lizbud
01-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Woke up today to no heat. It's freezing outside & 50 degrees inside. :eek:

Furnace guy was just here and got it working again, but it's on it's last
legs. Furnace is over 13 yrs old. :( I've set up an appointment to talk
to a sales person about choosing a new furnace & I have no idea how
much they cost. When they refuse to discuss the cost of a new unit,
you just know it's going to be expensive :( All I need is just a ball park
figure. Anyone replace a gas furnace lately? Have any idea?

kuhio98
01-21-2008, 10:21 AM
We had to replace the gas-fired boiler (for a hot water system) in the house we just bought. It was original to the house (built in 1981)! It cost just around $6,000. :(

If you have forced-air, it would probably be cheaper.

Freedom
01-21-2008, 11:08 AM
When I bought this house 5 years ago, it had the "original" gas furnace. The house was built in 1964. A 30 year old furnace???? Yup, it sure did look like it, too, lol.

We got one through Sears. But we got a whole system: new furnace, central air, and accessory whole house humidifier. New electronic temperature control thermostat. THAT whole thing ran about $6000, 5 years back. WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!

You can get the gas furnace through Home Depot as well, I believe.

Make sure you have the City Inspector view and sign off on the installation; we don't want to be reading about you and family dying from faulty installation which leads to carbon monoxide build up in the home! Just had a family of 3 die of that here in Providence, RI, 2 weeks back. So sad.

And be sure to put new batteries in your carbon monoxide detector right after the install is completed, just in case. (If you don't have one, GET ONE!!!) Heck put in new batteries today!

As it IS working (all be it not too well) take some time and get 3 estimates. Talking with different companies you learn SO much! And things have changed since you put that one in 13 years back.

Also check with your gas company. Most offer a rebate if you select an Energy Star rated unit. Not all of them are efficient. If I remember, we had a choice from Sears, you know the "Good Better Best" type of thing. Only the BEST qualified for the rebate. The "GOOD" one is only 80% efficient, and you will definitely lose the savings in yearly heating costs over the life of the unit. You should be able to find a rebate program from you gas company on line if they have one. Check their web site!

Karen
01-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Do check right away with your Gas company. We had an ad in yesterday's paper offering something like a $400 coupon for a new gas furnace - from Nstar, our gas provider! Thankfully, our is running nicely. And all of you with your "old" furnaces from 1981, 1964 ... Ha!

When we bought this house, the furnace in it was, by Dad's guess, original to the house. It was certainly a coal-burner, converted over to an oil-burner. Our house was built in or around ........ 1890!

By the way, it is still in the basement, rolled over to the side. It is too big to fit through the cellar door, and too heavily built cast iron to be "broken up" for removal. The people who replaced it went through three diamond-edged blades just to cut it off from the pipe - then had to send one guy out to buy more blades. They had quite literally never seen anything quite like it. It, by the way, worked, until we helped Bertha move into a nursing home. I think that once it realized she was not coming back, it waited until bitter cold set in, then I had to go over every day, before we even owned the house, to go down to the basement and hit the reset switch so the pipes wouldn't freeze.

Rachel
01-21-2008, 03:30 PM
One of our friends just replaced his gas furnace and it was over $5,161. That was supposedly with a 10% discount because he took our a one year *service plan* for $250.00. He has a three bedroom ranch house which probably is around 1800 sq. ft. or a little more.

I'd be inclined to deal with a local HVAC company. Can you get some referrals from your neighbors on who they have used. Get more than one bid.

lizbud
01-21-2008, 04:42 PM
One of our friends just replaced his gas furnace and it was over $5,161. That was supposedly with a 10% discount because he took our a one year *service plan* for $250.00. He has a three bedroom ranch house which probably is around 1800 sq. ft. or a little more.

I'd be inclined to deal with a local HVAC company. Can you get some referrals from your neighbors on who they have used. Get more than one bid.

Thanks Rachel. This is what I was hoping for, an exact figure. My house
is only 2 bedroom & full basement and the lot & house are on the small side.
I know prices differ according to house size as well as brands, etc.

I was imagining myself passing out with the mention of a 10,000 price. ;)

Freedom
01-21-2008, 05:05 PM

Just be sure your warranty is from the manufacturer. The loval HVAC xompany that did our install, through Sears, was a family business, around for 2 generations. He died, none of his kids were interested, and the company is gone now. :( Fortunately it doesn't matter to us in terms of our system, it is all through Sears.

Yeah, definitely get multiple bids.

lizbud
01-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Just be sure your warranty is from the manufacturer. The loval HVAC xompany that did our install, through Sears, was a family business, around for 2 generations. He died, none of his kids were interested, and the company is gone now. :( Fortunately it doesn't matter to us in terms of our system, it is all through Sears.

Yeah, definitely get multiple bids.

I would love to get lots of estimates but, I don't thing I'll have that luxury.
The furnace quit again. :( :( Service guy is on the way back over. It's
gonna be a long night. :mad:

gini
01-21-2008, 08:21 PM
When my original (1913) gravity furnace was destroyed when I had the flood in my basement - the insurance companies furnace man gave me a bid that was right out of this world. The insurance company used his figures as the basis on which to pay my claim.

