PDA

View Full Version : ? on Petsmart

sammi
08-16-2002, 05:49 AM
Does Petsmart sell live Kittens & puppies? We don't have that store here but, I have been ordering from them on the internet. If they sell animals I don't want to give them my money!
I realise that this has been talked about b/4 but I just blanked it out because I thought I was ordering from Pawspective:confused: Thanks

sasvermont
08-16-2002, 05:57 AM
Petsmart takes in loaned animals from local shelters and tries to rehome them through their store. Each shelter still oversees the adoption process. These pets are not for sale, they are pets for adoption through the shelters. I volunteer at a shelter in my area and they sometimes take a few of their pets to Petsmart, for exposure to the public in hopes that they will be spotted and loved and then adopted...If they are not adopted they bring them back to the shelter. It is a really nice thing to do on Petsmart's behalf, and I suggest you continue to shop there. I don't know if all Petsmarts work the same way, but I would think they would. Just call the store and ask them!

:)

Pam
08-16-2002, 06:02 AM
That's the way it is here too. The cats/kittens are in my local PetsMart every day (on loan from local shelters) and on the weekends they have a puppy or dog or two (also brought there from the local shelters). They have adoption papers there to fill out when desiring to adopt, but I do believe, like SAS says, that it all must go through the shelter they came from.

DoggiesAreTheBest
08-16-2002, 06:24 AM
The shelter I volunteer with does mini adoptions at PetSmart as do other rescue groups I belong to. I am pretty certain that PetSmart doesn't sell dogs and cats. As a matter of fact, during the adoption there, our Local PetSmart donates the food the animals eat during the day, treats, toys, poop bags, etc... and even will do some grooming while we are there to spritz up the dogs. Also for each dog that it adopted, PetSmart donates some money to the shelter.

Logan
08-16-2002, 07:31 AM
I, too, admire Petsmart for staying out of the puppy mill and kitten business. Our local humane society has adoption days there every Saturday, and Sunday too, I think. They also open their doors once per month for Greyhound Rescue and our local Golden Retriever Rescue. I proudly give Petsmart as much business as possible. Plus I love the fact that my girls can go with me when I shop there! :D

Sudilar
08-16-2002, 09:27 AM
Our Petsmart also allows shelters to bring in their animals up for adoption. The shelters handle the adoption process. :):)

catland
08-16-2002, 11:05 AM
Same here on the west coast. Our local Petsmart has re-homed hundreds of animals from the local shelters- and from what I've seen, they are grown animals, and not the easier to place puppys and kittens. :p

NoahsMommy
08-16-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Sudilar
Our Petsmart also allows shelters to bring in their animals up for adoption. The shelters handle the adoption process. :):)

That's what they do here too. We've gotten Noel and Basil from Petsmart as rescues.

sammi
08-16-2002, 12:03 PM
Well glad I asked! Thanks for the help. I shall cont. to order with them and yes they do donate to a shelter depending on what you spend.

Cincy'sMom
08-16-2002, 04:17 PM
We have a Petco Same owners as Petsmart?) The Toledo Humane Society brings in their dogs Thursday-Sunday to try to find homes. PLanned Pethood, another local shelter also occasionaly uses this store ( it is interesting when they are both there!) I try to find an excuse almost every week to go visit one day when the shelter pups are there.

NoahsMommy
08-16-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
I try to find an excuse almost every week to go visit one day when the shelter pups are there.

Careful....that's how we got Noel....."just looking!" :D

pupper-lover
08-16-2002, 08:56 PM
Our Petsmart also has shelter and foster animals up for adoption on the weekends. In addition, Saturday is puppy vaccination day. Anyone can bring in their pup to get vaccines and a doctor's visit for only about $10. They also donate lots of stuff to our local shelters. At Christmas time, they brought a truckload of pupper and kitty food to our Humane Society.

