PDA

View Full Version : A question for Glacier

cassiesmom
01-30-2008, 01:27 PM
It's miserable outside, -48C, today.

Glacier, what do your dogs do when it is that cold? Do you bring everyone inside? It is 9F (-12C) in Chicago today, but it doesn't feel quite that cold because there isn't too much wind and it's a bright sunny day. I can't imagine how cold -48C must feel.

Could you give some hugs for me, please!

Glacier
01-30-2008, 02:51 PM
The huskies handle that kind of cold much better than humans! Mac is currently trying to find someone to play chase and wrestle with him! Heyoka is sunning his belly! It's always clear and sunny when it's this cold.

There are insulated dog houses everywhere that are filled with straw. I put out another full bale of straw a couple days ago.

Food rations double in extreme cold. They get snacks throughout the day of high fat stuff, except Earle and Paxil who can't have fat. They get way more baited water too. Ozzy and Anvik are allowed to eat as much as they want in the cold. They are both hard keepers and get dangerously skinny really fast.

They rotate through the house and the shop all day. The shop is heated too. Most of them sleep inside at night. I had 19 in the house last night and a few more in the shop. Delta and Deuce were outside, by their own choice. Deuce has never voluntarily come inside. Delta was bedded down and wouldn't come out of his house. I bought another crate a couple days ago for Goldie.

I'm waiting for a locksmith right now cuz the back door to the shop, aka the gate to Kayleigh's pen, is broken. Brass doorknobs don't like -48C(-56F)! Climbing Kayleigh's fence is the only way into her pen right now and that's not much fun! Although I think she's highly amused by watching me do it!

It's supposed to warm up to -25C(-13F) by Monday. That will feel like a heatwave! Until then our highs are around -40, which is the same in both scales.

caseysmom
01-30-2008, 02:54 PM
I figure the dogs are built for that my question is what the heck do you do? You have some good thermals or what?

What is baited water? I am figuring it has fish something in it???

Cinder & Smoke
01-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Most of them sleep inside at night.
I had 19 in the house last night and a few more in the shop.

OMG! --- 19 Dawg inna HOUSE??

I'll bet da KATS were just beside themselves jumping for joy (NOT)! :eek:

And to think that I once thought 'FIVE anna KAT' was a "CROWD"! ---
NINETEEN would be like sleeping with a MOB!

... the back door to the shop, aka the gate to Kayleigh's pen, is broken.
Climbing Kayleigh's fence is the only way into her pen right now and that's not much fun!
Although I think she's highly amused by watching me do it!

Kayleigh: Tickets, please! Grab you seats - the Show's about to begin!
. . First Act: Mom climbs over the fence ... Will she MAKE it?

:D

caseysmom
01-30-2008, 03:27 PM
I can't imagine that kind of cold, we are having a supposed cold snap here at 32 degrees and some doors at some school froze shut.

WELOVESPUPPIES
01-30-2008, 03:31 PM
OMGosh that is freaking cold, all these negatives, my bunch would never make it LOL. Duke and Champ would be like, hey where is our inside potty box!!?? We had temps a couple of weeks ago where it was 19 F in the morning and I think the high that day was 30 F something. I guess I should think of you guys way a north before I start complaining about those temperatures.

cassiesmom
01-30-2008, 03:34 PM
I had 19 in the house last night and a few more in the shop.
Glacier, you are a WONDERFUL MOM!!

pitc9
01-30-2008, 03:45 PM

Oh.. how I wish Kayleigh could take snappies of THAT!!

Glacier
01-30-2008, 04:23 PM
I figure the dogs are built for that my question is what the heck do you do? You have some good thermals or what?

What is baited water? I am figuring it has fish something in it???

Baited water is just water with something tasty in it. It ensures the dogs drink before the water freezes! Sometimes it's fish or meat, drippings from a roast or chicken. Today it's Ol' Roy Meaty Gravy food! I'd never feed it to them as a regular diet, but a few cups of it in five gallons of water isn't going to hurt them and they love it. We call it Ol' Roy Puppy Crack--no one ever refuses that junk!

