PDA

View Full Version : Buddy is Gone

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-21-2008, 06:05 PM
It has taken me quite a while to post this as I have been very upset about Buddys passing. About 2 weeks before Christmas, we came home to find Buddy had passed away. I left to my Moms in the afternoon and Buddy seemed fine. DH came home from work and let him out to potty and fed and watered him. He said Buddy ate and drank, and went to the bathroom just fine. He was throwing up for a couple days before he died, but we just thought it was from the raw meat we gave him. He had been having small seizures, maybe one each month. Nothing serious, just really short seizures. We were told by his previous owner that he was around 5-6 years old, but we think he was more than likely over 10.

I am almost certain he had a massive seizure, just by the way we found him - which I won't describe. We didn't want to have an autopsy done, what would be the point. We believe that the only reason our friend gave us Buddy was because he had a health condition, because he called and told us that he had to mail his vet records ASAP. It sounded like he wanted us to know what was wrong with Buddy. The week before he died, he started peeing all over the place, but he has always had accidents in the apartment - just never this frequent. We just figured that was a behavioural issue.

I guess we just never wanted to believe that Buddy was dying. And we both feel terrible about it. But I truly believe, the vet would have put him to sleep. We have just not had any luck with dogs - EVER - so that was the last dog we will have for a very long time, if ever. My oldest daughter saw Buddy laying there, and explaining it to her was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I had to tell her the truth though, as she took one look at him and knew he was dead.

I have never had one of my own dogs pass away, and now I know what people go through when they lose their best friend. I can now truly say "I know how you feel".

I have been very hard on myself and my Hubby over this. It has lead to some really nasty fights and arguments. I suffer from depression, and this made it 10 times worse. I couldn't get to sleep at night, and I took out all my emotional stress on Tim. He was just as upset as me, but I always fail to see that. I blamed it on him, of course - when it was nobodys fault. He still feels like a bag of crap thanks to me. It got to the point that Tim actually had to walk out of the apartment to get away from me. Who knew a dog could almost end a marriage?

R.I.P Buddy, you will be missed by all who knew you. I am sorry I wasn't there for you when you needed me.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/Crazy-Cat-Lover/Buddy%20July%202007/2007_06300014.jpg

Alysser
01-21-2008, 06:09 PM
I am really shocked to see this. I am so sorry to hear about, Buddy. What a happy little dog he was, we can tell from the picture. ((hugs)) going out to you at this time. :(

Freedom
01-21-2008, 06:53 PM
What a beautiful smile he has in that tribute photo. Buddy loved, and was loved, and truly that is what matters MOST. He surely wouldn't want you to be all caught up in this mind whirling endless search for answers. Only an autopsy 'may' have found you any answers. I repeat, MAY. You had some wonderful fun times with him and he with all of you.

It is a challenge, when they pass suddenly and unexpectedly, and when you find them as you did. Somehow, you need to think back to the BEFORE. Looking at photos may help, perhaps.

RIP Buddy. {{HUGS}} to all of you.

luvofallhorses
01-22-2008, 12:37 AM
:( I am so very sorry for your loss. it wasn't your guys fault - things like this happen when you least expect it. (((HUGS))) Rest in peace gorgeous Buddy. my thoughts are with all of you.

caseysmom
01-22-2008, 01:12 AM
Please don't torment yourself you gave buddy love before he went to the bridge and please don't close your heart to another dog.

RIP cutie, play hard at the bridge.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-22-2008, 01:46 AM
please don't close your heart to another dog.

As long as I am a renter, I feel it would be unfair to the dog. We had to give up a dog because we couldn't find a place to live. I don't ever want to go through that again. I would love to have another dog, but not until we own a house. We are moving again, to get back to the area we were forced to leave after the fire - while it is pet friendly, and we have a lease, I will still just be a cat owner.

Karen
01-22-2008, 02:16 AM
Place nice at the Rainbow Bridge Buddy!

Now, do not beat yourself up over not being there when he died. Knowing how often dogs try to hide symptoms and illness from us, he may have "waited" for you both to be out or been glad you didn't have to see that.

And know that he is not really gone, he is there with you, inside your heart, where his terrier grin will be when you most need it.

Reachoutrescue
01-22-2008, 04:40 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Buddy's passing. He looked like such a happy pup and I am sure he brought you and your family so much joy.

Please do not blame yourself. You loved him when his previous owner gave up on him....remember that. He loved you the same, I can see it in his eyes.

Run hard on that Rainbow Bridge, sweet Buddy....I am sure Lady-Baby is showing you the ropes.

joycenalex
01-22-2008, 04:46 AM
i am so sorry to read about your loss. buddys' picture shows an amazingly happy dog. please show all of these comments to your husband and daughter when you and they are ready. i have a well loved dog, alex, who has bad seizures. sometimes all the love and medical care cannot, willnot change this disease. please don't beat yourself or tim up. i know and truly believe that once the last seizure started, our bridge angels came for buddy. you cannot blame yourself, his terrier spirit was already crossing the bridge. play hard buddy, i know angel duke has already taken you to the gravy river and shown you where the peanut butter bone bush is. i am so sorry

anna_66
01-22-2008, 06:42 AM
My condolences on the loss of your Buddy.

pitc9
01-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Mt thoughts and prayers are with you & your family.

Please don't be so hard on yourself. Maybe he wanted to make the decison for you, and so that you didn't have to make it for him.

{{{{HUGS}}}

Play hard now Buddy.

:(

loveallfurryfriends
01-22-2008, 11:03 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. I am positive that Buddy knew he was loved! You gave Buddy a home in his last days, and you should feel good about that. Believe me, I know that you and your husband are going to second guess yourselves, but don't. Buddy loved you guys, and now he is no longer suffering. The next time you see him he will be strong and healthy. I will you keep your family in my thoughts, RIP Buddy, you will be missed by your family.

dukedogsmom
01-22-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm so very sorry. I can't imagine how difficult that must have been for you. Buddy looked like a very happy dog. Try not to doubt how you treated him. He had health problems you didn't know about. He obviously had a much better life with you. I hope you and your husband will be able to work through his passing. it's not goodbye, just till you meet again.