PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new betta baby

3muttsandaboston
01-31-2008, 12:05 AM
This will be my 6th. Someone on a fish forum I just joined offered to mail her to me for the price of shipping. I am thinking of breeding her with my betta comet.

Here is Comet..
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd51/Lindseyscrits/DSCF4257.jpg

The little girl i'm getting...Her name is Karma and I think i'll keep it.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj232/JadedAngel815/bettas058.jpg

BC_MoM
01-31-2008, 01:06 AM
She's GORGEOUS! :)

bckrazy
01-31-2008, 03:38 AM
Awww, what a cutie! I love her coloring. She has a Cambodian/Butterfly/Irridescent thing going on. :3

Both of them are beautiful Bettas... but, personally, I wouldn't breed Veiltails. In the long run, it is just MUCH harder to find a home for a VT, because they are overflowing in pet stores everywhere. And, considering that the average Betta spawn produces at least 50 babies, that is a lot of homes to find.

In addition to that, the VT gene is super dominant. If you spawn a VT and a Halfmoon, you will get all VTs. There is no real "goal" with breeding VTs. It would take several generations to breed quality tail types out of VTs. Your first spawn is the most expensive, and it will cost you at the veryyy least $100-200, so I think it's worth it to invest in a show quality (or near) pair. That way, you might even be able to break even, after selling the beebs! You would pretty much have to give away Veiltails, not that they aren't pretty, but they are all in all the "mutts" of the Betta world.

Ok, I'm done.

Husky_mom
01-31-2008, 11:37 AM
OMG what a cutie!!....

have you seen binka_nuggets bettas??... ask her to show them to you.... perhaps even get one from her..... let me warn you drop dead gorgeous!!

binka_nugget
01-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Very cute, but ditto everything bckrazy said :)

OMG what a cutie!!....

have you seen binka_nuggets bettas??... ask her to show them to you.... perhaps even get one from her..... let me warn you drop dead gorgeous!!
I'm down to one single petsmart Crowntail now :( Most of my babies got ich and died after I started using a non-hikari brand of bloodworms. The ones who survived were always weak and didn't live very long in adulthood. :( My adults eventually passed as they got older. The local breeder and fish store I got my fish from stopped breeding so the only option now is to order online.. but if I'm not breeding, that's A LOT of money to spend on pet bettas. :eek:

Husky_mom
02-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Very cute, but ditto everything bckrazy said :)

I'm down to one single petsmart Crowntail now :( Most of my babies got ich and died after I started using a non-hikari brand of bloodworms. The ones who survived were always weak and didn't live very long in adulthood. :( My adults eventually passed as they got older. The local breeder and fish store I got my fish from stopped breeding so the only option now is to order online.. but if I'm not breeding, that's A LOT of money to spend on pet bettas. :eek:

:( :( how sad!!.... I was so looking forward to one time get one from you.... when possible....

they really were gorgeous!!...could you email me some pics so I can use as wallpaper??

sorry to hijack :p ....

bckrazy
02-02-2008, 03:04 AM

Aww, Ashleyyy. I'm so sorry. =,(

I had a die-off of my two FAVORITE breeding pairs, who were all in a divided 10g. They all died within a few days of each other, mysteriously. One of the pairs were siblings of the turquoise BF spawn, and what bums me out the most is that I can't continue that line. The other pair was my yellow & green BF DT Plakats, I was also about to breed them.

I got really discouraged after losing those four... but I had another small spawn over the summer, and I'm about to spawn 2 siblings from that, for the Northern California show in May. Sometimes you just need a break. Bettas have such fragile lives, and it sounds lame, but they can break your heart.

If you're interested in copper marble Plakats this summer, you know I would send you some, for free. C: That is, if I ever figure out how to go about deporting/importing fish.

3muttsandaboston
02-04-2008, 07:39 PM
She is going to send me another. He is a copper marble halfmoon plakat! If I can find a female that matches him good enough I will probably try to breed him.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj232/JadedAngel815/newfishies008.jpg

binka_nugget
02-04-2008, 07:50 PM
What a beautiful Plakat! :D And a HM too! If you're really serious about breeding, I encourage you to check out aquabid.com You'd be able to find plenty of hmpk girls for your boy! :)

:( :( how sad!!.... I was so looking forward to one time get one from you.... when possible....

they really were gorgeous!!...could you email me some pics so I can use as wallpaper??

sorry to hijack :p ....

