PDA

View Full Version : Seriously?

Sirrahsim
01-16-2008, 06:11 PM
The kids that live next door just rang my doorbell then ran away. I was standing in my kitchen window watching them while they did it :rolleyes: Who does that??

joycenalex
01-16-2008, 06:19 PM
well i did it in 1967....when i could run :D . but tonights 'ding-dong-ditch' wasn't me, i promise

caseysmom
01-16-2008, 06:30 PM
You just got door bell ditched, don't you feel special. Kids do it....real common.

Alysser
01-16-2008, 06:45 PM
A ding-dong-ditch. I've been guilty of participating in some of those. :p

Sirrahsim
01-16-2008, 06:46 PM
I guess my satellite dish being damaged and my boys being regularly woken up from their naps by balls banging on my roof has taken away my sense of humor where these kids are concerned :rolleyes:

M&M's Mommy
01-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Guilty here, too. :o

Twisterdog
01-17-2008, 12:42 AM
Who does that??

Well, actually, probably the vast majority of people under the age of 18 do that.

Giselle
01-17-2008, 01:12 AM
Never did it. Never will. I get really miffed by that kind of stuff (even as a young 'un), so I guess it was natural not to reciprocate it. Am I weird? :o

Kfamr
01-17-2008, 02:06 AM
Who does it? A lot of children.

"Caught" the neighborhood boys doing it to the neighbors not too long ago.

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-17-2008, 05:05 AM
Never did it. Never will. I get really miffed by that kind of stuff (even as a young 'un), so I guess it was natural not to reciprocate it. Am I weird? :o

No, you're not :) . I never did that either. Maybe it was because of my mom? She has MS and it always took her ages to get to the frontdoor...!
We were told not to do ding-dong-ditch.
I hate that too, Missy!!

Pam
01-17-2008, 05:22 AM
The kids that live next door just rang my doorbell then ran away. I was standing in my kitchen window watching them while they did it :rolleyes: Who does that??

I have to admit, I never heard of it. :o I never did it and never had it done to me. I would think it would be something done on Mischief Night. :confused:

jennielynn1970
01-17-2008, 05:41 AM
I never heard of it until I moved away from home. I lived on a 100 acre farm, and we didn't have a doorbell. Basically up there, it was pull up in your pickup truck, blow the horn and drive away really quick! :p

Pawsitive Thinking
01-17-2008, 06:10 AM
When I was young the back door of our house was opposite the back door of our neighbours so the kids used to tie string round the handle, stretch it across the alley and do the same to our neighbour - then ring the bells!

Result?

Both sides pulling at the same time and neither being able to open the door!

joycenalex
01-17-2008, 06:57 AM
brodys mom....*LOL*!

pitc9
01-17-2008, 08:57 AM
brodys mom....*LOL*!

Yup... sounds like she would!!

pitc9
01-17-2008, 08:58 AM
I guess my satellite dish being damaged and my boys being regularly woken up from their naps by balls banging on my roof has taken away my sense of humor where these kids are concerned :rolleyes:

Oh yeah... I could see how you wouldn't think it was funny at all.

moosmom
01-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Missy,

I know exactly how you feel!! I lived in a complex on the third floor. Every morning, school kids, bored waiting for the bus, would come into the lobby and randomly ring door bells. Mine was ALWAYS being rung at 7 a.m. (I worked nights at the time). Me first thing in the morning is NOT pretty!! I reached my breaking point. One day I ran down in my pj's, grabbed the kid by the scruff of his shirt (I know it's a no-no) and told him I know where he lives and WILL be contacting his parents if I see him in our building again (I also had my "psycho" face on ). That was the last ding-dong I got so early.

Freedom
01-17-2008, 09:29 AM
One day I ran down in my pj's, grabbed the kid by the scruff of his shirt (I know it's a no-no) and told him I know where he lives and WILL be contacting his parents if I see him in our building again (I also had my "psycho" face on ). That was the last ding-dong I got so early.

That would stop just about anyone, I imagine. By any chance did Moo take a photo of this? :D :D

I never did it, but knew kids who did. I never saw the point of it myself. I've had it done here at my house a few times, usually around Halloween. Who would do it? The same kids who phone to ask if your refrigerator is running!

carole
01-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Hmm never had it done to me, never did it ,and my kids never did either to my knowledge, i have had the refrigerator call though. :)

K9karen
01-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Guilty in the 60's. Not funny when it happens to you, though.

Twisterdog
01-17-2008, 08:24 PM
When I was young the back door of our house was opposite the back door of our neighbours so the kids used to tie string round the handle, stretch it across the alley and do the same to our neighbour - then ring the bells!

