PDA

View Full Version : Bear is being neutered today!

kimlovescats
01-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers today! Will post when he's back home.

Thanks,
Kim

pitc9
01-21-2008, 11:21 AM
I'll be thinking of Bear today!!

cassiesmom
01-21-2008, 11:26 AM
fingers crossed in Chicago for sweet Bear ...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Bear/Doggies11108010.jpg

shais_mom
01-21-2008, 11:43 AM
fingers crossed for BEAR! :D

loveallfurryfriends
01-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Good Luck Bear :) :) :) :)

Pam
01-21-2008, 12:22 PM
We're all thinking of you today Bear and waiting for Kim's update. :)

Grace
01-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Keeping Bear in my thoughts and prayers. And adding a few for Miss Betina who must be missing him.

WELOVESPUPPIES
01-21-2008, 01:42 PM
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/marmadukechamp/m_118376221511837622151231.gif

Prayers for you Bear and waiting for your update.

4 Dog Mother
01-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Thoughts and prayers going out for Bear!

*LabLoverKEB*
01-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Good thoughts and prayers being sent your way for mister Bear!!!

kimlovescats
01-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Bear is finally back home and he is one sad puppy! :( Why in the world don't they give dogs pain medication after a neuter???? He is wimpering in pain and will calm quite a bit when I pet him, but not completely. They had to put a huge e-collar on him, and he hates that stupid thing. He has to keep it on for 10 days if he continues to try and lick his sutures! :eek: This should be interesting.

I just want my happy big boy back, I feel so bad for him! His bum looks awful, it has to be SO painful! :(

Grace
01-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Can you call them first thing in the morning and ask about pain meds?

Poor baby - he must feel so bad :(

kimlovescats
01-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Can you call them first thing in the morning and ask about pain meds?

Poor baby - he must feel so bad :(

He seems to stop if I am right beside him, maybe a big part of it is his "feelings" are hurt! I feel so bad that I can't explain to him WHY he has to feel bad! :( If he still acts this way in the morning, I will definitely be calling and demanding pain meds!

Scooter's Mom
01-21-2008, 08:16 PM
I am so sorry they didn't send Bear home with any pain meds! My vet's office is wonderful - the pain package is included in the spay/neuter. Jingle (my kitty) got spayed today, too. So she and Bear share something special!

Hugs to Bear, hope he feels better really soon.

kimlovescats
01-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Bear doesn't seem to be in as much pain, he is still groggy, and sleeping it off quite a bit. We spread him a blanket out beside my bed where he loves to sleep every night! Here are a couple of pics I just took of him.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Bear/BearNeuter12108001.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Bear/BearNeuter12108002.jpg

K9karen
01-21-2008, 08:48 PM
:eek: Re: last shot.. if looks could kill....

It's certainly no fun having "the boyz" snipped off. Poor guy. I don't recall Mr Cody being in any pain at all. I used Ascription..aspirin coated w/Maalox per my vet.
Feel Better Care Bear!

Grace
01-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Poor thing - I wonder if he feels embarassed having to wear that collar? Has Betina seen him yet?

kimlovescats
01-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Poor thing - I wonder if he feels embarassed having to wear that collar? Has Betina seen him yet?

She saw him as he came in the front door, but we didn't let her bother him. I know she has missed him! I want to make sure his soreness is gone before they get back together. She loves curling up under his tail so much, I don't want her to upset him by accidentally hurting sore tissue!

Genny
01-21-2008, 09:10 PM
sure i'll say a prayer for him :)

jazzcat
01-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Poor big guy, I sure hope he feels better quickly.

cassiesmom
01-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Awwww, Bear, sweets! I'm glad you're back from the doctor.

jennielynn1970
01-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Awe... the look on that boy's face! Poor thing!! I wonder why some vets don't give pain meds??? It seems kind of cruel if they are going to be in a lot of pain.

BTW.. I love his blanket! :D I used to have that exact comforter a couple of years ago, it was so bright and cheery! The sheets that came with it were so bright and cheery too... bright green with white flowers I think.

anna_66
01-22-2008, 06:47 AM
Awwww....would you look at that face! Poor guy, he looks just absolutely miserable:(

I hope he's feeling better today.

