PDA

View Full Version : Take the breed matchup quiz!

Suki Wingy
01-27-2008, 10:38 AM
http://dogtime.com/find-dog

According to Dogtime.com, this fall my best matches as far as breeds go are
1. Ibizan Hound (even though I checked I wanted an off-leash dog)
2. Doberman
3. Rottweiler
4. Lab
5. Greyhound
http://dogtime.com/matchup/results

If I get another dog within the next few years, I'd like a pit bull type or a dal, but I'm open!

Rachel
01-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Papillon
French Bulldog
Coton De Tulear
Bichon Frise
Shih Tzu

I've always liked the French Bulldogs but after seeing Martha Stewart's Francesca on her show the other day, I have my doubts on how bright they might be.

Strangely, the cockapoo came in 33 and cocker spaniel at 36

Chilli
01-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Niiice, I received matches with dogs that typically have higher prey drives. I always veer away from dogs who have a higher chance of their prey drive kicking in. I would rather have a dog that would just avoid or tolerate ferrets and such.

1. Harrier
2. Tibetan Terrier
3. Plott
4. Welsh Springer Spaniel
5. English Foxhound

I'll stick to mutts. :D I never plan on an actual breed to get. For me, its a trip to an adoption center to look at the older ones (I'm not fond of puppies...) to see which one "clicks" and has a history that would best fit my lifestyle. And of course, the compatibility with other animals in the family.

jennielynn1970
01-27-2008, 11:04 AM
This was kind of interesting. I answered it as though I didn't just get Woody, and put in exactly what I'd be looking for.... and these were my results (and they are basically all dogs I'd love to have).

1. Basset Hound
2. Bullmastiff
3. Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
4. Bernese Mountain Dog
5. Lhasa Apso (eh... too fluffy!)

GiantSchnauzer
01-27-2008, 11:12 AM
1. Flat-Coated Retriever
2. Labrador Retriever
3. Golden Retriever
4. Vizla
5. Curly-Coated Retriever

:confused:
I can't see myself owning any of these breeds.

Giants and Cairns for me. :D

cali
01-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Black and tan coonhound
Airdale Terrier
Weimariner
Chesapeake bay Retriever
Rottweiler

I cant see myself owning a single one of these lol. on the other hand Tollers were rated as number 6 lol. oddly Border Collies were listed under "NOT reccomended" and I will NEVER be without BCs. I clicked the why buttonand its said because I would walk them schedual permitting..there ARE other ways to exersize a BC, actually a walk is a pretty usless for of exersize to a BC lol

Mycavyangels
01-27-2008, 12:10 PM
i got

1)Flat coated retriever
2)Field spaniel
3)Labrador retriever
4)Portuguese water dog
5)Golden retriever

:)

BC_MoM
01-27-2008, 12:23 PM
I don't think this thing is very accurate, LOL...

1) Portuguese Water Dog
2) Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
3) Field Spaniel
4) English Cocker Spaniel
5) Labrador Retriever

Miss Z
01-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Golden Retriever
Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
Irish Water Spaniel
Labrador Retriever
Great Dane

:D

Grace
01-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Interesting -

French Bulldog
Shih Tzu
Japanese Chin
Basset Hound
Italian Greyhound

If we ever got another dog, it would be one of the Heinz 57 variety rather than breed specific.

I wonder what a mixture of these 5 would be llike??

Flatcoatluver
01-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Black and tan coonhound
Airdale Terrier
German Shepherd Dog
Weimariner
Australian cattle dog

I would never own any of thease breeds. :p Great dogs, but def not for me!

Jessika
01-27-2008, 01:53 PM
I forgot to save my choices, but I do remember seeing that AUstralian Shepherds were on my "not recommended" list. Oops! :P

lute
01-27-2008, 02:15 PM
I love my results!

1. Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
2. Great Dane...well,duh! :D
3. Golden Retriever
4. Collie
5. Rottie

Ginger's Mom
01-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Pretty interesting.

1. Shih tzu
2. Brussels Griffon
3. Norfolk Terrier
4. Sealyham Terrier
5. Miniature Schnauzer

I wouldn't mind having a Miniature Schnauzer, that was actually my sister's first dog, and he was a wonderful little guy. I don't know anything about a Sealyham Terrier, but this may make me do some research into the breed.

American Eskimo Dog was on my not recommended list. When I asked why it said because I intended to leave the dog alone all day while I am at work, and that is not a good situation for an Eskie. I have to agree with them, it really isn't the best situation for a high energy Eskie, but my little girl is an angel. :)

k9krazee
01-27-2008, 02:24 PM
My number one was the Wheaton terrier. Funny thing is, I've been considering getting one in a few years. Jack Russells and Rottweilers were on the not recommended list. Oh well.

