PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!

Andie
08-14-2002, 09:41 PM
we've never really had this problem before but How do you get rid of fleas?

Nomilynn
08-14-2002, 10:19 PM
When we had a flea problem we went to the vet and he gave us a whole system - a spray for the dogs (he didn't like the oral medications at the time - his opinion was if it kills the fleas it can't be good for the dogs, but there are new ones since then), a spray for the house that killed eggs, larvae, and whatever else fleas have, and a spray for our backyard. He said if we didn't treat all those areas the fleas would just come back. We got fleas when we took in a stray and he had them so bad we could see the things jumping on the floor where he had just been laying. Anyway, after we treated all three places we didn't have any problems anymore. I don't remember what the stuff was called but I'm sure asking the vet for advice would work. :D

Andie
08-15-2002, 07:45 AM
Thx I will

ChrisAK
08-15-2002, 07:57 AM
If you have them in your house, you can brush in Borax into the carpet, let it set in for about 3 days then vacuum. It will kill those in your carpet.

If you have them on your dog, FrontLine, Advantage and now they have a 3-month pill your vet can give them.

Remember it only takes one flea bite to give them parasites.

DoggiesAreTheBest
08-15-2002, 07:59 AM
Andie, be sure to throw away the bag in the vacuum cleaner when you vacuum up the carpets.

I asked my vet about the pill and he said that it only maid the fleas fertile. It doesn't kill them, it just prevents them from reproducing and laying eggs. He said the topical Advantage or Frontline is the best flea preventative method.

mruffruff
08-15-2002, 10:30 AM
My daughter had a bad case of fleas at her house this year. Her 6 year old daughter was waking up with welts every morning.

She had her exterminator treat the house twice and still had a problem. Hartz was put on the back of her cat's neck and the two dogs were dipped a couple of times. They still had a major infestation. And they are staying gone.

Finally, she bought Revolution for all three pets. Within 3 weeks they were 90% gone. In another two weeks, there was no sign of them whatsoever.

Revolution is fairly expensive, but treating your house is worse. And the Revolution also treats for heartworms. In the long run, it's cheaper and only one dose per animal per month.

Mary

Andie
08-15-2002, 10:53 AM
thank you guyz for all the advice.

Andie
08-15-2002, 01:11 PM
My mom found some stuff called HOT SHOT house and pet spray. Don't know how well it's going work but it was worth a try.