PDA

View Full Version : New Yahoo Security Policy - they can track you! Opt out here! NEW LINK added

Catty1
01-24-2008, 09:51 AM
This is on several Yahoo Groups that I am a member of. I did the steps below and it sure is there!

Please do not *spam* this message, but let your contacts know.

Makes me nervous knowing that our privacy on the web is not sooo private anymore with technology growing.
Thank you for the Tib Bit Mike!! Leanne

To: [email protected]: [email protected]: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:50:58 +0000Subject: [calgarybuynsell] MODERATOR MESSAGE: New Yahoo! Privacy Policy - 01/23/2008

If you belong to any yahoo Groups this is important...Sharing a tidbit of information:Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track YahooGroup users around the net and see what you're doing and where you are going similar to cookies. Yahoo is recording every website and every group you visit. Take a look at their updated privacy statement:

1. http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy .

2.About half-way down the page, in the section on cookies, you will see a link that says web beacons. Click on the phrase web beacons.

3. That will bring you to a paragraph entitled "Outside the Yahoo Network." In this section you'll see a little "click here to opt out"link that will let you "opt-out" of their new method of snooping.

Or go directly to this link, and scroll down to "Outside the Yahoo Network"

http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/webbeacons/

4. Once you have clicked that link, you are exempted.Notice the "Success" message on the top of the next page. Be careful because on that page there is a "Cancel Opt-out" button that, if clicked, will *undo* the opt-out.

caseysmom
01-24-2008, 10:50 AM
You have no privacy on the web and never have.

Laura's Babies
01-24-2008, 03:41 PM
I do not see that web becons thing, this is what I see

"Yahoo!'s Practices Regarding Cookies

Yahoo! uses its own cookies for a number of purposes, including to:

Access your information when you "sign in" so we can provide you with customized content or remember the last page you visited in a Yahoo! product or service.
Keep track of preferences you specify while you are using Yahoo! products or services.
Deliver advertisements relevant to your interests when you visit the branded Yahoo! network of web sites or sites in the Yahoo! advertising network outside of the branded Yahoo! network of sites, using a cookie that gathers anonymous information based on visits to Yahoo! network sites.
If you would rather not receive customized advertising off of the branded Yahoo! network of web sites, you can opt-out of this service.
Provide general internal and customer analytics.
Conduct research to improve Yahoo!'s content, products and services.
To support security measures such as requiring re-logging into a Yahoo! product or service after a certain amount of time has elapsed.
To assist in identifying possible fraudulent activities.
Other Companies' Cookies on Yahoo!

In addition to Yahoo! using cookies, we allow certain third parties and affiliates to set and access their cookies on your computer.
Those companies provide auditing, research and reporting for advertisers.
Advertisers' and researchers' use of cookies is subject to their own privacy policies, not the Yahoo! Privacy Policy.
Click here for more information on other companies' cookies on the Yahoo! Network.

In clicking on some of the things I am clicking on, I am going in circles, clicking opt out just brings up more pages>>> :confused:

moosmom
01-24-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm opted out.

columbine
01-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks! I do use YahooGroups, so this was helpful. Of course, I also use Gmail, and the stuff their adbots fling at me tends to be humorously off-base, at least so far.

Love, Columbine

Catty1
01-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Laura - http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/webbeacons/

Scroll down to "Outside the Yahoo Network" and click on "click here" to opt out.

Let me know how that works!

Laura's Babies
01-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Done! I hope that mean also that I will quit getting so much spam in there! That is ALL I get in Yahoo anymore.

Catty1
01-24-2008, 11:49 PM
It won't stop spam, Laura...You'd be best off setting up a new Yahoo account and emailing the new addy to all your friends. There is an easy way to export your current address book and import it into your new account.

If and when you do that - download Spybot Search and Destroy (free - just Google it. Beware of names that are "almost" like that one). Make sure you run that twice a week (it will update automatically when you click to run it also).

Also - if you are sending emails to a bunch of people, use the BCC way to send (check in Yahoo Help if you don't see it). Sending a ton of messages where everyone can see them is a gold mine for spammers.

Avoid online petitions where you 'type and forward'. They're useless - and another good source for spammers.

I'll shut up now! :) Glad the opt-out worked for you.