PDA

View Full Version : I got in a car accident today

IRescue452
01-21-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm alright and the other driver is too. I've never so much as gotten a traffic ticket and now I've totaled my car. I spun out of control in the snow and spun into the oncoming lane and hit the side of a truck head on. That was the scariest thing I've ever been through. I have liability insurace for the other vehicle, but mine is gone and wouldn't be worth as much as it would take to fix anyway. I had no idea what to do with insurance information or towing or any of that stuff. I'm not a car inclined person. I got a citation for having a vehicle out of control. Thankfully I have money saved up enough to cover the citation, towing, and even a used car; but that's half a year's work out the window in 5 seconds and its supposed to be used for paying for school and finding an apartment. And what's worse is I'm out of work now because they've been slow and finding another job takes a car because we don't have crap for bus lines. I never want to get into a car again, especially in winter.

AmberLee
01-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Thank God you are okay.

{{{gentle hugs}}}

I found bruises and scrapes the day after my accident that I'd been too pumped w/adrenalin to even notice on the day of... Have you friends or family to rally around you to help you cope?

caseysmom
01-21-2008, 06:16 PM
I have a friend who got caught on black ice and hit the side of a mountain and wrecked a brand new car and got a ticket too, that makes no sense to me how can you control a car if you start sliding on ice?

Laura's Babies
01-21-2008, 06:46 PM
My brother (who is a policeman from the south), his first winter in Oregan, hit black ice and wrecked his patrol car, they couldn't pick at him about it because it was the thrid one to wreck for the same reason in 3 weeks.. (Hummmm... wonder if HE got a ticket?)

So, anyway, don't feel bad about that, it happens to even COPS! I refuse to drive in it when I have to get off the boat up north! They send someone with experience to dirve me in that mess..

Karen
01-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Do call the insurance company, report the accident, etc. And we are glad you are okay, and no one was physically hurt. Do not feel bad about totalling the car - today's cars are MEANT to get totalled if necessary in order to protect the passengers inside - and it worked.

Freedom
01-21-2008, 07:06 PM
- today's cars are MEANT to get totalled if necessary in order to protect the passengers inside - and it worked.

Very good! Yes, the most important thing it that YOU are OK. The second most important thing is that the other people are OK. Stuff? It can be replaced. It sounds a bit corny, but it is true.

Check in with your insurance company, and plan on a nice relaxing bath to help soothe you through this stressful time. As someone mentioned, you may be achy tomorrow. That too will be minor and will pass. {{HUGS}}

IRescue452
01-21-2008, 07:45 PM
The accident was reported and all. I just hope I don't have to pay any doctor bills. I hit a GE worktruck, so they might have to send the guy to the doctor even though he's ok, some companies do. There was surprisingly very little damage to his truck considering mine was totalled. I'd expect my buick to destroy anything it touches since its such a heavy car. Its also front-end drive. I've never so much as fishtailed in this car and this was a full spin. Luckily I had my airbags deactivated, I don't want to know what I'd look like if those had gone off. I'm too short for airbags. I certainly can't contest the citation. Of course my vehicle was out of control, had I been in control I wouldn't have gotten into this mess. I'm sure it wasn't on the to-do list of this other guy either. He was really nice though, I hate to ruin his day but I was glad to have somebody calm and collected there with me.

ramanth
01-21-2008, 08:02 PM
So sorry to hear that! I understand the fear of driving in the winter after an accident. Been there twice!

*HUGS*

Chilli
01-21-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm happy to hear all is okay! Well, aside from your car, that is.
Like others have said, the important thing is that you and others are alright. It could have been much worse, I'm sure.
You don't like driving in the snow now? Come to Arkansas! Snow hasn't even touched the ground where I am so far this year. ;) (But believe me, I'd do anything for some snow... as long as I won't have to drive in it.)

Anyhow, I hope you get things sorted out job-wise and such.

anna_66
01-22-2008, 06:51 AM
Sorry to hear about your accident but I'm glad that everyone is alright.

I know what it's like to spin out of control, happened on the interstate to me one time. I was lucky there were no cars coming and I ended up hitting the guard rail with the side of the truck.
One of the scariest things I've had happen.

Hope your not in any pain today.

Medusa
01-22-2008, 09:15 AM
That's truly scary. It really shakes you up. A good hot bath w/Epsom salts is in order because the soreness will probably set in soon. Head it off at the pass. And try not to worry. I know, easier said than done but your insurance is in place to handle such things, so try to let it go. You're safe, you have insurance, a new, better car will come to you and so will employment. Just watch. :)

Felicia's Mom
01-23-2008, 02:01 PM
That's too bad about the accident. I am glad you are okay though.

lizbud
01-23-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm sorry about the accident but glad you are alright. I've been in
a few accidents but never got a ticket. If you slide on snow & crash,
it's an accident. :confused:

IRescue452
01-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks everybody for your support. At least I have PT. Nobody else I know seems to care at all about it. I haven't been able to sleep in the past two night because I've been reliving everything. I don't even know if I can get in a car again without crying and getting sick because I can see the car spinning. I've found a whole 3 cars in the area I can afford but I can't get to them because nobody is around to take me until nighttime. This whole week has become hell for me. I'm beginning to wish I hadn't had my seatbelt on.

caseysmom
01-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Oh please don't feel like that I am sorry you don't have more help dealing with this. Can someone drive one of the cars for sale to you? You could explain the situation.

anna_66
01-23-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm beginning to wish I hadn't had my seatbelt on.
Oh please don't say that. I hope things start looking up for you.
(((HUGS)))

Medusa
01-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Will your insurance company provide a rental for you until you get things resolved? If so, Enterprise will come and get you. I know, it happened to me a couple of years ago on the 4th of July weekend and, of course, no one was available to help me, even my so-called boyfriend at that time. Well, he was available, he just wouldn't get off his sorry ass. Why not check into it? Couldn't hurt.

IRescue452
01-23-2008, 10:08 PM
I don't have insurance to cover myself, just to cover the other driver. If it weren't so cold I could manage getting as close as possible with the bus and walking, but with -25F fast approaching I'm not looking forward to standing at a bus stop for an hours or even walking to it.With my feet and hands frostbitten it hurts to step out in this for more than a few minutes.