PDA

View Full Version : question!? :)

Genny
01-20-2008, 09:17 PM
i was wondering do any of you deer hunt?? i don't have anything against you if you do because i know people eat deer meat and some actually prefer it better than chicken/beef. but i'm asking cause i just found out today that the guy i have been seeing deer hunts..it really shocked me and well, you know it kinda upset me..i haven't ever done it and neither has anyone in my family so it just shocked me i guess..i know i can't ask him to stop doing it but what would you say to him? should i let him know how i feel about it or just act like it doesn't bother me? well thanks if you have any suggestions... :cool: :rolleyes:

Taz_Zoee
01-20-2008, 09:24 PM
My uncle and cousin have deer hunted as long as I can remember. While I don't like it (or all the deer head mounted in their house) what can I say?
I say as long as he doesn't ask you to come along on a trip, just let it be. And if you don't feel comfortable with him talking about it around you, just let him know it bothers you and ask him to not talk about it in front of you.

Medusa
01-20-2008, 09:38 PM
I dated a deer hunter and I told him how I felt about it. He said that he respected my feelings but he clearly didn't because he talked about it A LOT, even though I asked him repeatedly not to. I'm a meat eater, albeit not venison, so I can't say much w/out sounding like a hypocrite but the deer head on the wall to me is disturbing and it's also very revealing. He said that he deer hunts because the deer population is out of control and he's "harvesting" the deer. If that's the case, then there's no need to mount a deer head on the wall. We could never agree on the subject and we broke up, that being one of the main reasons. Good luck.

Genny
01-20-2008, 09:50 PM
My uncle and cousin have deer hunted as long as I can remember. While I don't like it (or all the deer head mounted in their house) what can I say?
I say as long as he doesn't ask you to come along on a trip, just let it be. And if you don't feel comfortable with him talking about it around you, just let him know it bothers you and ask him to not talk about it in front of you.

yeah, i guess that's what i'll do and let him know right away that i never want to talk about it. and if he respects how i feel then maybe everything will be alright..thanks ;)

Genny
01-20-2008, 09:54 PM
I dated a deer hunter and I told him how I felt about it. He said that he respected my feelings but he clearly didn't because he talked about it A LOT, even though I asked him repeatedly not to. I'm a meat eater, albeit not venison, so I can't say much w/out sounding like a hypocrite but the deer head on the wall to me is disturbing and it's also very revealing. He said that he deer hunts because the deer population is out of control and he's "harvesting" the deer. If that's the case, then there's no need to mount a deer head on the wall. We could never agree on the subject and we broke up, that being one of the main reasons. Good luck.
wow that was really rude of him after you told him how you felt. i also eat meat, actually i love almost anything with chicken in it..but i have never eaten deer. i have always just loved them..
i don't like the 'heads mounted on the walls either' i understand if people eat them but i absolutely don't see any reason in mounting their heads on a wall..

Karen
01-20-2008, 09:59 PM
We have discussed this here before. Basically, the choice we have created as a society is that we either encourage deer hunting, or we watch deer, which are overpopulated in many areas, starve to death by the side of the road. We eliminated all their major predators, so there is no check on their population. They are causing major devastation to the entire forest ecosystems in some areas. And people are up in arms about coyotes invading the suburbs, imagine how'd they'd feel if we let wolves - the deer's natural predator that we hunted to the brink of endangerment, lose there? We created the problem, and hunting is one way to at least curb the population. While being shot is not a pleasant way to die, frankly, I'd prefer that to slow and painful starvation if given a choice.

Have you seen starving deer trying to graze 10 feet away from the carcass of another who had died of starvation, by the side of a highway? I have, and will never forget it.

Taz_Zoee
01-20-2008, 10:39 PM
While I completely understand what Karen is saying....that doesn't mean I have to like deer hunting or want to hear about it.
I just learned, at Thanksgiving, that the same uncle that deer hunts has started a business to kill coyotes for people. Again, while I understand why he is doing it, I still don't want to hear about or have to agree with it. It's not like I'm going to stop him from doing it.
That's just my opinion. :)

For the record: I do eat meat. In fact I grew up where we butchered our own cows and pigs. We had freezers full of meat all the time. And I used to watch them do the butchering. Maybe the movie Bambi is what makes it different for me....lol.

Twisterdog
01-20-2008, 11:34 PM
First, the deer population is VERY out of control. That is a fact proven time and time again. There are FAR more deer in this country now than there have EVER been. They are indeed starving, ruining crops, being killed by cars, etc. Not to mention causing human deaths in vehicle/deer accidents as well.

