PDA

View Full Version : Bend over and pick it up!

kuhio98
01-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Went to my local grocery store today. Over in produce, I noticed a bunch of green onions has fallen onto the floor. I stopped the cart, picked them up and put them back in place.

I was then surprised by 3 people who leaped towards me and thanked me. They were performing some experiment to see how many people would just walk on by. Turns out I was the 50th person. 49 people had walked past in the hour that it lay there!! They gave me a $50 bill towards my groceries. They said that when they started, they couldn't imagine that more than 3 or 4 people would just walk by.

After my heart calmed down, I got to thinking. Is this what it's come to? You have to reward people for doing the right thing? Something that they should be doing anyway?

Naturally, I took the money. :)

Pawsitive Thinking
01-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Make sure you treat yourself to something nice!!! The 49 who walked by just illustrate what a self-absorbed world this can be.

lizbud
01-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Interesting experiment. I would have picked it up too. I hate seeing
good food thrown away. I don't know whether it would change anyone's
habits, but it could help. :)

Laura's Babies
01-25-2008, 04:44 PM
I was in the grocery story just yesterday and saw a package on coconut on the floor and I stopped and picked it up. I always pick up things I see on the floor no matter where I am... It could be ME that slips and falls over it so I better!

Miss Z
01-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Wow, what a great way to be rewarded! It is sad, though, that people like you in society are rare.

caseysmom
01-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Maybe people thought it would be dirty and it shouldn't go back with the clean food???

Chilli
01-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Karma can be so great sometimes, eh?
Good job! I always tidy up things when I go to the store, too. Well, I guess its just a side-effect of growing up with a mum who always wants everything spotless... I'm not complaining, though. :)

Karen
01-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Good for you! I often do that in the produce section, as it is often difficult with some of the piles to get one or even three of something without causing an avalanche! I tell mysef it could have been dropped by someone whose knees no longer bend - or bend but then don't UNbend - and I am lucky that mine do!

Do you think I have too many elderly friends in my life?

DJFyrewolf36
01-26-2008, 04:02 AM
Good for you! I tend to pick things up if they drop anywhere...heck Im the type of person who will help someone pick up papers if they get blown away in the wind (I missed a bus that way lol but at least the lady didn't loose her paperwork!)

What a reward for doing the right thing!

sparks19
01-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Maybe people thought it would be dirty and it shouldn't go back with the clean food???

LOL that would be me... in my mind people wouldn't want me to pick up food off the floor and put it on top of some food they might want to buy... even though you wash it when you get home. So I don't know what I would do lol

BitsyNaceyDog
01-26-2008, 05:46 PM
I was a detailer in a grocery store in high school so things out of place especially bother me. I would have definitely picked them up. When I see a can of corn with the green beans I put it back with the corn. When I'm shopping in the evening and the store has just been detailed I'm always careful to pull things forward they way they were before I came along and took something.

A few weeks ago my husband was in line at Starbucks and an older lady came up to him and asked if she could by his coffee. He asked her why and she told him that earlier in the week when she was buying breakfast a stranger came up to her and asked her for a favor... she said sure. The Stranger asked if she would buy a cup of coffee for someone that week. The woman agreed and the stranger paid for her breakfast.