(((HUGS))) to you Bear!

pitc9
01-22-2008, 07:06 AM
Oh MY! :eek: Just look at that face!
The poor thing!! :(

Sending you get better soon vibes Mr. Bear!

kimlovescats
01-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Just wanted to let you know that Bear had a good sleep-filled night and is doing better this morning. We gave him just a few bites of food before bed last night and he kept it down. He drank some water as well. He's already eaten some this morning as well and went out in the backyard to pee. You should have seen Henna and Coco when they first saw him in his collar! OH MY GOSH, they barked and stood back like they'd seen a martian! :D Poor Bear is not happy with his new headpiece, I can't wait until we can get rid of that thing!

4 Dog Mother
01-22-2008, 08:59 AM
I am glad that Bear is doing well after his surgery. Poor baby! My dogs hate e-collars and I haven't been able to keep one on them yet for more than a couple of hours. 10 days - It will be a wonder if Bear can last that long!

kimlovescats
01-22-2008, 09:11 AM
I am glad that Bear is doing well after his surgery. Poor baby! My dogs hate e-collars and I haven't been able to keep one on them yet for more than a couple of hours. 10 days - It will be a wonder if Bear can last that long!

Yea, I'm wondering that too! I think surely after the wound heals good for a few days on the outside, then he will be fine? I thought licking it actually helped to heal it, you know, dogs lick their wounds? I know that Gretta (female Doxie) pulled her stitches out the first day by biting them, but when Coco just licked hers, there wasn't any harm done. This is the first boy dog I've had in a long time that wasn't already neutered when I got him. Anyone have any input here?

Taz_Zoee
01-22-2008, 09:41 AM
All I know is when we had Zoee fixed we only kept her collar on her when we could not watch her, like while we were sleeping or not home. Luckily Bruce works from home, so she didn't have to have it on ALL the time. But she was pretty good about not bothering it. Which was surprising since when we first got her she would always "clean" herself after coming in from a potty break.
Do you think you could leave the collar off if you are home with him, and just make sure he doesn't bother it?

Pawsitive Thinking
01-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Tobey didn't have a collar on when he was "done" and was okay. Maybe you could just put in on Bear if he shows too much "interest" in biting his stitches.

Kiss that lovely face for me please

cassiesmom
01-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Yay, Bear! I hope you will feel a LOT better soon. *smooches

kimlovescats
01-22-2008, 10:15 AM
As I stated earlier, I don't have much experience in the male dog neuter thing. I'm wondering if because he is bigger and older (not neutered as a pup) then maybe he required more sutures and it was a bit more complicated? I would love to take his collar off and watch him, because he is basically underfoot all the time anyway! ;) I just don't want him to think that he has been "bad" if I have to put it back on. He immediately started licking himself as soon as the tech brought him out to us. So, she immediately assumed he needed a collar. None of my male cats ever have sutures, just females for obvious reasons. Are stitches "normal" with all male dogs, even when they are neutered as little pups?

Sorry so many questions, but I've mostly always had girl doggies.

Kim

Pawsitive Thinking
01-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Stitches are quite normal

ChrisH
01-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Bob didn't do at all well after his op. I took the collar off because he just sat in the hall for hours, not moving, wouldn't take a treat (if you knew Bob and food ... well..) drink, or anything, but it turned out to be a real bad move. He licked and licked and licked and it swelled up like a football. Was told to bathe it with an antiseptic which wasn't very successful as he was so sore and wouldn't let me near. Like Bear, he didn't have any pain pills, but, after taking advice, I did give him half a paracetmol which seemed to help for a while. It did eventually go down and everything was ok, but what an ordeal.

Making it worse, for me, was during this time my dear boy bit me quite badly. Taking him out for a walk his lead got tangled around his back leg and as I went to untangle he got my hand. Poor boy must have been hurting so much to do that.

So, I guess my advice would be to leave the collar on. :D

p.s. He was two years old at the time.

kimlovescats
01-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Bob didn't do at all well after his op. I took the collar off because he just sat in the hall for hours, not moving, wouldn't take a treat (if you knew Bob and food ... well..) drink, or anything, but it turned out to be a real bad move. He licked and licked and licked and it swelled up like a football. Was told to bathe it with an antiseptic which wasn't very successful as he was so sore and wouldn't let me near. Like Bear, he didn't have any pain pills, but, after taking advice, I did give him half a paracetmol which seemed to help for a while. It did eventually go down and everything was ok, but what an ordeal.

