PDA

View Full Version : Scared for my son. Please help w/comments *Update 4/16*

Medusa
01-31-2008, 04:16 PM
My son called me last night and told me that his forearms are so weak and that it's also in his hands but mainly his forearms. He's having problems gripping things and can hardly pick up his cell phone or toothbrush, tie his shoes, etc. He says he's not in any pain whatsoever but that he's really fatigued. I asked if he worked out too hard and he said that after he did certain weight lifting exercises, he did notice that his forearms were really pumped but not in any pain. No, he's not on steroids. He's 40 years old, has always been extremely health conscious, doesn't smoke and hardly drinks. He's been having bad sinus problems and was taking Nyquil and some antihistamines so I told him to stop taking them. He called me again just a few minutes ago from the emergency room because he says that his forearms are getting weaker and he's getting scared.

Does anybody have any idea of what this could be? Have any of you experienced this before? I thought perhaps carpal tunnel but he says that he doesn't have any tingling sensations. I looked up Guillain - Barre Syndrome on webmd and he doesn't have the symptoms of that either, other than the weakness in his forearms. But the other symptoms he doesn't have and he's in no pain. I'm really scared. He's in CA and I'm in OH or I'd be there w/him right now.

Husky_mom
01-31-2008, 04:19 PM
I had no clue and was gonna suggest webmd.... but you already did that....

sorry I canīt help.... by best thoughts are with you and your son...((hugs))

ETA: did you used the symptom checker?... for what you said it comes like tendinitis or golfers elbow.. you might wanna try that with more details

Karen
01-31-2008, 04:19 PM
He'll be in our prayers.

Our church organist almost called off a rehearsal one week because her forearms were feeling really weak and sore/numb - turns out that was the beginning of the flu for her. I hope it is nothing serious for your son.

lvpets2002
01-31-2008, 04:20 PM
:( So sorry your son is not well.. No Mary I have no ideas at all.. Hey I will send Lots of Prayers & Huggss.. Keep us posted ok..

petslover
01-31-2008, 04:26 PM
I was thinking the flu too. It can make your joints hurt really bad.

Whatever it is, I hope your son the best.

Keep us updated!

lizbud
01-31-2008, 04:29 PM
Symptoms like you described could be many things. I'm glad he did get
to a Doctor to be checked out. Prayers that the cause is simple & easily
cured.

caseysmom
01-31-2008, 04:46 PM
I will pray for your son that it is nothing serious.

moosmom
01-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Mary,

You and your son will be in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad he went to the emergency room. Please keep us posted on his progress.

(((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))

Donna

Freedom
01-31-2008, 05:01 PM
I am glad he called back to say he is at the ER. It does sound scary, but I am praying there is a simple cause. I have heard people getting flu this year getting weird weakness symptoms, as someone above already said. So maybe that's it. Not that the flu is 'fun,' but heck, better than what you are imagining, wondering and waiting!

Pam
01-31-2008, 05:03 PM
I have no suggestions either but can share the worrying with you. I am glad he is seeking medical treatment. Prayers that it is something easily fixed. (((hugs))) By the way, from your avatar I would never guess that you had a 40 year old son. ;)

cassiesmom
01-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Hummm... both of your son's forearms and hands, Medusa? Did he say if they were equally weak, or is one side different from the other? How are his neck and shoulders?

Felicia's Mom
01-31-2008, 05:18 PM
Your son will be in my prayers!

Medusa
01-31-2008, 05:20 PM
Hummm... both of your son's forearms and hands, Medusa? Did he say if they were equally weak, or is one side different from the other? How are his neck and shoulders?
He said both of his forearms are weak. He said he has no pain there or elsewhere. He said "Mom, I'm afraid I'm going to be paralyzed" which is why I looked up Guillain-Barre Syndrome but it says that it usually begins in the legs and works its way up the body plus the patient has pain and he has no pain whatsoever. I'm thinking now that he may have pinched a nerve in his neck or maybe have a herniated disc or something like that.

Medusa
01-31-2008, 05:21 PM
from your avatar I would never guess that you had a 40 year old son. ;)
Yes, I tell people that my son and I are the same age now. ;)

Rachel
01-31-2008, 05:48 PM
I don't have any knowledge to shed on this, but the weight lifting may be something the doctors will key onto. You know how macho guys can get and he may just have tried to do too much. Whatever it turns out to be he had the smarts to go to the ER. Time and the body may be able to heal itself.

Lizzie
01-31-2008, 06:07 PM
I had something similar when I was doing a lot of weights and hard landscaping alone (pick-axing and moving boulders, etc.) but it was in one leg. I could barely feel my hand when I touched it, it felt weak, etc. Scare the heck out of me. Turned out that I'd hurt my back, so hopefully this is the problem your son has also. Best wishes to both of you.

Medusa
01-31-2008, 06:11 PM
He just called me and said that they started an IV on him and are doing blood work now. He said that he's weak all over now and couldn't even sit up from the exam table on his own; he had to be helped up. He still says he has no pain, just weakness. I asked him tons of questions: are you having vision or speech problems? No. Are you having pain in your shoulders or upper arms? No. He said that his abdomen feels like he's done 80,000 sit-ups but he didn't do any sit-ups during his workout because he was already feeling weak. His hands are beginning to swell, too, now.

Argranade
01-31-2008, 06:18 PM
He probably pulled a nerve or something that's making his arm weak.

What ever you do don't read things on the internet, they'll freak you out.

Yes they sound true but a doctor is the way too go.

I'm sure he'll be ok.

gini
01-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Goodness sakes, you must be scared out of your wits for him. Let's just pray that it is a bad case of the flu - and he can recover completely.

My prayers will be offered for you and your son.

Medusa
01-31-2008, 06:43 PM
Well, he's out there in LA and I'm here in Ohio. I'm trying to stay calm but it ain't easy.

jennielynn1970
01-31-2008, 07:03 PM
Oh how scary for the both of you! I hope that the it's nothing serious, just the flu or something like that.

My dad had something odd like that a year and a half ago. He had numbness/weakness in his arms and legs, then his joints swelled up, and he had to have fluid removed. There was a rash as well, and a fever. The doctors had no idea what it was. They ran so many tests, but nothing was conclusive. He wasn't able to work in his garden, go fishing or anything. The only thing anyone could think of was that it was auto-immune. He hasn't had a recurrence to date that I know of, but it lasted for months.

Lots of healing thoughts and prayers going out for your son.

gini
01-31-2008, 07:09 PM
Well, he's out there in LA and I'm here in Ohio. I'm trying to stay calm but it ain't easy.

As you can tell, I am in Los Angeles (but I was born and raised in Ohio)

Please p/m me if there is anything that I can do from here. Do you know the name of the hospital that he is in?

jenluckenbach
01-31-2008, 07:09 PM
MANY prayers!!!

Cincy'sMom
01-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Thoughts and prayers for you and your son.

shepgirl
01-31-2008, 08:21 PM
For sure it isn't Guillan Barre--my cousin came down with it last year and the pain was horrific and it does start in the legs. He's starting to move again and uses a wheelchair but it might take another year to walk fully by himself. The only other thing I can think of is maybe M.S., the symptoms vary so much from person to person it's hard to tell. For yours and his sake I hope it's something more benign.

K9soul
01-31-2008, 08:43 PM
I can certainly see why you would be alarmed. The arm symptoms sounded like paresthesias/neuropathic type symptoms which can have a lot of causes, but the progressive weakness and absence of any pain make a traumatic or repetitive motion injury seem less likely. He will be in my prayers, I hope the doctors are able to find some answers soon.

Medusa
01-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Guillan Barre does start in the legs.
According to webmd, it can reverse and start in the arms as well, although it is rare. He insists that he isn't in any pain, though, so it may not be.

I'm so sorry about your cousin. I'm glad he's on the road to recovery.

phesina
01-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Dear Mary, saying prayers for you and your son for his good health and rapid recovery from whatever is going on here. I'm glad he is getting medical care. I'm wondering too if perhaps he pushed himself a bit too far with the weight-lifting; seems to me I've heard of other such cases.

Love, Purrs, and Hugs,
Peony, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, Pat, and Priscilla Angel

caseysmom
01-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Still praying for your son.

Lizzie
01-31-2008, 09:18 PM
My dad had something odd like that a year and a half ago. He had numbness/weakness in his arms and legs, then his joints swelled up, and he had to have fluid removed. There was a rash as well, and a fever. The doctors had no idea what it was. They ran so many tests, but nothing was conclusive. He wasn't able to work in his garden, go fishing or anything. The only thing anyone could think of was that it was auto-immune. He hasn't had a recurrence to date that I know of, but it lasted for months.

Auto-immune response was the first thing that popped into my head when the second set of symptoms was listed. I wouldn't think MS because those symptoms generally crop up over time whereas this is very sudden and rather overwhelming.

Are you looking into flying out to L.A.? It might make you feel better if you are "doing" something.

Catty1
01-31-2008, 09:21 PM
HUGS.

Have a look at cataplexy here. It's often associated with narcolepsy, but not always:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataplexy

Wikipedia is a pretty conservative board, so this shouldn't sound any alarms.

But the swelling! Holy cow, I pray they get to the bottom of this soon!

Medusa
01-31-2008, 11:18 PM
My son just called me as he was leaving the hospital. He has myositis. The emergency room dr. put him on Prednisone and he wants him to see another dr. tomorrow. He asked the dr. if it's serious and the dr. said "no" but he still wants him to see the other dr. anyhow. It's probably caused by a virus although the dr. wasn't even sure about that. It's an inflammation of the muscles and in severe cases, it can lead to a wasting away of the muscle. But the dr. feels that his case is not severe and that he should be back to normal w/in 48 hours. My son was just exhausted and hungry. He hadn't eaten in over 10 hours and that was also contributing to his weakness. So he'll call me tomorrow to let me know how he's feeling and again after he talks to the second dr.