It turned out to be a true god-send, because I had all asbestos duct work which had to be removed by a special team with a permit. The insurance company had a bid of $3,000.00 to do that. It cost me $800.00 including the permit.

All new duct work throughout the house - a newly created vent in a small back bedroom - the furnace and airconditioning unit cost $9,600.00 including the removal of the asbestos duct work.

I thought it was a lot of money - but compared to what the insurance company estimated it would cost - it was a bargain and I had enough to add the new electrical for the airconditioning.

I considered myself very fortunate when it was all said and done.

I hope your man can get your furnace back on for you tonight!:eek:

Twisterdog
01-21-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm not sure exactly how old my furnace is, but it's avacado green, so that tells me "made in the 70's". Remember those lovely "earth tones" of the 70's, fellow oldsters? Appliances, shag carpet, dishes ... all in "harvest gold", "avocado" or the lovely "coppertone". :rolleyes:

So I'm sure it's 30ish years old, and still going strong. Thankfully.

My friend just got a new furnace/central air, and it was around $6000 too. Seems to be the norm.

Logan
01-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Liz, ours pooped out in the fall of last year. It was a gas pac (gas heat, electric air). I think it was close to 20 years old and was not worth repairing. We heat the downstairs with that (approximately 1700 sq ft) and it was $3500 to replace it. We got a Goodman.

Good luck! Hope you can be warm soon!

Logan

smokey the elder
01-22-2008, 10:17 AM
I don't have gas, I have oil, but I have an Energy Kinetics System 2000 that I paid 5K installed with hot water inline 6 years ago. EK systems are also made in gas burning varieties. They are expensive, but they are also overbuilt and will last a long time.

Here's their web site: http://www.energykinetics.com/s2000.html

Freedom
01-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Lizbud hasn't posted today yet. Wonder if hey froze overnight, or moved out to a friend's, relative or hotel?

lizbud
01-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Lizbud hasn't posted today yet. Wonder if hey froze overnight, or moved out to a friend's, relative or hotel?

Still no heat but, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new unit. They
will install it tomorrow. On reinspection, my furnace is 15 (1993) instead
of 13 yrs old, so a new unit is the better way to go.

The cost does seem pretty reasonable considering. After discounts for
Senior citizen, service maintanence agreement and a sales coupon,
total price is 3,500. :) I can't wait. Do you know how hard it is to type
with frozen fingers? :eek:

p.s. Service guy just droppd off 2 space heaters to use till they come
back tomorrow with the new furnace. :D Thanks everyone for the help
and concern.

caseysmom
01-22-2008, 12:51 PM
I was going to suggest space heaters also, I just couldn't get warm the other night even with the heat blasting so I turned one of those on.

Edwina's Secretary
01-22-2008, 12:52 PM
There is a furnance union. In their contract they are required to quit functioning at the most inconvenient time.

The first house I owned...the furnace went out during a below-zero-cold- snap. I don't remember what the problem was but I do remember it was a crack in something that made it dangerous to use. So I keep the heat below 60 until I could get a new one installed. I do not remember what I paid.

The next time I had furnace problems (two houses and one marriage later) it was on Christmas Eve when all my family were staying with us. At least there were plenty of people to huddle together and share body heat :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) . The repairman came as we were sitting down to eat. I remember we invited him to join us.

Sorry I don't remember prices. My mind tends to shut out details of painful situations.... :D ;) :D

lizbud
01-22-2008, 04:34 PM
I was going to suggest space heaters also, I just couldn't get warm the other night even with the heat blasting so I turned one of those on.

Aren't those heaters neat. You really get a lot of heat out of them.
As long as you sit in one place, it feels great. :)

lizbud
01-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Sorry I don't remember prices. My mind tends to shut out details of painful situations.... :D ;) :D

Good story about Christmas eve, with no heat but the relatives. :)

Oh, and I know my whole experience will one day be only a bad dream. :)

Rachel
01-22-2008, 05:17 PM
. On reinspection, my furnace is 15 (1993) instead
of 13 yrs old, so a new unit is the better way to go.

Yikes - our furnace has to be 22 years old. It's still cranking out the heat but on Saturday (which was really cold) it didn't seem that the temp. ever got to what we set it at. All I could think of was whether it was on the verge of going out.

Pile them two dogs in bed with you tonight (and a couple of cats) to keep warm.

lizbud
01-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Yikes - our furnace has to be 22 years old. It's still cranking out the heat but on Saturday (which was really cold) it didn't seem that the temp. ever got to what we set it at. All I could think of was whether it was on the verge of going out.

Pile them two dogs in bed with you tonight (and a couple of cats) to keep warm.

We've had a long streak of those days where the furnace seems to run constantly & that's what finally did this one in. :( Yes, the pups always
keep me warm, bless their furry little selfs.

Rachel
01-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Hey, Liz. Have you cranked that new furnace up yet?

lizbud
01-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Hey Rachel. :) Yes, they had it up and running by lunch time and
I'm so happy it's all over with. My sensitive soul, Smokey, was traumatized
by having so many strange men coming & going all day. :( He & Maggie
are napping right now. :)

Thanks for all the help & advice. I really appreciated it. :)

anna_66
01-23-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm so glad to hear it's all taken care of and you now have heat:D What a crappy time for the heater to quit :rolleyes: