PDA

View Full Version : So, I'm considering on adopting a dog. (tips/suggestion, please?)

CountryWolf07
01-23-2008, 08:03 PM
So in September, I will be moving into my apartment, that will allow pets, either cat or dog. I will be in my FINAL year at Ohio State & I finally have time for a pet. This will be my FIRST dog I will own & take care of. I will be living alone and I will want to have company when I come home after classes and whatnot. I believe that I can not get along with roommates at all so I just keep to myself quite a bit; and having a dog would be the perfect idea in my situation. So, I am considering on adopting a young dog, of a small/medium breed. I am curious to see what kind of dogs people own that LIVES in apartments/condos?

The breeds I am considering (already have met/experienced their personalities):

- Dachshund
- Corgi
- Chihuahua
- Pomeranian

Of course, a mixed breed is always an option.

Freedom
01-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Personally, I think a cat is more appropriate at this stage of life for you.

With a dog, you HAVE to be home at a certain time to walk it. What if you need to talk with someone after a class? The smaller breed like you listed, they need to "go" every 4 hours!

Just my thoughts. Sorry, I know it isn't what you want to hear. Cats are great company, too!

CountryWolf07
01-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Personally, I think a cat is more appropriate at this stage of life for you.

With a dog, you HAVE to be home at a certain time to walk it. What if you need to talk with someone after a class? The smaller breed like you listed, they need to "go" every 4 hours!

Just my thoughts. Sorry, I know it isn't what you want to hear. Cats are great company, too!

I never had such good luck with cats. Every cat I have held or touched, bit me. So I don't know if cats are actually that friendly or whatnot... and dogs are better company to me, in my opinion.

Giselle
01-23-2008, 08:50 PM
It really depends on how much time you can devote. Corgis are high energy herding dogs. Don't let those stubby legs fool you ;) I know many corgis, and they are every bit as active as a larger breed. Unfortunately, some people don't realize that and I've seen VERY obese corgis. Depending on Cardigan vs. Pembroke, as well, certain corgis can be more headstrong than others.

To be honest, I don't think Chis should be recommended as first time dogs as much as they are (which could probably explain for why there are SO many homeless Chis in my area). They're feisty, intelligent, loyal dogs. As a result, they can get headstrong and jealous very easily. As cute as they are, they need firm rules and clear leadership. Poms tend to be less 'feisty' in that sense, but they, too, are dogs and need to be treated as such. My friend is a very weak leader and her Pom walks all over her. Yet, whenever we dogsit for the Pom, she is always on her best behavior.

I think your best bet is a trip to the local shelters and seeing who's out there :)

Shelteez2
01-23-2008, 08:53 PM
I too think you should go to a shelter and see what's there.... my first thought when I looked at the breeds you listed were, yappy, yappy, yappy and yappy. lol That is something you should take into consideration if you will be living in an apartment. :)

Aspen and Misty
01-23-2008, 08:54 PM
I live in an apartment with my two large (over 50 pounds) lab mix's Nova and Konnor, here are my thoughts:

I would look at the shelter and see if there are any small guys there that you could adopt. If you don't go that route you could always look into breed rescues, that way you are still saving a life. Remember that your neighbor is just on the other side of the wall so a yippy dog won't work in an apartment (I find Poms to be very vocal). My two do great in an apartment, but it's very hard to keep it that way. My biggest thing is the protection they offer me. I feel very protected by their size, I know if anyone tried to come in, there bark alone would scare them away.

If it were me I would go for a dog 1 year or older, that is good with other dogs. That way you get a dog that isn't going to chew everything up, potty on the carpets and need a ton of training. I find it so much easier to train a 1 year old then a 4 month old puppy. Also, a tip from an apartment dwelling doggie mom - it's hard to exercise Nova because she isn't good with other dog, but with Konnor I just take him to the dog park and he runs and runs and runs. Getting a dog that is good with other dogs will make your life so much easier. You can take him to boarding facilities that offer doggie day camps (all day play) or you can take him to the dog park.

