PDA

View Full Version : I never thought I'd live to say this but...

moosmom
01-26-2008, 03:40 PM
I had my hair trimmed yesterday. I hadn't colored my hair in at least 3 months so when MJ cut my hair, all the coloring was gone. All that's left is grey!!!!! :( My best friend says it looks awesome on me. But I'm turning 55 next month and don't want to look any older than I already do. What do I do???

Any suggestions???

dukedogsmom
01-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Do what my SIL does. Have it reverse streaked. Just get your hairdresser to streak it with dark color. It comes out nicely. I need to get my hair done. I hate it when my grays show. Thankfully, there's not that many....yet.

Laura's Babies
01-26-2008, 04:36 PM
I am letting the sliver streaks show in mine. I quit coloring my hair at about your age and am letting nature color it for me.

moosmom
01-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Laura,

I kinda agree with you. It's not totally white, it looks like my hair is streaked. I'll give it a while then decide. Sucks to get older.

Karen
01-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Donna, think of it as "going Platinum!" My sister has been learning to call her grey stripes "platinum highlights" as in her very dark, almost black hair, even one strand shows up VERY well!

Some people look great with silvery hair, it depends on the person, and their coloring I think.

moosmom
01-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Karen,

Great idea!!!

jenluckenbach
01-26-2008, 07:16 PM
I for one LOVE grey hair. I love mine (there aren't TOO many, yet, but it won't matter when there IS!)

So just decide if YOU like it, that is all that matters.

carole
01-26-2008, 08:37 PM
yep Donna getting old is no fun eh? but if you like it the way it is , then leave it, i am sick of dying my hair, but i just can't let it grow grey yet, i have made a deal with myself to stop when i am 60, that's another ten years,lets see moneywise that works out to around three thousand dollars, hmm when you think of it like that, seems such a waste,but hey maybe i am just vain, but i am not ready for the allover grey yet, besides i think i am only like half way there according to the hairdresser.

I have had to change to a natural dye from the health shop, as i have found my scalp getting irritated too much from the other's i used, loreal was my preferred colour, i used to use clairol but found them not as good a product, and it was worth paying a bit extra, now i am paying even more for my new product, oh well such is life. :)

Catty1
01-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Getting older is MUCH preferable to the alternative. (as long as you have good health).

JMO ;)

slick
01-26-2008, 11:19 PM
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with grey hair. My hair is long and there is alot of grey in it. I've never coloured it and I love it just the way it is and I turn 56 this year.

Embrace your grey Donna. It's who you are. :)

catnapper
01-27-2008, 06:49 AM
Hey Donna, run with it!

I myself would like to let my silver show through but I'm only 35.... thats a bit different than letting your true color shine through at 55! LOL

smokey the elder
01-27-2008, 07:38 AM
My hair started going gray in my early 20s (genetic lotto!) I just tell people, "I EARNED these!" :D ;)

Pam
01-27-2008, 07:44 AM
I have been doing my hair for about 20 years now. I started when the first few grays appeared (I figured it was a better idea than plucking them out :p ). I don't really even know my natural color any more but, from spying on my roots in between touch-ups, I would say that I am probably about 25% gray at this point. I have toyed with the idea of letting it grow out but don't want to do it until I retire. I don't think the growing out process would look too terrific while going into a job everyday. :eek: :p

gemini9961
01-27-2008, 08:54 AM
I have noticeable grey hair and I'm only 26 and have had them for a few years. They definitely have a mind of their own and a wholen different texture than my non-grey hair. I sometimes pull them out but I think I am going to quit that. They add a bit of uniqueness to my brown hair. Point is....grey happens to the best of us, grey hair is better than no hair. :eek: :D

moosmom
01-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Getting older is MUCH preferable to the alternative

Candace, are you referring to a "dirt nap"?????? :p

Medusa
01-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Premature graying runs in my family. I had a lot of gray streaks in my hair at age 23 and my sister was totally gray at age 17. Unacceptable for both of us. It's a personal choice, obviously, but still being out there in the work force, I want to look as young as possible. It may be illegal to discriminate on the basis of age and they may never tell you that's the reason but it's done every day. And I feel younger when I look in the mirror and don't see those pesky reminders that my calendar keeps losing pages. Plus gray hair often becomes unmanageable, kinks a lot and causes the rest of the hair to look unruly. I have a friend who is 63 and has long gray hair and she looks to be 75. It's her choice and she's happy w/it so it's her friendship that I care about, not her hair. If you're pleased w/your hair and how it looks and how other people react to you, then you go, girl! :)

carole
01-27-2008, 02:54 PM
I totally agree with what you are saying here Medusa,if you are happy with it as is, then to heck with anyone else, if not then go buy a bottle,it's up to you entirely. :)

Twisterdog
01-27-2008, 11:55 PM
I refuse to dye my hair. I have dark brown hair, and one WHITE stripe, about an inch wide, in my bangs. I sometimes think I look like a skunk. LOL

But, actually, I like my stripe a lot. I get tons of complements on it, a lot of people (especially teenagers) think I bleached it that way on purpose and that I'm just the coolest! LOL!

I'm also getting quite a few random white hairs through the rest of my hair, too. I don't care. I earned them. I like to think of them as highlighting, for free.

My grandma and mother both have pure white hair. It's beautiful. People actually stop my mom in restaurants and stores to complement her on her beautiful hair. I am not at all worried about mine going all white eventually.

Medusa
01-28-2008, 07:39 AM
My Grandfather had gorgeous white hair, too; it looked like cotton. When I'm that age, no problem. Until then, not so much. :p

Cataholic
01-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Its only hair. And, yes, I have gray in mine. I just can't muster up the energy to care that much about it. There are so many other things I could do to be/feel/think younger, but, why? I am the age I am, and, my energies would be better spent on exercising 30 minutes a day, giving my heart- a vital organ- a chance to be younger.

No point in looking younger (if in fact one does look younger with certain hair colours) if I am not gonna be alive long enough to appreciate it.

carole
01-28-2008, 02:17 PM
It simply is a personal choice, some people really suit grey hair and look great, other's not so much, each to their own, it is not so much about looking younger to me, i just don't like it on me, i prefer dying it, but yes i will eventually let myself go grey.

Medusa
01-28-2008, 02:23 PM
The important thing, obviously, is to take care of the inner and outer person. Too much emphasis on either is imbalanced. We should do our best to look our best at all times and, if gray hair suits us, then so be it.

moosmom
01-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Actually, it doesn't look too bad. I know that some people who let their hair go grey have yellow in it. My hair doesn't. So, for the time being, it'll stay that way.

lizbud
01-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Actually, it doesn't look too bad. I know that some people who let their hair go grey have yellow in it. My hair doesn't. So, for the time being, it'll stay that way.

Good for you Donna. I'll bet it's great on you too. :) I didn't get gray
hair until my 40s and my daughter started to gray in her 20s. :rolleyes:

mruffruff
01-29-2008, 03:04 PM
I let my hair go gray simply because I am too lazy to keep up with coloring it. :rolleyes:

I DO use a shampoo to tone down the yellow. It's a generic bluing shampoo and conditioner that costs about $6 at Sally Beauty Supplies. It's lasted me about a year.

I tried to let it grow but it made me look older. So now I have it cut short, very short. No fussing in the morning :D

Do what you think is best for YOU! No one else has to look in the mirror.

Logan
01-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Amen, Mary!!

Frankly, for me, at 45, I'm not ready to be gray. I tried it. I looked washed out and tired. I am probably 95% gray at this point, my whole head, except for a little patch in the back, on the bottom. I've been going gray since I was about 30, I think. It is worth every dime I spend to brighten myself up. But I agree, to each his own. If you're happy with your hair, then that's all that matters!