PDA

View Full Version : Argh, I killed the ATV!

Glacier
01-13-2008, 05:46 PM
We got about six inches of snow overnight. Driveway had to be plowed. It's double gated and the gates don't work right with too much snow build up. It doesn't take a husky or 12 long to notice a potential weak spot in the gates! Since no one else showed up to do it(which is a whole different rant and will tick my husband off to no end), I fired up my ol' ATV and went to do it myself.

I got the driveway done more or less and was clearing a few paths in the yard when disaster struck! Wouldn't go into reverse, would go into first gear, but not move, made this nasty clicking noise, and some lovely blue smoke! ARGH!! I had to call a neighbor to come help me push it into the shop. He thinks I blew the transmission!

Granted it's an old machine and doesn't owe me a thing, but I need it! I do all kinds of stuff with it, actual work and dog stuff! I don't think I've ever used it just to go riding around! Now I'm going to have to call a bobcat company to clear the yard at 60 bucks an hour! I hope Stuart can fix it when he gets home. The dogs will be miserable in the summer/fall without the ATV to train with!

Queen of Poop
01-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Sorry, that just sucks.

Karen
01-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Now, now, it's not dead, just in intensive care, until Surgeon Stuart comes home. Poor ATV!

Cinder & Smoke
01-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Argh, I killed the ATV! (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=1957997#post1957997)

Granted it's an old machine and doesn't owe me a thing, but I need it!
I do all kinds of stuff with it, actual work and dog stuff!

I hope Stuart can fix it when he gets home.
The dogs will be miserable in the summer/fall without the ATV to train with!

Poor ATV! :(

Is it possibly time to go looking for a "younger" model ATV?
Aren't there local dealers who have "used, but never abused" machines available?

Maybe we should all contribute to the *Glacier's ATV Fund* to ensure that
her beloved Dog Trail Tails will continue uninterrupted.

;)
/s/ Phred

ramanth
01-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Yikes!! I hope it's just something easily fixable. No neighbor kids to bribe to shovel it by hand? ;) :)

cassiesmom
01-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Maybe we should all contribute to the *Glacier's ATV Fund* to ensure that her beloved Dog Trail Tails will continue uninterrupted.

;)
/s/ Phred
i'm liking this idea especially since the ATV functions for snow removal as well as dog sledding lessons.

Glacier
01-14-2008, 12:27 PM

Aren't there local dealers who have "used, but never abused" machines available?

Maybe we should all contribute to the *Glacier's ATV Fund* to ensure that
her beloved Dog Trail Tails will continue uninterrupted.

;)
/s/ Phred

It was probably time a long time ago, but a decent used ATV is hard to come by. I don't know if I've ever seen a used machine at one of the dealers. People tend to keep them til they explode I think! I got this one out of the paper, but this is the wrong time of year for buying ATV's. It's snowmobile season!

No need for donations, we'll figure something out!

No neighbor kids to bribe to shovel it by hand? ;) :)

No kids on my road at all. A few summers ago, I hired a friend's kid to help with yard work, he lasted half an hour before he left and never came back! He wasn't doing anything strenous even and I was paying him well!

Cinder & Smoke
01-14-2008, 01:24 PM
It was probably time a long time ago, but a decent used ATV is hard to come by.

No need for donations, we'll figure something out!

:)
Well ...
Maybe no "need" ... but maybe we all WANT TO! ;)

You're Dawg Tails are a Work of Art to be preserved at all costs.
We help with DOG adoptions; why not an ATV adoption?

:D

ramanth
01-14-2008, 02:08 PM
No kids on my road at all. A few summers ago, I hired a friend's kid to help with yard work, he lasted half an hour before he left and never came back! He wasn't doing anything strenous even and I was paying him well!
Ha! Man, if I lived near you, I'd do it just to have some play time with the dogs. :D

cassiesmom
01-14-2008, 04:11 PM

Maybe we should all contribute to the *Glacier's ATV Fund* to ensure that her beloved Dog Trail Tails will continue uninterrupted.

;)
/s/ Phred

How much will the shop charge to repair the transmission? It's not doing you any good in the ATV ICU. :(

Glacier
01-15-2008, 12:48 AM
Woohoo, the ATV has been revived, probably a brief revival, but it's running again and I can clear the driveway tomorrow. Stuart was able to call tonight and gave me a couple suggestions to try. One of them worked. We should probably start looking for a newer one anyway, but this is good for now! He also gave the name of a bobcat guy who owes him money! So I can get the whole yard cleared this weekend. It's supposed to snow several times this week so I might as well wait on the yard. The driveway is more important--those gates keep the dogs in and the wolves out.

anna_66
01-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Great news on both accounts! I hope it keeps running till you can get a newer one.

Cinder & Smoke
01-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Woohoo, the ATV has been revived, probably a brief revival, but it's running again ...

Stuart was able to call tonight and gave me a couple suggestions to try.
One of them worked.

That Girl has TALENT!!

Head Musher AND Junior Assistant Wrench Turner in the Motor Pool!!

What can't she do!?

;) :)

gini
01-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Amazing - the master jewelry maker stops - goes outside - repairs the ATV - Phred, you are right.

What ELSE can she do? Or is it, what CAN'T she do?

Way to go!!!

Cinder & Smoke
01-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Amazing - the master jewelry maker stops - goes outside - repairs the ATV - Way to go!!!

Actually, she didn't have to "go outside" to *wrench* on the ATV ...

The Jewelry Shoppe is built into a corner of Stuart's Motor Pool/Repair Shoppe ~
Tamara has her chioce of working on tiny Beads or walking across the shoppe
and picking up a hamer, wrench, or grease gun.

Helps her pass the tyme whilst she's waiting for a Bead batch to *cook* in the kiln!

(This was "the Shop" they pushed the ATV into the day it blew up.)