Result?

Both sides pulling at the same time and neither being able to open the door!

*snort* ... Not that I'm condoning mischief, understand ... but those were pretty clever kids. LOL

Karen
01-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Missy, call their mother(s) explain two small boys at home, and hopefully she'll remember how vital naptime is and scold the kids.

Sirrahsim
01-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Missy, call their mother(s) explain two small boys at home, and hopefully she'll remember how vital naptime is and scold the kids.
I thought about doing this but decided to just let it go most of the time. If I ask them to leave but tell them they can come back after whatever time they will usually respectfully leave and come back. They don't get out of school until close to the end of naptime anyway so it isn't a huge deal. I try to be a little cool about it :cool: :p

joycenalex
01-17-2008, 09:01 PM
...or you could send donna (moosmom) after them...just a joke, really :eek:

Karen
01-17-2008, 10:50 PM
I thought about doing this but decided to just let it go most of the time. If I ask them to leave but tell them they can come back after whatever time they will usually respectfully leave and come back. They don't get out of school until close to the end of naptime anyway so it isn't a huge deal. I try to be a little cool about it :cool: :p

Hmm, maybe start keeping a tally - and for every time they ring and run, they need to repay you with doing a chore for you! Something innocuous but tedious, like washing windows or something ... That'll take the fun out of it.

Medusa
01-18-2008, 06:55 AM
It's been my experience that if you say something to the kids about it, they'll graduate to something worse. They'll eventually stop if they see that it doesn't bother you (even though it clearly does). I've had far worse things happen to the point where I, like Donna, freaked out one day, charged right into the kid's house where his mother was sitting in the kitchen drinking a coke, I grabbed him by his shirt, pinned him up against the wall and said some things that I shouldn't have. (No, no foul language, but I spelled out exactly what would happen to him if he came on my property again for any reason.) I don't know who was more shocked, the kid, his mother, my son or me. Try to let it go.

DJFyrewolf36
01-18-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm sadly guilty of dorbell ditching too...we did it to my neghbors grandmother as she was babysitting us while our parents were at work. Sigh, in retrospect it was mean to have her get up and answer the door while we hid in the bushes and laughed...but as a kid it was oh so funny.
I wasn't exactly a nice little kid though, I pulled quite a few pranks. Nothing overtly destructive though :o

Sevaede
01-18-2008, 11:25 PM
...or you could send donna (moosmom) after them...just a joke, really :eek:

*snort* :D Good idea! ;) :p :D

Barbara
01-19-2008, 04:13 AM
Guilty in the 60s- seems to be an international thing ;)
And while being at it: anonymous phone calls to neighbors pretending something weird, stealing fruit from their gardens, playing soccer on the street and hitting a window with the ball...............
Consequences: some really big scars on my knees because when you ahve to run away quickly you can easily fall :rolleyes:

moosmom
01-19-2008, 07:51 AM
I remember years back (in the 60's) my cousin and I used to spend Saturday nights at my grandparent's house. We used to call this phone number where an elderly African American gentleman would answer, "Praise the Lord and glory to God, how may I help you??" We'd give him all sorts of pathetic stories about how we were orphans and had no food (we were about 9 at the time), any sorry story we could come up with. He'd say a prayer with us, talk to us for a while and then the call would end. So I guess I'm guilty too. :(

Medusa
01-19-2008, 08:05 AM
I think every "kid" is probably guilty of playing some sort of prank. How many of us can remember dialing a number at random and when the person answered, ask "Is your refrigerator running?" and when they'd say 'yes', we'd say "Better go catch it!" Oh, har de har har! How hilarious. Not. That type of prank is harmless. We didn't think about the poor little old lady or man who had to take forever to get to the phone, only to find out it's a prank call. However, once vandalism or theft enters the picture, a whole new dynamic sets in. When I first moved into this house a little over 3 years ago, some kids from the next neighborhood decided to help themselves to my firewood. I thought I might be imagining things when I realized that my firewood was dwindling until one day when they thought I was at work, I saw them come into my yard and scoop up as much as their arms could carry. They were having bonfires every night in the autumn. When I approached them on it, of course, they not only denied it (Hello, I've caught you redhanded, you idiots!) but they said words to me that no kids should even know. I didn't know where they lived, so talking to their parents was out. Long story short, I called the cops and they handled it for me. Their families eventually moved to another neighborhood to terrorize someone else, no doubt. Kids will be kids but theft, vandalism, disrespect? No. No way. Ever. I would never have tolerated it w/my own kid and I won't tolerate it w/anyone else's.