of the day today! :)
When my sister sees it, she will be so happy!

cassiesmom
07-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Mayor Karen, two bunny Pets of the Day in three days, with an absolutely adorable little fuzz nugget in between! :love: it! I have seen some of the cutest bunnies ever that have been chosen as Pets of the Day! (Cutest other pets, too, of course, but I am partial to bunnies!)

cassiesmom
09-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Today's beautiful Bunny Pet of the Day only has four posts ... could a few more of you post and say what a lovely bunny she is?

Thanks,
Elyse

momoffuzzyfaces
09-20-2009, 12:58 PM
The precious POTD hammy belongs to one of Pet Talk's members. Please post! :love:

cassiesmom
09-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Karen, can I just say that today's Bunny of the Day is adorable! I would love to hug and snuggle her! You pick the best pets, dogs and cats!!

cassiesmom
10-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Karen, can I just say again that today's Bunny Pets of the Day are sooo cute! The camera loves them! Their coats look so soft and plush, I would love to pet them.

happylabs
10-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Karen, can I just say again that today's Bunny Pets of the Day are sooo cute! The camera loves them! Their coats look so soft and plush, I would love to pet them.

I :love: bunnies too! Today's look especially plush and I love the pic of them with their Easter bonnets.

cassiesmom
10-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Karen, what a terrific therapy alpaca story today! Love it!

cassiesmom
11-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Karen, today's (11/29/10) Bunny Pet of the Day is absolutely beautiful!

cassiesmom
12-30-2010, 12:57 AM
Dear Karen! Today's (12/30/10) white dwarf Bunny Pet of the Day, with the pink ears, is precious! SOOOOOOO cute!

cassiesmom
03-15-2011, 01:10 AM
It's March the 15th and I am looking at the fifth Bunny of the Day for this month! Karen, you are killing me with bunny cuteness! Are you trying to tell me I should adopt a bunny? I think so! Marigold2 has bunnies and a kitty in the same fur-family ;)

Anyway... I just wanted to say --- Bunny POTD, I :love: 'em!! :D

Karen
03-15-2011, 02:24 AM
Hey, there are many bunnies at shelters that need homes, go for it! :) After all, as a pillow my mum-in-law bought me says "You're nobody 'til somebunny loves you!"

cassiesmom
03-16-2011, 03:47 PM
I just noticed this on the home page... Wow!
Threads: 154,201, Posts: 2,217,197, Members: 15,000

Karen
03-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Wow, cool! I hadn't noticed!

pomtzu
04-05-2011, 07:46 AM
That adorable little Pug yesterday only got 4 comments???? It seems the dog comments never get as many as the cats, but this was terrible. :mad:

lizbud
04-05-2011, 10:12 AM
That adorable little Pug yesterday only got 4 comments???? It seems the dog comments never get as many as the cats, but this was terrible. :mad:

I noticed that too. :( Could be the nicer weather is drawing folks outside
more so they are not around as much. I just think what if it were my pet
and nobody cared to give at least one kind comment? Doesn't take long to
do that.

pomtzu
04-05-2011, 05:33 PM
I noticed that too. :( Could be the nicer weather is drawing folks outside
more so they are not around as much. I just think what if it were my pet
and nobody cared to give at least one kind comment? Doesn't take long to
do that.

It got to 80 here yesterday, but I managed to find time! :p
However today it was rainy, windy, and in the 40's!!! :eek:

cassiesmom
04-07-2011, 01:30 AM
I am #5 today for French Bulldog Chipsy. I feel bad. I will be more careful to post going forward.

happylabs
04-07-2011, 05:38 AM
I do tell people ahead of time, except in the rare cases when their emails bounce back for some reason.

Remember that many people whose pet is featured are not members of Pet Talk, but can read the threads. The threads always have many more views than posts, and I do hope the owners read them. Some are then moved to join Pet Talk and reply, some don't, some just email me, and some I never know.

I will try to comment on these more. There are some great stories on the dog/cat/pet of the days that are chosen. :)

chocolatepuppy
04-10-2011, 09:06 PM

I saw that, the next day. I felt bad as I didn't get a chance to post.:( That was the day I had a Dr appt after work and Missy had a vet appt, right after me. I usually try to post any time I see a pet not getting very many posts.:(

cassiesmom
05-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Karen, I love how today's Dog and Cat of the day are both black and white -- and they are both such wonderful stories! :love: :love:

chocolatepuppy
05-28-2011, 10:24 AM
I just love that 'see more images' on the DOTD/COTD/POTD pages. There's never a time I don't check out the extra pics!:)

cassiesmom
07-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Karen and Paul, two things-- I agree 100% with #75 about seeing more images!