I love our local Petsmart. :D

Nomilynn
08-16-2002, 10:43 PM
We have Petcetera.. I think it's either affiliated or is almost exactly the same as PetCo. They have a place called PAWS Adoption (they are a no-kill shelter that takes in over-filled shelter's animals) which is where I got Tilly :D :D

Songlover
08-17-2002, 09:11 AM
Sammi, I have just read your concerns re: Petsmart.
I have just moved from Toronto to Montreal. In Toronto Petsmart takes a very active part in trying to find homes for needy animals. As in the USA, they hold weekend sessions for animal shelters to come in with some pets and the shelter handles the adoptions. They are really doing a wonderful thing and serving the animals in the best way they can, i.e. trying to find them a "forever home". I do not know if there is Petsmart in Montreal, but if there is, they will be adhering to the same policy, I am sure. Judging by the tone of the responses to your concerns, it seems that Petsmart does not SELL animals, but is in the business of animal placement in connection with local shelters. Glad to read that you will continue to give them your business in the future; they are really OK!!! Regards from Deborah in Montreal, Canada.

krazyaboutkatz
08-17-2002, 10:45 PM
The Petsmart here also brings in cats and dogs for adoptions on the weekends. Some of the Petco's also do this. I got Pepper from Petco through an organization called Care. :)

Cincy'sMom
08-18-2002, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

Careful....that's how we got Noel....."just looking!" :D

ssh! I don't know if Ralph knows how many 3rd dogs we "almost" had. they only way I able to walk away is to had have Ralphand the girls with me, cause any new dog I would get would have to meet the whole family first :)

lovemymaltese
08-20-2002, 01:32 PM
The petsmart in my hometown has pets for adoption on Saturdays and Sundays but they only sell reptiles, fish, birds and rodents in the store.

NoahsMommy
08-20-2002, 04:20 PM
ssh! I don't know if Ralph knows how many 3rd dogs we "almost" had. they only way I able to walk away is to had have Ralph and the girls with me, cause any new dog I would get would have to meet the whole family first :)

I spoke too soon...that's also how we got Basil!! :) That is good the whole family is involved in the decision, that's important.

Daisylover
08-21-2002, 09:45 AM
The Petsmart in Ann Arbor sells bunnies, guinea pigs, mice, rats, fish and birds. They do let shelters come in with dogs and kittens also on weekends.

So they aren't as pure as a lilly. The rabbits are often removed from their mom at too early of an age. They do provide an instruction sheet which is good. However this spring our sanctuary was hit with an unusually high number of surrendered bunnies (30 in 6 weeks) as was the local hurmane society, so they are contributing to the homeless bunny problem. It seems to me if they are going to talk the talk, they need to walk the walk.

mugsy
08-21-2002, 08:34 PM
Hmmm...I'm sorry to hear about the bunny problem. I wonder what happened?? I assume that Petsmart was made aware of the problem....too bad they didn't listen. That's the first blemish I've heard of in their reputation. I'm sorry it had to be at the bunnies expense.

sujei
08-22-2002, 02:13 AM
the same is true for the petsmart in rochester, ny. they expose the cats/kittens/dogs/puppies to the public under the shelters watchfull eye. should someone wish to purchase these animals, they would have to contact the shelter of fill out adaoption papers with the shelter.

toughCookie
08-22-2002, 12:00 PM
the petsmart here is the same, Im sure they all are, and I think its great. also petco, do any of you have one of those where you live? heres the link to their website.

http://www.petco.com/

Dakota's Mommy
08-24-2002, 11:30 PM
My husband and I just took our Dane puppy to PetSmart today to get her a few things but I had no idea that they did so much in the communities to help out. That is just great that a store is so dedicated to the animals that they are willing to help like that, and not just working to earn a profit!

Dakota's Mommy
08-24-2002, 11:32 PM

ssh! I don't know if Ralph knows how many 3rd dogs we "almost" had. they only way I able to walk away is to had have Ralphand the girls with me, cause any new dog I would get would have to meet the whole family first :)

WHY does this not surprise me! You and mom really crack me up sometimes!

Cincy'sMom
08-25-2002, 08:37 AM
Hey I don't always almost bring one home...I went to Superpetz yesterday (where I NEVER) go to get a fish filter and Planned Pethood was there. I did really good. I only talked with on foster person. she had the sweetest black lab, but the poor thing was scared of everything. She was beat by her preivous owner and so nervous. If I shifted my weight when was petting her it would startle her. Poor baby!

toastco
08-25-2002, 07:51 PM
My daughter adopted a cat from Petsmart in Independence Mo. She lives near there. It was through the local shelter and as many of you have said here in Pet Talk, they bring animals from the shelters and find homes for them. They even have had pet baths for a donation to the animal shelter in my area of Independence Mo. Petsmart cares and do all they can to help animals find homes.
Mom of three dogs and six cats