Thank you so much, friends, for being there w/encouragement and especially for your prayers. I know how powerful prayer is, especially PT prayers. It's worked time and time again w/my Fur Posse, that's for sure. Well, this is my kid, not my furkid, and he means everything to me. He is IT, in a nutshell, and I was doing my best to stay calm and not think the worst but, if I had to, I was prepared to fly to LA tomorrow. Thankfully, he's going to be alright and will get better and better w/each passing day. I'm off to bed; I have a screaming headache now from holding my body so tense. Thanx again and I'll update tomorrow.

I forgot to add that the dr. said that he checked his breathing repeatedly to be sure that it wasn't spreading to the chest and his heart also checked out fine. Sometimes the inflammation can spread so rapidly that it causes difficulty in breathing and swallowing but that hasn't been the case w/my son.

NoahsMommy
01-31-2008, 11:19 PM
Awwww, I'm glad it wasn't serious. I'm glad its "all over" and the stress is now over for you both. You poor thing. ((((((Hugs))))))

Genny
01-31-2008, 11:27 PM
Mary, sorry I can't give you any advice about this but I just want you to know that I will be praying for your son to get to feeling better soon. I don't have kids but I bet it's really scary sitting and waiting to find out what's wrong w/ your kids

Genny
01-31-2008, 11:30 PM
I just read that you said it's nothing too serious wrong with him! That's great I'm glad he's alright :)

caseysmom
01-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Wow thats good news. I don't understand the medical folks though, why didn't they keep him for observations, I am sure he is fine but it seems strange. I bet it will feel good for him to be in his own bed, take care of yourself and relax now Mom.

Karen
01-31-2008, 11:42 PM
Wow thats good news. I don't understand the medical folks though, why didn't they keep him for observations, I am sure he is fine but it seems strange. I bet it will feel good for him to be in his own bed, take care of yourself and relax now Mom.

Maybe like me, he argued - I'll get better faster in my own bed! Good news, and I hope he continues to improve.

Taz_Zoee
01-31-2008, 11:48 PM
Mary, I am glad that it seems to be nothing serious. Although, I will still be thinking of you and your son until he is 100% better.
You raised a smart boy there. Most men (as well as a lot of women) would not go to the doctor, much less the ER, for things.
I hope he can get the A-OK from the second doctor tomorrow.
((HUGS))

krazyaboutkatz
02-01-2008, 12:50 AM
Mary, I just saw this thread and I'm so glad to hear that your son doesn't have anything serious. I hope that he'll make a quick and full recovery. Please take care and try not to worry too much. (((HUGS)))

gini
02-01-2008, 12:58 AM
Mary, this is the first chance I have had to come back onto Pet Talk and get an update.

I am not familiar with the diagnosis, so I need to go and look it up.

But thank God they feel he will be alright in just a couple of days. I hope you are having a good nights sleep. I am sure you are just as exhausted as he is.

Still adding a few more prayers - they can never hurt.

I will check back in the morning.

Catty1
02-01-2008, 01:05 AM
HUGS! Thank goodness he will be all right!

I hope you can relax and get a good sleep - nite nite!

dukedogsmom
02-01-2008, 01:19 AM
I'm so glad they found out what it was. Hopefully there will be no lasting effects and he will be back to normal in no time. I'm sure both you and he were scared. I know you must have felt helpless, being so far away. Maybe now you can get some sleep.

Lizzie
02-01-2008, 04:20 AM
What a huge relief for both of you and I'm very glad it was nothing really serious or long-term. This information is from Medline:

"Myositis

Myositis is inflammation of your skeletal muscles, which are also called the voluntary muscles. These are the muscles you consciously control that help you move your body. An injury, infection or autoimmune disease can cause myositis.

The diseases dermatomyositis and polymyositis both involve myositis. Polymyositis causes muscle weakness, usually in the muscles closest to the trunk of your body. Dermatomyositis causes muscle weakness, plus a skin rash. Both diseases are usually treated with prednisone, a steroid medicine, and sometimes other medicines."

It does sound related to what Jenn's father had.

Medusa
02-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Thanx so much everyone. I looked myositis up on webmd and found essentially the same info as Lizzie wrote from Medline. I guess you're more prone to get it if someone in your family has an autoimmune disease and I have both arthritis and fibromyalgia. I'm so glad that he went to the ER, though. He said that he no longer has a dr. and has been putting off getting a new one because every time he'd get sick, he could never get an appt., so he became annoyed and dropped him. I called my friend who is a nurse and she said that's very common, which is why so many people show up at the ER, especially after 5:00. Well, anyhow, I kept after him to go to a dr., so at least he went to the ER but I think he would've gone on his own anyhow. He was really scared. He said "I didn't even take a shower today because I couldn't raise my arms above my waist plus I was afraid I'd fall in the shower." That's awful for a mom who lives 2,000 miles away to hear and not be able to do anything about it.

As soon as I hear what the second dr. has to say, I'll update. In the meantime, I've got some serious thank you prayers to do. :)

critter crazy
02-01-2008, 06:57 AM
Wow. I am so happy for you and your son that t is nothing serious! I couldnt even imagine what you have gone through, while waiting for him to call.

Freedom
02-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Just having a diagnosis is a huge relief. And then to have hem say, "should be over this in 48 hours," WOW! Bet you both slept well overnight with all the tension released.

Felicia's Mom
02-01-2008, 09:20 AM
You and your son will continue to be in my prayers.

ChrisH
02-01-2008, 10:11 AM
What a total nightmare for both you and your son. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/grouphug.gif
I'll be keeping you both in my prayers.

cassiesmom
02-01-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm with the medical folks on this one. He's young and in good health overall, and the hospital is no place for someone like that to be. Patients in the hospital these days are so sick and there are resistant bugs all over the place.

gini
02-01-2008, 10:48 AM
I sure hope you have news that he is feeling better today. I too, am glad that he is home and out of the hospital.

Barbara
02-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Sorry I saw this so late. What a scary thing!!
I am so glad they can treat it. I hope he is much better by now.

Medusa
02-01-2008, 02:08 PM
but he isn't feeling any better and hasn't really made any progress. I asked how he's feeling and he said "No better but no worse". I guess once the Prednisone kicks in he'll start feeling better but it hasn't been 24 hours yet. His girlfriend is a nurse and she went w/him to the second dr. today and the dr. told him that it is indeed viral myositis and not chronic because it came on so fast and he had that sinus infection previously. He said that some people take longer than others to get over it. He's upset because he still can't do much. He showered today but he couldn't reach up to wash his hair. And he has gigs this weekend that he's going to have to cancel. Plus he's really bummed out that he might miss the Superbowl party at his friend's house. He said "I'm really not looking forward to sitting here all day by myself." So, all I can do is what I've been doing: first, last and always, pray.

jenluckenbach
02-01-2008, 02:10 PM
It sucks to be sick. :( I hope he can begin to feel better SOON!!!!

caseysmom
02-01-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm glad his girlfriend is a nurse I was worried about him going home alone, maybe she will hang out with him.

phesina
02-01-2008, 06:33 PM
More prayers and good wishes and healing energies coming to you and your son, Mary. I'm so glad that they've figured out what is going on and are treating it. Hope he has a quick, complete recovery.

shepgirl
02-01-2008, 06:47 PM
That's right...myositis, we didn't even think of that. Glad it's only viral, better than if it was caused by immune system. Tell your son to relax and be grateful that he'll get better with hopefully no lasting effects. What a scare you must have had, so glad it's nothing more serious.

slick
02-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Mary, I'm sorry I have not posted until now - that blasted W-U-R-K keeps getting in the way. I have been praying for your son and sending out good vibes. I'm glad that it's something that can be "fixed" and I pray that he will be back to normal as soon as possible.

{{{hugs}}}

jennielynn1970
02-01-2008, 07:27 PM
but he isn't feeling any better and hasn't really made any progress. I asked how he's feeling and he said "No better but no worse". I guess once the Prednisone kicks in he'll start feeling better but it hasn't been 24 hours yet. His girlfriend is a nurse and she went w/him to the second dr. today and the dr. told him that it is indeed viral myositis and not chronic because it came on so fast and he had that sinus infection previously. He said that some people take longer than others to get over it. He's upset because he still can't do much. He showered today but he couldn't reach up to wash his hair.

Whatever it was that my dad had, it lasted for months, but maybe that is because no one knew what it was, and they live in a small, small, country town in PA. They also wanted to make sure it didn't affect his heart. He was out of commission for about 6 months total. Hope your son heals quicker than my dad.

Emeraldgreen
02-01-2008, 08:00 PM
How scary this all must have been for both you and your son. I'm relieved that they know what is going on but I'm sure until things have cleared up and he is back to normal, you're probably going to be anxious. I would be too.
I hope that his girlfriend will spend the next few days with him as she will know if he needs any immediate medical attention. Hope things get better with each day. :)

kimlovescats
02-01-2008, 09:51 PM
I am just now seeing this thread and how relieved I was to get to the diagnosis! This has to have been so very scary! I was just trying to imagine how I would feel not being able to lift my arms above my waist! Bless his heart! I'm surprised he was calm enough to drive to the ER!

I hope that the symptoms will start subsiding soon!

Hugs,
Kim

Pam
02-01-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm so glad that it is something fairly easy to fix. You and he must both be so relieved.

K9karen
02-01-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm sorry I just saw this thread, Mary. My brother had it a while back at it took a few days to feel better, and he had no ill affects afterwards. Praying your son has a quick recovery.

Medusa
02-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Thank you for that, Karen. When he told me of the paralysis, it truly terrified me, so I can only imagine how terrified he must be. The dr. watched him carefully to be sure that the paralysis didn't spread to his chest and affect his breathing and, if it had, I would've gone to LA. I wish the Prednisone would kick in. I'll know more today after I talk to him. He's asked me not to call because he wants to try to get some sleep. He can't email me because he has no control over his hands. Fortunately, he has voice command on his cell phone because he couldn't dial my number and he had to put me on speaker to talk. He still doesn't have much strength to even raise his voice. This sure put things in perspective for me. Life has its stresses and, of course, money is always one of them but when my boy is sick, everything else falls by the wayside. I've always agreed w/Suze Orman, "people first" but I never realized just how much I truly meant it until this happened. I'll update on his condition after I talk to him today.