Second, IMO, if one eats meat of any sort, one has NO room whatsoever to criticize hunters. I personally don't hunt, BTW. If you had a hamburger for lunch, someone killed a cow on your behalf. Or a chicken, turkey, fish, etc. Just because you didn't personally pull the trigger, the animal died to feed you nonetheless. There is NO difference in a deer dying to feed someone than a cow dying to feed someone. And, actually, at least the deer theoretically had a good, free life for some time before it died. Domestic food animals do not.

As far as deer head mounted on the wall, I personally think it's ugly and tacky. But, if you kill the animal, why not use all of it you can? If you like that style, I see nothing really wrong with the deer head ending up on the wall as opposed to ending up in the landfill.

The caveat is, of course, that the deer is actually eaten. I do NOT condone "trophy hunting" in any way. Killing just to kill is wrong, no matter what is killed. But killing to eat is the natural way of the omnivore, carnivore, predator.

Sparklecoon
01-21-2008, 12:57 AM
We have discussed this here before. Basically, the choice we have created as a society is that we either encourage deer hunting, or we watch deer, which are overpopulated in many areas, starve to death by the side of the road. We eliminated all their major predators, so there is no check on their population. They are causing major devastation to the entire forest ecosystems in some areas. And people are up in arms about coyotes invading the suburbs, imagine how'd they'd feel if we let wolves - the deer's natural predator that we hunted to the brink of endangerment, lose there? We created the problem, and hunting is one way to at least curb the population. While being shot is not a pleasant way to die, frankly, I'd prefer that to slow and painful starvation if given a choice.

I agree. While I don't personally hunt many in my family do. We eat what we catch. I believe hunting is necessary as a form of population control but that those who hunt should also only take what they'll use.

jackie
01-21-2008, 03:32 AM
I would prefer to eat deer to chicken or beef anyday.

Medusa
01-21-2008, 05:19 AM
But, if you kill the animal, why not use all of it you can?
The caveat is, of course, that the deer is actually eaten.
The hunters that I know eat what they kill. My meat comes neatly packaged in the supermarket and, as I previously mentioned, it would be hypocritical of me to eat meat and criticize a hunter. However, without exception, every hunter that I know also brags about his kill, his 8 point or whatever and then mounts his "harvest" on the wall. If he's doing it for the ecology and for the deer and not for the bloodlust, then he should do it and be done w/it and not need his gold star on his little kindergarten forehead.

Pam
01-21-2008, 05:31 AM
The hunters that I know eat what they kill. My meat comes neatly packaged in the supermarket and, as I previously mentioned, it would be hypocritical of me to eat meat and criticize a hunter.

I know two seasoned hunters, and my nephew (age 31) last year went with his uncle and got his first deer. I have deer meat in my freezer and somehow can't bring myself to cook it although I have been given recipe suggestions. I have no trouble eating the other meat that is there. :rolleyes:

We occasionally have deer in our yard and I guess I can't get the image of those precious animals with their big eyes and majestic beauty out of my mind.

Chilli
01-21-2008, 09:17 AM
I agree that if this guy you are seeing doesn't bring it up alot, then don't bother with it too much. If it doesn't end up coming up alot, then go ahead and tell him how you feel. If he doesn't respect your opinion, then all it shows is that he isn't the kind of person you would want to be around(not saying that he is, just saying "if").
Tons of people in my family hunt. Being against hunting(I have my reasons and theories, but I don't want to be shot down on a nice day like this, so I'll save that post for some other day :D), its the hardest thing in the world to be around some of them. I can think of only one aunt out of my whole family(which is <i>huge</i>.. as in my family is huge, not my aunt. hehe) who doesn't have a deer head or two.. or three slapped up on the living room wall.
Our freezer is stocked full of deer meat. In my opinion, it reeks. :]

I hope things continue to go well with this guy you are seeing, Genny. :)

Alysser
01-21-2008, 09:51 AM
My dad used to go out in the woods with his guns but he never caught anything, he never tried. I don't really like hunting as a sport if you are just mounting the animals head on the wall. But for food, and curbing the population I am all for it. I agree 100% with Twisterdog. :)

Medusa
01-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Our freezer is stocked full of deer meat. In my opinion, it reeks. :]
Ain't that the truth. The guy I was dating liked saying that deer meat doesn't have steroids, etc., so it's healthier for consumption. This coming from a guy who smoked 3 packs a day and drank beer like it was his last chance to get any. We always justify what we really want to do, whether it's hunting or whatever, but the excuses that this guy and other hunters always came up with are laughable at best and downright stupid at worst. They enjoy portraying themselves as the great saviors of the deer population but I find it interesting that beer always enters into the equation, along w/deer camp parties, etc. And deer hunting is advertised as a "sport" and hunters refer to themselves as "sportsmen". So much for the ecology and the "poor deer".

