PDA

View Full Version : BraveHeart - PRAYERS needed, GREAT update Feb 6.

jenluckenbach
01-28-2008, 01:51 PM
For those who missed this thread.... http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=1963795#post1963795 Here is one of my newest fosters.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Foster%20kitties/BraveHeart/BraveHeart1-28-08.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Foster%20kitties/BraveHeart/BraveHeart-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Foster%20kitties/BraveHeart/Braveheart-4.jpg

Laura's Babies
01-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Ohhhh! I got LES when seeing him! He is SO handsome!!! Poor baby!! Such a pretty baby and so in need of some good loving and a great home.. Wow! Wow! Wow! NOW he is even more special to me!!! Oh man! I would hold that baby and never put him down! He is SO lucky to be in your careful, experienced hands!!

cassiesmom
01-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Oh, my goodness! What a beautiful kitty! He looks like he has his "mad" face on in the first photo, though. I think Himalayan cats are so pretty. Braveheart, I hope you get through your medical care with no problems!

Freedom
01-28-2008, 02:52 PM
OMG look at that face! all white with the black face and ear tips. Ooh, **swoon** how gorgeous. Yup, he does look like he has a "mad face" on, but heck, those Hims don't like changes, from what I've heard lol! Once he learns he will still get fed, he will be OK. :D

orangemm
01-28-2008, 04:01 PM
What a gorgeous boy he is! I love Himalayans and he is no exception! How is he settling in at your place? He is a lucky cat!

jenluckenbach
01-28-2008, 04:29 PM
I only have a short update. The vet kept BraveHeart. She said his teeth are SO bad that he probably hasn't eaten "FOR A WHILE!". :eek:

He actually lost over a pound in the last 3 days (according to his weight at the shelter's vet on Jan 23 and his weight today!)

The problem will be making it through the anesthesia. Not even due to his heart murmur, but because of his dilapidated condition. BUT if we did not pull the teeth today, he would not eat and could not be force fed due to the pain in his mouth. :( (a catch 22)

So pray for him to be strong enough to make it.

catmandu
01-28-2008, 04:58 PM
What a big handsome Cat, and we pray that his dental goes all right, and that hes back home with you very soon , Jen.
And that somewhere there a Furr Ever Home in his future.

aki
01-28-2008, 05:00 PM
awwwwwww i love his catitude face! LOL!

sending up prayers that, that beautiful boy will be ok

aki

Grace
01-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Many prayers heading east for Braveheart.

Medusa
01-28-2008, 06:12 PM
This handsome boy has got to pull through. We're sending out lots of prayers that Braveheart will be just fine.....

Catty1
01-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Major PT Prayers for Braveheart!

I know the vet will do her best...will be as easy on the anesthetic as possible.

Hopes and more prayers!

Freedom
01-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Oh dear, the poor thing must be in pain if he can't even eat! I pray that the vets can find a way to make him comfortable and to do the work needed to let him recover!

Donnaj4962
01-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Many prayers for sweet widdle Braveheart! Stay strong young man!

lizbud
01-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Braveheart is a beautiful cat. Prayers for a successful recovery from
this procedure. Who knows how long he must have suffered with this.
Poor boy. :(

jenluckenbach
01-28-2008, 07:19 PM
He made it!!!! He is a little fighter! He lost most of his teeth, but should start to thrive now. He will get fluids and be force fed and a pharmacy of meds for a week or so.

phesina
01-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Many prayers and loving wishes and healing energies are being sent to dear BraveHeart from us, that he gets through the dental work all right and begins to regain his health.

Jen, I just saw your newest message saying he made it! I am so very very glad. We all are continuing to send the prayers and everything.

Love to you, brave-hearted boy, rest easy and feel better soon.

Purrs and hugs,
Peony, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, Pat, and Priscilla Angel

DJFyrewolf36
01-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Prayers on the way for Braveharts continued recovery. Bless you and 1 by 1 for helping this sweet boy!