Rachel
02-02-2008, 07:45 AM
I'm glad his girlfriend is a nurse I was worried about him going home alone, maybe she will hang out with him.

That was exactly what I was going to say.

Medusa
02-02-2008, 07:52 AM
That isn't too likely. She works at night and sleeps during the day. Hopefully, he'll have more control and feel good enough to go to the party.

moosmom
02-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Mary,

I'm so glad that he finally found out what it is. Let him know that Prednisone will increase his appetite and may make him bloat. But that is only temporary. I hope you had a good night's sleep, dear friend. You certainly deserve it.

(((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

Donna

Medusa
02-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Thank you so much, Donna. Just reading the words "dear friend" comforts me when I can't be there to comfort him. The 3 hour time difference is maddening at times like this, waiting for him to call. Just knowing that the paralysis won't advance is a relief, though, for both of us. I'll keep you all posted, "my dear friends".

Medusa
02-02-2008, 12:23 PM
I just talked to him and he's very angry now. He said that the Prednisone doesn't appear to be working at all. He still can't do the simplest of tasks. He has mostly prepared food at home so that he can manage taking care of himself but now he can't even peel a banana or take the cap off orange juice or open a cereal box. He's so angry that I couldn't even talk to him. I just do not know what to do. I told him to call the dr. back and tell him but he said "Yeah, try getting ahold of a dr. on Saturday". He can't go on like this. He has to work and right now he can't do much of anything.

Karen
02-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Every doctor has an answering service that can page him on Saturday - he should definitely do that. The Prednisone should have kicked in by now.

Medusa
02-02-2008, 12:48 PM
He did call the dr. and got an answering machine. Not an answering service, a machine that said if it's an emergency to call 911. I told him to call the dr. at the hospital who treated him at the ER and have him paged.

caseysmom
02-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Can he drive back to the er? Maybe he can take a cab to the er if he doesn't want to call an ambulance, from my experience you don't get a lot of help unless you go to the er, things just seem to be treated differently once you are there.

krazyaboutkatz
02-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Mary, I'm so sorry to hear that your son's condition isn't improving.:( I hope he'll be able to talk to a doctor or will go back to the ER for help. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

moosmom
02-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Mary,

Prednisone does take time to "kick in". But I'd definitely go back to the ER. You and your son will be in my thoughts and prayers.

((((((HUGS))))))

Donna

RobiLee
02-02-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm sorry that I am just now seeing this. I have read through the whole thread and my heart just goes out to you. I can only imagine the fear and worry and probably anger that you are going through. I will be keeping you and your son in my prayers.

{{{HUGS}}}

shepgirl
02-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Maybe your son responds differently to prednisone than other people. I know when I was put on for short term therapy I was so weak I had trouble moving. Yet my cousin was on it before and it gave him superman energy. I would go back to the ER if he feels like he's not improving. Some people just take longer to recover than others, don't get discouraged, time will heal him.

Emeraldgreen
02-02-2008, 07:22 PM
I was just reading about Myositis and found an interesting quote about it:

"Most experts in the natural medicine field believe that many of these autoantibodies are produced by the body in response to an infection or allergen. When the offending infection(s) or allergen(s) are removed, the production of these destructive autoantibodies stops."

I know in one of your earlier posts you mentioned that the Dr. thought perhaps your son had picked up a virus. But if it 'could' be a response to an allergen or infection, it sounds like things could improve if the trigger was found. (if there is one to begin with).

I'm sure he's not up for 101 questions but maybe when he's feeling a little better in a day or two, he could try and determine if he's been exposed to any new things, foods, enviroments etc..

I hope that he will get better very soon. I know this must be so hard for you, especially since you are far away. I hope you get good news about it all in a day or two.

Daisy and Delilah
02-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Oh my goodness! I'm just reading this. How scary for everyone. I can imagine how frustrating this is to feel like this all of a sudden and not making any progress after diagnosis. I would be beside myself with worry too. It's hard enough to have problems ourselves but when our children have problems, it's 100 times worse. I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers. :(

ramanth
02-02-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm glad to hear it's treatable and nothing too serious. Prayers for a swift recovery!!

catfamily
02-02-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm sorry i just saw this thread now...i feel so terrible.I hope he is feeling better now.I didn't know prednisone also worked for this kind of problem.I thought it was mostly for broncitis issues.
I'm glad he'll be ok though...he's in my prayers.
What a terrible terrible scare for him.And you and everyone who loves him so very much. :(

Daisy and Delilah
02-03-2008, 09:14 AM
How is he doing today? I hope the prednisone has kicked in by now. :(

Medusa
02-03-2008, 09:36 AM
How is he doing today?
I won't know until later today. There's a 3 hour time difference between us, so hopefully he's getting some much needed rest. I'll post as soon as I hear something. Thank you so much for asking. Please continue to hold him in your prayers.

gini
02-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Gosh, I sure hope that he is feeling better today.

Medusa
02-03-2008, 03:47 PM
I just spoke to him and he seems to be in better spirits at least. I asked "How's my boy?" and he said "Trying to hold it together" but his voice was shaky and I could tell that he was holding back tears. He said he's never felt so helpless and vulnerable.

While we were talking, his dr. called and my son asked if he has Inclusion Body Myositis and the dr. said "No, yours came on too fast. It's viral". This was a relief to both of us. He did tell my son to increase the amount of Prednisone that he's taking, though, and not to decrease it daily as previously instructed since he hasn't seen much progress. He said to keep taking 60 mg. a day until he sees a noticeable improvement. He also told him that if he didn't feel better by tomorrow to go back to the ER or the walk -in clinic, that he would probably be seen more quickly at the walk in clinic. And the dr. will refill his Prednisone as necessary.

His voice was, as I mentioned, shaky, in part, I think, due to his emotional state. But over all, he sounded stronger, although he says he still can't cough like he needs to; he doesn't have enough strength. His abdomen isn't as tight as it was and he still says that he has no pain or soreness, just weakness and partial paralysis. The dr. assured him that this would improve w/time and my son is trying hard to believe that. He wants so badly to get back to work and exercise again. His appetite at least is ok and he doesn't have problems w/breathing and the dr. made a point of asking him that.

His girlfriend came over and spent her day off w/him, brought him dinner, gave him a little massage and just did her Florence Nightingale routine and he really appreciated it. He said that she's the only one who can calm him down. His friends keep calling and checking on him, even his manager offered to help and, since his girlfriend has to work today, one of his other female friends who just moved to LA is going to watch the Superbowl w/him. They probably both need the company.

So. If he doesn't feel better tomorrow, he is going to go to the walk- in clinic. I'll update you as I hear more. Again, friends, thank you so much for your inquiries, concern and, most of all, your prayers. I know that they're working for him, albeit not as quickly as we both would like to see but even a little improvement is better than none at all.

Catty1
02-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Waiting is the hard part! I think you said he had had a cold or some viral thing before this, so that might have brought it on?

Sounds like he takes good care of himself - maybe a good antioxidant or immune system booster (vitamin, not drug!) might be a good idea afterwards?

Poor kid - so upset at being so vulnerable...I think he'll be SO happy when he is well and has his first workout!

Here is a link to Irwin Barker, a Canadian stand-up comedian; I just love his work!

I heard him on an interview last week, and in June he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. It's at bay right now with chemo...but maybe your son can relate somewhat as helplessness is a big thing here. Irwin has incorporated his illness into his act! though he doesn't use it all the time.

http://www.irwinbarker.com/

To hear the interview(it's on this other site for a month), click on the link and scroll down a tad to January 30. Click on Irwin's name and enjoy.

http://www.cbc.ca/soundslikecanada/interviews.html

I just hope your son gets some comfort and laughs here! :)

Medusa
02-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Thank you so much, Candace. I'm sure he'll appreciate this. Another good comedian friend of his, Robert Schimmel, also has cancer and, although I'm not sure if he incorporates it into his act or not, my son says he's one of the nicest and most mannerly gentlemen you'd ever have the pleasure of meeting. He accepts his illness w/grace. I don't know when my son will be able to use the computer again but when I get his reaction about the clip, I'll be sure to post it. Thank you again, my friend. :)

Medusa
02-03-2008, 04:48 PM
I think you said he had had a cold or some viral thing before this, so that might have brought it on?

Sounds like he takes good care of himself - maybe a good antioxidant or immune system booster (vitamin, not drug!) might be a good idea afterwards?

Yes, he's had sinus problems for the last couple of months now. Every time there's a weather or climate change, he has problems and he was back and forth from LA to OH several times in Dec. He's big on vitamins and herbs and is always mindful of good eating habits, rest, exercise, etc.

Grace
02-03-2008, 04:54 PM
If he's going to be on increased doses of Prednisone for any length of time, make sure he has his blood sugar checked. Steroids can bring on transient diabetes.

Medusa
02-03-2008, 05:01 PM
If he's going to be on increased doses of Prednisone for any length of time, make sure he has his blood sugar checked. Steroids can bring on transient diabetes.
Wow, good to know. Thanx for that. I think it will probably only be for a few weeks but the dr. has been checking his blood and I'm sure he'll continue. I'll mention it to my son just to be safe, not the diabetes part because he tends to be his own worst enemy w/worry but I'll tell him to be sure that the dr. check his blood sugar.

Rachel
02-03-2008, 05:35 PM
. He's big on vitamins and herbs and is always mindful of good eating habits, rest, exercise, etc.

You might want to suggest that he let the doctors know of all the vitamins and herbs he has been taking. It has recently been something that our clinic regularly asks us along with asking us about all our medications. Not that it is likley that these may be in any way involved as he is young and probably not taking any medication, but just to cover all bases.

