PDA

View Full Version : Input please....job stuff..update #15

Catty1
01-14-2008, 08:14 PM
OK...there is a labour shortage in Alberta, and it's nice to suddenly be in demand.

Just want to post a few points and get input. I have to go out shortly, but will be back.

1. Left magazine job in October, essentially. Put up with yelling and unreal expectations. Still waiting for remaining pay as the company is now under the umbrella of another.

2. While waiting for above umbrella to open and maybe include me, I had a job fall in my lap - I needed money, and have been doing interesting work for a real estate acquaintance from a few years ago.

This realtor is getting over the aftereffects of a stroke/brain blood clot in September, and admits she flies off the handle more than she used to. However, hearing her yell at her husband, take up all day on the computer when I am 'at work', having constant interruptions...and other stuff...She is hyper, in overdrive, impulsive, and shops incessantly on eBay - she has garbage bags of clothing in the garage that have to be sorted and sent to consignment. Not that it matters - but ethics like this disgust me, as I have been poor - and know that SO many in my city alone can't afford this shop-aholic behaviour. She is just getting back to work, so guess whose money pays for this?...

I already told her that I will work at home because I feel safer here. She has been away since the 7th - and guess what? No more major meltdowns accompanied by nose bleeds, and I hardly tear my cuticles any more. Hmmm.

3. ANOTHER home office job - from people I have know - they are development officers and writers, mature, self-accountable. They would pay $1 more an hour, and after 3 months, there are BENEFITS! (I've never had those). The husband of the couple needs me to help THIS WEEK, and I do have commitments to complete before the realtor gets back on Friday.

This guy wants to have me work for a couple of weeks. I want to give proper notice at my other job - hell though it is, that is the ethical thing to do. I feel like th new position is already pushing for more time than I can give.

4. I was starting to search want ads anyway. Should I give 2 weeks notice before the realtor gets back? Wait til Friday? We have nothing on paper and I haven't committed...and I am willing to help a new person learn the new database.

I am feeling a bit angry at the new guy...with the last 2 jobs I have had I feel like I have a slight case of PTSD. :(

Just need ideas as I feel stressed in a way that doesn't allow clear thinking.

THANK YOU if you have anything to say...I appreciate it.

Catty1

Taz_Zoee
01-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Ok, so this "new guy" wants you to work a couple of weeks, you say. What exactly does that mean? You'd only work there for two weeks? I'm confused on that part.
About giving notice to your current job. It doesn't matter if she is there or not. You can put in your two week notice now. That would still be one week after she gets back and it gives you time to get the loose ends tied before you leave.
While I'm on my own quest for a new job, I always keep one thing in mind. I come first. I must do what is right for me and only me. I have been feeling guilty about leaving my job, but I can't do that. They will find someone else to do my job, I know that. That is always something to remember.
So, I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide. Sorry I was not much of a help.

Catty1
01-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks, Taz. The two weeks is full time to make sure we each are happy with each other. Probably will be permanent.

I DO come first.

If Realtor Gal is not checking her email, who do I give the letter to? I would HATE to phone her.

Thanks!

Taz_Zoee
01-14-2008, 10:53 PM
So it's only you and her right? Well, I'd just write the note and date it for what ever day you write it.
Would there be a possibility of maybe staying on part time with the realtor just to give her a bit more time to get someone else into that position? Or does the new guy need you full time right away? I would hope the new employer would respect your decision to give a two week notice and maybe even understand a longer notice due to the employer being out of town. I mean, after all, wouldn't he want that from any of his employees?

Catty1
01-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Hopefully I will get to talk to the new employer tomorrow.

I would stay on part time with the realtor to help get someone else into the job.

Prayers please that I can do this without totally burning out....

emily_the_spoiled
01-15-2008, 09:34 AM
You can send it via email but if you want to ensure the realtor woman gets the letter have it delivered via Canada Post and ask for signature confirmation.

Good luck with the new job :)

Catty1
01-16-2008, 12:25 AM
...the good news is, the realtor job will take me part time, but in the afternoons, preferably.

Realtor gal is back Thursday not Friday (oh joy oh bliss - but she is sounding WAY more relaxed on holiday, so maybe just needed a really good break), and we will discuss it in more detail then.

Going to take it a day at a time, and I would hope to get indications from the new people that I would work out FT - but they need me there FT to find out...

Anyway...have just momentarily lost my nerve about giving notice. Will get my HP(higher power) in on this.

Geez...why did I have to be creative? Why couldn't I just have moved into a Dilbert cubicle 30 years ago and been content?

Working two places in the next two days will NOT be fun. But one day at a time, that's how I'll do it.

Today I felt - weird - at one point...like a warm wave going over me, like I was suddenly sleepy...and again this evening...all I know is I will move closer to snapping if I don't resolve this soon.

Thanks, everyone...some prayers please.

Lilith Cherry
01-16-2008, 01:07 AM
You have my prayers Catty, remember take care of YOURSELF first. Best thoughts for a job which will make happy and fulfilled without being stressed.