I'll see if I still have some photos.. I forgot to backup tons of photos when I reinstalled windows. *smacks head*

Aww, Ashleyyy. I'm so sorry. =,(

I had a die-off of my two FAVORITE breeding pairs, who were all in a divided 10g. They all died within a few days of each other, mysteriously. One of the pairs were siblings of the turquoise BF spawn, and what bums me out the most is that I can't continue that line. The other pair was my yellow & green BF DT Plakats, I was also about to breed them.

I got really discouraged after losing those four... but I had another small spawn over the summer, and I'm about to spawn 2 siblings from that, for the Northern California show in May. Sometimes you just need a break. Bettas have such fragile lives, and it sounds lame, but they can break your heart.

If you're interested in copper marble Plakats this summer, you know I would send you some, for free. C: That is, if I ever figure out how to go about deporting/importing fish.

Aw! That sucks! I ended up with a pair of siblings from your first spawn. They were SO gorgeous! I wanted to breed them -- I tried every trick in the book, neither seemed interested in mating. :( I think I got them a little later in life though, which is probably why. I remember your yellow & green BF DT PKs too! Probably one of my faaaavorite pairs I'd ever seen! Such a shame :(

You're right. I probably just need a hiatus. It's really emotionally draining losing so many bettas in a short time frame.

(Sorry to hijack your thread! :p)

3muttsandaboston
02-04-2008, 11:35 PM
I don't mind at all! I'm so sorry that you lost so many bettas. I have been on the lookout for females on aquabid for him. I'll probably purchase one in the next month or so. Yeah he is a hm pk I cannot wait to get them I feel like a kid waiting for christmas to come. :D

bckrazy
02-05-2008, 05:01 AM
Wow! He is GAWJUS! His copper is very nice, it's super purpley, with minimal redwash. C: He reminds me of the boy I'm spawning now, Lionel. Except he has a BF pattern along with the marble. He is in the "love shack" right now with his sister, Dhonda. Here's a video of them getting acquainted, earlier. Don't mind the music or the dancing... we left them alone right after that, I swear. We were just setting the mood.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg226/wegotanairshow/bettas/th_MOV01012.jpg (http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg226/wegotanairshow/bettas/?action=view&current=MOV01012.flv)

You know... if you need a copper PK girl, I kept several girls from my last spawn, just because they got along so well and I got attached. I would be willing to ship you one or two if you'd like. : D I have a SUPER cute copper marble girl, she is near HM, and her branching is niicee. They are 5 months old and very eggy. I can send you pictures of the girls, and their parents, if you're interested.

Aw! That sucks! I ended up with a pair of siblings from your first spawn. They were SO gorgeous! I wanted to breed them -- I tried every trick in the book, neither seemed interested in mating. :( I think I got them a little later in life though, which is probably why. I remember your yellow & green BF DT PKs too! Probably one of my faaaavorite pairs I'd ever seen! Such a shame :(

You're right. I probably just need a hiatus. It's really emotionally draining losing so many bettas in a short time frame.

I remember when you got a couple of my babies... I'm sorry they didn't spawn for you. D: I got a spawn from two of them, but I ended up with only a dozen or so juveniles, and I sold all but one because I was going to try again with the pair. I wish I would have kept a few to keep the line going.

Gahhhh! I miss my Guava & Melon! =,( Guava was definitely one of my favorite Bettas. They are little fish, but they are all so unique and special, it's hard not to get attached! My friend (in the video above) used to think fish were gross, and swore she would never have a Betta. I gave her Dhonda, and now she understands why I love them so.

3muttsandaboston
02-05-2008, 09:34 AM
I asked her where I could find a good female to breed him with and she said she might send his sibling since she had no plans to breed her. :eek:

bckrazy
02-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Hurrah! I hope she sends you a nice girl to spawn him with. ; )

3muttsandaboston
02-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Here is the girl i'm getting! It's kind of a bad picture.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2380/2251071612_2fe50f7e15.jpg