PDA

View Full Version : Ripley's Gotcha Day Anniversary!

Pam
01-16-2008, 05:28 AM
Today marks five years that *The Ripster* has been with us. The vet estimated his age at the time of his adoption to be about 3 so today we are celebrating what might be his 8th birthday. :)

For those who may not know the story, I was in the early stages of thinking about getting a playmate for Bella and a second dog for me :) since I have always had two dogs at a time. I had thought of getting a shelter dog but very rarely saw any poodles (my heart dogs) on Petfinder. One day I was asked by my daughter if I wanted to ride up to the shelter where she got Dandy, her kitty. She had to turn in "proof of spaying" and, in turn, the State of NJ would give her some money back. This particular shelter does not spay/neuter prior to re-homing (at least it didn't back then). I agreed to ride along, and so off we went. While there we decided to just walk through the kennel and see who was there. Well, my little boy was there! He had just been brought in the night before as a stray. He was sitting in a corner so matted that he was twice his size and looking very sad. He even had prickly little balls (that fall out of trees) stuck to his tummy fur. :( I asked the woman if I might be allowed in his cage and she let me go in. I then sat on the floor to see what he would do. To my delight he walked right over, with his tail attempting to wag, but in the down position, :) and plopped himself right in my lap. I told him right then and there that if no one claimed him he had just found his new home. :)

I had to wait for nine days so, in the meantime, I took Bella up to meet him. They pretty much ignored each other :rolleyes: after a few initial sniffs. The shelter gals had, since our first visit, shaved him to the skin in order to get his mats off. He didn't look like a poodle at all :o but was so much more comfortable. :) We brought him home on January 16, 2003 and has brightened all of our lives ever since. He makes me laugh every day with his silly little personality. He and Bella are best buds and life is good. :)

Pictures to follow....

Pam
01-16-2008, 05:30 AM
Here is the shelter photo that was on Petfinder while I was waiting for the nine days to be up.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d725b3127ccebafd8760734c00000036100IbNmzFo3bsY

Here he is a few days after coming home. He wore a sweater for quite some time until his fur came in. :)
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d725b3127ccebafd9ffc73dc00000036100IbNmzFo3bsY

Having a tug with Bella. She was so sweet. She let him pull her all around to make him feel big and strong. :p
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7ce31b3127ccebdd4ace3232e00000036100IbNmzFo3bsY

More in next post...

Pam
01-16-2008, 05:40 AM
Playing with his squeaky chicken that he received in the mail, along with a bunch of *Welcome to your new Home* stuff, from his Auntie Rachel.
*Thank you Auntie Rachel!*
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d725b3127ccebafda61bb28f00000036100IbNmzFo3bsY

Telling Andy to stop laughing at him while he is being groomed. :)
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d725b3127ccebafd8374735a00000035100IbNmzFo3bsY

And one from several months ago, just relaxing on Mommy's bed and looking oh so cute. :)
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d725b3127ccebafd8904f21f00000036100IbNmzFo3bsY

He is my constant shadow and is never more than an inch from my side and is always making me laugh. Ripley we love you and hope you will be around for years and years to come. :)

Rachel
01-16-2008, 06:05 AM
Oh, like a kid, I could hear this story over and over again. It is by far one of my favorites. And thankfully this happy ending wasn't a fairy tail and it continues to this day. Oh happy day!!!

Ripley you are a gorgeous little boy, but the best part is that you are a good, loving little brother to all your siblings, canine and feline, and a little Mommy's Boy, just like my Tucker. Maybe if I quit now, I can be the first one to wish you a Happy Birthday/Gotcha Day.

Oh, and it is good to know I am not the only one who does my grooming on the kitchen table.

Anita Cholaine
01-16-2008, 06:09 AM
Aww, happy gotcha day Ripley!

I didn't know your adoption story, it definitely sounds like you and your mom were made for each other :D

Ginger's Mom
01-16-2008, 06:18 AM
Happy Birthday/Gotcha Day, handsome Ripley. I think you are one of the luckiest little boys who ever went through our shelter. You certainly hit the jackpot in finding a great home. Both your Mom and your Auntie Robin are wonderful ladies for giving shelter animals a second chance. Big hugs and smooches to you Ripley from both Ginger and I.

RobiLee
01-16-2008, 06:35 AM
HAPPY GOTCHA DAY, RIPLEY!!!

I love hearing how Ripley came into your life, Pam. I'm so happy that you both found each other and that you share him with us here at Pet Talk. He is such a handsome little man and I am always happy when I get to see pictures of him and his sister. Please give that cutie pie a big hug and kiss from me on his very special day.

I JUST LOVE THE RIPSTER! :D :)

pitc9
01-16-2008, 07:34 AM
HAPPY GOTCHA DAY BIG GUY!!

How lucky you and your mommy are that she went to the shelter that day.

She was put there that day to find you and save you!

:D

Freedom
01-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Hooray, Ripley, FIVE years! And you have made the most of each and every day. Got yourself into a great home and made sure you stayed. Enjoy, Ripley!

I lveod reading thestory, I was not aware of it before. Aren't shelter dogs great? Like my Lacey,who has become my velcro girl and won't leave my side, lol.

Cinder & Smoke
01-16-2008, 07:45 AM
I told him right then and there that if no one claimed him he had just found his new home. :)

He and Bella are best buds and life is good. :)

Wishin ya a
*RIPPIN* Good
Gotcha Day,
**Ripley**!!