I have awesome winter gear and lots of it. My favorite pants for the cold are US Army Flight pants, bought from a surplus dealer. They are lovely army green, heavy and none too flattering, but I have never been cold in them! Helly Hanson makes base layers that can't be beat. Couple of those top and bottom, army pants, sweater and a down filled jacket and I'm toasty.

I have a pair of mitts that were handmade for me by a First Nations lady. Super warm and beautiful beadwork on them. They look ridiculous with my ugly pants, but I have warm hands. I wear a fleece face mask and top it either with my husky fur hat(spun from my dogs' fur) or a fleece lined nylon hat with ear flaps.

The trick is to get enough layers that you are warm, but not so many that you start to sweat. Sweat is deadly in these temps!

Glacier
01-30-2008, 04:29 PM
OMG! --- 19 Dawg inna HOUSE??

I'll bet da KATS were just beside themselves jumping for joy (NOT)! :eek:

And to think that I once thought 'FIVE anna KAT' was a "CROWD"! ---
NINETEEN would be like sleeping with a MOB!

The cats are pretty used to the dogs. Felicia hides for a bit. Once they all find their spots it's not that bad really. The ones who bug the cats are crated or confined to cat free zones. Plus it helps keep me warm! Who need an electric blanket when you have a husky or five on your bed!

The show is over--The Father in Law showed up and fixed the door. Well, it opens anyway. The door knob is done and will need to be replaced when it warms up. For now he put on a hook and eye latch so at least I can get to Kayleigh and she can defrost inside the shop! We built her pen there specifically so she could have indoor access. (Kayleigh hates all the dogs and hunts anything smaller than her so having her in the house is very tricky!)

Freedom
01-30-2008, 07:39 PM
The temperatures; the dogs; the cats; the dogs who don't get along with the cats and have to be in certain places; the dogs who don't get along withanything and have to be in certain places; feedings and extra feedings in the cold weather; baited water; having to bundle up in 16 layers before you even start any of it;medications and special foods for this one and that one but NOT the other one . . . . your life is quite different, and I don't mean sledding with huskies! Wow. Bless you, Tamara, the pets up there really needed someone like you in their area.

cassiesmom
01-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Who need an electric blanket when you have a husky or five on your bed!

O-Kay! I'll get my air bed and be right there! Seriously, I think I would find their presence really comforting. Sometimes I wake up in the night to find Cassie sleeping near me ... I like when she chooses to do that. And I totally agree with everything that Freedom wrote!

joycenalex
01-31-2008, 09:00 PM
..'k i have another question...angel duke snored, LOUDLY. the wonder dog snores, princess pretty paws peanut passes gas, loudly. how noisy is it when your dogs sleep in your house. and the "i gotta go out right now biped" noise of one dog is impossible to sleep through, how do you get them outta the door into the yard in the am? and where does muskwa sleep?

Glacier
01-31-2008, 09:55 PM
..'k i have another question...angel duke snored, LOUDLY. the wonder dog snores, princess pretty paws peanut passes gas, loudly. how noisy is it when your dogs sleep in your house. and the "i gotta go out right now biped" noise of one dog is impossible to sleep through, how do you get them outta the door into the yard in the am? and where does muskwa sleep?

It's actually quite quiet once they all settle into their spots. There are usually 10-12 inside, even in the summer. They aren't allowed to wander the house all night. They end up confined or outside if they won't settle down. Occasionally some of them snore a bit, but not too bad. Sleet giggles in her sleep, at least that's what it sounds like.

They wake me up usually by whining. Bandit rings the cowbell on the door handle when he needs out. Tehya starts to kick her crate wall! I usually get up fairly quickly. Stuart can sleep through all of it!

