PDA

View Full Version : Got a new kitten today...Need Advice!

KittyCrazy
01-26-2008, 09:20 PM
I did it! I finally got a 2nd kitty! I'm so excited!

He's 8 weeks old and his name is Ozzie. :) I brought him home about Noon today and we are keeping him in my son's bedroom for the 1st few days to a week so he and Molly can become acquainted through the door first. Well, Ozzie went straight for under my son's bed and he won't come out. :( I can reach in and pet him but don't want to force him to come out if he's scared. He has a littler box in one corner of the room and food and water in the opposite corner....he hasn't come out to use any of them. Should I be worried or just let him come out and explore when he's ready? It's been 9+ hours that he's been under there.

Karen
01-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Don't worry at all. This is completely normal. He'll come out when he's ready, or hungry enough!

KittyCrazy
01-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Really? Ok, thanks. I got Molly when she was 8 weeks old and she was Miss Congeniality from the moment we got her out of the cat carrier so I thought maybe something was wrong with this little guy.

Poor baby....I'm sure it's got to be scary being taken away from all of your brothers and sisters and mom all of a sudden and brought to a new place with all new smells. I hope he adjusts quickly!

Freedom
01-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Let him proceed at his own pace. When you go in to 'visit,' be sure to smell nice == food or treats in hand!!! Even if he doesn't take them from you, or if he is too nervous to eat in front of you just yet, it helps to build the bond!

Laura's Babies
01-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Also, go in there often and talk to him. Don't try to force yourself on him you just want him use to your voice. Talk soothing sweet things to him. He will get use to you, it will just take time... Don't try to force it!

KittyCrazy
01-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the advice! I didn't even think to offer him a couple of pieces of food where he is. I have been going in about once every hour to talk to him and he does nuzzle his head into my hand when I reach in to gently rub his neck. :) I'll keep reassuring him that he is safe and welcome here and let him come out on his own terms.

Is it likely that he'll be too afraid to come out to use the litterbox and then pee or poo under the bed? :( I sure hope not.

krazyaboutkatz
01-27-2008, 01:44 AM
Congrats on your new kitten!!!:) You've already been given some great advice. I've heard of some cats hiding under the bed for 3 weeks because they were so scared. Hopefully this won't be the case with him. I'm sure he'll be able to find the litter box and will use it but if you're worried about this then you may want to put it closer to the bed.

So will your son be sleeping in this room? If so then the kitten may be too scared to come out until he gets used to your son. Good luck and I look forward to seeing some pictures of him.:)

catnapper
01-27-2008, 06:59 AM
Congrats on your new baby. Let him come out at his own pace (which you've already heard) but I have also found that laser lights do wonders for shy kitties. They can't ignore the call to pounce on a bright red moving light :D It also helps you bond with him.

Medusa
01-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Yep, everyone has given you great advice. Just lie on the floor and coo to him under the bed. A soft tone of voice does wonders. If he advances to you, let him rub against you before you reach out to pet him. He'll come around. Can't wait to see pix! Congratulations! :)

KittyCrazy
01-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Great news! There's pee-pee and poo-poo in the litterbox this morning! :) It doesn't look like any of the food is gone so hopefully he'll try some eating/drinking today. We have a vet appt. tomorrow for him to be checked over so hopefully they'll say he's healthy and just needs time to adjust.

orangemm
01-27-2008, 03:04 PM
That IS good news! Don't worry; if he's hungry, he will eat. Just go slowly, let him make all the moves first. Poor little guy is scared, but that will pass in time. Thank you for taking him in.