Medusa
02-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Thank you for that again. I'll be sure to tell him. :)

cyber-sibes
02-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Just reading this now, you & your son will be in my prayers. i hope he continues to improve and gets his health fully back soon.
I can sympathize with how helpless you feel being so far away - we're all from OH, and when I was in IL, my sons were in CA...now they're back in OH & I had to move to RI. Frustrating! I think about what I would do if one of them became seriously ill. Thank God prayers know no boundaries!

Medusa
02-04-2008, 12:44 PM
As I mentioned earlier, my son's girlfriend is a nurse and she has spoken to another nurse who served in Iraq and this nurse said that she saw this type of illness there frequently and that it was temporary. My son's girlfriend also spoke to 4 doctors, all of whom said that they're surprised that the ER dr. gave the diagnosis of myositis so quickly. So now my son is really angry because he feels like the doctors don't know what they're doing. I'm trying to get him to understand that his symptoms could be a host of things but that isn't helping his state of mind any. He's on his way to the walk-in clinic now and they told him to prepare for a long day, possibly he'll get an MRI and maybe an EMG. I guess I'll know more later but it probably won't be until tonight. So I wait. This is agonizing.

moosmom
02-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Mary,

You and your son are in my prayers, honey. If you need to talk, call me on my cellphone. I'll PM you with it. I can call you back cuz I've got tons minutes on it.

Pam
02-04-2008, 04:49 PM
This seems like it might be taking a turn. I don't know if that is good or bad but the "unknowing" must be unnerving. I know that being so far away must be driving you crazy. (((hugs)))

Thank God prayers know no boundaries!

Isn't that the truth! God is everywhere. He is with your son and you at the same time. I have often prayed when I am concerned about a loved one far away "I know I can't be there but you can."

shepgirl
02-04-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm so glad things seem to be looking brighter for you. Hope your son keeps on improving every day.
Don't worry too much about the diabetes thing...sounds like your son is on prednisone for short term therapy. 6 tablets of 10mg daily is the usual dosage , I was on it a few times myself and my doc said not to worry about the diabetes thing since it was only short term. My dad was on for years and he never had a problem . If your son had a history of diabetes it might be different but not in this case probably. He could ask the doc so he could reassure you. Wishing you and your son best of luck beating this thing.

freckles1
02-04-2008, 05:51 PM
sorry,

my first reply got cut short. Anyhow, did your sons symptoms start during or after working out with weights? Has he injured himself in any way? You said he is not having any pain, numbness, or tingling, Is that right? Are both arms equally weak? When you say "weak" what do you mean? Can he still perform daily activities? If he is losing his ability to perform daily activities than that is more serious. If he were injured in some way he could have something damaged in his spine that is affecting his spinal cord and nerves. If his weakness is due to an illness than he could just be feeling weak, but still able to move and feel everything normally. If his symptoms persist or get worse than he could get a CT and MRI to rule out any spinal damage or nerve damage. Usually with nerve damage the patient will feel numbness, tingling, and often describes a burning type pain. If your son worked his muscles out to ohard he could be having weakness in his muscles and may describe his weakness as a rubbery feeling in the affected limbs. If that is the case it will improve over the next several days.

I am sure the ER will address those questions and if not help, refer your son to where he can get help. Hope that helps a little.

Freckles1

Freedom
02-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Seems like now it is just a matter of him sitting back and patiently waiting fo rhis body to heal itself. Sounds like he isn't big on the 'patience' part! :D Glad to hear things are on the road to recovery, even if it SI at a snail's pace, and he woud prefer to be in an Indy car!

Medusa
02-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Yes, patience is not his strong suit, believe me. He's got a heart of gold and will help anyone at any time. He's been there for everyone and now he's giving everyone else a hard time when they want to be there for him.

I just spoke to my dr. who is also a family friend and he told me that, judging just from what I've told him, that it indeed does sound like "viral" myositis and, if that's the case, it will have to run its course and treatment may take a while. Well, my son is self supporting and doesn't have a wife or live in girlfriend to pick up the slack w/finances, so that's part of his impatience. He wants to get back to work. If this drags out much longer, I may have to go to LA and help him out. But I'm closing one of my offices and I need to have my furniture out, so I've been moving things that I can carry and/or put in my car so that on moving day we'll only have the big pieces to move and it should go smoothly. (Lord willin' and the creek don't rise.)

I'll know more late tonight or tomorrow and I can report how he's feeling and what the dr/s. had to say.

Medusa
02-04-2008, 11:39 PM
did your sons symptoms start during or after working out with weights? You said he is not having any pain, numbness, or tingling, Is that right? Are both arms equally weak? When you say "weak" what do you mean? Can he still perform daily activities?
The weakness in his forearms started after working out w/weights. He said they felt "really pumped" but not weak, just strange. It wasn't until the next morning that he said they felt weak. Both arms were equally weak but tonight he said the left one is weaker. He has difficulty plugging something into a socket, taking caps off bottles, peeling a banana, washing his hair, etc. No strength. He has no problems w/breathing or swallowing, no pain, no numbness or tingling, just weakness ie. lack of strength.

He sees a neurologist tomorrow at 9 AM Los Angeles time. His anger is absolutely out of control. He's so frustrated because he can't work. He has an opportunity to go to Sweden next month for his work and he's convinced that this is going to blow it. I'm stressed to the max because he no longer talks, he just screams.

cassiesmom
02-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Medusa, how is your son today? How did his neurologist appt. go? I hope the prednisone is starting to help.

gini
02-05-2008, 05:05 PM
I keep hoping we have good news from your son - even a bit of improvement would lift his spirits.

Medusa
02-05-2008, 05:16 PM
I haven't heard anything yet today. He called me last night after midnight Ohio time and he was just hysterical. The dr. who filled in for the specialist was saying that it "could be" this and it "could be" that. He yelled at her and said "You're not helping me. Stop freaking me out." To top it all off, his cell phone broke because he had difficulty plugging it in to charge it due to his lack of control of his hands and he has so many calls waiting for him and to make but he had to be at the hospital at 9:00 AM, so he couldn't go to Verizon first. I told him to ask his girlfriend or one of his friends to go to Verizon and get him a new phone. He was just shrieking last night, he was so scared. I didn't get to sleep until nearly 5:00 AM and I haven't been able to eat or even go to the bathroom, I'm so stressed. I'm able to distant healings for other people and for my son, nothing. I can't calm down.

Grace
02-05-2008, 05:26 PM
It sounds as though he needs emotional as well as physical help right now. Would he consent to see a Psychologist?

Medusa
02-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Anything I say to him right now isn't helping. The dr. who speculated shouldn't have done that when she saw he was in such an agitated state. She only made it worse. It's the sense of helplessness that has him so upset.

Grace
02-05-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm just wondering if one is feeding off the other right now. He has the weakness, then agitates about it, probably magnifying the symptoms. He's in a vicious circle.

Are you able to talk with his girlfriend without him hearing? Possibly she might be able to get him to someone who can help?

Medusa
02-05-2008, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE=Grace]I'm just wondering if one is feeding off the other right now. He has the weakness, then agitates about it, probably magnifying the symptoms. He's in a vicious circle.QUOTE]

That's exactly how it is. He did just now call me, though, and he does sound better. I asked him how he feels and if he thinks he's improving at all and he said "If I have to put a number on it, I'd say 5%". Yesterday, he wasn't able to lift himself up off the exam table; today he could. The dr. noticed the difference right away. Then, of course, another dr. came in and ran the same tests that the first dr. did. He ruled out multiple sclerosis and Lou Gehrig's disease and one other one that I'm hard pressed to remember right now. He's inclined to go along w/the first drs. diagonosis of acute myositis. My son said that part of his problem was that they took 15 vials of blood out of him yesterday and he didn't eat for another 10 1/2 hours. Then when his cell phone broke, that was it! They want him to visit the Muscular Dystrophy Clinic but he really doesn't have symptoms of that. The MDA clinic has really good diagnosticians and they treat muscle diseases other than MD and their services are free. He said that if he doesn't improve, he'll go. If he improves, he doesn't want to go. I'm not going to battle that w/him right now. His spirits improved and I'm going to let it be until Fri. when he has to go back in and be rechecked.

Forgot to mention that all of his blood work came back fine. No kidney problems, liver, heart, etc. His CPK is elevated but the dr. said that it isn't as high as some he's seen, so he's not concerned.

Grace
02-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Sounds more promising. Will continue with prayers for both of you, and look forward to positive updates :)

dukedogsmom
02-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Glad to hear he's gradually improving. I hope he continues to do so.

Medusa
02-05-2008, 06:52 PM
I'll take whatever improvement I can get. He's talking about working on Fri. and Sat. and going to Sweden next week, so he's at least more positive about that. As for me, I'm one big knot. I need a hot soak.

Catty1
02-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Glad he is feeling better mood-wise...that will help healing.

Prayers still coming your way...I hope you and he can get a bit of sleep, Mary.

{{{{hugs}}}}

Medusa
02-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Yes, we both need sleep. He had a panic attack at 3:00 AM, understandably, so he was already in a weakened condition.

catfamily
02-05-2008, 08:02 PM
i'm sending more prayers your way,having mike aslo in on it for your son in hopes he makes a 100% recovery,as soon as his body can.
and you get some rest ok?Try...maybe walk a bit with outside fresh air to get you feeling a bit better for him when you see him.
i know he'd hate to see you all upset and exhausted...he'd worry about you.
I'm sending some positive vibes and more prayers for you both.
sometimes reading can help make us all sleep.

Medusa
02-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanx, Kim, PT has been such a comfort to me. I don't know who Mike Aslo is, though, but if he's good at prayers and healing, etc., I'm all for it!

jennielynn1970
02-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Oh my gosh... I hope that things will steadily improve with your son. I hope that you will both be able to relax and have some peace soon.

krazyaboutkatz
02-06-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm glad to hear that your son's condition is starting to improve. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care.

catfamily
02-06-2008, 09:00 AM
in answer to who is mike... :) mike is my husband...if i ask him to say a quick prayer for someone i feel strongly that needs it...he accually does it :)
he's a good guy.
i'm lucky to have him.