shepgirl
01-21-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm not for hunting deer either, although I do understand what Karen posted. But no one in the family hunts, and when I go somewhere and see a deer head mounted on a wall it does affect me negatively.
I also don't like to hear the stories about how they build blinds and hide till the mom appears and leads them to the babies that they then shoot. If you hunt and eat your kill that's one thing, but to kill just to brag about it, then I consider it wrong. And the one thing that burns me the most is that when a group of hunters start packing for their hunting trip, the first thing they pack are the cases of beer.
Over here, hunting with dogs is strictly forbidden because of the damage the dogs can do to a deer and then it escapes hurt. Or the dog chases the deer and maims it so the hunter can shoot it. But not all areas prohibits this horrid custom, to me that isn't hunting, no fair play for the deer, some of the dogs get pretty gruesome when they get turned loose.

Medusa
01-21-2008, 10:16 AM
I feel the same way about bow hunting. Every hunter I've spoken to that bow hunts has admitted that at least once they've injured the deer but didn't kill it. So it ran off to die an agonizing death. But it's that macho thing again and the deer suffer because of it.

Taz_Zoee
01-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Well, I think Twisterdog said it much better than I did. And I hope you (or anyone) didn't think I was critizing hunters, after all I have some in my family.
And as I said, I do eat meat, and I think I've probably eaten deer at some point in my life too.

Anyway, back to the main topic of this thread. I just hope you and your guy friend can keep an open line of communication about this subject and just agree to respect each others views. :)

carole
01-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Yes i agree do tell him how you feel about it, and if he is a decent guy he will respect that and not talk about it too much.

I wish i could say i am a vegetarian, because i hate that we humans seem to have to kill everything in site, for our own benefit,but it would be hypocritical of me to say it is wrong, besides Karen told me something i did not know,about the starving deers, that would not be a nice sight indeed, so maybe it is necessary culling.

We have to kill possums in NZ because they are a pest and cause damage to the environment etc, and although not eaten their skins are used,but they are the cutest little creatures ever and it still makes me sad.

jackie
01-21-2008, 02:10 PM
OK, I understand why some of you are against hunting, but what do you have against beer?!?

When I got camping or to the beach the first thing I usually pack is beer, so why shouldn't hunters? :p

Karen
01-21-2008, 02:15 PM
OK, I understand why some of you are against hunting, but what do you have against beer?!?

When I got camping or to the beach the first thing I usually pack is beer, so why shouldn't hunters? :p

Beer + firearms = tragedy waiting to happen

Its not beer itself that's the problem!

jackie
01-21-2008, 02:20 PM

Actually thought of that after I posted. :o

sparks19
01-21-2008, 03:40 PM
I feel the same way about bow hunting. Every hunter I've spoken to that bow hunts has admitted that at least once they've injured the deer but didn't kill it. So it ran off to die an agonizing death. But it's that macho thing again and the deer suffer because of it.

it's not just a macho thing... I know a lot of women that hunt also.

I don't know... I guess being married into a family that is full of hunters changes my perspective... but none of the men in this family are "macho"... they are good, down to earth people... good fathers.... wonderful husbands.... not macho in the least.

ETA: our uncle has a deer head on his wall... he didn't shoot the deer just so he could hang the head on the wall... he ate it...and it was his very first deer so he mounted the head. Nothing wrong with that and that doesn't make him macho or inhumane.

sparks19
01-21-2008, 03:42 PM

I don't agree with drinking before hunting or while hunting... but if they are gone for a weekend hunting trip... what is the problem with drinking at the camp after the hunt is over for the day? and any responsible hunter would never touch a beer before or during a hunt... but there is no problem with drinking after the day is done.