Getting them back to the right spots can be tricky. Have to remember who's where and who gets along, which can be a little foggy in the early morning! Heyoka is in the big yard overnight( he won't stay in for more than an hour). He isn't allowed near Tehya. So I have to bring him in the porch before she can go out. He is not always cooperative with that plan! For most of them I can just open the door and go back to bed. Pacer can't be left out there unsupervised(he gets beat up). So I wait for him to do his business and he comes back inside til I get up. Goldie has to be leashed and walked back to her pen. Always fun at -40 and 5am!

Muskwa sleeps beside the bed on Stuart's side. Occasionally he comes up on the bed, but he never stays for long.

joycenalex
01-31-2008, 10:17 PM
when alex was on the potassium bromide in high doses, he drank lots of water=2/3 trips out at night. i was tired, but your and their routine is sooo much more challenging. giggles huh? nice to know she's happy

Sparklecoon
02-01-2008, 08:40 AM
I'm NEVER aloud to whine about the routine I have to have with my four ever again!

cassiesmom
02-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Okay, Glacier - I have another question for you. (answers are $1 apiece after the first question, right? :D )

Anyway, near my house there is a feed store. They carry Iams and Science Diet pet products, bunny kibble, bird seed, that sort of thing... in the spring they have several types of grass seeds ... plus a small selection of bird feeders and yard decorations. They sell a pet-safe melting compound that's popular with everyone in the neighborhood who has a dog.

They have a new sign today: MUSHER'S SECRET PAW WAX. What is paw wax? (They carry udder balm in the green tin, too, even though there's probably not a cow around for miles - they stock it for everyone like me who swears by it for hands and feet and can't find it anywhere else!)

Glacier
02-01-2008, 04:19 PM
They have a new sign today: MUSHER'S SECRET PAW WAX. What is paw wax?

It's basically just like Bag Balm. It's a thick waxy cream that you put on the dog's paws before they out in the snow. It protects the pads a bit and prevents snow build-up. Mushers use it to prevent snowballs while the dogs are working. I find cheap ol' Vaseline works just as well!

Cinder & Smoke
02-01-2008, 04:33 PM
It's a thick waxy cream that you put on the dog's paws before they out in the snow.

Mushers use it to prevent snowballs while the dogs are working.

And they Leave it Alone on their paws?? :confused:

Even though Bipp & Bopp have had snowballs and ice buildups between their pads
requiring dear ole Dad to "hold paws" to warm them up -
I'd imagine their reaction to Paw Wax or Vaseline would be something like >>>

:eek:
What's this goo that Dad smeared on our feets?
Then we'd have a 30 minute sit-down strike whilst they >>>
<lick> <Lick> <LICK> <Licked> every trace of it off each paw!

:rolleyes:

Glacier
02-01-2008, 07:03 PM
And they Leave it Alone on their paws?? :confused:

Mostly, I usually wait to put on til they are in harness and almost ready to go. That way they are focused on getting to run and don't really care about what I've just done to their paws!

Cinder & Smoke
02-01-2008, 08:59 PM
... they are focused ...

Ohhhhhhhh ...

FOCUSED?? ... Ya gotta be kidding! :rolleyes:

That sure leaves Bipp & Bopp out of the loop ...
"focused" would be considered a foreigh term to them. :p

They'd be *focused* on <LICKIN> Paw #1 whilst I was trying to pick up Paw #2 ...

Too bad they don't build POCKETS into their Fur Coats!

gini
02-02-2008, 12:18 PM
What a great read this thread is - thanks for asking all of the questions - and Glacier - for answering them.

I would hate to be a dumb burglar that tried to get into your house at night - what a surprise!!

Glacier
02-02-2008, 05:28 PM
I would hate to be a dumb burglar that tried to get into your house at night - what a surprise!!

LOL! They've stood Stuart down a couple times when he's come home unexpectedly. He came in late one night in a big coat, heavy boots and a hat. Chum stood over top of me and made the most menancing sounds I've ever heard from that dog. I wouldn't have pushed him. A couple others went behind him and just stared. Freaky! They didn't relax until he had taken off all his winter gear and talked to them. Chum took a long time to let his guard back down. I don't worry much about my physical safety when Stuart is away!

cassiesmom
03-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Glacier, is this a play bow? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202007/teymilo5.jpg
They both look so content, and Milo's position looks a little like a cat stretch.