Christiansmommy
01-16-2008, 08:20 AM
Happy Gotcha Day Ripley!! I remember the day we first met. You must have known that mom was going to be at the shelter that day, must have had a sense about it...so you escaped from your former place, just to find your way to the shelter to meet mom! That is how strong your bond is to her!! I know you are cared for with the utmost love, and I know that is why you cling to mom's side like velcro...b/c you are so very thankful for her taking you in, and taking such good care of you. You are a sweet boy, and I can't imagine Mom and Dad's house without a Ripley in it!!

Happy Gotcha Day Rip!!!! We love you!! (even Harlee :))

4 Dog Mother
01-16-2008, 08:32 AM
I, too, love that story even though I have heard it before. Some things were meant to be told over and over and over..... Ripley is so darn cute - I can see how you would fall in love with him. It is so great that you could recognize that in the little ball of fur mess that he was.

Happy Gotcha Day, Ripley!!!

AdoreMyDogs
01-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Happy Gotcha day, Ripley! I remember when your mom got you and posted the news for us PT'ers to read. What a happy day that was :) You're such a special boy and you've got the very greatest home with the very sweetest mom. You deserve it, little Ripley

cassiesmom
01-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Ripley, cutie! What a great story! Could you please have your mom give you lots of petting for me today (Some to Bella, too)? Happy Gotcha Day, sweety!

kimlovescats
01-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Oh Ripley, what a fantastic story of your adoption! I never knew how you came to be a part of your family and our PT! What a cute little mess of fur you were and what a handsome boy you are today! I certainly am glad that you and Mommy found eachother! What would AnnaBelle do without her Rip?

AnnaBelle has a thread today for her birthday too! Unfortunately mommy forgot on the correct day (6th) but she still loves her just the same! It worked out nicely though because both of you can share a special day!

Love and Puppy Kisses to you, Ripley!

Kim and AnnaBelle

kimlovescats
01-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Oh Ripley, what a fantastic story of your adoption! I never knew how you came to be a part of your family and our PT! What a cute little mess of fur you were and what a handsome boy you are today! I certainly am glad that you and Mommy found eachother! What would AnnaBelle do without her Rip?

AnnaBelle has a thread today for her birthday too! Unfortunately mommy forgot on the correct day (6th) but she still loves her just the same! It worked out nicely though because both of you can share a special day!

Love and Puppy Kisses to you, Ripley!

Kim and AnnaBelle

chocolatepuppy
01-16-2008, 08:42 PM
HAPPY GOTCHA DAY RIPLEY !!!
Such a nice story on how your mommy found you! :D

Felicia's Mom
01-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Happy Gotcha Day Ripley!:)

KYS
01-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Happy Gotcha Day!! :D

K9karen
01-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Happy Gotcha Day Ripley!! I remember the day we first met. You must have known that mom was going to be at the shelter that day, must have had a sense about it...so you escaped from your former place, just to find your way to the shelter to meet mom! That is how strong your bond is to her!! I know you are cared for with the utmost love, and I know that is why you cling to mom's side like velcro...b/c you are so very thankful for her taking you in, and taking such good care of you. You are a sweet boy, and I can't imagine Mom and Dad's house without a Ripley in it!!

Happy Gotcha Day Rip!!!! We love you!! (even Harlee :))

Thanks you, Robyn, darling daugter and friend, for saying this so eloquently! So true! So true! I clearly remember the excited phone call I got! Remember when Pam gave me Ripley to hold at the Pa PT meeting, while she went to visit the "ladies" and poor Ripley stared at the door, shaking like a leaf, regardless of my kisses? He wanted his mommy so bad! He almost leaped back into her arms! Happy Gotcha Day, sweet, dear, loving boy! Thank you for coming into our lives!

Pam
01-17-2008, 05:36 AM
Karen I had almost forgotten that!! :) I just went back through some of my albums and found two pictures that I took of you and Ripley that day. These were not taken in the ladies room (obviously :o ) so there were a few times when you got to hold my little boy. I think I had only had him a few months at this point and the *super glue* was already forming between us. :p By the way, doesn't Karen look great? :cool:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d725b3127ccebafdbd1f732e00000036100IbNmzFo3bsY
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d725b3127ccebafd98c4b24f00000036100IbNmzFo3bsY

Thank you everyone for wishing my little guy a Happy Gotcha Day. He is so special to me. He is always either on me (I think he fears I might fly off into space if he doesn't anchor me down!) or right next to me. I feel like he is actually a body part at this point. :D I just don't know what I'd do without my crazy little boy. :)

anna_66
01-17-2008, 06:43 AM
Pam I could have swore that I posted yesterday, but I think I got so involved in looking up the original thread and reading it again I forgot:o

Poodles have always held a special place in my heart and your Ripley is no different! He's a precious boy and you two were destined to be together!!!

HAPPY BELATED GOTCHA DAY RIPLEY!!!!

K9karen
01-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Oh Pam! I don't think I ever saw those pictures! Notice how I'm squeezing Ripley 'cause he was anxious to leap onto you!!! He's SO SO adorable! I'm so lucky I got to get "personal' with the widdle pumpkin.

wolf_Q
01-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Happy Gotcha Day Ripley! I remember that day too, I'm so glad you found him!

WELOVESPUPPIES
01-18-2008, 06:32 AM
What a touching story. When it is meant to be it is meant to be. Happy Gotcha Day Ripley. I wish you and your family many more Gotcha Day Celebrations!!

Rachel
01-18-2008, 06:57 AM
Oh, now I am really jealous. Not only did Karen look great but she got to *love on* our Ripley.

Pawsitive Thinking
01-18-2008, 09:30 AM
That is a great story!! Happy Gotcha Day Ripley