PDA

View Full Version : Pirate's vet appointment.....Happy Update #27

Glacier
01-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Pirate had her vet exam today with Dr. Rick. I specifically asked for him as he's the vet I trust most. There are four vets at the clinic now and I like them all, but Rick is my favorite.

The visit didn't start off terribly well as Pirate peed all over the scale in the lobby! :eek: The receptionist just laughed and said "bet that's what she's here about, isn't it!?" Then she peed on Rick's foot when he lifted her tail, but it can't be the first time that's happened to him! :eek: Somehow she still had plenty left for a urine sample!

The results of the urinalysis and blood work are very good. Her kidneys are concentrating properly. She doesn't have an infection, crystals or diabetes. Her blood work numbers are those of a younger dog. No sign of any problems with her major organs.

So it's safe to start medicating her! Rick agrees with me that she is past the point where Cosequin or other supplements are going to help her. In addition to the stiff hips, she has some spinal athritis which isn't uncommon and may be adding to her control issues. Anti-inflammatories will help with her back, her hips and her overall comfort level. She's starting on Metacam tonight.

She's also starting DES right away. Pirate's leakage is more severe than Sleet's and may be harder to get under control. We don't know how long it's been going on. It would have been easier to treat when it first occured. Sleet takes one pill once a week. Pirate is starting on one pill a day for a week and then weaned down, assuming it works. If it does and she starts to leak again after say 3 days without it, she'll get a pill every two days--one day before the leaking reoccurs, minimally once a week. If it doesn't work, there is another medication we can try or a combination of the two pills.

Most importantly, to me anyway as she has already wiggled into my heart, Rick agrees that Pirate is not ready to be euthanized; that she has options and can still have a good quality of life. :D :D :D

cassiesmom
01-24-2008, 04:56 PM
YAY that Pirate Lady got a good report from the doc and that her health is good. BOO that she's having bladder control problems. Fingers crossed that the DES will help. And also the Metacam for her arthritis. I'm thinking of the picture of her curled up on her blanket in a circle. Look, Pirate, what you and your mum did to my face today --> :D

gemini9961
01-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Excellent report, can't wait to hear how the meds work for her. You are right, she is not ready to go and her bloodwork shows that. Yay for Pirate and you too Tamara.

Grace
01-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Wonderful news!! I've been checking in almost every hour to find out about the visit. Prayers winging your way that the DES will work as well for Pirate as it has for Sleet.

Fantastic about the lab reports!! Looks like she's going to be around for a little while longer http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/March16th/treeswing.gif

CountryWolf07
01-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Sounds great! :)

Taz_Zoee
01-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Oh, this is wonderful!! :D :D I'm so glad the test results came back good. Now I will hope that the meds work for her so she won't have any more potty accidents. :)

Cinder & Smoke
01-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Her blood work numbers are those of a younger dog.
No sign of any problems with her major organs.

Anti-inflammatories will help with her back, her hips and her overall comfort level.
She's starting on Metacam tonight.

Pirate ... has options and can still have a good quality of life. :D :D :D

WOW!
THANKS, God!!!

Couple days of Metacam, and ole Pirate will be itchin to slip into Harness
and go for a Sled Run. ... Well, maybe a Sled WALK. ;)

Keep Feelin BETTER, Pirate!!

And a Big ATTA-GIRL to Tamara!! :)

chocolatepuppy
01-24-2008, 06:11 PM
That's great news! Hopefully the meds will help sweet Pirate and she'll be feeling so much better! :)

Freedom
01-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Keep Feelin BETTER, Pirate!!

And a Big ATTA-GIRL to Tamara!! :)

Oh yes! Such a good report, much better than you may have expected for a pup her age. Pirate, mom is going to try and get you feeling a bit better honey, and then you can REALLY show your stuff!

Had to laugh at all the pee episodes. "And then she still have enough left for a sample!" LOL Oh yeah, been there.

sasvermont
01-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Glacier, I have heard of an old, old drug called Brathancol, I think, that does wonders with urine control and spine issues. It worked wonders with a kitty I owned with spine damage......it is hard to come by, but it worked!

You are such a good doggie mommie! ((((((((((((((((Glacier))))))))))))))) :cool:

kimlovescats
01-24-2008, 06:45 PM
This is really wonderful news!!!!!!!! :D

Queen of Poop
01-24-2008, 06:50 PM
What wonderful news from the vet!! A few days on meds and Pirate might be a different girl, a feeling much better girl. Please give her a hug from me.

jennielynn1970
01-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Oh this is such good news! She looks like such a sweet girl, and she deserves to live out the rest of her life being a pampered and spoiled girl.

slick
01-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Great news Tamara! So happy that this sweet girl will be around for some time yet. Looking forward to lots more pictures.:)

Glacier
01-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Looking forward to lots more pictures.:)

Well, I'm off work for the next month, so you may get your wish!

Cinder & Smoke
01-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Well, I'm off work for the next month ...

:eek:
:(

What happened at work?

Is being off work a scheduled or expected thing?

Should we all buy more Jewelry? ;)

Glacier
01-25-2008, 02:27 AM
:eek:
:(

What happened at work?

Is being off work a scheduled or expected thing?

Should we all buy more Jewelry? ;)

I take at least three weeks off every winter. Planned months ago. Well, not really planned cuz I'm not doing anything, but booked off through HR months ago.

Buying more is always good! ;) I think Anvik will need a dental soon!

Pawsitive Thinking
01-25-2008, 04:58 AM
Wonderful news!!!

Ginger's Mom
01-25-2008, 05:44 AM
That really is wonderful news. :D Tamara, you really are an animal's best friend. To think that her "family" was so willing to give up on her when she has more life to live is so sad.

pitc9
01-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Great news!!

cyber-sibes
01-25-2008, 08:02 AM
That's great news! Kind of makes you wish you could wave that great report in those people's faces (your neighbors) - what liars! They made it sound like she already had one paw in the grave. So glad Pirate is in your loving care now. Hugs & belly rubs to that dear girl!

Husky_mom
01-25-2008, 11:22 AM
yo ho.... yo ho.... a Pirate´s life for us!!..... YAY!!... good to hear she´s ok and let´s hope the meds help with her leaking prob....

I will too gonna be wish granted with the pics of the beauty...*many many belly rubs and ear scritches*

lizbud
01-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Excellent news on Pirate. :) Sounds like she can have many more happy
times with you & the pack. :) I am just so happy you found her. I'm trying
to not have evil thoughts of her former (family??) but it's hard to hear how
neglectful they were. That's all in the past now, thank heavens.

Glacier
01-25-2008, 04:32 PM
That's great news! Kind of makes you wish you could wave that great report in those people's faces (your neighbors) - what liars!

Oh, I'm dying for the chance to do that and I'm quite sure I'll get it! I'm sure we will eventually run into each other and they'll give me some sob story full of BS. I'm looking forward to calling her out on it! I hope there are lots of people around when it happens too!!

cassiesmom
01-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Glacier, I have heard of an old, old drug called Brathancol, I think, that does wonders with urine control and spine issues. It worked wonders with a kitty I owned with spine damage......it is hard to come by, but it worked!

You are such a good doggie mommie! ((((((((((((((((Glacier))))))))))))))) :cool:

bethanechol (beth-an-e-coal) goes by the brand name Urecholine or Duvoid but I'm sure it's available as a generic too. When I worked stroke and spinal cord rehab we used to give it to patients with urinary retention, to get their bladder muscle to contract/empty.

How was Pirate girl's first day after the DES dose? Could you give her some petting for me, please?

Glacier
01-25-2008, 04:54 PM
How was Pirate girl's first day after the DES dose? Could you give her some petting for me, please?

She was dry overnight, but I went to bed really late so she wasn't in her crate for too long! She leaked a small amount this afternoon while napping in the shop, but way less than a couple days ago. There was no puddle underneath her, just a bit damp. I think it's working!

She's outside in the big yard for the first time right now. She's moving really well. Metacam rocks! I'll have more pics soon.

Canis-Lupess
01-25-2008, 06:13 PM
It's a pity about metecam, it didn't do anything for our Jess and Mist. Made no difference at all and I gave up on it. It's supposed to be the best stuff too. :(

Good to know it's helping Pirate though and that her bladder issue is resolving.
If she ever gets cystitis, put cranberry juice in her water. Our Jess has it all the time now after problems with cystitis which just used to come back after her anti-biotics finished but she hasn't had a problem since she's been having some cranberry...and I'll take the liberty of pinching some myself as well, haha. :D

Glacier
01-26-2008, 11:41 AM
It is all I can do not to cry happy tears this morning:

I've been bringing Pirate in the house on leash. Last night, I let the other dogs in. She watched from just beyond the door. I could see the wheels turning in her little head. I called her name and she decided yup, it's safe and I'm allowed. She came through the door on her own. She got a drink, sniffed a litterbox and trotted to her crate! She knows this is her home now!

Pirate awoke to a clean, dry blanket! Not even a dribble in her crate overnight!

This morning I let her out into the main yard. I don't think she needs to be in her own little pen anymore. I went to let Kayleigh out of the shop. When I came out, I saw Pirate RUNNING beside Tehya! Not sprinting and only for about 30 feet, but she was RUNNING!! Tail up, husky grin on her face, running!

Sometimes you get a day filled with little miracles! :D

Catty1
01-26-2008, 11:48 AM
HUGE miracles! WOW!

I am SO happy for Pirate! And SO happy for you!

I hope you called Dr Rick - he would probably be thrilled to hear the news!

I wish her previous people could walk by and see her happy and running and grinning!

They say living well is the best revenge! :D

lizbud
01-26-2008, 11:52 AM

I've been bringing Pirate in the house on leash. Last night, I let the other dogs in. She watched from just beyond the door. I could see the wheels turning in her little head. I called her name and she decided yup, it's safe and I'm allowed. She came through the door on her own. She got a drink, sniffed a litterbox and trotted to her crate! She knows this is her home now!

Pirate awoke to a clean, dry blanket! Not even a dribble in her crate overnight!

This morning I let her out into the main yard. I don't think she needs to be in her own little pen anymore. I went to let Kayleigh out of the shop. When I came out, I saw Pirate RUNNING beside Tehya! Not sprinting and only for about 30 feet, but she was RUNNING!! Tail up, husky grin on her face, running!

WOOHOO :) Thanks for sharing this great news. :)

Glacier
01-26-2008, 11:52 AM
I hope you called Dr Rick - he would probably be thrilled to hear the news!

The clinic is closed on the weekends and if he's on call and I call the emergency line, well, he'll assume something disasterous has happened! We have a follow up phone call booked for Thursday, although I think I'll email him before that!

Karen
01-26-2008, 11:53 AM
What happy, happy news! She's a lovely old girl who just needed a chance, some love and some vet help!

Grace
01-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Oh my, you have me crying and laughing at the same time. I can just picture Pirate and Tehya running together.

She knows she's home - forever http://bestsmileys.com/dogs/4.gif

cyber-sibes
01-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Wow, amazing! Big grin on my face too!
Tehya is such a sweetie - her joy seems to be contagious, she seems to get just about everybody to play with her! I'm glad Pirate's so happy, she deserves it!

Cinder & Smoke
01-26-2008, 02:34 PM

She came through the door on her own.
She knows this is her home now!

Pirate awoke to a clean, dry blanket!
Not even a dribble in her crate overnight!

I saw Pirate RUNNING beside Tehya!
Not sprinting and only for about 30 feet, but she was RUNNING!!
Tail up, husky grin on her face, running!

YOU get to see those Miracles because YOU were responsible for
creating them in the first place!

God's way of telling You: "Good Job, Tamara!"
:)
:D

shais_mom
01-26-2008, 02:58 PM
what a great update! :D
I'm so happy for you both! :D

Queen of Poop
01-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Sounds like you and Tehya are both good medicine.

ramanth
01-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Great to hear the meds are working!! :D :D

cassiesmom
01-26-2008, 06:23 PM
YOU get to see those Miracles because YOU were responsible for
creating them in the first place!

God's way of telling You: "Good Job, Tamara!"
:)
:D

What Phred said! :D

gini
01-27-2008, 11:11 AM
What Phred said! :D

Double what Phred said!

I would imagine that it just made your heart soar to see her RUNNING and so happy!

captain
01-28-2008, 06:47 PM
That is great news Tamara.
I am so happy for Pirate, and even happier for you. :-)

As for Phred suggesting "buy more jewellery". Uh, Phred ........... wotcha thinking of? A necklace and earring set perhaps :D

gini
01-28-2008, 06:51 PM
That is great news Tamara.
I am so happy for Pirate, and even happier for you. :-)

As for Phred suggesting "buy more jewellery". Uh, Phred ........... wotcha thinking of? A necklace and earring set perhaps :D

Ha! Feeling pretty smug aren't you - throwing those jibes at Phred from down under - where you are safe!!:D :D

Cinder & Smoke
01-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Uh, Phred ... wotcha thinking of?
A necklace and earring set perhaps :D

;)

I'm trying to pick *my color* before I order.

:p

Glacier
01-28-2008, 07:42 PM
;)

I'm trying to pick *my color* before I order.

:p

I have a wide range of colors! Got a gift certificate for Christmas so I've even got some new ones! Teee heee......

Pirate continues to do very well. She had a bit of trouble yesterday with some very watery stools. I suspect the stress of moving, going to the vet, new food(i don't know what she ate before so she went straight to Paxil's kibble), and new medicine all combined to wreak havoc in her GI tract!

I found a can of Gastro Formula food in the cupboard, must have been leftover from another sick furkid, and a can of pure pumpkin. The combination seems to have firmed things back up today. She had more pumpkin in her dinner just in case. Apparently pumpkin is tasty to dogs! Her tail is a little dirty. She might have to get a bath tonight!

The urine leakage seems to have stopped completely. She's moving very well, when she decides to get off her bed and go outside! She likes being a house dog ALOT! Plus it's miserable outside, -48C, today. I don't want to be outside either!

She did a fake shiver at the shop door this afternoon. It was hysterically funny. Didn't take her long to figure that trick out or to train me to open the door for her!

cassiesmom
01-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Pirate continues to do very well. She had a bit of trouble yesterday with some very watery stools. I suspect the stress of moving, going to the vet, new food(i don't know what she ate before so she went straight to Paxil's kibble), and new medicine all combined to wreak havoc in her GI tract!

I found a can of Gastro Formula food in the cupboard, must have been leftover from another sick furkid, and a can of pure pumpkin. The combination seems to have firmed things back up today. She had more pumpkin in her dinner just in case. Apparently pumpkin is tasty to dogs! Her tail is a little dirty. She might have to get a bath tonight!

The urine leakage seems to have stopped completely. She's moving very well, when she decides to get off her bed and go outside! She likes being a house dog A LOT! Plus it's miserable outside, -48C, today. I don't want to be outside either!

She did a fake shiver at the shop door this afternoon. It was hysterically funny. Didn't take her long to figure that trick out or to train me to open the door for her!

What is the fake shiver trick?

YAY that the urine leakage doesn't seem to be a problem anymore! BOO for watery stools, but double YAY for gastro-formula food and canned pumpkin! Extra-double YAY for you for being able to figure out who's got tummy troubles out of all of your fur-kids!!

-48C?! BRRRRR! You and the doggers and the cats all stay warm, please!!

Glacier
01-29-2008, 03:13 PM
What is the fake shiver trick?