Glacier
03-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Yup, pretty much. Milo was trying to get Tehya to get up and play with him again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/bowing.jpg
This Raven playbowing at me. She wants to play "Get Raven"...I chase her, she runs in circles. Really, it's fun!

ramanth
03-06-2008, 07:07 PM
So cute! That's Chipper's favorite game too. He play bows to me and wants me to chase him. :D

cyber-sibes
03-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Your threads are always amazing, I love reading about life with 24 (?is that right now) huskies! It's a wonder you have time for that pesky real job of yours! ;)

Glacier
03-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Your threads are always amazing, I love reading about life with 24 (?is that right now) huskies! It's a wonder you have time for that pesky real job of yours! ;)

Pirate is number 25.

I am lucky to have an extremely flexible job. My bosses are great and don't really care how I do my work or when, as long as it gets done. That's why I get to post from my office and got to change my schedule so I don't work on Mondays.

Cinder & Smoke
03-07-2008, 07:58 PM
I am lucky to have an extremely flexible job.

My bosses are great and don't really care how I do my work or when, as long as it gets done.
That's why I get to post from my office,
and got to change my schedule so I don't work on Mondays.

WOW! :D

That's more than "flexible" ... that's almost unBELIEVABLE! :)

Now, do they let you do all that AND *PAY* you, too?

Pray Tell - just what do you *DO* that comes with all these perks?

And - do you need an "assistant"?
I could keep your chair warm on Mondays. (And sharpen pencils Tuesday - Friday.)

;)

Grace
03-07-2008, 08:01 PM

I could keep your chair warm on Mondays.

;)

Wonderful idea! While Phred is warming Tamara's chair, she could teach Cinder and Smoke how to mush http://bestsmileys.com/dogs/1.gif

Glacier
03-07-2008, 09:06 PM

I could keep your chair warm on Mondays. (And sharpen pencils Tuesday - Friday.)

;)

LOL. I have an assistant who I don't think wants to give up her job! I do get her to do much more than sharpen pencils! She's a busy girl.

Yes, they pay me. Not nearly enough, but they pay me! I still work all full time hours. I'm just allowed to do it in 4 days instead of five. I work 8am to 6pm four days a week. There are actually very few people in my building who work a standard 9-5 day. Several come in at 6am and leave at 3 so they don't have to pay for after school care for their kids. Lots of people work an extra half hour a day and take one day every two weeks off. Some work part time at home and part time in the office.

I'm a vocational rehabiliation counsellor. I work with people who have suffered significant injuries at work and can never return to their jobs. Most of my clients have been so badly injured that they are off work for years; some will never be able to work in any form ever again. I co-ordinate and arrange for all their medical appointments, surgery, travel(not many health care options up here), and therapy ect. Once they are medically stable, I help them with retraining, education and finding new work.

Ginger's Mom
03-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Hey Glacier, do you think some of your clients could benefit from a little canine therapy? ;) It's funny, before you said what you actually do I was going to say that it sounds like the only thing that would make it better would be if you could take a dog to work with you. Ah yeah, but it would tough to decide who gets to go and who stays home. :D

Cinder & Smoke
03-07-2008, 09:39 PM
I have an assistant who I don't think wants to give up her job!
Oh, NUTZ! :(

I'm a Vocational Rehabilitation Counsellor.
I work with people who have suffered significant injuries at work and can never return to their jobs.
Most of my clients have been so badly injured that they are off work for years;
some will never be able to work in any form ever again.
I co-ordinate and arrange for all their medical appointments, surgery, travel
(not many health care options up here), and therapy, ect. Once they are medically stable,
I help them with retraining, education and finding new work.

wow!
Must be kinda rewarding at times - when you get someone successfully rehabbed;
but I'll bet there are some tuff cases that that are pretty rough to handle. :(