Medusa
02-06-2008, 09:39 AM
in answer to who is mike... :) mike is my husband...if i ask him to say a quick prayer for someone i feel strongly that needs it...he accually does it :)

I appreciate it beyond measure. :)

Randi
02-06-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your son's illness. :( I hope he'll get his strength back soon and the condition is not too serious. I can certainly understand if he's scared and frustrated - and you too.

Fister and I will keep our paws and fingers crossed that he's back to normal soon. :)

((((hugs))))

Medusa
02-06-2008, 02:23 PM
I just spoke to him and he said that he feels he's 25% improved, which is great news for me. He said that he can open a door w/his right hand now instead of using both hands but he still can't take a cap off a pen. He's calmed down quite a bit and even cracked a few jokes, so I'm more hopeful than I have been. My head has felt like it's been in a vise for the last couple of days because one of the drs. said it could be Lou Gehrig's disease and that's why he got so hysterical. When he told me, I thought I was going to pass out. I heard a loud clanging in my ears and I thought I was going to hit the floor. I know drs. become calloused due to working w/devastating illnesses but they need to realize that, when we're sick we're at our most scared and vulnerable. To say something like that to someone, especially someone as young and vital as my son and who has no one there w/him, is cruel. The other dr. told him last night "Well, we've ruled out Lou Gehrig's disease, multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, inclusion body myositis, polymyositis, etc. so I'd say that the ER dr. was right on when he said "acute" mysositis." My son and I both breathed a sigh of relief. They want him to go to the Muscular Dystrophy clinic due to the great diagnosticians they have there and they treat/diagnose several muscle diseases, not just muscular dystrophy and their services are free. But he said he'd only go if he gets worse and, right now, he's improving. So he goes back on Fri. and he's going to ask the dr. what his chances are of this recurring since it's labeled "acute" and not chronic. I don't know. I just do not know. What I do know is I've got to relax somehow. I have a gift card for a full day at a day spa that my son gave me for Mothers' Day last year and I still haven't used it. But I'm so stressed that I don't want to waste it right now. I want to go when I can enjoy it. But I sure could use a good deep tissue massage right about now.

catfamily
02-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Wow...geez...at least for now it seems like this is GOOD news.Hopefully this will be gone for good...very soon.

gini
02-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Oh, this news is so promising!

Daisy and Delilah
02-06-2008, 03:59 PM
I will keep hoping and praying that he improves more and more. How awful for all of you. I know it's zapping all the strength you all have. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Rachel
02-06-2008, 09:32 PM
The latest news is very encouraging. Your son being young has not much experience with the frailties of the human body, hence his impatience with his current condition. I do hope that you can convince him to give his body the time it needs to heal and do whatever it takes to assist in that healing.

krazyaboutkatz
02-07-2008, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the great update. I'm so glad to hear that your son's condition it improving.:) Now hopefully you'll be able to relax.:)

cassiesmom
02-07-2008, 10:52 AM
I know drs. become calloused due to working w/devastating illnesses but they need to realize that, when we're sick we're at our most scared and vulnerable. To say something like that to someone, especially someone as young and vital as my son and who has no one there w/him, is cruel. The other dr. told him last night "Well, we've ruled out Lou Gehrig's disease, multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, inclusion body myositis, polymyositis, etc. so I'd say that the ER dr. was right on when he said "acute" myositis." My son and I both breathed a sigh of relief. They want him to go to the Muscular Dystrophy clinic due to the great diagnosticians they have there and they treat/diagnose several muscle diseases, not just muscular dystrophy and their services are free. But he said he'd only go if he gets worse and, right now, he's improving.

I can see both sides of this one. Viral myositis makes sense to me. But on the other hand, I can see a doc wanting to pursue it further since your son is young, healthy and it would make sense to make sure his symptoms were not part of a condition other than viral myositis. Also good to know he can go to the MD clinic if that should be necessary.

Hug,
Elyse

Medusa
02-07-2008, 11:33 AM
I can see both sides of this one.
It isn't that I don't understand why the dr. wants to do further testing. I just didn't like that she so flippantly blurted out what it could be. Until she knew for certain, she could've said "Let's just wait and see and not panic right now. We've got further testing to do." To put those words into his head (and mine) was terrifying and not easily erased.

Medusa
02-07-2008, 02:50 PM
I just spoke w/my son and he feels that he's at 40%. He can now open the door w/his left hand, although not as easily as w/his right. He said he could take the cap off his pen but when he was talking w/me, he tried and couldn't do it at first, then he managed to do it. He washed his hair for the first time in a week but he wasn't able to scrub it the way he likes to but so far all he had been able to do is let the water run over his head. He said washing dishes is tricky. He can't hold the dish w/his left hand, he has to put it in the sink and wash it w/his right. He goes back to the walk-in clinic tomorrow for more blood tests and the results. He won't relax until he hears good news, even though the neurologist ruled out ALS, MS and many other too scary diseases to even mention. But as I said earlier, those words stayed in my mind and I haven't been able to erase them or the fear that goes w/them since that dr. said it and I know my son hasn't been able to either. So. Will you all please continue and even bump up your prayers for my son, that all will go well tomorrow and that we'll have some more good news so that we can exhale? I'm so tense that I can't even go to the bathroom.

Karen
02-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Hey, progress is good! A little better each day is all we ask, right? :)

catfamily
02-07-2008, 02:57 PM
More Prayers on the way...they won't stop.

gini
02-07-2008, 03:31 PM
For you it seems an eternity for the progress, but from here it really sounds good that he has improved by that much.

Continued prayers are very important! You have mine.

Taz_Zoee
02-07-2008, 04:02 PM
You and your son have been and will continue to be in my thoughts.
I'm glad to hear he is starting to feel better. Slowly but surely. :)

Medusa
02-07-2008, 07:34 PM
I spoke to my dr. who is also a family friend and he told me that he feels that my son's progress is good news and that he has seen cases where it took 3-6 weeks just to see the results that my son has seen. He also said that the dr. who freaked him out about what it could be unfortunately just had her own "style", as he put it. He said "I wouldn't have said that but sometimes patients do push you for a possible diagnosis and then they regret it later". I said "Well, my son didn't push, she volunteered the info and then she added insult to injury by laughing when he freaked out about it". He also said that he feels my son will be back to 100% and not have a recurrence of it if it is indeed "acute viral mysositis". Tomorrow's blood tests will tell us more.

So I called my son to tell him what my dr. said and he said "Well, I actually have the strength to pass gas. My abdomen was so weak before that I couldn't do it. You know me, Mom. I'm a farter." That really made me laugh and that made him laugh and that's what we both needed, a good laugh. (He would absolutely kill me if he knew I was posting this.) He was carrying in a couple of bags of groceries and he said "Let me call you right back, Mom. I've got to put these groceries down." So he had strength to do that and he said that his arms didn't feel as weak or tired and they weren't burning from carrying the bags. But he still has the weakness in his left arm and hand. He was worried about it possibly having been a stroke but my dr. reassured me that, if the neurologist thought that, he would've ordered an MRI because he'd be able to tell whether there were tell tale signs just from the examination.

So. All good signs. Donna (moosmom) told me to call her if I need to and I did (before I talked to my son) and I had a meltdown. I needed that, too. I've been wound tighter than a drum for over a week now, feeling like a lousy mom for not being w/my boy. But he keeps reassuring me that there's really nothing I can do for him anyhow. Yeah, except hug him. A lot. But I'll get to do that again this spring when he comes home for another visit. Am I ever gonna cook up a storm for that boy!

Anyhow, just thought I should post something positive since I've been crying so much on PT. Thanx for listening and all the reassuring words, friends. I owe ya. And I'll report again tomorrow after I hear the results of his blood work. Now if I can just get a good night's sleep under my belt.

cassiesmom
02-07-2008, 07:39 PM
So. Will you all please continue and even bump up your prayers for my son, that all will go well tomorrow and that we'll have some more good news so that we can exhale?
Absolutely!

jenluckenbach
02-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Definitely more prayers. (and a lot of happy smiles at the progress so far)

catfamily
02-07-2008, 08:03 PM
sounds like things are looking up for him.and yes...more prayers going your way.everyone here cares so much for you and your son now.
i'm sure he'll get 100% better.i mean...all these prayers :) how could he not get better ;)

Medusa
02-07-2008, 08:06 PM
all these prayers :) how could he not get better
That's exactly how I feel.

slick
02-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Bumping up my prayers for tomorrow.:)

K9karen
02-07-2008, 08:46 PM
*Sigh of Relief*. Glad your son is feeling better. Gotta hate that prednisone, but love how it helps so many ailments. I hope he feels good enough to go to Sweden. That should help with the cure. I think it;s time to use your spa certificate! Hugs

Cincy'sMom
02-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Lots of prayers for good news tomorrow!

krazyaboutkatz
02-08-2008, 12:33 AM
I'm so glad to hear that your son is doing much better. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.:)

moosmom
02-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Did I mention you don't look old enough to have a son aged 40????

You two are still in my prayers. You've got my number, Mary. Call ANYTIME!!!

(((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))

Donna

Medusa
02-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Did I mention you don't look old enough to have a son aged 40????
Thanx, Donna. I appreciate that. I feel as though I've aged a lot in this last 10 days or so.

kimlovescats
02-08-2008, 10:16 AM
First things first ..... ((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))) ))
You poor, sweet thing! I would be so beyond myself and yet you have somehow held it together! You have more strength than you realize! I am so thankful to hear that your son is showing definite signs of improvement. That has to be very encouraging and a big relief to both of you! I know there is always that inner fear that it's something worse, but please try to keep Faith that the improvement is definitely a POSITIVE!

I cannot believe the gall of that one doctor and then to laugh at his response? She ought to be repremanded for that! :mad:

Well, please know that I am praying for you and your dear son!