Other things you will want to keep in mind, you’re going to be paying rent plus utilities, food etc. etc. How much extra money will you have for grooming, how much extra time for exercise, etc. I know working full time for me leaves very little time for my dogs. I often times have to cancel my plans or not go out with friends because I have to walk the dogs and let them stretch there legs. My days off are spent at the dog park with Konnor or walking Nova. It's a lot harder then living with other people that can help with the daily care of dogs. Also, not having a back yard can make life pretty difficult. I am out walking sometimes at 5 in the morning or 11 at night. Just make sure you think it through, some Poms need groomed every 2 months, some corgi's need a lot of exercise, some Chi's need let out every few hours or so. I know you'll be a great mom to whatever doggie you pick.

Good luck! I can't wait to meet your new addition!!

Ashley

Ginger's Mom
01-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Hmm...some thoughts about the dogs you are considering. First, corgis are herding dog and very active, not really dogs that take well to being left in an apartment all day. And they are also very strong dogs for their size. They are wonderful dogs, and very very cute, but I don't think they are good for a single person in an apartment. Pomeranians are barkie little dogs, don't know what your apartment is going to be like, but if it is an older inside apartment, the neighbors may complain about the barking. But if that isn't an issue, they actually adapt really well to single owner apartment living. Chihuahuas, :) , good choice as long as you are considering adopting a dog that is a couple of years old, because it would be hard to house train a pup if you are in classes. Doxies, :D :D , I want to adopt an older dachshund, some day I will. Just remember they are very active little dogs, so they will require a lot of exercise.

Mixed breeds are great little dogs. I don't think you would regret taking a trip to the shelter and seeing if anyone really grabs you. You have time to look.

Sevaede
01-24-2008, 01:37 AM
To be honest, I don't think Chis should be recommended as first time dogs as much as they are (which could probably explain for why there are SO many homeless Chis in my area). They're feisty, intelligent, loyal dogs. As a result, they can get headstrong and jealous very easily. As cute as they are, they need firm rules and clear leadership. Poms tend to be less 'feisty' in that sense, but they, too, are dogs and need to be treated as such. My friend is a very weak leader and her Pom walks all over her. Yet, whenever we dogsit for the Pom, she is always on her best behavior.

I completely agree with what you said about Chihuahuas.

Although, I must disagree with you, Shelteez2, on the yappy comment. My Chi rarely barks. Usually only when there is a knock on the door. :)

Pawsitive Thinking
01-24-2008, 06:15 AM
I will be living alone and I will want to have company when I come home after classes and whatnot.

I fully understand your reasons but look at that statement from the dog's point of view. He/she will be living alone while you are at classes and there is sure to be a social life........... will you really have time for a dog when you are in your last year of studies???

If you want canine company is there a shelter where you can help out when/if you have spare time?

kimlovescats
01-24-2008, 06:28 AM
First, could you PLEASE make your font bigger? Some of us 'not so young' ones can't read it good even with our bi-focals! :p

September is pretty far away, so it's good that you are planning way ahead! My Doxie has always been indoors since she was a baby, but has truly been the best and easiest one of ours to housebreak and control her actions. She is very smart and minds completely and quickly. With her very short legs, a good few laps around the room is great exercise for her, but also she is a miniature Doxie. I don't know, maybe we have been extremely lucky with her but I've heard others who thought the same of their Doxies.

Good luck in your search! ;)

Pam
01-24-2008, 07:10 AM
I can totally understand your desire to have a furry friend waiting for you at the end of the day. There is nothing like it! I only have two thoughts in that regard. The first concerns barking which all dogs will do at some time. I know that many people have dogs in apartments but I am wondering how well even minimal barking plays out with the neighbors.