I'm sorry the Bunny Pet of the Day on July 4th only got five posts. I thought she was absolutely beautiful with her honey color and her velvety plush coat.

happylabs
07-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Like I said in my other post...it would be so much easier if we could just comment right below the actual POTD, DOTD, COTD. Just sayin...

cassiesmom
07-13-2011, 10:29 PM
What a great PT day! An entire family of ducks, a kitty of a unique breed I've never seen before -- and the Most Adorable Golden Retriever Pupster Puppy! :love: Thank you, Karen and Paul!

happylabs
07-14-2011, 07:35 AM
What a great PT day! An entire family of ducks, a kitty of a unique breed I've never seen before -- and the Most Adorable Golden Retriever Pupster Puppy! :love: Thank you, Karen and Paul!

How about it. I LOVE ducks. I often wished I had a pond and a way to have ducks in my big back yard.

cassiesmom
07-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Another great PT day! Two CKC Spaniels, two meezers and a bunny with blue eyes and pink velvet ears! :love:

cassiesmom
08-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Bunny Pet of the Day two consecutive days == LIKE! :D :D :D

cassiesmom
08-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Karen, which bunny is the mini rex and which is the Netherland? The bunny on the left, I can not get over how her coat looks like velvet. And the bunny on the right, his coat is so shiny and sleek! :D I'd like to reach through my monitor to give each of them a pat or two! (or ten, or 50...)
http://petoftheday.com/archive/2011/August/30.jpg

Karen
08-30-2011, 06:35 PM
That Lizzie on the left - we position the nameplates to match the featured pets! Rex bunnies have that famous double coat that gives them the nickname "the Velveteen Rabbits" - and her buddy Elliot is the Netherland Dwarf on the right with the sleeker coat, and shorter ears.

mrspunkysmom
09-03-2011, 01:54 PM

I agree. I don't normally post in the Day forums because I am so absolutely horrible at expressing myself without sounding lame. I really have to dig deep to express these things.

However, today, when I checked in again this afternoon, no one had posted in the dog or pet Day forums. So I started something in the Pet forum for Ginger the Cockatiel. I just thought that it was terrible that no one had posted yet, although it being a Saturday and decent weather might be a reason.

Pomtzu beat me to the Dog forum, thankfully.

I didn't realize until today that we must have more cat and dog people. I saw a lot of cat-dog people posting in the pet Day form.

I don't normally even read the other Day honorees. Perhaps that will change tomorrow, as I read today's.

Thanks for listening.

Karen
09-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks, I hope you enjoy the featured nominees more, and do not feel you have to be terribly or original or as gifted as tattsxxx11 in posting about the animals. A simple congratulations counts a lot for that pet's people!

cassiesmom
12-10-2012, 12:30 AM
Dear ones, today's DOTD is a beautiful GSD who only got 4 or 5 posts. :(

chocolatepuppy
12-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Dear ones, today's DOTD is a beautiful GSD who only got 4 or 5 posts. :(

I started that thread and just noticed this morning that's all the posts the poor pup got. :(

chocolatepuppy
03-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Have you all watched the video of Max our POTD pony playing with the big ball? :D So adorable!
He reminds me of my chocolate puppy RB Mandy.:)

cassiesmom
08-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Karen and Paul, I think today's bunny POTD Bluebell is absolutely adorable! I don't think I've ever seen such a bunny before. Today is her 3-month birthday too, what a cutie and what a great choice!

Karen
08-02-2013, 05:44 PM
I had never seen a blue Beveren before either, so we were glad to show her off to the world!

cassiesmom
11-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Today's DOTD has a gorgeous kitty pal, today's COTD has ferret pals! What a fun day!

cassiesmom
01-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Karen and Paul, I think today's Dog (Daisy), Cat (Miles) and Pet (bunny Lily) are excellent choices! What a way to start the year with Pet Talk! I am still smiling after reading about each of them, seeing the photos and reading their threads :love: :D

Thank you! Happy New Year! --
Elyse

Karen
01-01-2014, 03:45 PM
That's good - Lily bunny's person emailed to say all the comments are making her smile!