Sparklecoon
01-27-2008, 02:48 PM
1.) Lab
2.) Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
3.) Flat-Coated Retriever
4.) Scottish Deerhound
5.) Golden Retriever

Not too bad. I have an Irish Wolfhound (which was poor because I only wanted an ocassional jogging buddy) which is slightly close to the deerhound. I grew up with Goldens and have had lab mixes. I've always loved GSMD.

More interestingly they said Cockers were not recommended because I wanted a large dog and I wanted the ocassional jogging companion. Hmm I guess the two I have will need to find a new home. JK!

kittycats_delight
01-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Rottweiler
Bullmastiff
Akita
Boxer
American Pit Bull Terrier

not recommended

Affenpinscher
Alaskan Malamute
Australian Terrier
Bichon Frise
Chihuahua

3GSDMom
01-27-2008, 03:02 PM
1. Airedale Terrier
2. Australian Cattle Dog
3. Black and Tan Coonhound
4. Weimaraner
5. Dalmatian

huh, guess I chose the wrong breed. Better go trade Travis in. :p

Out of those five, the only one I'd consider owning is a Weim. I think I'll stick to my GSDs though ;)

krazyaboutkatz
01-27-2008, 04:39 PM
I just took this test for fun because I don't see myself adopting a dog any time soon. Here are my top 5:
1. Shih Tzu
2. Lhasa Apso
3. Norfolk Terrier
4. Basset Hound
5. Boston Terrier
One question they forgot ask was if I already had other pets. I currently have 6 cats.;)

Scooter's Mom
01-27-2008, 05:17 PM
1. Brussels Griffon
2. Shih Tzu (Good thing, since I have 2!)
3. Norfolk Terrier
4. Dachshund
5. Boston Terrier

Danegirl2208
01-27-2008, 07:40 PM
1. Labrador Retriever
2. Harrier
3. Doberman Pinscher
4. Vizsla
5. Manchester Terrier

Only dog I would own from that list is the Doberman Pinscher (which is one of my favorite breeds), really have no interest in the others.. It was fun to take anyways :)

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-27-2008, 08:04 PM
My results are...

Irish Wolfhound
Ibizan Hound
Bernese Mountain Dog
Great Dane
Bullmastiff

I love all the above breeds, especially Danes and Irish Wolfhounds.

bckrazy
01-27-2008, 08:52 PM
1. Harrier
2. Labrador Retriever
3. English Springer Spaniel
4. Golden Retriever
5. Beagle

Wow... WTH? D: 2 of these breeds are both my LEAST favorite of all time. Plus, Goldendoodle, Labradoodle, Goldador, Maltipoo, etc were on the "breed" list. And it says I am unsuited for a Corgi. I am not a fan of this test.

Giselle
01-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Plus, Goldendoodle, Labradoodle, Goldador, Maltipoo, etc were on the "breed" list.
I was JUST going to post that!

I find it a little ridiculous that they recommended a "Peekapoo" to me, but Pekingese were on the Not Recommended list. Anywho, I got Black and Tan Coonhound as my first. Then, Briard, GWP, Lab, GSP. Weird.

I think what's wrong with almost all of these breed matchups is that they're very one-sided and rather slanted. But, what can ya do? That's about as far as a survey or quiz can really get.

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Mine was pretty accurate, but not totally:

1. Flat-Coated Retriever (nice dogs, but not quite my breed)
2. Border Collie (I'd love to have one someday)
3. Doberman (good choice... can see myself having a couple more)
4. Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever (will definitely have plenty more!)
5. Airedale Terrier (no thanks... definitely not for me at all)

Overall I don't think any of the breed matching tests I've taken were ever 100% accurate, and I've definitely seen better ones than this.

edit: after those ones I had a lot of mutts listed too... I didn't like that at all.

cali
01-27-2008, 09:13 PM
lol I also had a lot of mutts on my list, I have labradoodle, and yorkiepoo and Cockapoo...

sammy101
01-27-2008, 09:34 PM
1. Labrador Retriever
2. Otterhound
3. Golden Retriever
4. Vizsla
5. Flat-Coated Retriever

luvofallhorses
01-27-2008, 09:50 PM
I would never have guessed these breeds :p

Scottish Deerhound
Greyhound
Greater swiss mountain dog
borzoi
afghan hound.

:p

Reachoutrescue
01-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Bullmasiff
Irish Wolfhound
Great Dane
Labrador Retriever
Curly Coated Retriever

I have always wanted a Great Dane, but didn't think I had the room for one...hmm. Maybe when we get our building that will be my next baby!! I really like the Bullmastiff too!! I am kind of upset that I did not see American Pitbull Terrier or Staffs on any of the lists.

