PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Rash...:(

racing_gurl07
01-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Does anyone know any good tips on healing or calming diaper rash?? Delilah's is getting better but shes still in alot of pain..the doc thought it was yeast infection and have her some medicine, but she is still in pain....does anyone have and tips?

caseysmom
01-23-2008, 02:32 PM
I used desitin a lot on my babies when they got diaper rash.

buttercup132
01-23-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm pretty sure I read some where that diaper rash and a yeast infection were the same thing :confused:

racing_gurl07
01-23-2008, 02:43 PM
really bad diaper rash is yeast infection...but you can just have plan old diaper rash...confusing and frustating i know

Jadapit
01-23-2008, 03:07 PM
I also used destin when my kids got diaper rash. You can also sprinke some corn starch over the destin it helps a lot!

emily_the_spoiled
01-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Please put some Desitin or Zinc Oxide on the rash when you change her diapers. This will help keep the area "dry" so it isn't irritated by any urine.

Cataholic
01-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Jonah has sensitive skin, and struggled with both rash and yeast infections alot.

I did not find desitin or powder to be an effective barrier against moisture. I used aquafor, and made sure I super dried his bottom, allowing him to go without diaper when feasible, and slather on a huge ton of aquafor.

Frequent diaper changes are an absolute must. Yeast infections need antibiotics, and if you are BF, make sure you are treated as well.

In place of aquafor, you can use vasoline, but, aquafor is much easier to apply, IMO.

caseysmom
01-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Jonah has sensitive skin, and struggled with both rash and yeast infections alot.

I did not find desitin or powder to be an effective barrier against moisture. I used aquafor, and made sure I super dried his bottom, allowing him to go without diaper when feasible, and slather on a huge ton of aquafor.

Frequent diaper changes are an absolute must. Yeast infections need antibiotics, and if you are BF, make sure you are treated as well.

In place of aquafor, you can use vasoline, but, aquafor is much easier to apply, IMO.

I have never heard of aquafor, I think a lot of things changed since I had wee ones :D

carole
01-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Well it sure is a while since i had a wee one too, but my daughter had very sensitive skin, they told me to expose her bottom to the air for a very short time daily and leave her nappy off for little time as well, i found vaseline useless,but anything with zinc in it very good, you may well have to change her more often too.

moosmom
01-23-2008, 05:02 PM
When Amy was a baby, I used Desitin and Zinc (the thick white stuff). That was AFTER my father told me to use only baby powder (what the heck do guys know about diaper rash anyway???) He gave me this lecture about using Vaseline. "Do you KNOW what vaseline is???? Petroleum Jelly!!! You don't put PETROLEUM on your kids bottom." Boy was he way off!! :rolleyes:

caseysmom
01-23-2008, 05:06 PM
You have to be real careful with baby powder, it has been linked to lung problems and ovarian cancer.

carole
01-23-2008, 05:50 PM
I think vaseline is an ok barrier, but for kids with sensitive skin i found it of no use what so ever.

The thick white creams with zinc in them seemed to do the trick.

we used a cream called ungvita (sp) not sure on the spelling, but it is a pinkish colour and worked like a dream, i still use it for other skin problems.

lizbud
01-23-2008, 06:27 PM
I used desitin a lot on my babies when they got diaper rash.

That stuff really worked well with my babies. I'm glad it's still going
strong. Cleared up a rash in a day or two. I'd bath the area with a warm
water & then dry. I'd apply the creme on dry skin & it really helped.

sparks19
01-23-2008, 06:57 PM
I use desitin cream with every single diaper change... I slather it on and haven't had a problem with diaper rash yet... knock on wood. I really like Desitin.

But if the Dr gave you a prescription for her and it's not working I think you should go back and let the Dr know and see if maybe she needs something else...

I agree with letting her go diaper free for short periods during the day and make sure her bum is dry before applying any cream... change frequently and use Desitin with every change... and don't worry... you can't put too much on in my experience lol hubby makes fun of me cause I slather it on where he uses half what I do and rubs it in.... But so far so good.

I hope you can get it cleared up soon. it sucks for both of you.

Cataholic
01-24-2008, 08:31 AM
Petroleum jelly is the generic name, Vasoline is a particular 'brand' name, and Aquafor, a particular brand, is simply more emulsified petroleum jelly, which makes it easier to apply.

