PDA

View Full Version : Artistic Mapping - need suggestions (be creative...)

CountryWolf07
01-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Conduct research on a topic of personal interest and present it in the form of a map. Mapping is a convenient way to represent space, information, and/or concepts into a condensed document. While it is generally considered the domain of cartographers and scientific researchers, there are many artists who consider their art making process to be closely related to the process of mapping.

As an artist, your choices of "what to map" are unrestricted. You may choose to map an idea, yourself, a political or historical issue, a material, a space, or even a fictional topic of your own devices.

Consider such possibilities as mapping every scar on your body (as was done by one student-artist) and then consider interesting ways to organize your map so that it will function as an artistic conveyance of information to others. Remember, the purpose is to create art.

I have to write up a proposal of my idea relating to mapping.. so I have no idea what I want to do - I will have to take photographs of something.. as I map something..?

Karen
01-18-2008, 02:44 PM
You can make a map of your life! With places and events that feature large in your memory large on your map, and it can trail off into a "beyond here be .... the future" instead of dragons!

Just my idea!

DJFyrewolf36
01-18-2008, 08:50 PM
I'd take the opportunity to map something fictional...as a little kid I'd make up whole worlds and draw them out lol (even though my tallent as an artist is lacking :p )

Maybe mapping something of local interest too? Around here there are a ton of backwoods trails and whatnot to explore, maybe do something along those lines?

Just tossing out a few ideas :)

cyber-sibes
01-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Just a thought - you could do a map of the world according to Anna & Belle .... undoubtedly canine-oriented stinky stuff of would loom large... :D

CountryWolf07
01-18-2008, 10:40 PM
You can make a map of your life! With places and events that feature large in your memory large on your map, and it can trail off into a "beyond here be .... the future" instead of dragons!

Just my idea!

So I decided to go with that concept, but instead of "future", I chose 5 events of my life that meant HAPPINESS to me. So I chose, my family, OSU, Art, Garth Brooks' - making my dream come true to see him in concert, and Mike.

Karen
01-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Be sure to let us see the results if possible!

CountryWolf07
01-19-2008, 10:21 AM
That is definitely possible! :)

CountryWolf07
01-19-2008, 10:32 AM
That is definitely possible! :)