Giselle
01-27-2008, 10:30 PM
I would never have guessed these breeds :p

Scottish Deerhound
Greyhound
Greater swiss mountain dog
borzoi
afghan hound.

:p
HAHA! Did you say you liked a dog that wouldn't need constant training and not-very-high intelligence? ;)

Just kidding. I love my sighthounds!!

Twisterdog
01-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Hmmmmm ....

1. French Bulldog - which I DO actually think are adorable and wouldn't mind owning someday

2. Bichon Frise - which I do not understand at all, since I said I didn't want to give haircuts. LOL I can't honestly see myself ever owning a "furry" dog, I groom MORE than enough of other people's dog all day.

3. Coton de Tulear - ditto the Bichon comment

4. Papillion - ditto the French Bulldog comment, I think Papillions are cuties

5. Pug - I would never own a pug. Just not my style

The breeds I currently own were listed:

25. Fox Terrier

29. Jack Russell Terrier

And the breeds I would consider owning in the future were listed:

19. Italian Greyhound

35. Whippet

68. Bull Terrier

IRescue452
01-27-2008, 11:33 PM
Golden Retriever
Labrador Retriever
Irish Setter
Visla
Flat-coat Retriever

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww (sorry to those who own these) and those aren't LARGE dogs. If I had my choice between one of these breeds or no dog at all, I'd pick not having a dog. Maybe after a few years dog-free I'd choose the setter or the golden retriever, maybe.

I don't restrict myself to the American Kennel Club breeds either. They had goldendoodles, labradoodles, and cockapoos in the results, why?

I'd like: Bergamasco, Komondor, Otterhound, Spinone, Griffon Fauve

Oh and I am allergic to dogs, but only breeds like german shepherds and huskys really bother me so I put no.

bckrazy
01-28-2008, 02:12 AM
If I had my choice between one of these breeds or no dog at all, I'd pick not having a dog.

That is honestly how I feel about my top 5, too. On every other test I've taken... Border Collies and Corgis have always been up there. I don't understand how most of us got unfavorable results? And it seems like this test pushes Golden Retrievers & Labs like no other! I love Goldens and Labs, but they are absolutely not the breeds for me. It looks like MOST of the people who took the test were recommended Goldens and Labs. I find it peculiar.

bckrazy
01-28-2008, 02:24 AM
I re-took it, because I was so bothered! haha. These are seriously my results (and note, that I said I prefer medium dogs):

1. Poodle
2. Labrador Retriever (surprise!)
3. Harrier (WTH? I have never even seen a Harrier in person. I thought they were pack/hunting dogs?)
4. Vizsla
5. Doberman Pinscher
6. Goldendoodle
7. Goldador
8. Labradoodle
9. Golden Retriever
10. Puggle

I... just... don't know. How does Puggle even FIT into that list, not that any "DD" does, but come on? I am also wary of the question: "Are you willing to teach your dog to walk off leash?". Um, well, I would teach my dog off-leash Obedience, yes... but would I take a dog on a walk around the neighborhood sans leash? Hell to the no.

Jessika
01-28-2008, 02:40 AM
bckrazy I too wondered what significance the leash question even had on determing your "breed compatibility". Why does it matter?

anna_66
01-28-2008, 07:14 AM
My top 5 recommended

Basset Hound
Bullmastiff
Bernese Mountain Dog
Great Pyrenees
Great Swiss Mountain Dog

Chow comes up at #9 on my list, Mastiff #23 and Husky isn't even on it:eek:

I never thought about owning a Basset Hound although they are cute. I wouldn't mind owning any of my top 5, I like them all...quite a lot actually!

Crikit
01-28-2008, 07:40 AM
My top five were:

Greyhound (would consider owning one at some point in time)
Ibizan hound (it was a toss up between and ibizan and a pharoah when I got Kizmit)
Rhodesian Ridgeback (not really a breed I'm interested in.)
GSP (nope don't want one of those. I know to many that have wierd little quriks that I wouldn't want to live with)
Great Dane (although I like looking at them I wouldn't want to live with one)

I looked at some of the dogs that weren't suggested for me and the only reason Papillion and IG weren't suggested was because I put that I would want a jogging companion...since when can't toy breeds jog a little?

pitc9
01-28-2008, 12:05 PM
My top 5:
1 - Lab
2 - Bloodhound
3 - Greater Swiss Mtn. Dog
4 - Golden
5 - Otterhound

I'm fine with all the above (Especially the swissie!!! :D )

GSD was #65 on my "Next best matches" :D

Pawsitive Thinking
01-29-2008, 09:50 AM
My best match was a Basset Hound

"here Woody" :D