Any barrier will work- desitin, petroleum, aquafor...just slather it on. Desitin didn't do anything that the petroleum products did, and the normal petroleum product was cheaper. Aquafor, however, isn't cheap.

The petroleum based products DO discolour the clothing, so, be careful.

Cookiebaker
01-24-2008, 08:49 AM
naked time!!! before lydia became mobile, we gave her 45 mins of naked time in the evening -- it helps the area to dry out. think of a cut with a band aid on it all the time...its hard to heal in a constantly moist area. I hope her rash gets better soon!!

(Also, its expensive, but we found that Triple-Paste has been the most effective cream, clearing up one of Lydia's rashes in just hours...and we have tried them all!)

Pawsitive Thinking
01-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Sudocream is brilliant ;)

AdoreMyDogs
01-24-2008, 10:16 AM
I don't know if it'll work, but it's worth a try I suppose...I never really liked Desatin. I tried Burts Bees diaper cream and it smells lovely and it worked better then anything I had tried. Quinn only had a couple diaper rashes though, and they only happened when I switched diaper brands. For some reason, the only disposable diaper I can use on Quinn is Pampers, she gets diaper rash from the other disposables.

I also have a tube of pure Lanolyn that I used when I was so sore from nursing, and then AGAN sore when Quinn started teething (and biting while nursing) and I LOVE the pure lanolin cream for all sorts of sores and cuts. I've used it on one of Quinn's diaper rashes in the past and it was nice. It seemed to clear it up quick.

I hope your little cutie gets better soon. I bet that's just got to be ouchie :( Poor little thing :(

carole
01-24-2008, 12:09 PM
I guess it really depends how bad this nappy rash is, if she has real sensitive skin like my baby girl did, then none of petroleum based products worked for my baby,i needed something zinc based and found those to be much more effective,it seems desitin is mentioned alot here by other pter's so maybe that is your best bet, good luck with the healing, and hugs to your little princess, she is gorgeous.

BitsyNaceyDog
01-24-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm with the others on the naked time! It's so good to let them air out. You can lay her on a blanket, if it's not warm enough to be bare you can lay a blanket over here. Just not having the diaper clinging to her will help. I don't know what kind of diapers and wipes you use, but most are full of chemicals that could also be the irritating her. You may want to try another brand. I used Seventh Generation diapers (http://www.amazon.com/Seventh-Generation-Chlorine-48-Count-Packages/dp/B000C9QM10/ref=pd_bbs_6?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1201215683&sr=8-6) when Nathan was first born and I loved them. I've since gone to cloth diapers and I love them even more than I ever thought I would. I still use the Seventh Generation wipes (http://www.amazon.com/Seventh-Generation-Chlorine-Unscented-80-Count/dp/B000C7QYN8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1201215865&sr=8-1) and I doubt I'll ever use anything else. Nathan's never had a diaper rash and while I can't say for certain that these things had any thing to do with it, it certainly didn't hurt any.

Good luck with Delilah, I hope her bottom is all better really soon.

Medusa
01-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Ok, back in the dark ages when my son was a baby, my (then) husband was in the Air Force and we were so broke we were living off our fingernails. My son got sick and went into the base hospital. They cured him but sent him home w/the worst case of diaper rash I have ever seen. He even had open sores. I had no money and was out of Desitin and the only thing I had in the house was Milk of Magnesia. I figured it couldn't hurt, it's cool and soothing, so why not? I applied it and he immediately stopped crying and, I swear to you, within 48 hours the diaper rash was completely gone! I never went back to Desitin again. I applied it w/every diaper change after that. (It's also good if you have sores in your mouth. Take a swig and rinse it around like mouthwash and spit it out. Obviously, don't do that w/babies or small children but for adults, it's great.) Anyhow, give Milk of Magnesia a whirl. It's so cool and soothing.

molucass
01-25-2008, 08:33 PM
My mom used Boudreaux's Butt Paste on my niece, Eden when she was a baby, and older. It really seemed to help A LOT..
I don't know if its available everywhere..

Here's a link to it, and theres a number to call for locations near you.
Link (http://www.buttpaste.com/BLButtPaste.php)

My mom basically bought it because her maiden name is in the title, and thought it was humorous.. But it really did work, and my cousin started using it on their little boy.