It's where they sit in front of the door or a window and pretend to shiver! Usually after they've been outside for 5 minutes or less! Shivering only occurs when a human is watching and stops as soon as the door is open! Anvik is the master at it.

Pirate still has diarrhea so I called her doc this morning. She's doing an approved 24 hour fast, still getting her meds, but no food. Tomorrow she'll get a couple small meals of rice and gastro food. She is still drinking well so I don't think she's dehydrated. If she still has the runs tomorrow, I'm supposed to call Rick again and he'll come up with something else for her.

pitc9
01-29-2008, 03:44 PM
GREAT news!!!

lizbud
01-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Good luck in getting Pirate's diet straightened out again. No more
runny stuff.

cassiesmom
01-29-2008, 05:47 PM
It's where they sit in front of the door or a window and pretend to shiver! Usually after they've been outside for 5 minutes or less! Shivering only occurs when a human is watching and stops as soon as the door is open! Anvik is the master at it.
Okay, I've got it now. I'm dense ... "i'll sit out here and shiver and then my hooman will open the door and I'll get to go inside."

Pirate still has diarrhea so I called her doc this morning. She's doing an approved 24 hour fast, still getting her meds, but no food. Tomorrow she'll get a couple small meals of rice and gastro food. She is still drinking well so I don't think she's dehydrated. If she still has the runs tomorrow, I'm supposed to call Rick again and he'll come up with something else for her.

Glacier, could Pirate's loose stools be from the Metacam, and/or, the DES? You've been giving the DES to Sleet with no problems though, correct? I'm sorry to read that Pirate's stools are loose again. You are such a good mommie I'm sure you'll have her put right in no time, though! I hope it is not the Metacam causing her symptoms because it has improved her stiffness so fast. I just wanted to put it out there, though. (It's the nurse in me, sorry!)

finn's mom
01-29-2008, 05:51 PM
I just read the update about her running alongside Tehya. :) How incredible. That place does work miracles. Tehya got Pirate's spirits up. Thanks for sharing her progress, sounds like she's where she belongs. :)

Glacier
01-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Glacier, could Pirate's loose stools be from the Metacam, and/or, the DES? You've been giving the DES to Sleet with no problems though, correct? I'm sorry to read that Pirate's stools are loose again. You are such a good mommie I'm sure you'll have her put right in no time, though! I hope it is not the Metacam causing her symptoms because it has improved her stiffness so fast. I just wanted to put it out there, though. (It's the nurse in me, sorry!)

Highly unlikely that it's from the DES. It's an extremely low dose. When it has side effects, they tend to be major and not sudden onset. It is quite possible it's from the Metacam. It's listed in the package insert as a possible side effect. I've never had another dog get diarrhea from Metacam and I use it alot! Goldie has taken it every day for three years with no side effects. If it is from the Metacam, she has other options for pain control.

I think/hope she's just reacting to a very busy, stressful week. She has settled in well, but her whole world changed overnight...new home, new dogs, new people, new food, vet visit, medication. Even when change is for the better, it is still stressful.

jennielynn1970
01-29-2008, 07:01 PM
So glad to hear that Pirate is feeling better! I think that just being with you would make any dog feel so loved and cared for! And Tehya makes them feel all young and playful!

I cannot imagine -48*C. I was in Stockholm, Sweden, but I don't think it even got that cold there. BRRRRRR!!! I'd be shivering after 30 seconds outside!

Freedom
01-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Just catchin gup and so pleased to read that overall Pirate is doing better. A few bumps in the road but doesn't sound like anything major.

And why am I not surprised it was Tehya!

Glacier
01-30-2008, 06:36 PM
So far so good today. I gave her small meal of rice and gastro formula food this morning. She wolfed it down. She'll get another small meal for dinner. Hopefully I won't have to mop out her crate in the morning! Her follow up with Rick is booked for tomorrow, just a phone call. I think he'll start to wean the DES down.