Love and Hugs,
Kim

Pawsitive Thinking
02-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Just checking in to see how you and your boy are doing.....we are all with you

Medusa
02-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Just to know that I have my PT friends all across the globe is a tremendous comfort! You have no idea!

My son called me on his way to the clinic and he said that he's up to 50%. He said "I could actually press the cap on my hairspray bottle. Not all the way but a little." His sleep is so-so. I asked him if he stores things under his bed and he said "Here comes the feng shui!". I said "Humor me and remove anything that's under there. If you have books there, all those written thoughts are under there. And if it's anything electrical, it can also interrupt your sleep patterns. And cover up your TV when not in use." "Sigh. Ok, mom, whatever you say" was the reply. He's in better spirits but I can hear the reservation in his voice. He'll feel better once the dr. tells him that his CPK is lower, I'm sure. I've been praying for him, of course, and one of the positive affirmations that I've been saying on his behalf is "God is now dissolving and removing all illness from Glenn's body, quickly, easily and in peace." He said this morning "Mom, you would not believe the stuff that came out of my nose when I blew it this morning. I haven't had the strength to really blow my nose but this morning I finally did and the vilest, brownest stuff I have ever seen just kept coming and coming." I didn't even tell him the prayer that I had been saying. I just said "Well, it appears that the illness and infection are wanting to get out of your body as much as you want it to leave. So let it." He at least agreed w/that statement.

So when I hear his report from the clinic, I'll post again later. Thank you all so much for being there. Just logging on and seeing replies to this thread is a healing balm for him and me.

gini
02-08-2008, 11:31 AM
When each day the news gets better and better I am sure you are beyond relieved.

I can just imagine how terribly worried you have been all of this time.

We will keep the prayers continuing for sure.

Medusa
02-08-2008, 04:42 PM
My son called me after his clinic visit. They took 7 more vials of blood and he asked them to at least switch to the other arm because his left arm was sore and bruised. He said he has so many needle tracks that it looks like he's a heroin addict.

Good news: all the drs. seem to agree that it's viral and not chronic and they're pleased somewhat w/his progress in certain areas. They're pleased that he can get up off the exam table on his own and shower, wash his hair, etc. But his reflexes aren't what they should be. They had him hold his hands out in front and link his fingers together and pull. He did it fine. But when they hit his knees w/the little reflex hammer, not good. He told me that on the way to the clinic that his knees were bothering him and he wasn't sure why. But since his other reflexes were working ok, they're not too alarmed. However, his CPK went from 500 to 700 to 1050 which I don't understand, since he's at 50% progress. So. He goes back March 7 for more blood work and a nerve conduction test to "be sure this doesn't come back" as the dr. put it. The dr. told him not to worry, that it isn't chronic, that he doesn't want him to lift anything today or tomorrow and that he can do light exercise. My son felt relieved when the dr. said that it isn't chronic. He said that as long as he continues to improve, he's ok. He just doesn't want to regress.

Btw, remember the dr. that I told you scared my son so badly and then laughed? As it turns out, he actually has grown to like her. He said that she at least smiles. The other drs. are very serious and he doesn't like that.

So I'll continue to update on his progress which I'm hopeful will continue and for sure I'll post after his next visit to the clinic on March 7. He doesn't need to go back before then unless he gets worse, which we're pretty hopeful that he won't.

Daisy and Delilah
02-08-2008, 04:50 PM
More thoughts and prayers going out from Florida. This is one of the scariest things I've ever read. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to experience it first hand. Again, I just think of one of my kids calling with this kind of news. I would have to be hospitalized.
Giant hugs to your son and to you too, Mary!! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

cassiesmom
02-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Prayers being said!

NoahsMommy
02-08-2008, 06:09 PM
I'll be keeping you all in my prayers for a speedy healing for Glenn. :)

Hugs and Love,
Kelly and Kits

phesina
02-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Mary, we are all so happy to hear that things are improving for Glenn! We continue to pray and send good, warm wishes and healing energies.

Love, hugs, and purrs,
Pat and cats

Rachel
02-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Good news: all the drs. seem to agree that it's viral and not chronic and they're pleased somewhat w/his progress in certain areas. They're pleased that he can get up off the exam table on his own and shower, wash his hair, etc. But his reflexes aren't what they should be. They had him hold his hands out in front and link his fingers together and pull. He did it fine. But when they hit his knees w/the little reflex hammer, not good. He told me that on the way to the clinic that his knees were bothering him and he wasn't sure why. But since his other reflexes were working ok, they're not too alarmed. However, his CPK went from 500 to 700 to 1050 which I don't understand, since he's at 50% progress. So. He goes back March 7 for more blood work and a nerve conduction test to "be sure this doesn't come back" as the dr. put it. The dr. told him not to worry, that it isn't chronic, that he doesn't want him to lift anything today or tomorrow and that he can do light exercise. My son felt relieved when the dr. said that it isn't chronic. He said that as long as he continues to improve, he's ok. He just doesn't want to regress.

Btw, remember the dr. that I told you scared my son so badly and then laughed? Guess what her name is? Dr. Kevorkian! As it turns out, he actually has grown to like her. He said that she at least smiles. The other drs. are very serious and he doesn't like that.

So I'll continue to update on his progress which I'm hopeful will continue and for sure I'll post after his next visit to the clinic on March 7. He doesn't need to go back before then unless he gets worse, which we're pretty hopeful that he won't.

Thanks for all the updates, Mary. This has indeed be a scary one for us here, but the improvement he has had is impressive and encouraging. I'm sorry Dr. K. blurted out all the things she had been considering...but at least she considered them. She was trying to rule out everything she could possibly think of. I'd rather have a good diagnostician with a poor bedside manner than the other way around. I hope that your son will take things slow and gradual and not try to do too much, especially with the exercising. The last thing he...or you...or us...needs is a setback.

Medusa
02-09-2008, 05:40 AM
I'd rather have a good diagnostician with a poor bedside manner than the other way around.
I certainly don't want to appear argumentative, especially after everyone has been so kind to me throughout this ordeal. And ordinarily I would agree w/the above statement. But she began with "I've never seen this before. It could be Lou Gehrig's disease". So, if she'd never seen it before, how could she make a statement like that?

Doctors and people in general who are not aware of the power of words are behind the times. Words can harm and words can heal. Far be it from me to be preachy and get biblical but even the Bible states that "the power of life and death are in the tongue". If this doctor couldn't think of anything encouraging to say, she would've done less damage by just keeping quiet until there was a diagnosis. I think if doctors could see just how their words truly affect their patients, they'd choose their words more carefully. My son went into a tailspin and because he did, I did. Stress management plays such a large part in healing and that one simple sentence halted his progress. However, both my son and I realize that she meant no harm, that her intentions were only the best and that she simply lacks grace and communication skills. It's been a learning experience for everyone involved, including this doctor.

cassiesmom
02-09-2008, 01:31 PM
However, his CPK went from 500 to 700 to 1050 which I don't understand, since he's at 50% progress.
I looked this up, because I had a suspicion about why it was still rising but I just wanted to check.

Creatine phosphokinase (CPK or CK) is an enzyme found in the heart (muscle), skeletal muscle and also in the brain. CPK goes from the muscle to the bloodstream after an injury to the muscle (such as myositis or a heart attack, or even having multiple blood draws). It should start trending back down as the myositis continues to resolve.

Mary, I hope your son is doing better and better each day! I'll keep praying!

Catty1
02-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Go, Glenn!!!

Are you getting some sleep these days, Mary?

Medusa
02-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Glenn is doing better physically. He feels that he's at about 85%. He lost 5 lbs. and he has no appetite now, which concerns me because he's always been a voracious eater. But his girlfriend broke up w/him so I think that's contributing to it all. Nice, huh? She actually said "Am I going to have to take care of you for the rest of my life?" Such compassion. If that's the way she felt, she could've waited. She saw that he was improving and she could've waited til he was back to 100%. My heart aches for him right now. He's been through enough and didn't need this.

I haven't had a computer since Saturday and I'm currently waiting for replacement parts. My computer may quit before then, so if I don't post, you'll know why. This has just been an awful month, mentally, emotionally, physically and financially. I'm ready to have a breakdown myself.

caseysmom
02-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Glenn is doing better physically. He feels that he's at about 85%. He lost 5 lbs. and he has no appetite now, which concerns me because he's always been a voracious eater. But his girlfriend broke up w/him so I think that's contributing to it all. Nice, huh? She actually said "Am I going to have to take care of you for the rest of my life?" Such compassion. If that's the way she felt, she could've waited. She saw that he was improving and she could've waited til he was back to 100%. My heart aches for him right now. He's been through enough and didn't need this.

I haven't had a computer since Saturday and I'm currently waiting for replacement parts. My computer may quit before then, so if I don't post, you'll know why. This has just been an awful month, mentally, emotionally, physically and financially. I'm ready to have a breakdown myself.

She broke up with him just because of this? Wow he can do better anyway poor guy.

Karen
02-11-2008, 05:02 PM

The "no appetite" thing could be due to the Prednisone. Prednisone makes me completely starving all the time, but my brother - Lady's Human - ends up having to reminded to eat - his appetite goes away completely. It's not much to worry about, when he's off the Pednisone entirely, it'll be back to normal.

It was so strange for me, my body saying "hungry! hungry! hungry!" when my brain knew I had just eaten my fill, and I couldn't possibly eat more.

Medusa
02-11-2008, 05:19 PM
The "no appetite" thing could be due to the Prednisone.
I forgot to mention that his dr. took him off the Prednisone. He was only on it for 4 days. He said that Prednisone masks other diseases so he felt it wouldn't do him any good. Funny but when he was on it, he didn't get any better. When he went off it, he started to improve. His dr., my dr. and my friend who is a nurse, all say that his comeback has been remarkable. It usually takes 3-6 weeks before you see improvement and he's almost back to normal.

His "girlfriend", for lack of a better word, says she still has feelings for her ex-boyfriend. She was just looking for an out and she found one. Better that he find out now than when he was in deeper but I still think her timing was awful. My Mama Tiger claws have definitely come out on this one.

catfamily
02-11-2008, 05:39 PM
I have to say that I am really upset and angry at His Girlfriend.What kind of person is she anyway?
One great thing is...he'll learn to pick the RIGHT one next.He'll see through everyone and their faults before giving his love again.
He'll be a better man and find a perfect wife and have a great family later on.
Don't worry...it's best for him to find out now about her.
The feeling of loss from her will pass,right after another lady starts flirting with him :) ;)
He'll be fine,don't worry.
Mom's love is forever...and THAT is what counts :)
He'll have his own family later on...he's still young.
He's VERY lucky to have you.

jennielynn1970
02-11-2008, 05:39 PM
God, and that girlfriend was a nurse as well??? What can you say about her bedside manner?? That just sucks that she would break up with him when he is sick and feeling so down. She must be a terribly self-centered person. Reminds me of the ex-wife of the marine on the Extreme Makeover Home Edition from last night (compassion-wise...)... Marine loses leg in Iraq, comes home, is going through rehab to get mobility back, and wife leaves him with the 4 kids to go off on her own. What kind of person does that??!!

Medusa
02-11-2008, 05:45 PM
What kind of person does that??!!
A self centered one, that's what kind. I can't imagine doing that to a person. If she doesn't have feelings for him, ok, fair enough. You can't fake what ya ain't got. But her timing and her total lack of compassion is what gets me. He said that it's like she flipped a switch and just turned off. No signs, no warning, no cooling off. Just done. Period. She called him and wants to meet to talk further and he put her off until he's feeling better. This is not like my son at all. He's always been one to say if there's a dealbreaker, then so be it. He said that he's healing physically, emotionally and mentally and it's all too much for him right now. Personally, I don't trust her now. If she wants to get back together, she'll do it again. I wouldn't want to wait for the other shoe to drop. Enough about her. My son is improving and that's all I care about. This isn't his first relationship and it won't be his last. His heart will heal just as his body is healing.

Grace
02-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Better he finds this out now, rather than get married and then she wants out - and takes him to the cleaners in the process.

He needs to ban her from his life - forever!!

cassiesmom
02-11-2008, 06:20 PM
His girlfriend broke up w/him so I think that's contributing to it all. Nice, huh? She actually said "Am I going to have to take care of you for the rest of my life?" Such compassion.

Wait a moment, isn't your son's (now ex-) girlfriend a nurse? Geesh, that stinks. I am thinking of you and your son today & praying.

Medusa
02-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Better he finds this out now, rather than get married
Well, my son doesn't believe in marriage. He feels it's an outdated idea. (Famous last words, huh?) He could change his mind, of course, but it isn't too likely in the near future, that's for sure.

catfamily
02-11-2008, 07:41 PM
he'll want to get married as soon as he meets the ONE! :D
he'll say...mom...i think i met THE ONE! ;)

cassiesmom
02-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Medusa, how is your son getting along?

Medusa
02-14-2008, 11:30 AM
I spoke to him last night and he's going to call me again today. He feels that he's still at 85%. He just can't seem to get the strength back in his left arm and hand and he's concerned that he has permanent muscle damage. The drs. did tell him that it takes a while to build new muscle tissue because he did experience muscle damage. The muscle tissue actually died so it takes a while to build new. He may have done even better if his girlfriend hadn't broken up w/him during all this but, all in all, he's doing much better. I just don't want him to overdo it now. He needs rest more than anything.

Thank you so much for asking.

phesina
02-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Mary, I'm so glad to know he's doing better.. slowly but surely is the way to go. My kitties and I are all still praying and sending our loving good wishes.

Hugs and purrs,
Pat and cats

jenluckenbach
02-14-2008, 07:16 PM
I too am glad that he is doing better. What a strange illness :confused: .

DJFyrewolf36
02-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Payers on the way for your son. I hope he is 100% soon!

Medusa
02-16-2008, 09:35 AM
My son called last night after a workout. Yes, his dr. told him that working out would be good for him, so he's taking it light. He won't go as often or work out as hard but he needs exercise. He said the same thing that he's been saying, that his grip just isn't what it should be, which is keeping him from lifting the heavy weights, so in my opinion, it's sort of a blessing in disguise because I don't want him to overwork the muscles and cause inflammation again. The stress is just unbearable for me. I can't handle stress the way I used to. And now w/my Puddy being sick again, it's been difficult to keep my spirits up for my son. Anyhow, all in all, a good report for Glenn. But when you say your prayers, please keep him in them, ok? Thanx, my wonderful PT friends. You're the best.

moosmom
02-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Mary,

That is wonderful news!! Don't forget to take care of YOU!!! Glenn sounds like he's on the road to a speedy recovery. I mean, look how far he's come so far, huh??

You and Glenn are still in my thoughts and prayers.

Love and (((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))

Donna and crew

Medusa
02-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanx, Donna. I don't know how I would've made it through all this w/out the help and prayers and encouragement of my PT friends. You and a few others, such as Candace and Karen, have been especially helpful, Donna, and I truly appreciate it. I'm here for all of you, too. I hope you all know that.

Catty1
02-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Maybe Glenn will learn to take it easier now, and have a bit more balance in his life. :)

Mary, was he named after the astronaut John Glenn? The double "n" isn't something that's often seen.

You take your vitamins and eat regularly (even if small meals) and feel better soon.

your *mom* ;) :D

Medusa
02-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Mary, was he named after the astronaut John Glenn? The double "n" isn't something that's often seen.
No, actually, my (now) ex-husband and I couldn't agree on names. I wanted to name him after our fathers, either Charles Vincent or Vincent Charles but he didn't like that. He wanted to name him a typical Italian name such as Rocco or even Aloysius, if you can imagine. I didn't like those. So when I was in the hospital, a nurse came in and said "You really need to name your son" and Glen Campbell's show was on TV at that time so when I saw his face on the screen, I wrote down "Glenn Anthony", even though Campbell spells his first name w/one N. Anthony is my ex's brother's name so I figured that would placate him somewhat. I always liked the name Glenn anyhow. I know it seems I didn't put much thought into naming my son but I did. Our ideas just didn't mesh, though.

gini
02-16-2008, 11:36 AM
All I can think of is that it has been a long way from "there" to "here"........and the news just gets better and better about Glenn's recovery.

We won't let up on the prayers until we hear that he is 100%.

catfamily
02-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Don't you worry....Prayers are still being said for your son :)

Medusa
02-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Don't you worry....Prayers are still being said for your son :)
Good. He needs them. So do I. He's doing much better but, as I've mentioned, his grip just isn't as it should be. I guess that will take some time.

Daisy and Delilah
02-17-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm still keeping you and your son in my thoughts and prayers. What an ordeal this has been. Bless you both. :)

cassiesmom
03-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Mary, I was thinking about your son this morning; how is he coming along?

Thanks,
elyse

Medusa
03-06-2008, 05:33 PM
How nice of you to ask, Elyse. I intended to post tomorrow, since it will be 30 days since he first exhibited symptoms. (I can't believe it. It feels like ages ago, not just a month.) He has an early morning appointment for a checkup and bloodwork to monitor his CPK and he goes to the MDA clinic next week (I think) for a nerve conduction test. But, to answer your question, he says he's nearly back 100%. He still doesn't quite have the grip in his left hand that he used to and, during his last exam, the dr. was somewhat concerned about the reflexes in his legs. But he feels that's because he was still recuperating and it does take some time for muscle to build new tissue. A lot of his muscle tissue died and so he has to be patient. But his outlook is so much better and he tells me nearly every time we talk on the phone that, whenever he gets stuck in L.A. traffic (which is every day), that he's just grateful to be able to push the button on his power windows. When he was so sick w/the paralysis, he couldn't even do that. He promised to call me tomorrow after his checkup and I'll be sure to post the results as soon as possible. Thank you again for asking. It means so much. :)

jenluckenbach
03-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the update. I'll be waiting to hear what he says after his check up.

So, are you going to go out and visit him? ;)

Medusa
03-06-2008, 05:41 PM
So, are you going to go out and visit him? ;)

Boy, I would love to, for a host of reasons, to see him, of course, and to escape this OH weather. But w/Puddy in such an iffy state of health, I'm afraid to chance it. She's back on daily subQ's and my cat sitter begged me not to make her do that. Plus her father is dying of pancreatic cancer and isn't expected to live much longer, so I'd only ask her to cat sit if I had an emergency. I even considered putting Puddy in the vet hospital so she could get her treatments but my vet feels it would stress her too much. Soooo, I guess I wait until he can come home for a visit. He usually comes in April for my birthday or May for his or Mothers' Day, so I don't have too much longer to wait.

gini
03-06-2008, 05:54 PM
I am so glad to read this great report on your son. Goodness, what a frightening experience for both of you.

Catty1
03-06-2008, 08:04 PM
HUGS. I was thinking of Glenn today when you posted that story about him when he was little - and Elyse beat me to it.

Glad to hear he is almost 100%. :)

You might want to tell him that he is growing BRAND NEW muscles! ;)

Great news!

phesina
03-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Wonderful news! I'm so glad he's doing so much better. Best wishes to him with the checkup.

Love, hugs, and purrs,
Pat and cats

Pawsitive Thinking
03-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Glad to see he is doing so much better - long may it continue!

Medusa
03-07-2008, 02:45 PM
I spoke to my son a little while ago and he said that his checkup went ok. They still don't like how his reflexes in his legs are responding and when they asked him to follow the pen light w/his eyes, his right eye had problems. He told them that he worked late last night and only got 5 hours of sleep and that he was tired, so they said "Ok, we'll note that and not worry about it and we'll check it again when you come back". He goes in again on the 19th for the EMG and more blood tests. He said "Yeah, great. The bruises on my arm are finally gone so that I don't look like a heroin addict any more from all the blood work. Now I'll get bruised again". But considering how sick he was, he really isn't complaining. So, I guess we'll know more on the 19th. Thanx for asking about him, everyone.

catfamily
03-07-2008, 11:17 PM
That poor kid.
geez...well,he certainly has many people here praying for him.myself and husband included.
i never believed in prayers to much until these last few years.
i find that they work.
i'm so glad i'm into it now :)
sometimes it takes a while for some of us to believe.
i really hope he gets 100% recovery.hoping he gets more sleep also.
he needs it to get better.rest.

cassiesmom
03-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Medusa, you mentioned your son in another post but I thought I would ask in this thread -- how is he coming along? I hope he is recovering well.