I drink while I fish :D

Medusa
01-21-2008, 05:06 PM
My point is not anti-beer. My point is that the hunters that I know brag that they hunt to thin out the deer due to overpopulation, to save vegetation, etc. But if they drink beer even after the hunt, then in my estimation, it goes under the category of sport and not for any altruistic reasons. And even if they don't drink beer, it still is a sporting event to them. I don't speak for hunters and I don't speak about all hunters. I speak merely from my experience of knowing and talking to hunters, both male and female. Without exception, they have not made their case satisfactorily to me that they do it for any reason other than fun. I do not think that hunters are bad people. The hunters that I know are also good, hard working people. That doesn't negate the fact that they hunt for sport and the deer heads mounted on their walls speak volumes about their motive, certainly louder than their protests that they do it for the ecology.

sparks19
01-21-2008, 06:21 PM
My point is not anti-beer. My point is that the hunters that I know brag that they hunt to thin out the deer due to overpopulation, to save vegetation, etc. But if they drink beer even after the hunt, then in my estimation, it goes under the category of sport and not for any altruistic reasons. And even if they don't drink beer, it still is a sporting event to them. I don't speak for hunters and I don't speak about all hunters. I speak merely from my experience of knowing and talking to hunters, both male and female. Without exception, they have not made their case satisfactorily to me that they do it for any reason other than fun. I do not think that hunters are bad people. The hunters that I know are also good, hard working people. That doesn't negate the fact that they hunt for sport and the deer heads mounted on their walls speak volumes about their motive, certainly louder than their protests that they do it for the ecology.

i see your point ... but I don't really care about their reasons... either way they ARE helping to thin out the population and curb starvation... whether they know it or not. :D

jennielynn1970
01-21-2008, 06:46 PM
I grew up in the Pocono Mountains, and while I am not a hunter, nor will ever be one, my father, brother, cousins, grandparents (great grandmother was an excellent shot) all hunted. We ate and they still do eat venison on a regular basis.

I do not think that hunting just for "sport" is humane or ethical. If someone is hunting for food for their family, like my family did, I do think it is ok. They've hunted deer, bear, rabbit, pheasant, and all those kinds of wildlife. I've had moose and even reindeer in my past (a family I lived with in Sweden were hunters as well, and hunted these).

There is an over abundance of deer in our area. I do not like to see them hit on the highway. I do not like to see them hunted for sport. I'm not a fan of hunters who use a bow and arrow... I don't think there is enough of a guarantee that the deer, or whatever animal, will be killed quickly enough to not suffer. Not that one shot with a rifle does either, but hopefully quicker.

I haven't dated a hunter in years. Probably since I moved away from the Poconos over 14 years ago. When I do buy meat, which is not very often, I actually prefer to buy meat at the Halal market. It may seem silly to buy meat at the halal market, but I know it's supposed to have been killed according to the Muslim and Jewish way that is merciful.

IRescue452
01-21-2008, 08:38 PM
I always figured hunting was better than slaughterhouse conditions. Carnivores hunting is natural, keeping thousands of cows in a pen in flatened jungle is not. So I figure eating meat from more natural sources is better than from other sources. That's just my train of thought. I ate bear meat this christmas for the first time. My uncle hunts for food, he's kinda a strange mountain man. He's got mounted heads and whatnot. There's not a large byproduct industry for the non-edible remains of hunted animals, so what else is he going to do besides discard the head?

Genny
01-21-2008, 09:00 PM
I just read all this and I totally understand what Karen and several others meant when you were talking about the over population of deers. That's why the guys (my mom and dad's friends) say they all hunt and they have done it for years. Like a lot of you said you can't talk about hunters if you eat chicken/fish/beef and I also eat meat. Chicken has to be one of my favorite foods :rolleyes: I think it's alright if you hunt to feed your family, but for the sport of it? I don't like that. And the deer heads on the walls are just so sad to look at. I guess if my dad, grandpa, uncle or brother had always hunted then it probably wouldn't bother me like it does. but then you guys bring up chickens and cows and how animals we eat are mistreated and that's terrible to think about too. If everyone else would stop eating meat I would too and I know you guys would, but that's never gonna happen, so......
anyway it was good to hear all of ya'lls opinions about this! Thanks. :) oh and I wanted to make sure you all know I don't have anything against deer hunters...I would never do it and I don't like to talk/think about it but I know hunters are like everyone else and some of them are probably the sweetest people in the world.. so it's nothing against them :D I just didn't know how to go about it with this guy...I didn't really know what to say at first. but I'll let you all know how things go later on and thanks!!!!

Twisterdog
01-22-2008, 08:50 PM
i see your point ... but I don't really care about their reasons... either way they ARE helping to thin out the population and curb starvation... whether they know it or not. :D

I agree. Who cares if there is a deer head on the wall in den? Who does that harm? It's their home.

And, whether they brag about how big the deer was to their buddies or not, the end result is the same.

Like people who recycle aluminum cans not to save the planet and help the environment, but because they want a little extra spending money to play bingo or buy a pack of gum. Who cares?? It doesn't matter why they do it, aluminum is STILL being recycled and not put into a landfill. Why begrudge them their pack of gum? Doing the right thing for the "wrong" reason is still far better than doing the wrong thing.