*ENJOY* your Monday OFF!
;)

Glacier
03-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Hey Glacier, do you think some of your clients could benefit from a little canine therapy? ;)

Not allowed in this job unfortunately. I used to be a child protection social worker and I often brought Earle with me when I was meeting with a kid. Even a kid who is suicidal, angry or just plain not gonna talk to any adult, couldn't resist Earle for long!

cassiesmom
03-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Glacier and sledders, it's 43 F (+6 C) in Chicago today, and sunny. Which got me wondering. How long into the spring can you go out, when does the season end? I know the dogs get summers off. Could you give some petting and/or hugs for me, please. I was just looking at photos of all the dog crew in the yard.

Hugs
Elyse

Glacier
03-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Glacier and sledders, it's 43 F (+6 C) in Chicago today, and sunny. Which got me wondering. How long into the spring can you go out, when does the season end? .

Hugs
Elyse

Usually til late April, although I start to avoid the lake/ice earlier in April. The way this season has gone, I'm tempted to call it right now. My mentor told me years ago to always end on a good run, even if you stop earlier or have to drive for hours to find enough snow. Our last run was great.

cassiesmom
03-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Oh, we aren't waiting for the test results. They will take ten days to get back here. I have to clean Muskwa's ear once a day, put anti-biotic drops in it twice a day and he's on a hefty dose of prednisone to help with the pain and inflammation.

Wow, I didn't know that dogs could get ear infections. Muskwa, I hope you feel much better soon! My nephew got a lot of ear infections when he was little. I have started getting them after bad colds (as an adult) and they are no fun.

Glacier
03-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Wow, I didn't know that dogs could get ear infections.

Ear infections are pretty common in dogs with floppy ears. I have friends with Goldens and Cocker Spaniels who have chronic ear problems. It's rare in a prick eared dog and even more rare for a dog with stand-up ears to have a massive infection like Muskwa's.

cassiesmom
03-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Glacier, how is Muskwa's ear doing? I hope he is much better.

I lifted this photo of Heyoka from your blog. Heyoka, clown who also teaches ... you are big, fluffy, very beautiful and I especially like your happy face and four feeties in this picture! Hug, hug, hug x25 for all the Glacier Doggers!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/blog%20pics/heydinner.jpg

Glacier
03-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Glacier, how is Muskwa's ear doing? I hope he is much better.

You must be psychic! I just got off the phone with the vet about Muskwa's ear. Dr. Jessica is away acting as the vet for a sled dog race that starts today. Our much loved, Dr. Candace, is back from maternity leave, so she has taken over Muskwa's file

The culture results are back from Vancouver and he has several kinds of bacteria growing in his ear. Fortunately, none of them are the antibiotic resistant kind. Muskwa is better than he was, but not great. His ear is still red and obviously uncomfortable. He's still holding his head cocked to the right and just not himself--not playing, cranky, clingy and lethargic. So he's starting an oral anti-biotic on top of the ear drop ones and an anti-inflammatory too. That should make him feel better very quickly. If he's not dramatically better by Monday, he supposed to go back to the clinic.

I'll copy this into his ear thread...and I was just going to a post with the big version of Heyoka's pic(and some others!) That imaginary squirrel was great fun for the dogs last night!

finn's mom
03-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Glacier, you are absolutely an inspiration. Everything about your life and the way you live it is so rare and wonderful. You are probably the single person on Pet Talk that I try to read every one of your posts. Most definitely try to read all of your threads. haha, I sound like a stalker. :o I just find it remarkable how much you give of yourself, to the people and animals you work with. I'm grateful this thread was started, it's been a great read! Can you post a photo of your beaded mittens? :)

shepgirl
03-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Just finished reading all the posts and your life does indeed sound very interesting Glacier. It's nice to see the difference in the way we do things in different parts of the country.Very lovely posts everyone, made for some great reading, could almost see myself sharing your life Glacier.