Laura's Babies
01-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Phew!! Thank GOD!!!!!!! Come on now boy, you got life waiting for you and a bunch of friends pulling for you to boot. Now, lets start eating and put that weight back on and fatten up to the beauty you are. You get well soon and eat like a piggie!

rg_girlca
01-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Oh Jen, prayers on the way that his handsome boy makes it through the surgery and will back home to you very soon.

Braveheart is absolutely drop dead GORGEOUS!

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} for the worried foster mom.

EDIT; I'm so happy to read that he made it Jen. Prayers still on the way that he has a full and speedy recovery and I know he will thrive in your care.

columbine
01-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Huzzah for BraveHeart! Huzzah for Jen! :)

Love, Columbine (child of the 60s who always falls for the long-haired fellas)

Karen
01-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Oh, good! Oh how I wish I could snuggle him, Himmies are just soft pillows of fluff! I used to babysit for a family that raised and showed himmies, and "Boo" was usually in my lap. The one time I forgot to take my allergy meds before heading over was misery, as Boo did NOT understand why I didn't want him constantly in my face! When he is home, could you give him a good snuggle for me?

rosethecopycat
01-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Good for Braveheart! May you enjoy many yummy meals, and grow big and strong!

KittyCrazy
01-28-2008, 10:47 PM
How do you force feed a cat? Will he be able to chew food on his own when he recovers. Poor guy. I hope he has a fast recovery and a long, spoiled life!

krazyaboutkatz
01-29-2008, 12:05 AM
I'm so glad to hear that he made through his dental surgery.:) He sure is a very handsome boy. Now lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. I hope he makes a quick and full recovery and that he starts gaining some weight back.:)

orangemm
01-29-2008, 04:51 AM
Way to go, BraveHeart!! No wonder he had "that" look on his face. Poor boy probably was in agony.

Prayers that he starts to eat and gets strong and healthy.

(gentle smooches for you, sweet boy)

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-29-2008, 05:08 AM
WOW !! That is such great news, Jen!!!

jenluckenbach
01-29-2008, 06:02 AM
Feeding went a little better today :). But because his tummy can only take a little at a time, I will take BraveHeart to work with me and feed him every couple of hours.

He was an angel to give fluids to! :) but I think as he feels better he'll start asserting his likes and dislikes. (LOL)

I was unsure how hard or easy he would be to pill, and he has 3 medicines.....SOOOOOO...... I opened up the casule medicine and placed the other 2 pills inside so I only had to make sure he ate ONE pill! (thank heavens the other pills were very small) it worked! :)

I can't wait for him to start filling out.

rosethecopycat
01-29-2008, 07:31 AM
How do you force feed a cat?

A syringe (no needle) is used. A soft pea soup mixture of cat food and calorie supplement is common to help them gain weight and get their appetite back.

Cats can eat without teeth, you just have to give them foods they can swallow.

Barbara
01-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Glad to hear he made it through dental surgery :)
And Braveheart (that's a great name for him ;)) will be so happy when he can eat on his own again.

Laura's Babies
01-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Came back to check on him this morning. How is he doing this morning?

loveallfurryfriends
01-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Sending many prayers and good vibes to you, sweet Braveheart :)

jenluckenbach
01-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Sorry for the late update....been a little busy.

BraveHeart is doing well. Doesn't take the force feeding as well as Mr Meow did, but we are getting there. I can't wit until he eats onhis own, though.

I did a little creative grooming on him, since his large luxurious mane kept getting full of that "lovely" pea-soup food of his. :rolleyes:

He is pretty good for eveything....giving pills, sub-Q fluids, grooming etc.

I say he has a real good chance of thriving now. :D

orangemm
01-29-2008, 04:06 PM
I'd say he has a GREAT chance of thriving with your tender care!

Give that boy some gentle scritches from me, please.

Catty1
01-29-2008, 10:13 PM
YAAY! Gentle hugs to that dear boy.

I wonder if his face will look a little less 'mad' when he heals? He must have been hurting something fierce.

