PDA

View Full Version : Tips: To Fot Cat Owners-share

SANDY FROST
08-14-2002, 04:19 PM
MY TIP FOR CAT OWNERS IS GIVING YOUR CAT A
BATH ONCE A MONTH IS GOOD FOR THEM. ITS EASY IF YOU START THEM OUT YOUNG EVEN THE SCARDY CATS GET USED TO IT IF YOU TAKE YOUR TIME AND TELL THEM HOW THEY ARE FOR GETTING A BATH. I EVEN GIVE THEM TREATS AND HUGS BESIDES PRAISE. CATS FELL BETTER AND THEY DON'T FIGHT SO MUDH AND SO MUCH CALMER.
SANDY FROST:D :D ;) ;)

Former User
08-14-2002, 05:06 PM
Why should I give my cat a bath when they are not filthy? I don't feellike stressing them out, and that's what bathing would do to them. Only if they are filthy, then I would wash them. We've had C & K for over a year now and we haven't washed them once!

Nomilynn
08-14-2002, 05:27 PM
A cat doesn't have to be filthy to give him/her a bath. I bathe Bassett because she doesn't groom herself properly, and she also sheds a lot. She always feels better after a bath, because she is cooler, and all her dander is washed away so she doesn't have the bad itchies. I don't bath Tilly because she really doesn't need it, and I didn't get her young enough to start her out right away. Bassett, however, was first bathed when she was about 5 weeks old. It only stresses the cat out if they aren't used to it.

popcornbird
08-14-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Casper & Kitty
Why should I give my cat a bath when they are not filthy? I don't feellike stressing them out, and that's what bathing would do to them. Only if they are filthy, then I would wash them. We've had C & K for over a year now and we haven't washed them once!

They may not look "dirty" but anyone or anything that doesn't wash for a whole year will get dirty. Its your choice though. Maybe they do a good job at grooming themselves, but if I were you, I would still bathe them. Sandy was only giving an advice.

moosmom
08-14-2002, 07:16 PM
I have to agree with Casper and Kitty. Unless your cat has gotten into something VERY filthy or smelly, it's best not to bathe them. Cats are very clean animals by nature and usually groom themselves very well.

The only cat in my house that I DO bathe twice a month is my Sphynx, MooShoo. Because he is hairless, the oil on his skin has nowhere to go so it stays on the surface of his skin and causes a ring around his neck. It also causes his ears to get VERY dirty. Those I have to clean out twice a week. Moo has gotten used to baths. I put a small towel in the bathtub so he can sit on it and not feel like he's slipping. Then I just take a wash cloth with kitty shampoo and scrub him down. It takes me all of 10 minutes and bingo.....he's clean and smelling good.

So, unless your cat rolled in poo or is filthy, it's best to leave the grooming to them. Unless, like you said, they can't groom themselves properly. But it is up to the individual.

SANDY FROST
08-14-2002, 08:26 PM
all i know my cats do feel good after a bath on give me
lots of love asw to say thanks i feel better now. bathing
your cats gets rid off loose hair and dirt and excess oil
and their coats look better and they feel better.
and when they feel better they don't fight.
sandy frost:)

popcornbird
08-14-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
I have to agree with Casper and Kitty. Unless your cat has gotten into something VERY filthy or smelly, it's best not to bathe them. Cats are very clean animals by nature and usually groom themselves very well.

The only cat in my house that I DO bathe twice a month is my Sphynx, MooShoo. Because he is hairless, the oil on his skin has nowhere to go so it stays on the surface of his skin and causes a ring around his neck. It also causes his ears to get VERY dirty. Those I have to clean out twice a week. Moo has gotten used to baths. I put a small towel in the bathtub so he can sit on it and not feel like he's slipping. Then I just take a wash cloth with kitty shampoo and scrub him down. It takes me all of 10 minutes and bingo.....he's clean and smelling good.

So, unless your cat rolled in poo or is filthy, it's best to leave the grooming to them. Unless, like you said, they can't groom themselves properly. But it is up to the individual.

What does a hairless cat feel like? I mean because, cats are usually so soft you want to snuggle up with them and sleep. But what doas a hairless cat feel like? Is it, slippery, rough, smooth, slimy, soft, what? Just want to know! :D Is it really a cat or some animal from the cat family (but not a typical domesticated cat). I'm asking this because in the picture of your hairless cat, it had so big ears, and bright yellow eyes that made it look kind of different from a regular cat. If you don't mind, could you please enlighten me on this species of cats? I really know nothing about them, and your's was actually the first I've ever seen in a picture or in real life!

NoahsMommy
08-14-2002, 10:58 PM
We have to bathe Noah every other month because he is not the greatest at grooming himself. We don't bathe Noel anymore, she is very clean. They do, however, get those wipe-bath things.

We just gave Basil his first bath last Sunday...I don't think he has ever had one...poor little thing, he needed it. :(

krazyaboutkatz
08-15-2002, 12:50 AM
I tried to give Storm a bath when I first got him because he had fleas. I was unable to do it properly so I had the vet do it. Since then he's never had a bath. I've never bathed Pepper or Sunny either. They are all indoor only cats and groom themselves very well. I have had to occasionally wipe their bottoms with baby wipes. I also use conditioner on their fur which makes them smell nice and it also helps their skin.

Former User
08-15-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird

They may not look "dirty" but anyone or anything that doesn't wash for a whole year will get dirty. Its your choice though. Maybe they do a good job at grooming themselves, but if I were you, I would still bathe them. Sandy was only giving an advice.

No offense but I know my cats better than you, and they do a excellent job grooming. What's the point washing something that isn't dirty? Just because I should? :rolleyes:

I know she was only giving an advice, but she can't expect everyone to do what she does! Everyone treats their cats (pets) differently! If she likes to wash her cats, I've got no problem with it, I was just expressing MY opinion, just like she was expressing hers!