PDA

View Full Version : Ever Wonder What Happened To Vick's Dogs

lizbud
01-27-2008, 12:28 PM
They are a big cause for celebrating the true nature of dogs. They are
also debunking some long held myths on fighting dog's rehabilitation. I wish
all those whos only thought is to put them down could read what can be
accomplished by individual evaluation & caring people. :)

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/01/27/vick.dogs.ap/index.html?eref=ib_topstories#cnnSTCText

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/01/27/vick.dogs.ap/index.html?eref=ib_topstories#cnnSTCVideo

Catty1
01-27-2008, 01:23 PM
A lot are at Best Friends in Utah. Have a peek at their site - bestfriends.org :)

CathyBogart
01-28-2008, 12:43 PM
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/vick/

Be sure to watch all three of the videos on this site, ten of Vick's dogs are in Oakland, CA, in foster care. :)

cassiesmom
01-28-2008, 12:55 PM
I got my BSN from Valparaiso :) ... This is from the South Bend Tribune. I heard on the news that there were 48 dogs, and all of them except one went to rescue programs. (One had to be pts but I don't know why) I like the statement at the end where they refer potential adopters to local shelters.

Valparaiso law professor discusses role as dog guardian in Vick case
Pit bulls now in care of rescue organizations.

By MARGARET FOSMOE

Tribune Staff Writer

Rebecca J. Huss met individually with each of 47 pit bulls seized during the Michael Vick dog-fighting investigation.

She’s petted them, interacted with them and knows their names.

"None of them were human-aggressive. I handled all of them and felt comfortable doing so," said Huss, a professor at Valparaiso University School of Law, during a telephone interview today.

The Indiana woman served as a court-appointed guardian/special master for the dogs confiscated on Vick’s property. It was her task to study the dogs, consult with pit bull experts and make a recommendation to the court about the dogs’ future.

Huss specializes in the study of animal law, devoting her energy to researching and writing on that topic. She was recommended to the court by animal welfare professionals familiar with her work.

Vick, the suspended star quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons, was sentenced in December to 23 months in federal prison for the dog-fighting operation on his property in Virginia. Three co-defendants also have been sentenced to prison terms.

The assignment took much of Huss’ time from last fall until today, when the last co-defendant in the case was sentenced. Today was the first time Huss spoke publicly about her role.

The dogs were cared for in Virginia-area animal shelters during the fall and early winter. More recently, based on Huss’ recommendation to the court, the dogs were transferred to the care of eight animal rescue organizations across the country.

"Many of them eventually could be adopted out to members of the public," Huss said in a telephone interview. Each agency will use it own formal procedures to determine which dogs are adoptable and when they are ready for placement. Each dog will have to show it is not a danger to public safety before being adopted by a family.

Some of the dogs may require lifetime care by the organizations.

Some of the animals had scarring indicating they had been involved in fights. Others were wary and untrusting of humans, Huss said.

All the dogs have had microchips implanted, and each will be spayed or neutered.

None of the rescue agencies caring for the dogs is based in the Midwest. If anyone in this area is interested in adopting a pet in need of a loving family, Huss recommends that they visit their local animal shelter.

lizbud
01-28-2008, 04:25 PM
I found out that the one female was pts. The dog had been used as
a breeder dog & also a fighter. They say they think this female had "just
had enough of people" as the man explained. I believe she lost all hope
in humans. :(

Isn't it great to see the pups in a normal family setting. :)