ALL the teeth had to come out? kb2yx's Raven has been toothless for over 10 years, and just eats like a horse. :)

Looking forward to seeing this handsome boy bloom in your care!

krazyaboutkatz
01-30-2008, 01:01 AM
Jen, I'm so glad to hear that he's doing well. I'm sure he'll continue to thrive with your wonderful care.:)

pitc9
01-30-2008, 07:07 AM
Glad to hear the great update!!!

loveallfurryfriends
01-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Glad to hear he is feeling a little better :)

jenluckenbach
01-31-2008, 06:55 PM
He hasn't eaten on his own, yet, but I sure wish he would. He does drink water on his own, so nowI am trying to trick him. :p I took the mixture I use in the syringe and mixed it in his water bowl so it is the consistence of water. The nutrients will be diluted, but at least he will get some every time he drinks, assuming that he does not refuse to drink it). I also placed a dry cat food that has a nice small kibble in a bowl and covered with water. He might drink that water, or maybe he'll eat the kibble once it is soft. He hasn't licked any baby food or other soft food yet. :(

He is difficult to give sub-Q fluids to, because of his thin skin (over bones) the needle passes right through and out again and most of the time I can't see it (until a flood occurs) because of his long coat. :( So I end up sticking him mutiple time just to get the needle positioned. :( I feel so bad for him.

He is perked up a little. When I get home from work with him, he'll come out of his carrier and walk right up and onto the window perch.

So........we keep trying.

phesina
01-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Awwwwww... poor boy. Please give him some little gentle pets and kisses from me.

I can tell he is making small steps of improvement. He is recovering from massive trauma of all sorts, so he'll venture forward slowly, I'm sure. That is great that he is already going right up to the window perch. He's found something he likes that he gets up and goes to!

Beautiful, Jen; thank you.

Love, purrs, and hugs,
Poppy, Peony, Sydney, Elmer, Pat, and Priscilla Angel

Catty1
01-31-2008, 08:36 PM
Awww...poor dear boy...

Would he eat some wet food mixed with a bit of warm water while his gums are healing?

Prayers for Braveheart, and gentle scritchies for him :)

Freedom
02-01-2008, 08:03 AM
I feel so bad for him.

My Marlin had 38 teeth extracted in September. While I didn't have to force feed him, he didn't eat much except soft food for several weeks. It takes time for the gums to heal and toughen up. He didn't eat at ALL for 5 days and had to have fluids to prevent dehydrating; but he had enough 'fat' that we just kept up with that and he started the soft foods before it got to needing a force feed. I know what you mean, feeling so badly for them. I was alsmost in tears seeing Marlin so sad and miserable those 5 days!

So yes, just keep trying, Braveheart is healing daily and will come around. PRayers for both of you.

Barbara
02-01-2008, 01:09 PM
I am so sorry for Braveheart who lives up to his name - actually I think you would deserve the same name for taking care of the sweet boy.

catfamily
02-01-2008, 02:14 PM
My booboo had all his teeth out and he did so well after it.
I am so happy he got most his out thanks to you.
I wish i could take him in.I'd love to have him.
I wish I had the plane fare to do it.
Anyone talking him?
9 years old is not old and he would need someone that doesn't mind gooming him daily.even fingers going through his fur after getting to know him doing this daily helps the skin breath better and helps it not get too clumped w/tangles.

kb2yjx
02-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Jen!! I am catching up and just read about BraveHeart!!! Our Raven was not in great shape when she had her teeth pulled. BUT she was much younger than BraveHeart!! PRAYERS coming for dear BraveHeart!!!

momtomany
02-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Woo Hoo way to go Braveheart. You just made a lot of Pet Talkers very happy. We will keep the prayers going up for Braveheart, so appropriately named, to have a speedy recovery.

slick
02-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Hey Jen:
Has that handsome boy eaten on his own yet??

jenluckenbach
02-01-2008, 07:57 PM
NO, the stubborn kid!! :p But soon, I can feel it. ;)

pitc9
02-02-2008, 07:52 AM
NO, the stubborn kid!! :p But soon, I can feel it. ;)

Come on BraveHeart... be a good boy and start eating on your own now! :D

smokey the elder
02-02-2008, 07:53 AM
You might want to try deli turkey! Come on, pretty boy, eat your food.

catfamily
02-02-2008, 08:15 AM
or baby food chicken broth/gravy.
mine can't get enough of that if i get it for a treat...or upset tummy.
the vet told me it's good for tummy upsets for a few days.

jenluckenbach
02-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Still wont eat. :( But he did produce his first poop since he's been here.

cassiesmom
02-02-2008, 08:37 PM
BraveHeart, sweety, please try to eat something on your own... I'm rooting for you!

catfamily
02-02-2008, 09:35 PM
that's getting a little scary,him not eating yet jen..will he lick food?You must be frantic.did the vet give him antibiotics after the surgery.sometimes they do that.but not always needed.
geez...maybe the vet needs to look in his mouth again,see if there's something else.
do you think he may be giving up?something from his past.missing his original owner.
I'm so sorry for him and you worrying so much for him :(

Catty1
02-02-2008, 10:21 PM
So...he won't eat wet OR dry on his own?

I know Mr Meow took quite a while before he ate.

What is it with your fluffy fosters and food? ;)

Maybe the poop will stimulate his appetite, now that all systems are working.

Prayers for beautiful Braveheart!

columbine
02-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Come on, little Braveheart! Just taste some yummy food, just to see what it's like...

Love, Columbine

jenluckenbach
02-04-2008, 08:24 PM
This cat will NOT eat (deja vous of Mr Meow??). :(

He had blood drawn today to check his kidney levels and T4. I highly doubt they are better (yet). :(

In the last week he lost 1 ounce. And sine he took a rather large diarrhea dump right before we left for the vet's, I will say that he is holding his own. now he just needs to GAIN!

I will be upping his force feedings (intake) now that I feel thathis tummy can handle larger portions. Hopeflly this will help.

But through the giving of pills, the suq-Q fluids (both twice a day) and the force feeding at least 4 times a day, I must admit....he is a real good sport. :)

COME ON BraveHeart! We all want you to thrive.

Will post test results when I get them.

Catty1
02-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Trying to remember what finally got Mr Meow to eat...I think one day he just felt well enough and away he went???

Braveheart is older, and sicker...so it might take him a little longer. Glad he is a good sport though! :)

(And just how is Meow-Man anyway? ;) )

Medusa
02-05-2008, 10:17 AM
We'll keep up the prayers for Braveheart that he'll improve....

GILL
02-05-2008, 01:04 PM
The crew (all 8) are pulling for you Braveheart

jenluckenbach
02-05-2008, 03:24 PM
BraveHeart's blood work is not promissing. :( I spoke to the "other" vet who believes, if he hasn't improved with what we've been doing so far, that he may not improve. :( I will call my "regular" vet for a second opinion, when she is back in the office tomorrow.

(It is not that I don't trust vet #1, but I just want that 2nd opinion) Vet #1 is the one who operated on Mr Meow and has him on this new drug......so we know he's good, since Mr Meow is doing fantastically!

So, we may be maing a very sad decision in BraveHeart's near future. :(

catfamily
02-05-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm so sorry Jen.You always go the limit on helping so many homeless cats...and giving them your own home and love until they get better to find a perminate home.plus so much money on vet bills as well.
i hope he gets a full recovery...but if not..he is getting the love necessary before he goes.i really hope he makes it.i really am praying hard on this poor little guy. :(
Braveheart...please,get better,you are loved so much,by so many,especially your foster mommy.

Catty1
02-05-2008, 05:35 PM
OH no...PT Prayers for Braveheart! I hope your regular vet has another idea...and with a little more time, your boy will turn the corner.

HUGS and MORE prayers for Braveheart!

Jen - does he respond to affection? Does he at least know he is loved?

Bless you for all you do...

jenluckenbach
02-05-2008, 05:44 PM
His favorite thing is a good chin scritchie! :) (needless to say, he get those all the time) I have been cradling him on my lap to feed him. I rub the top of his beautiful head and tell him how wonderful he is.

I am not giving up, yet, but I need to find out if his kidneys even have a chance at recovery. :(

kb2yjx
02-05-2008, 05:46 PM
O Jen!!! I REALLY REALLY Pray that Braveheart can turn around!!! Give lots of
"good head scritches" from ALL the Clan Cats!!!!!!

phesina
02-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Prayers for brave BraveHeart..

krazyaboutkatz
02-06-2008, 12:10 AM
I sure hope that there's something that will be able to help him improve. I'll continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

jenluckenbach
02-06-2008, 06:21 AM
HE ATE!

BraveHeart ate the canned food I left for him overnight, AND ate canned food given to him this morning.

Amazing! :) :) :) WOO HOO!!!!!

kittycats_delight
02-06-2008, 06:44 AM
My heart sank when I read the update on the last page then I read your last post Jen and I smiled from ear to ear. You have such a wonderful affect on this ill kitties. I think they know how much you are fighting for them and that makes them want to fight harder. I hope and pray Braveheart proves the tests and the vet wrong and gets well. If all he needed was love and a strong fighting will he will definately get that where he is now. And the PT prayers won't hurt either.

(((HUGS))) to you and chin scritchies from me to Braveheart.
Michelle

columbine
02-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Huzzah for Jen! Huzzah for BraveHeart! Good kitty! :)

Love, Columbine

GILL
02-06-2008, 08:56 AM
GREAT NEWS, we are still pulling and praying.

Donnaj4962
02-06-2008, 09:13 AM
Wonderful news! Keep up the good work Braveheart!

Catty1
02-06-2008, 10:36 AM
WOOHOOO!!!!

Then he is feeling better, I think...and maybe his kidney levels will be better as well...HUGS!

These stubborn fluffy boys with their food! :D

GREAT news!

catfamily
02-06-2008, 11:20 AM
On the road to a Wonderful happy life with A Pain Free mouth!
Keep it up Braveheart :)

krazyaboutkatz
02-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the great update.:) This is wonderful news!!!:D I hope he'll continue to do well from now on.

rosethecopycat
02-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Joy!

Keep it up Braveheart, everyone is pulling for you.

Queen of Poop
02-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Wonderful news that he's started eating on his own. All that tender loving care you've provided worked!!! YA HOO!!!

jenluckenbach
02-06-2008, 03:11 PM
We will be starting him on thyroid medication to help up his levels. Hopefully this will make him feel even better.

Force feeding, will continue until he eats VERY well on his own. (because he really needs to gain weight)

I TOLD BraveHeart last night about all the people who love him and are praying for him and who want him to LIVE! I told him how he could not leave until Laura returns from work. I told him he is the best and deserves the best......I guess he listened. ;)

orangemm
02-06-2008, 03:56 PM
He's a very lucky boy to be with you, Jen. You have a way of working miracles with these difficult little ones. Bless you for doing this!

Braveheart Sweetie, you are doing so well! Keep up the good work and keep on eating a LOT for your foster meowmie and so you will get better soon!

phesina
02-06-2008, 05:59 PM
What great news! FANTASTIC!!!!! Keep up the good work, sweet boy!

Prayers are still being said..

Love, purrs, and hugs to BraveHeart and Jen.

Peony, Poppy, Sydney, Elmer, Pat, and Priscilla Angel

jenluckenbach
02-06-2008, 06:49 PM
The vet office just called to say the lab FORGOT to run the kidney value test. So they will do so, and I should get a report tomorrow.

So We don't know yet exactly how his kidneys compare to the last test.

(dumb lab)

Catty1
02-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Is his 'mad face' softening? Or is that just how dear BraveHeart looks? :)

kb2yjx
02-07-2008, 07:54 AM
I have to start checking the threads!! I miss all the GOOD news!!! Jen!!! This is GREAT news!!!! I knew if there was anyone who could get a cat to eat, it was YOU(and ALL the PTer's prayers. What a COMBO that cannot be beat!!). Will continue to send prayers for you both!!! YEA!!!!

jenluckenbach
02-07-2008, 08:03 PM
The saga continues on a new thread (appologies to those members who hate when a new thread is made)

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=1970375#post1970375