Secondly, and perhaps more important, is the last walk of the night. I am assuming you live in a safe area, but unfortunately in some areas it is not wise for women to be outside at night walking a dog. I guess I have been hearing too many of these *missing women* stories on TV but it would be a concern to me and I just thought I'd pass it on.

angelbow20
01-24-2008, 07:42 AM
Whi not something like a bassett hound, bull dog or boston terrier or even a shi tzu or cocker? mixed dogs are always great also.

WELOVESPUPPIES
01-24-2008, 07:54 AM
I too think you should go to a shelter and see what's there.... my first thought when I looked at the breeds you listed were, yappy, yappy, yappy and yappy. lol That is something you should take into consideration if you will be living in an apartment. :)

Hey take dat back!! We iz not yappy just very expressive ;) Luv Chopper.

I would visit the shelter too. You can house train your dog (if it is small enough) to use a potty box too for the times when you might be gone a little longer than normal. Chopper has a box that I just put a puppy pad in and change as needed. Granite I work at home so he has the option to go outside during the day too. As far as needing to go frequently I think that depends on the dog. Chopper is only 3.5 pounds and he could easliy go an 8 hour work day without having to use the bathroom and he has food and water down at all times. The yappiness too in smaller breeds is controllable, you just have to work with them. Chopper is actually very quiet and only barks if someone comes to the door, after a couple barks from all three of mine I say "quiet" and they all stop. Squirt bottles are a good method of teaching them to stop barking. Mine all learned in two or three squirts and Duke is over 7 years old. Maybe you could find a smaller mix that is not demanding in the exercise department since you will have no yard for them to play in, also try petfinder.com when you get serious. Just but the name of the breed you like most and it will list all the mixes with that in it too. They have a lot of great dogs listed on there.

Take into consideration how long your day is where you will be away from the house. All dogs need human companionship and leaving him/her home alone for to great of a time is unfair. Good luck.

4 Dog Mother
01-24-2008, 08:59 AM
I think getting a shelter dog would be a great idea. You can get one that is a little older - like a year that is already house trained. We got Dazzi from a friend who gave her to us when he got divorced and was moving to an apartment. He had got her from the shelter when she was about a year old. She is the best trained dog! She comes when you call, she doesn't leave the yard except for a little wandering and comes back the moment you call her name even in mid bunny chase, was house trained, rides well in the car, and in general is a great dog. We didn't have to deal with chewing, or any of the other things you have to deal with with puppies. I would think in Columbus you would have a great choice of dogs of all ages and types. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Shelteez2
01-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Sorry if I offended anyone with the yappy comment. That wasn't my intention. I have a yappy dog. Shelties are known to be barkers, and my girl is. She too doesn't really bark in the house though, unless someone comes to the door. However, I could not live in an apartment with her, with noise above, below and beside us. I've been in some apartments, where when the neighbors door was knocked on it sounded like it was right outside. I just wanted her to keep that under consideration. Of course most all dogs bark, and there are exceptions to every rule. :)

beeniesmom
01-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Whi not something like a bassett hound, bull dog or boston terrier or even a shi tzu or cocker? mixed dogs are always great also.

Unless you've owed a boston terrier, you have no idea how active they are.
Beenie tore up the bathroom twice when she was a little puppy. Thak God it was my own home and not a rental or we would have been in BIG trouble.

Frankie was a little more laid back but he still did his share of chewing the wood molding around the house if left unattended for 5 min. Now that they are older, they are great.

A boston puppy would be a no no but an older boston would a better idea.

Get whatever apt. friendly breed you want. Just consider that the more excerise the buggers get, the less damage they cause in the house! hehe

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/beeniesmom/IMG_4278.jpg

I have others of all the wood eaten in my bathroom and rugs eaten... etc. Don't mean to scare you but you don't want a boston puppy. :)

caseysmom
01-24-2008, 12:01 PM
My casey is 40 lbs but she is the most mellow dog, she never barks and it content to sit on the coach and do nothing all day. She can hold her bladder forever also.

My advice would be to talk to the shelter workers and get the most mellow dog they have, I would not think size would be a big issue. Bubba is mellow now he is half shihtzu half poodle, I would not want him in an apartment though because he is barky and when he was a puppy he was awful! I think a dog at least 2 or 3 would be a good choice.

WELOVESPUPPIES
01-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Sorry if I offended anyone with the yappy comment. That wasn't my intention. I have a yappy dog. Shelties are known to be barkers, and my girl is. She too doesn't really bark in the house though, unless someone comes to the door. However, I could not live in an apartment with her, with noise above, below and beside us. I've been in some apartments, where when the neighbors door was knocked on it sounded like it was right outside. I just wanted her to keep that under consideration. Of course most all dogs bark, and there are exceptions to every rule. :)

None taken ;)

molucass
01-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Although, I must disagree with you, Shelteez2, on the yappy comment. My Chi rarely barks. Usually only when there is a knock on the door. :)

Deebo hardly ever barks.. Only when someone new comes in the house that he doesn't know or if someone knocks on the door. Other than that, he's very quiet.

However, I do see the point she was trying to make with living in an apartment.. If someone surrounding your apartment made the slightest noise, Deebo probably would bark.. We don't live in an apartment, so that doesn't really become a problem for us.

Giselle
01-24-2008, 08:20 PM
My advice would be to talk to the shelter workers and get the most mellow dog they have, I would not think size would be a big issue. .
Good point!!

A lot of greyhound owners live in apartments and condos ;) A lot of larger breeds are actually very mellow. Giselle spends 23 hours sleeping, 30 minutes exercising, and 30 minutes eating LOL!

I think the individual dog here is more important than its breed.

Sparklecoon
01-25-2008, 12:44 AM
I say think older dog. Older dogs still have lots of love to give. Their personalities are already set. Generally, they have some training under their belts plus many have worn through that puppy hyperactivity making them a bit more suited for apartment life. Just a thought.

Pam
01-25-2008, 05:18 AM
Well, I know a standard poodle is probably larger than you were looking for but I just had to put in my own personal plug for them. My Bella only barks if Ripley gets her started :rolleyes: and, though she does love racing through the yard and playing fetch, she does not demand lots of daily exercise. She is quite happy to just lay around during the day. Of course the downside is the grooming requirement.

I would like to suggest a shelter dog but, even better than that, how about a dog who has been fostered? Then you get the added bonus of knowing in advance how the dog behaves in a home environment (that would help you evaluate the "quiet" factor). Also many are housebroken or the foster mom or dad is working on that. Just a thought. :)

robinh
01-25-2008, 06:27 AM
They can be barkie. My two will bark at the wind blowing. Max, my 12 yr old loves to hear himself bark at nothing. And they do have a large bark for such small dogs. But as with every other breed this is not necessarily typical.

Another suggestion would be to check out rescue organizations. There are rescues for just about every breed of dog. I've done rescue for yorkies and doxies. These are mostly adult dogs who need a loving home. And being rescues, they are so grateful to find a loving home.

bckrazy
01-25-2008, 09:26 AM
I agree with browsing Petfinder/shelters, and finding the dog that fits YOU, rather than a breed... since the breeds you listed really have nothing in common except size. C:

I can say that Corgis are awesome dogs, and coming home to one definitely cheers you up! They are clowny, quirky, happy, sassy, playful little balls of sunshine. They are also demanding. They need daily exercise and mental stimulation. Fozzie almost never barks, but I feel that barking is more of a training issue than anything. They need to be with their people, as much as possible. What is your schedule like? I have 5 classes... but I still have plenty of time to spend with my dogs. It mostly depends on how you manage your time, and how dedicated you are. Living in an apartment shouldn't be a problem, as long as you have somewhere nearby where your pup can get daily off-leash exercise, and as long as you go on a few walks a day.

CountryWolf07
01-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Now, this adoption of a dog is up in the air, because I have not finalized on a place I am looking at.. but, we will see what happens. :)