Making it worse, for me, was during this time my dear boy bit me quite badly. Taking him out for a walk his lead got tangled around his back leg and as I went to untangle he got my hand. Poor boy must have been hurting so much to do that.

So, I guess my advice would be to leave the collar on. :D

p.s. He was two years old at the time.

THANK YOU! I think I will at least leave in on a few more days and give it a chance to heal up and be less "red"! It's for his best to have the collar on, though he pouts and makes Mommy feel really awful! ;)

Freedom
01-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Chaplin was neutered in December, he had stitches; the dissolvable type. No ecollar or pain meds.

Call the vet and ask what dose aspirin to give him. Dogs can have aspirin, a little bit. Not cats.

kimlovescats
01-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Chaplin was neutered in December, he had stitches; the dissolvable type. No ecollar or pain meds.

Call the vet and ask what dose aspirin to give him. Dogs can have aspirin, a little bit. Not cats.

These aren't the dissolvable sutures either. I have to take him back in 10 days to have them removed. I don't think I like this vet that this rescue uses! :rolleyes:

Kfamr
01-22-2008, 11:32 AM
I've seen a lot of cases where pain medications aren't given. Pain medications will make them feel as if they can run and romp around again, which they shouldn't be doing with sutures. :)

kimlovescats
01-22-2008, 12:05 PM
I've seen a lot of cases where pain medications aren't given. Pain medications will make them feel as if they can run and romp around again, which they shouldn't be doing with sutures. :)

Aha! Never thought of it that way, although pain meds put me out for like a week! :p That makes sense, thanks for the info, Kay!

kallisto4529
01-23-2008, 12:58 AM
Awwww poor guy!!! Bless your heart I know you must be beside yourself, but he will be ok. Reilly had his done but his was done with a laser only had like two stiches and they disolved. Mousse when he was alive we had to have him fixed at about 9 yrs old and he had several stiches but he did not have to have a collar we just watched him very carefully. When Reilly had his done they did not give pain meds but they did say I could give him baby asprin or an adult asprin to help with any discomfort. They also had to give me a tranquilizer for him because where he had the laser it was like he never had any surgery, he was bouncing off the walls...lol
Bear sure hope you feel better buddy, have mom give you some lovin from me, and Reilly says it will get better, you won't even miss them...lol

Pam
01-23-2008, 06:07 AM

Good point. That makes a lot of sense. I don't remember Ripley coming home with any pain meds either. Bear you look so pitiful. I hope your *snip* site heals real quick.

molucass
01-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Our Chihuahua Deebo was neutered in November I think.. They gave him some pain meds before we left the vets office, but didn't send any home. He didn't have an ecollar on either.

He did really really well. I was suprised because he is usually a big wuss about everything.. You can look at him funny and he will whine.

I hope Bear starts feeling better soon! :)

Rachel
01-23-2008, 10:58 AM
How's the Bear Man doing today? Sure hope the after effects of surgery have abated.

kimlovescats
01-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Bear is doing great today! Perfectly normal except for his "conehead"! :rolleyes: He's been trying really hard to convince me that I should take it off now, but as long as he's tolerant, I will leave it another day or two. Of course, I might have to repaint all of my walls, especially down the hallway! :p

cassiesmom
01-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Hang in there, sweet Bear. Please ask your mom to hug you for me. I cannot wait till you are all better and Betina snuggles on your tail again.

cassiesmom
01-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Kim, how is Bear today? Did he get to have his collar taken off? Could you give him (AND Henna, CoCo, AnnaBelle, Dottie, Betina and Gretta) some petting for me... But he's just the cutest Bear around!

cassiesmom
01-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Kim, how is da Bear today?

In Chicago you can't say the word "bear" - it has to be da bear, as in the football team... da Bears, and the basketball team... da Bulls. So, in my mind, he's Da Bear! Hi, sweet Bear! (wave, hughughughug)

Logan
01-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Kim, I hope Bear is doing fine. I haven't had a male neutered since Butter (kitty) was neutered and I've never had to use the cone. I hope he is doing great. What a beautiful additon to your family!!!! I still miss Kenny. :(

Logan