PDA

View Full Version : Could he always be like this?

KittyCrazy
01-28-2008, 10:37 PM
We've had baby Ozzie now since Sat. afternoon and he still stays pretty much under the bed at all times. He'll let us reach under and pet him but he won't come out hardly at all. My kids are heart broken. They were all excited about our new little guy and now I'm wondering if some kitties will just always be like this and always want to hide? I sure hope not. He's so cute and I'd really like him to come out and enjoy his kittenhood and play with all the fun toys we have. :(

Purr-tender
01-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Don't give up on little Ozzie. Some kittens are just very shy. I have had a couple of my fosters that were so timid I didn't think that they would ever come around, but they did. My one little one came to me when he was about 5 weeks old. He was found in an old theatre all alone. He did well with my other foster kittens and their mama but would run and hide when he saw me. It took a lot of patience but after about a month he would let me hold him. Just let Ozzie feel safe and he should be ok. I know it is so hard when you and the kids want to love on him. Keep us posted on his progress.

rosethecopycat
01-29-2008, 07:40 AM
How old are your children? It is difficult for kids to understand why kitten hides and why they can't force him to play.
I would keep Ozzie in isolation, in a room, preferably without a bed or dresser to hide under. But do give him a 'safe place' to hide that you have easy access. A tupperware bin with a door cut into it works well. Put a soft blankie in it for him.

Right now, he doesn't trust anyone. It would be ideal if he only had contact with one person, for a couple weeks. Then you can gain his trust. IF he still won't come out, when you are the only person with him and the environment is quiet, slowly pick him up, while sitting on the floor (not standing up) and cuddle him against you chest for a few minutes. Use a wand toy for play, it keeps your body away from him, in case he is very scared.

Above all, make sure he is eating. Don't let 24 hrs go by without him eating.

PM me if you have any questions.

(I foster lots of kittens, and work with the scared ones)

He can and will change! But your children will have to learn a great lesson in patience!

loveallfurryfriends
01-29-2008, 07:57 AM
My RB boy, Mr. Kitty, used to do this whenever we moved. I was in college when we got him, so we moved around a little more than we do now. We had him for 10 yrs ( he was 2 or 3 when he first came to us). As soon as we would get to our new place (mom's house, new apt., etc...), he would immediately go into hiding. Usually under a bed, or the couch. When he was younger he would do it for about a week or two, only coming out for food or to go potty. I think sometimes he just need to get his bearings, and feel his way around his new place. He was an extremely active and well adjusted cat, he just need a little extra time to get adjusted! So please don't give up on your kitty. Just and let him know that he is safe and loved, and before you know it he will be out and about!!

catmandu
01-29-2008, 06:08 PM
WHEN I FIRST ADOPTED JOHN HANCOCK, MIQUELITO, POUNCIERGE AND
ALMOND ROCCA BATON ANGEL WERE ALL INCREDIBLY SHY.
JUST BE CALM, AND LOVING AND WE BET OZZIE WILL BE COMING TO YOU IN NO TIME AT ALL, AS LONG AS YOU LET HIM DO THIS IN HIS OWN TIME.
:cool: :cool: :cool: