PDA

View Full Version : Cats.. I want to learn about them - Possibly will adopt in September..

CountryWolf07
01-24-2008, 04:10 PM
So, I am new to cats, never owned one in my life, but I would love to have one to come home to after my classes and whatnot. I will be in my final year in September at Ohio State, and I will be living in a 1 bedroom apartment. So any advice/tips about cats would be wonderful. What I am looking for is a cat with a sweet deposition/attitude, loves to be held/cuddled (I don't know if you can find that in a trait.. but is there one?).. Any breeds you'd suggest me research, would be wonderful. :)

Thanks!

jazzcat
01-24-2008, 04:29 PM
All I can suggest is spend time at a shelter or adoption center and get a feel for the personality. If you get a cat (as oppposed to kitten) you will be more likely to find one that fits your situation the best. I've noticed there are always lots of 1-2 year old cats at our shelter. They say that is when they grow out of their "kitten cuteness" and bad owners get rid of them. :( To me that's when they are best because they are settling down and really showing their personality. Of course don't forget the older kitties. If you are looking for a good lap cat they can be some of the best.

Glad to hear you are thinking about getting a kitty. :)

Laura's Babies
01-24-2008, 04:55 PM
I agree, to get a little experience and knolage, volunteer where you will be in contact with them, get to handle them, play with them and see how they are. Personalities are as varied in cats as they are in people. You have some that want only to be petted when THEY want it and only on their terms. You have some that want to be lap cats and some that don't. Some that want to sleep close to you and some that don't, some that play, play, play and some that don't... You getting the picture? Some can be very demanding of your time and attention and others that would rather be left to themselves.

I think if you start reading posts here in the cat section, you can and will, learn a whole lot! There is a vast amount of knolage here, experienced knolage. (I would do that first!) You can find out what a lot of the common problems with them can be and what to do for them. You can enjoy the "pleasures" of having one in your life through us.. I will warn you, they are addicting! Just always remember, getting a pet is a lifetime committment and they DO have feelings!

catmandu
01-24-2008, 06:01 PM
CAT FANCY IS AN EXCELLENT MAGAZINE TO READ AND AT YOUR PUBLIC LIBRARY THERE WILL BE MANY EXCELLENT BOOKS ON CATS SO YOU CAN FIND OUT ALL ABOUT THEM.
I WOULD ADOPT AN OLDER CATS, SAY 2 OR 3 AS YOU ALREADY HAVE A CAT WHOS PURRSONALITY IS ALREADY FORMED , AND YOU WILL HAVE A GRATEFUL CUDDLE BUG FOR MANY YEARS TO COME!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20angels/cats1011810.jpg
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR NEW FRIEND!!!

Moesha
01-24-2008, 06:09 PM
I highly recommend a cat. I've been reading your thread in the dog thread. I used to think I was a "dog person" and didn't like cats. Then I had one! Now I have 8. But the first one is still my big baby. I really think that a cat would fit your lifestyle better than a dog. Not that there's anything wrong with dogs, but they do require alot more work and attention than a cat. And there are cats that have personalities that are similiar to a dog. Ones that love to be with people and to be held. Get to know the kitty. One observation I have made, and it is not in any way to be viewed as a rule, but from what I have noticed, male kitties tend to be very affectionate with their person. Hope you find what you're looking for. And it is good that you are thinking ahead and not making any rash decisions.

PS I named my kitty, Morgan, because of Garth Brooks' song 2 Pina Coladas.

buttercup132
01-24-2008, 06:16 PM
There are lots of cats that have dog personalities.
My two Sphynx are very loving and dog like, I wouldn't reccomned such a high maintinence cat for you first though.
Go to the shelter meet some cats I'm sure you'll find the right one.
Not every breed is going to be the same, it's all about how they were raised.

Freedom
01-24-2008, 06:33 PM
A cat will take time to settle and warm up to you. So you can't make a decision within the first day home and say "oh, this one isn't snuggly!" That may take 3 days to a week depending on the cat.

Unlike a dog who, show her a treat and give a tummy rub and wham, she is mush in your hands, lol.

Would you conside volunteering with a cat rescue group and doing some fostering? Then you can get to know the personality over time. Find one you like, adopt it, and then suggest that they take you off the foster list. They may need a week or so to place any foster cat you had at that time.

Some shelters also use foster homes, that would be easier to return the cat if it is too stand offish after a week.

Just some thoughts.

Basic Needs:
Here is what I think a new cat owner MUST have:
food and water bowls
litter box, scoop and litter
a few toys == a toy mouse, a ball with a bell in it
A SCRATCHING POST

All cats scratch, it is natural for them, it cleans and sharpens their claws, sheds off the older parts of the nail. And they have glands which leave their "mark" on what they scratch.

It IS possible to have a cat only scratch on the cat things (scratching post, perch, tree, etc.) and NOT on your furniture. It may take a week of training, but it can be done.

