PDA

View Full Version : Tragic Story This Morning

lizbud
01-21-2008, 10:35 AM
If there are people at Rainbow Bridge, I know this poor lady is there.

Woman Found Frozen To Death Outside Home
Police: Woman Locked Herself Out Of Home

POSTED: 11:18 am EST January 21, 2008

LACROSSE, Ind. -- An 84-year-old woman who often fed wild animals outside her rural home died of hypothermia and exposure after locking herself out.

Mary Labounty was found Sunday near her back door, said John Sullivan, chief deputy coroner for LaPorte County.

Labounty's body was discovered by a friend who often took her on errands, he said. It appeared she had been dead for less than 24 hours, he said.

Labounty apparently locked herself out of her house and when she tried the latch on the back door, it snapped, probably from the cold, and cut her hand, Sullivan said.

She then lay down next to her golden retriever, likely in an effort to keep warm, he said.

The dog appeared healthy, he said. The woman's friend took possession of the dog.

LaBounty often rose at 4:30 a.m. to feed raccoons, deer and possums behind her house, investigators said.

Labounty's nearest neighbor is about a mile away, Sullivan said.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

Pawsitive Thinking
01-21-2008, 10:40 AM
That is so sad - bless her

critter crazy
01-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Oh My!! That brought tears to my eyes!!Such a sad story! Bless her heart. Such a horrible way to go, but at least now she with all her animal friends, and they are all warm and happy!

Felicia's Mom
01-21-2008, 10:55 AM
May she R.I.P.

Freedom
01-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Oh dear. I feel for the Golden, as well. Poor sweet thing. RIP dear lady.

kimlovescats
01-21-2008, 12:11 PM
That is heartbreaking! :(

Pam
01-21-2008, 12:20 PM
That is one of the saddest things I have ever read. :( I just can't even imagine how she must have suffered in the cold and the thoughts going through her mind, knowing full well that she would probably never be rescued. That just breaks my heart.

jackie
01-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Poor lady.

RIP

Karen
01-21-2008, 12:25 PM
I will prefer to think of her falling pleasantly asleep, warm next to her beloved dog, and waking up in heaven.

From my Aunt Zsa, who died this December of Parkinsons and other illnesses, I learned ALWAYS tuck your cell phone in your pocket when you go outside, even just "for a minute" in bad weather. She lay for over and hour on ice outside her house one time a few years ago, as she had fallen and her arthritis made it impossible to get up, and her cell phone was ten feet away - inside on the kitchen table. She made me promise to always take mine, so even when I am just out shoveling, it is in my pocket (in a ziplock, so it doesn't get wet). By the following winter, by the way, Aunt Zsa had moved South to her daughter's house in Tennessee.

Cinder & Smoke
01-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Hey BOWZ ~ Ya got a copy on us?

Loud & Clear, Guys - was'sup?

Did y'all get that Nice Ole Lady, Ms. Labounty frum Lacrosse, up there atta Bridge?

OH YEAH ... God called a Gold Alert fur her --- that's when ebberbuddy onna Bridge turns out
to welcome a 2-Legger that has a Heart of Gold an Did Good down there
onna ole Durt Ball.

The Wild Child Gang put on a nice Native Dance Routine featurin allua Native Wild Critters
she's been feedin all those years. We got her welcomed in a BIG way!

And she's got her new Bridge Job - Ms. L is da Managerette of da Native Critters' Deli -
She's cookin up sum great stuff fur allua Wild Childs.

<grinn> Thanks Bowz - nice *yappin* wiff ya!
Ya KNOW how much We an Dad miss ya!!
Dad sendz his Love!

/s/ the Prayer Pups

Taz_Zoee
01-21-2008, 02:48 PM
LES :(
RIP Mary Labounty.
Now the bridge animals are lucky to have you there.

lizbud
01-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Hey BOWZ ~ Ya got a copy on us?

Loud & Clear, Guys - was'sup?

Did y'all get that Nice Ole Lady, Ms. Labounty frum Lacrosse, up there atta Bridge?

OH YEAH ... God called a Gold Alert fur her --- that's when ebberbuddy onna Bridge turns out
to welcome a 2-Legger that has a Heart of Gold an Did Good down there
onna ole Durt Ball.

The Wild Child Gang put on a nice Native Dance Routine featurin allua Native Wild Critters
she's been feedin all those years. We got her welcomed in a BIG
way!

And she's got her new Bridge Job - Ms. L is da Managerette of da Native Critters' Deli -
She's cookin up sum great stuff fur allua Wild Childs.

<grinn> Thanks Bowz - nice *yappin* wiff ya!
Ya KNOW how much We an Dad miss ya!!
Dad sendz his Love!

/s/ the Prayer Pups

LES, big time here. :( :(

Phred, thanks for the prayer chat to RB.

Laura's Babies
01-21-2008, 06:53 PM
God Belss her dear sweet soul! She has a very special place up there with the animals she cared for that went before her.

Twisterdog
01-21-2008, 09:08 PM
That is very sad.

As for carrying a cell phone all the time, I agree. It makes perfect sense.

But, getting most people in their 80's to do is so is practically impossible. I know this first hand, because I have an almost daily discussion of this with my parents, age 78 and 83. My dad has a cell phone, which is plugged into the charger in the spare bedroom 99% of the time. My mom acts like I suggested she carry a loaded rifle and a porcupine around in her pocket every time I mention the words "cell phone".

DJFyrewolf36
01-22-2008, 01:10 AM
How sad...RIP dear Mrs. Labounty

caseysmom
01-22-2008, 01:22 AM
RIP I hope your passing was peaceful, and of course you have peace now.

pitc9
01-22-2008, 03:59 PM
I will prefer to think of her falling pleasantly asleep, warm next to her beloved dog, and waking up in heaven.

You said it perfectly Karen!!

lizbud
01-22-2008, 06:31 PM
I saw a picture of this lady's dog yesterday. It is a beautiful red Golden
like our own PT Keegan. She has a home with the woman's friend.

jennielynn1970
01-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Oh how sad! And no neighbors nearby or anything?? I'm glad she's at peace and in no pain.