Thanks,
Elyse

Medusa
03-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanx for asking, Elyse. He's doing well. He goes in tomorrow, I think, for an EMG to determine if he's had nerve damage from the illness. His reflexes aren't exactly as good as the drs. had hoped but my son is optimistic that they'll improve w/time. As soon as I know the results of his test, I'll let everyone know.

Medusa
03-19-2008, 05:18 PM
I just spoke to my son and he told me that his EMG results showed that all is normal. He said that he worked out today, a good one, and that he feels he's back 100%. I guess the test itself was no fun. They put needles underneath the skin and send shocks and you have to flex your muscle where the needle is. He said it went from mildly uncomfortable to "OMG, I'm gonna pee my pants it hurts so bad!" If there hadn't been women in the lobby, he said he would've sworn up a storm. :eek: He said that every place that the dr. put the needle is sore now, as though he had blood drawn from each place. He was laughing when he told me about it, though, so he came through it ok. They want to see him again in June (Glenn said that he's getting drunk first) and he said that, if he's on the road, he won't be able to go. The dr. told him that, as long as he isn't having any problems, not to worry about it but, if he is, to get in there immediately. Glenn asked him what his chances are of getting myositis again and the dr. said "The same as I told you before: no more or less of a chance than when you got it the first time". Some people have this condition their entire lives with flares but the dr. feels that, since my son recovered so quickly (most people take 6 - 8 weeks initially), that he won't get it again. He's relieved and so am I.

Thank you all so much for your kind words of support and encouragement. It meant so much to me when I was so worried and it still means a lot to me now.

kimlovescats
03-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Excellent news! :D

krazyaboutkatz
03-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the update.:) This is wonderful news!!!:D

catfamily
03-20-2008, 12:34 AM
What a relief! :)
I know how happy you must be now.What a scare he had as well as you.
Life is so precious.I hope you can get some rest now yourself.
It's been a tough road for both of you.
Positive thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

moosmom
03-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Mary that is WONDERFUL news!!!! See? PT Prayers do work!

((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))) to you girlfriend. You can finally breathe a sigh of relief.

Medusa
03-20-2008, 11:03 AM
See? PT Prayers do work!

((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))
I never doubted that for a second! :)

phesina
03-20-2008, 08:03 PM
What wonderful news, Mary! What a relief for you and Glenn!

The kitties are going to have a catnip party to celebrate in your honor!

jenluckenbach
03-20-2008, 08:06 PM
I too, am very glad to hear a GREAT update!

Medusa
04-02-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm so excited! He always wants to do things for me when he visits such as clean the gutters or paint or whatever. I told him that this visit there's to be no work, just resting and having some fun. I plan on cooking all his favorite meals; my homemade spaghetti, roasted chicken w/stuffing, baked tilapia, filet mignon. After all he's been through, he deserves it.

DJFyrewolf36
04-02-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm glad your son is doing better! Its scary to have close family be sick and not be there for them. My mom is having health problems right now and its hard for me knowing that I cant just drive an hour and visit.
Glad you son can come visit too! Im sure it will be good for both of you :)

Medusa
04-02-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm glad your son is doing better! Its scary to have close family be sick and not be there for them. My mom is having health problems right now and its hard for me knowing that I cant just drive an hour and visit.
Glad you son can come visit too! Im sure it will be good for both of you :)
Thanx for the kind words. I pray for all my PT friends, family and furkids and I'll be sure to include your mom in my prayers. I know how scary it is when you can't be there.

gini
04-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Oh, I am so glad that you are going to have a visit from your son. Give him BIG hugs from all of us - as we have followed his horrific condition to his gradual improvement. What a scare.

Yes, no work - just lots of fun!

So what if he has to go on a diet when he returns to California?

Medusa
04-03-2008, 06:13 AM
So what if he has to go on a diet when he returns to California?
Well, he lost almost 10 lbs. during his ordeal, so it's my duty as a mom to fatten him up. :p

Rachel
04-03-2008, 07:09 AM
I know you will be elated to see him and give him the tender loving care that you've been longing to. Like Gini said, there are many of us who were quite frightened by what he (and you) were going through while he endured that terrible condition. We shall be with you in spirit as well to welcome him home and celebrate his amazing recovery.

catfamily
04-03-2008, 07:43 AM
this is wonderful...him visiting with no work to do.
This time with him you'll always cherish.

don't be to surprised if we all show up from PT at dinner time ;) :D
you sound like a terrific cook :)

Medusa
04-03-2008, 08:20 AM
don't be to surprised if we all show up from PT at dinner time ;) :D you sound like a terrific cook :)
Well, you know how that is. A mom's cooking is always the best. :)

Catty1
04-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Mary, I was sans computer for several days - so great to catch up with you and find out that Glenn is back to 100%, and will be visiting to get to 150% with good home cooking!

Wonderful news!

Do you think he would pop on the computer and say hello to us? :)

Medusa
04-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Do you think he would pop on the computer and say hello to us? :)
Well, if he doesn't, he can forget about my homemade spaghetti sauce. That'll do it. ;)

cassiesmom
04-03-2008, 03:22 PM
don't be to surprised if we all show up from PT at dinner time ;) :D
you sound like a terrific cook :)
Especially since he just broke it off with his girlfriend... :) Oh, Medusa! I can just imagine how thrilled you are to have him coming for a visit! This sounds weird, but please tell him someone he never met and probably never will has been praying for him and glad he is doing better.

Medusa
04-03-2008, 05:42 PM
This sounds weird, but please tell him someone he never met and probably never will has been praying for him and glad he is doing better.
It isn't weird at all! He knows I started a thread about his illness and I told him about all the prayers that were being offered up on his behalf. A friend of mine who is a nurse called me from her vacation in Hawaii to see how he was doing, too, and he was so pleased to hear that people care. He told me that he learned who his real friends are through this ordeal. I will definitely give him your message. And thank you.

catfamily
04-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Hope he doesn't mind if all his REAL friends show up for dinner. :D :p
Don't worry...we'll ALL set the table...do ALL the dishes and help assist you in the kitchen :eek: ;)

shepgirl
04-03-2008, 08:33 PM
I've been keeping my eye on all of your posts and was so happy reading these today. All's well that ends well. You must feel so much lighter with that heavy load you've been carrying, now that everything is back to normal. I'm sure your son will coninue to be well and you can have a lovely visit.

Medusa
04-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Hope he doesn't mind if all his REAL friends show up for dinner. :D :p
Don't worry...we'll ALL set the table...do ALL the dishes and help assist you in the kitchen :eek: ;)
You got yourself a deal, girlie. :p

dukedogsmom
04-03-2008, 08:54 PM
I've been bad and haven't checked in in a long time. I'm so glad he's doing much better. And I know you're excited for his visit! I hope you both have a happy time. Sorry his girlfriend was such a disappointment. Guess she never wants a real relationship, then. At least he found out about her true character. Maybe he'll find the right one, one day.

Medusa
04-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Hey All,

Mom gave me the word that many of you were asking about me and my health when I was having a rough go of it in Jan/Feb...happy to report I'm 100% fine now after two hospitals, nine doctors, a dozen tests, and two specialists. Thank you for all your kind words and concern and responses to any questions Mom had during that stressful time. As a comedian, many say, "You'll probably get a lot of material out of it", but honestly, nothing funny about acute viral myocitis. I can laugh about the rigamarole the hospitals and medical community put me through NOW, but the illness itself was no fun. But thanks again for keeping a lookout.

Glenn

moosmom
04-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Glenn,

Glad to see you're 100%. I am very fond of your Mom and was a little worried about her when you were going through such a traumatic time. I'm so glad you're doing better.

catfamily
04-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Glenn,So happy your doing great!
What a relief.
Life has so many chapters for us to face.
Glad this chapter of yours is over.
Stay well....And wishing you much happiness and fortune in the comedian business :)

Oh...and PLEASE...don't ever scare your poor mom ever again like that ;)

phesina
04-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Glenn, we were all praying for you and pulling with you ... AND your mom.. as you went through this.

Your mom is a wonderful lady who loves you very much. It is so good to know that both of you have had such a wonderful outcome from all this.

Pat and cats

Catty1
04-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Glenn - so glad to hear from you and to hear that you are WELL now.

And remind your mom that because you wrote a note to everyone, that you get to have the homemade spaghetti sauce! (she joked you wouldn't if you didn't write! :D What's a mom for, huh? ;) )

I had sent your mom a message about comedian Irwin Barker, who was diagnosed last year with cancer (on his birthday, yet). Well, his first concert after a rough couple months of chemo turned out to be the LAST concert at that particular venue before it closed down for good...and he still had a bald head! Yes, there WAS material there!

In his opening, he remarked on the irony of the place being closed and him being the last performer...creative pauses and the odd word...."well, because I have cancer", he finished as he removed his hat.

STUNNED silence in the audience.

"WHOA!" he exclaimed. "TOUGH CROWD!"

They cracked up! And away they went! His motto is, "I don't tell jokes about my cancer, I tell jokes in SPITE of my cancer."

It can't be shared with all audiences of course...lol

http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/includes/listenerschoice.xml Place that link in your RSS reader or podcast program...he's not the first interview, but the whole show is pretty cool if you like interesting people.

Medusa
04-17-2008, 06:47 AM
Glenn - And remind your mom that because you wrote a note to everyone, that you get to have the homemade spaghetti sauce! (she joked you wouldn't if you didn't write! :D What's a mom for, huh? ;) )

He got his spaghetti for dinner last night. What a coinkydinky. :)