Taz_Zoee
01-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Well, good luck with this. If it becomes too much for you to work both jobs, you will need to decide which one is better for you. Do not wear yourself out. We need you around here. :)

phesina
01-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Very best wishes to you, Candace! We are all hoping and praying and sending warm energies that this will be the RIGHT job for you!

Meanwhile, you are doing the right thing, taking it a day at a time. Be very kind to yourself through all this. We need you here too much!

Love, hugs,and purrs,
Pat, Peony, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, and Priscilla Angel

Catty1
01-17-2008, 12:26 AM
Well, realtor gal is ok for half days - afternoons.

I have worked like H on this database, tweaking it - and still not QUITE done... :(

She is home tomorrow - I will at least get the one other project done...and keep working on the DB tomorrow.

Anyone else know how much time it takes to CORRECTLY update a database? Names misspelled, missing phone numbers, street names wrong, incorrect postal codes...deleting duplicates and unfindables...for 2900 or so entries? (Down to about 2400 now). This DB was imported from an older one...whew!

Went to the New place this morning. Driving west - sun on the mountains - rolling hills and horsies and only ONE traffic light! :D The man there is willing to take me on FT for a 3 month trial period (the normal probation).

I ALSO had a thought - that I am not LEAVING the old job as much as I am GOING TOWARDS something better. I am 51 - to have shorter commute, better money, and some benefits is something I need. I want to save the small investment payments I get, not use them for food and housing (though I am grateful they have been there).

New job? www.fourworlds.ca

I just want to give notice at the old job and not hurt anyone. I just want it all to go okay. Know what I mean?

Prayers please...and a coupla hugs?

you guys are the greatest...

Rachel
01-17-2008, 06:08 AM
Yes, I do know what you mean, but I also know that sometimes no matter how hard you try to be fair and to do the right thing, people will only look at a situation from their perspective - dare I say self serving interests. So whatever the *reaction*, just proceed to do the best you can to be fair to others while you look out for yourself, and don't beat yourself up if the reaction is less that favorable.

Onward....

lizbud
01-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Well, realtor gal is ok for half days - afternoons.

I have worked like H on this database, tweaking it - and still not QUITE done... :(

She is home tomorrow - I will at least get the one other project done...and keep working on the DB tomorrow.

Anyone else know how much time it takes to CORRECTLY update a database? Names misspelled, missing phone numbers, street names wrong, incorrect postal codes...deleting duplicates and unfindables...for 2900 or so entries? (Down to about 2400 now). This DB was imported from an older one...whew!

What database language are you using? There should be standard update
programs that could do this faster.

Catty1
01-17-2008, 07:30 PM
ACT! by Sage 2008

The old DB is Top Producer, one of the worst programs you can use.

The ONLY way to export from it in a way that ACT! will import is to use .csv

AND - a lot of the errors were inputted in the old DB...so that's a lot of the problem.

Got more done today - pretty much all. Realtor Gal (RG) was supposed to be in this afternoon. I left at 4:15 - I was really tired, and the snow was getting really bad.

ETA January 18

Got to put in full day at the 'new' office today. My car was in the shop for the whole day, so M (the man at the place) came and got me.

I did get really stressed at transcribing a document - not at the text or anything - but setting up a budget in a table(I had forgotten about the NESTING TABLES...aak), and also formatting the document in academic form, not business. AAAK! I did get teary and cried a bit - but M, as he was driving me back home, explained the differences between business and academic docs. He said J, his wife, would be able to teach me that much better.

M. looked at the doc I had been working on, and said it actually looked pretty good. I actually think so too, since I went into it COLD.

They also want to pay for my training - for example, how to maintain websites. I would think a course in how to build them would teach you the skills in how to maintain them...but we'll see.

I slept a little more this morning...but two days of split shifts that are 45 minutes apart....aak. When I got home today, I was a bit drained and tired, not bad mood-wise...

And there was a phone message from Realtor Gal. She said, "I'm back, give me a shout."

She sounded ok...but now, far from being worried about giving notice, I just want to get it over with! :D I just wanna get it done...

thanks for all the support so far...it'll be ok.

Catty1
01-20-2008, 12:32 AM
I sent Realtor Gal an email, and faxed over a formal letter of resignation. I will mail it tomorrow.

And here I am online late at night...and I didn't even open my email.

It's old tapes and all that crap...but I hate feeling scared that someone is going to get MAD at me.

It'll pass.

There are lots of PTrs going through horrid things right now, and I know my job stuff does not stack up against it. I appreciate being able to vent a bit, and thanks so much to those who are reassuring me.

You know...what is REALLY different for me is my choosing to leave a job...instead of that decision being made for me - which it has been in just about every job I have had since fall of 2000 (when I got to Alberta).

So no wonder it feels so weird and 'wrong' to do this.

Everyone have a good night.

Laura's Babies
01-20-2008, 08:42 AM
I hope things settle down for you soon... Don't apoligize for coming here to vent! We all need to vent now and then and I really find it helps me when I write things down and sometime even find a solution in my writtings.