When you see "kitty starter kits" in stores, they almost NEVER have a scratching post! This gives many new cat owners a bad start.

columbine
01-24-2008, 10:44 PM
One good way to choose a cat by disposition is to look at petfinder.com. There are often behavioral descriptions (e.g. cuddly, shy, playful, calm, etc.) along with age, any special needs, whether they get along with dogs or other cats, etc.

Love, Columbine

KittyCrazy
01-24-2008, 11:03 PM
If the personality of a cat is important to you and you'd like one who likes to be on your lap or flop on the couch with you to watch a movie, you're best bet is to pick out a cat who is already 2 or older. When I have volunteered at Humane Associations, you quickly learn which ones are the cuddle bugs and which ones are more stand offish.

I got my cat when she was 8 weeks old and she was the cuddliest one of the bunch and very affectionate. Now she's as stuck up as a cat can be! LOL She won't ever hop into anyone's lap and she'll only sleep with my husband & I if she stays down by our feet and even then it's only for a short time. She also won't come within 20 feet of a stranger.

Tonight I went to a meeting at someone's house and their cat gree
ted everyone at the door like he was the welcoming committee! So, sometimes you can get a better idea of how personable a cat will be if you skip the baby/toddler stage.

One thing I do know about the different breeds is that Ragdolls are known for being quite affectionate and just going limp in your arms when you pick them up. That said, however, MY snooty, "don't touch me!" cat is half Ragdoll so she apparently didn't get that trait.

CountryWolf07
01-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Thank you for the suggestions & tips!! I will definitely pick up a Cat Fancy magazine just to look it over and it'll be something handy to have. =)

I have a silly question, how do you housebreak a cat? How do you train with a litter box?

I would like to keep my cat indoors, so would it be easy to train it to remain where I want it to be, not outdoors?

I am actually planning on adopting an adult cat, about a year or two years old. I do know that many people get rid of it because of its personality change, which is sad to me, same thing with dogs, also. (for example: My husky)

jazzcat
01-25-2008, 10:55 AM
I have a silly question, how do you housebreak a cat? How do you train with a litter box?

I would like to keep my cat indoors, so would it be easy to train it to remain where I want it to be, not outdoors?

I am actually planning on adopting an adult cat, about a year or two years old. I do know that many people get rid of it because of its personality change, which is sad to me, same thing with dogs, also. (for example: My husky)
Not a silly question. I doubt you will have to do anything more than show your cat where the litterbox is. Make sure you put it in an easy to get to quiet place and you should have no trouble. If you adopt an older cat from a rescue or shelter they should be able to tell you if the cat uses the box well - most always do because it is their nature to want to hide and cover up their potty.

About being indoor, if you adopt a cat who used to be indoor only you probably won't have a problem but sometimes a cat who was indoor/outdoor or outdoor only before may want to go out. You just have to be diligent about being careful he/she doesn't run out when you open doors. I have a couple of cats who try to dart out the door to the garage and if it gets too bad I use a water spray bottle to scare them away.

Make sure you get plenty of toys, scratching posts and a good view from a window for your kitty to stay entertained and you probably won't have any problems.

buttercup132
01-25-2008, 12:47 PM
I have a silly question, how do you housebreak a cat? How do you train with a litter box? Most come already trained, espcially if your getting a older cat. My first cat was 8 weeks old I think maybe 12 when we got him and he was already litter trained. I have 5 cats now and never had to train any of them. I don't even know how to train one to use a box :o

jazzcat
01-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Most come already trained, espcially if your getting a older cat. My first cat was 8 weeks old I think maybe 12 when we got him and he was already litter trained. I have 5 cats now and never had to train any of them. I don't even know how to train one to use a box :o

We rescued Moxie and Decker and their siblings from our back yard at 4-5 weeks old and they learned to used the box quickly. I'd just put them in it right after they would eat and they'd dig a little and then drop and go. It's just natural instinct for them. Don't get me wrong, we did have a couple of accidents outside the box but only the first couple of days.

Tora Oni
01-25-2008, 01:27 PM
I highly recommend a cat. I've been reading your thread in the dog thread. I used to think I was a "dog person" and didn't like cats. Then I had one! Now I have 8. But the first one is still my big baby. I really think that a cat would fit your lifestyle better than a dog. Not that there's anything wrong with dogs, but they do require alot more work and attention than a cat. And there are cats that have personalities that are similiar to a dog. Ones that love to be with people and to be held. Get to know the kitty. One observation I have made, and it is not in any way to be viewed as a rule, but from what I have noticed, male kitties tend to be very affectionate with their person. Hope you find what you're looking for. And it is good that you are thinking ahead and not making any rash decisions.

PS I named my kitty, Morgan, because of Garth Brooks' song 2 Pina Coladas. I totally agree, The same thing happened to me up till I was 13 I thought I was a dog person, me and my dog competed in obedience training so its not that I feel out of love with my dog it just I found a new love and as much as I love my dog I still connect with my cat better than my dog. Which I had since I was 8, but now all I want are cats but I'm waiting till I get a good job and such. If I were you I wouldn't get a kitten the first time because if your a new cat owner because the take alot of care and if your not familiar to the things a grown cat does then you probably won't think to proof your house in some ways a kitten would need, not that its impossible. It more so the fact that if you get 1 or 2 year cat then you know it is going to be a cuddler or not when a kitten don't always stay the same. Some people think that getting an older cat it has all these habits that you can't deter or their going to be less trusting or something which is absolutly untrue. Most cats if trained or taught not to do something correctly their not going to and your probably only going to have one cat so behavior problems won't occur; such as spraying. My advice is above all make sure your cat is spayed or neutred and it will be more friendler and less likly to be focused on mating and more on just being a carefree cat. Oh btw Stormy was found in a park.

KitCat
01-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Cats can be very attentive and loving, despite what many people think. They are also trainable despite the rumor they aren't. My cat knows the rules of the house and follows them and knows some tricks.

He is a great companion, and I would certainly advise a cat as a good pet. They are much more quiet than a dog, and easy to take care of. My cat loves attention, to be brushed and combed, and likes to play with toys even though he is about 10 years old. He has really enriched my life!

krazyaboutkatz
01-25-2008, 09:24 PM
I also read your thread in dog general and I'm glad that you're also considering adopting a cat.:) I now have 4 males and 2 females and from my experinece the males are more of the lovebug type than my females. I also agree that adopting a slightly older cat is a great idea because then you really know what their personality will be like. My cat Sky is my kitty dog and he was about 1 when I adopted him but I already knew that he was a very outgoing cat and that he loved people before I even brought him home. He's a Norwegian Forest Cat/Siamese Mix.

All of my cats are rescues but if for some reason you'd like a purebred cat then the Maine Coons and Norwegian Forest Cats are often considered very dog like if this is what you're looking for. Most Siamese cats are also very friendly and will form strong bonds with their owners. I would recommend that you look at petfinder or a local rescue group or humane society. They can usually help you find exactly what you're looking for. Good luck.:)

Russian Blue
01-26-2008, 01:32 PM
I also agree with the older cats since it's much easier to see their personalities and behaviours. Go to a local rescue or contact a cat rescue in your area and discuss your living situation with them. They will know their cats and can find one that fits your home.

Also, if you want to find a specific breed of cat you can contact local breeders. Many times they will retire a cat from breeding and need a home for them usually at a reduced cost as well. To understand the basic breed descriptions, you can read about them here: Cat Breeds (http://www.cfainc.org/breeds.html)

I've had rescue cats growing up and last year lost my heart cat, Nakita who was a purebred Russian Blue. I would never tell someone to take one cat over another. The best cat for you is one you fall in love with and will take care of throughout its life. Also, I couldn't tell you that males are more lovable than females since each cat is so unique and I've had very lovable cats from each gender.

I just added two cats from a local rescue to my house, a 2 year old female named Gigi and a 7 month old make named Steve. I was originally looking to only adopt Steve but knew it wouldn't be fair to leave him home alone when we were gone to work. So the two cats keep each other company when we're gone and it's very entertaining watching the two of them interact.

Good luck on your search and feel free to ask any questions!! :)

Bengalz
01-26-2008, 01:50 PM
I've lived with cats throughout most of my life and have found them to be a wonderful friend and companion. Each one is unique and differs in personality. I agree with Kass - look for a kitty that you fall in love with and falls in love with you.

Knowing if your kitty will be an affectionate lap kitty is not always a certainty. All of my kitties have been affectionate but not necessarily lap cats. When Eve (a rescue) was with her previous humans, she would not let them pick her up and was anything but affectionate. However, with us she is the ultimate cuddle buddy, always looking for hugs and snuggles and frequently found snuggled up in daddy's lap :D . She waits for me to go to bed at night and instantly curls up and leans into to me for cuddles. She also picked us to be her purrents - ran away from her previous owners and parked herself on our doorstep until we took her in and kept her.

The interesting part of this story is that her previous owners adopted Eve along with her baby. They still have her baby, Bella and Bella is completely bonded to her humans. Cats are a mystery and are often known to make their own choices. I believe the best situation is one in which your kitty picks you as Eve did with us. She is just the sweetest baby girl and we are so lucky to have her in our lives.

My best advice would be to take your time and visit local rescues and shelters. There are so many kitties looking for someone to love and you are certain to find one that steals your heart.

Good luck with your search and don't hesitate to ask questions or look for assistance, when confused. A kitty in your life will enrich your time; love the one that picks you and you will experience a wonderful thing :)