PDA

View Full Version : Tourism Question: San Francisco

AmberLee
01-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Hi. My mother, sister, niece and I are thinking of running over to San Francisco in a few weeks. We'd prefer not to drive there. We're thinking of taking BART from Pleasanton to ??? -- all I know for sure is we want to see Chinatown and either Pier 39 or Fisherman's Wharf.

I'm trying to check public transit out online and am confusing myself. :o It looks like Chinatown is between BART's Powell St. and Montgomery St. Stations. Is this right?

From China Town, it looks like we can take either the Powell-Hyde or Powell-Mason Cable Cars to get to Fisherman's Wharf. Is this right?

Is Fisherman's Wharf near Pier 39? If you think that you'd only have enough energy to explore one or the other, which would you choose?

Are there really basic questions I'm missing, and if so what?

{{{hugs}}}

kitten645
01-19-2008, 08:41 PM
I live near Pleasanton and commuted to the city via BART for many years. The area's you want to see are pretty walkable...can't say that for most of the city! If you are going on a Sat, I'd suggest getting off at Embaradero (first stop past the tunnel) You can go to the farmers market there. Then see the Embarcaderos (shopping) Walk up Market Street to the new-ish mall there..Bloomies, Nordstorms etc. Really pretty historic building they revamped. See the glass escalator and fabulous food hall. Right across the street is the cable car turnaround. If you don't mind waiting in line, you can take the cablecar up to the top..See the Fairmont hotel. OR you can just take it as far as union square (only a couple of blocks) Cross Union square and go up Grant St for the entrance to China town. LMK if you need any more info.
Claudia :)

kitten645
01-19-2008, 08:42 PM
BTW Pier 39 IS Fishermans wharf. You can take the same cable car I mentioned and go past the Fairmont. The other side of the city essentially. It ends up at Fishermans wharf. SF is a very tourist friendly city so just about anyone can tell you how to get just about anywhere! :cool:

AmberLee
01-20-2008, 12:03 AM
BTW Pier 39 IS Fishermans wharf. You can take the same cable car I mentioned and go past the Fairmont. The other side of the city essentially. It ends up at Fishermans wharf. SF is a very tourist friendly city so just about anyone can tell you how to get just about anywhere! :cool:

You're kidding. I didn't realize they were the same. No wonder I was getting confused trying to compare which was further from Chinatown. :o :eek:

Actually we'll be going on a Sunday. Does the Farmer's Market go both days on the weekend, or is it Saturday only?

Thanks for the feedback.

RedHedd
01-20-2008, 01:35 PM
You're not going to want to walk up Market to the Union Square area unless you have really good walking shoes on. Get off at the Embarcadero, take in the Farmer's Market, Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, etc. then take the Powell Street Cable car to get near Chinatown (ask the Gripmen - they're very friendly). You can walk from Chinatown (Grant Avenue) down to the Union Square shopping area. Be sure to take in the new Westfield Mall with Nordstrom, Bloomingdales and about 800 other stores.

Then get back on Bart at Powell Street to go back home.

kitten645
01-20-2008, 03:09 PM
The farmers market is only on Sat I believe. But the Ferry building is pretty kewl anyway. I worked on Union Square and would get off at the Embacadero on nice days for a little excercise. I think walking Embarcadero to Pier 39 is longer than Embarc to Union Sqare but I'd have to check a map. There are plenty of taxi's around if you poop out! :p Chinatown from Grant street up is kinda steep if you have walking issues. There are lots of maps posted about. It's a pretty friendly tourist city. Have fun!
Claudia

AmberLee
01-20-2008, 11:01 PM
I think my mother and sister will be fine walking; I've regained some weight recently and might have some trouble. :rolleyes: :o

caseysmom
01-20-2008, 11:31 PM
I went recently and there is also a bus if the trolley cars are too busy anyone can tell you which one to ride...

AmberLee
01-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks, all.

Things are getting a bit complicated, not sure which of the first two weekends we'll be doing this.

I appreciate your suggestions, all.

{{{hugs}}}