PDA

View Full Version : At the Deli Counter - OH NO!!!

Freedom
01-17-2008, 05:36 PM
I went to my local supermarket this evening, needed turkey at the deli counter. Not only for us, but both Sugar and Marlin are on pills 3 times per day just now and you know what they take the pills with, right? :rolleyes:

So the Sara Lee turkey is $6.99 per pound in the display case, where they have all the precut meat. No, I want the lower priced store brand which is USUALLY the one in that case. With the worker's help, we track it down and it is $4.99. Yup, fine, I'll take 3/4 pound.

So he opens one up, plops it on the slicer and cuts some. Brings it over to the scale, and it is .94 pounds, so he takes some off. Scale drops to .71 pounds and I tell him that is OK.

Before I realized what he was doing, he put the 3 freshlycut slices he over cut down the disposer!!!

WAIT! He said they only keep the excess slices for which ever one is in the display case, the presliced one. As this wasn't in that case, there is no way to "KEEP" the over cut, so it gets thrown. He said it happens all the time, all day long, turkey, ham, all the items in the deli.

I was horrified, I said I wished he had at least informed me and asked if I wanted any extra! And this happens in hundreds of thousands of delis all over the country????!!!!!

The rest of my shopping trip I was a bit dazed, thinking of all the food being thrown while our Food Bank goes begging.

I had NO idea; can't remember the last time I bought something which was not in the display.

K9karen
01-17-2008, 07:41 PM
I had no clue. This, while billions of people are starving. What a waste. Tsk. Tsk.

I'm glad I always took the overage. It was impossible to cut a 1/2 lb of chunk liverwurst to perfection (for Rb Cody's pills)

critter crazy
01-17-2008, 07:44 PM
When I worked in the deli, years ago. we saved all the leftover sliced meat, and t the end of the day we Wrapped it up, and sold it at a reduced rate. Many epople looked for this,a nd we always sold all of it.

It is such a shame that yours does not do this!:(

Karen
01-17-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm sure that's just the individual store's policy. I have never seen that done at any of the stores at which I shop.

Daisy and Delilah
01-18-2008, 05:16 PM
WOW!! That makes me sorta sick. To think of what we waste in this country for sure. It's a crime. If the same person handled it with gloves on, I think it would be prefectly ok to sell in another package later. Thanks for sharing that, Sandie. :(