PDA

View Full Version : Diabetics: needle disposal

Freedom
01-22-2008, 09:34 AM
New item available for diabetics and others who have to take injections.

One problem Dad (and thus I) always have is, what do we do with the used needle when he uses one from his day pack when we are out?

Medport has something new out, which may be of interest to some of you.

http://www.medportllc.com/sharps.html

Just thought I'd pass this along.

Grace
01-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Very cool!! Thanks for the info.

smokey the elder
01-22-2008, 10:12 AM
My vet told me I could use a heavy bottle, like a 3 liter soda bottle, with a cap. He says that they are sturdier than the polyethylene sharps containers and a lot cheaper.

NoahsMommy
01-22-2008, 10:16 AM
What a great idea!! I'd never thought about what diabetics use while out...it would be hard, unless you recapped the needle, but it could uncap in a purse and you cannot throw them out - DANGEROUS and just not a good idea.

Thanks for showing this to us. Great idea!! :)

Freedom
01-22-2008, 11:14 AM
My vet told me I could use a heavy bottle, like a 3 liter soda bottle, with a cap. He says that they are sturdier than the polyethylene sharps containers and a lot cheaper.
Yes, that is FINE. We use an empty milk bottle, or an empty laundry bottle. This product is for when you are out (like in a restaurant). You test, take your shot and then .. . have a used syringe with a needle on the end to poke everything.

Probably not an issue for your doggie!

moosmom
01-22-2008, 11:16 AM
You need a sharps container which is what the medical profession uses. OR...an empty coffee can.

Sparklecoon
01-22-2008, 01:46 PM
When I was going through nursing school we were given hints to help diabetic clients out. Milk jugs should NEVER be used because the plastic is very thin which can lead to needle sticks. Any thing with thin plastic is a no-no. Tide and other detergent bottles work very well and most have them around the house already. When it comes to disposing of needles think thick.

molucass
01-22-2008, 10:29 PM
I don't know if anyone else is getting them, but around here (in Southeast Texas) in the public restrooms at a lot of places they are getting a sharps container to put your diabetic needles in. I've noticed them at several places.

AmberLee
01-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Fortunately, I'm okay w/the sharps containers, but they have SEVERAL other products that will help a lot. Thanks!!

Sevaede
01-23-2008, 12:28 AM
My stepmom just used a mason jar. :)

Giselle
01-23-2008, 01:07 AM
When you're out and about, why not carry around a film canister? They're pretty heavy plastic, if I recall correctly.