PDA

View Full Version : Curious Cat Goes For A Ride

lizbud
01-23-2008, 09:45 AM
PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. (AP) - The last time cat-owner Kelly Levy saw her tiger-striped feline was before she took her husband to the airport. The 24-year-old came back to her house late Friday to find the bottom step, where Gracie Mae would usually be waiting, empty.

Levy tore the house apart looking for the 10-month-old tabby who had been spayed just days before. She and her dad took out bathroom tiles and part of a cabinet to check a crawl space and papered the neighborhood with "lost cat" signs.

Then she got a phone call.

"Hi, you're not going to believe this, but I am calling from Fort Worth, Texas, and I accidentally picked up your husband's luggage. And when I opened the luggage, a cat jumped out," Levy recalled the caller saying, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported.

Rob Carter, of Fort Worth, told The Dallas Morning News for its online edition Tuesday that he made it home with the suitcase.

"I went to unpack and saw some of the clothes and saw it wasn't my suitcase," Carter said. "I was going to close it, and a kitten jumped out and ran under the bed. I screamed like a little girl."

Carter said that he eventually was able to get the cat to come out from under the bed.

"In the morning, I got close enough to see its collar and the phone number on it," he said. "So I called the number and got a hold of the crying wife of the traveler."

Gracie Mae had crawled into Seth Levy's black suitcase undetected, been put through an X-ray machine, loaded onto an airplane, thrown onto a baggage claim conveyor belt and picked up by a stranger.

Carter delivered Gracie Mae to Seth Levy and the tabby made the 1,300-mile trip home on an $80 plane ticket Sunday night.

Carter said that he considered keeping the cat before he knew she had a home.

"If I couldn't have found a good home, I would have kept it," he said. "We were going to name it Suitcase."

finn's mom
01-23-2008, 09:57 AM
I saw that on the news, crazy cat! Suitcase would have been a great name. ;)

Laura's Babies
01-23-2008, 10:04 AM
What a story!! Poor kitty, wonder if he learned to stay out of suitcases now?

lizbud
01-23-2008, 10:33 AM
What a story!! Poor kitty, wonder if he learned to stay out of suitcases now?

This story reminded me of Edwina & Eddie climbing into Sara's suitcase
as she was preparing for a business trip. :)

Freedom
01-23-2008, 10:40 AM
How lucky she had her collar and ID tag!!! OMG! Can you imagine picking up the phone and hearing THAT news???

Sparkle is like that. I had a Kirby vacuum demo once years ago and when the guy was ready to leave I did a quick tail count (easy, I only had TWO in those days!) and made him open up his boxes again. Yup, there she was! Whew!

Randi
01-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Oh my, what a trip that poor kitty had! :eek: :( I hope the flight back was in the cabin!

Edwina's Secretary
01-23-2008, 11:02 AM
This story reminded me of Edwina & Eddie climbing into Sara's suitcase
as she was preparing for a business trip. :)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid20/p6c644303c58d180c11542557bfe17d43/fdb8cde5.jpg
Edwina trying to get to London....

Taz_Zoee
01-23-2008, 11:06 AM
LOL! I was literally laughing out loud. :D It's funny, but I feel sorry for the poor little guy being thrown around in that suitcase. Hopefully daddy didn't have too many "hard" items in there, like shoes and stuff.
That is an amazing story!

lvpets2002
01-23-2008, 11:26 AM
;) Poor wittle baby.. Such a rough ride.. So glad the baby got to go back home..

Taz_Zoee
01-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Bruce just sent me a link to this story and it has photos. But is it just me or does the cat in the first two pics not look like the same cat in the rest of the pics??
click (http://news.aol.com/story/_a/stowaway-cat-makes-it-back-home/20080123064809990001)

catmandu
01-23-2008, 03:01 PM
I AM SO GLAD THAT THAT CAT WILL BE GOING HOME. I DONT KNOW WAHT I WOULD DO IF A FOUND CAT WENT MISSING AS MOOSE ANGEL ONCE DID.
I WOULD BE FRANTIC CONVINCED THAT IF I WENT DOWNSTAIRS ONCE MORE THAT THEY WOULD BE THERE.
I HOPE THIS TEACHES THE LITTLE ONE NOT TO BE CURIOUS, BUT CURIOUSITY THAT NAME IS CAT!!!
:) :rolleyes: :cool:

Killearn Kitties
01-23-2008, 03:13 PM
:eek: Poor kitty! Is that not amazing?

I'm thinking of Barbara's luggage on her holiday last year, and how long it took her to get it back. I am thankful that Seth Levy wasn't flying BA.

lizbud
01-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Bruce just sent me a link to this story and it has photos. But is it just me or does the cat in the first two pics not look like the same cat in the rest of the pics??
click (http://news.aol.com/story/_a/stowaway-cat-makes-it-back-home/20080123064809990001)

Nope, it looks like the same cat in all the pictures to me. From different
angles maybe, but to me, they look like the same kitty. :) Anyhoo, I'm
happy she's home again.

DJFyrewolf36
01-23-2008, 09:14 PM

Thats because they are different cats...if you look at the text under the pictures the first two pix are of the cat in the story and the rest are of other cats that have had similar experences. ;)

Stories like this prove just how sneaky cats can be. We had to check boxes CONSTANTLY during the move to make sure we didn't pack a cat in the truck lol

Pawsitive Thinking
01-24-2008, 09:44 AM

Jet lag does some funny things

Felicia's Mom
01-24-2008, 02:00 PM
I hope the cat has a safe ride hope!