PDA

View Full Version : How about the game string?

KittyKats10
08-14-2002, 03:26 PM
does anyone's cat chase strings around? :rolleyes:

RICHARD
09-06-2002, 06:00 PM
yes.....
we have turned it into a sport, cat fishing! Check out the
'kitty sports' thread for a more detailed description!!!

there is no limit and no seasonal restrictions, and better yet,
no license required.

wayne0214
09-07-2002, 09:41 AM
I don't know of any cats that do not chase strings, rope, cords, or whatever. It is something that brings the aggressive nature out in a cat. When I first moved in this house, I had to run extension cords around the place, and guess what? They all chased them while I was dragging them out.

..............wayne

RockyRoad
09-07-2002, 10:38 AM
Yeah, Sally loves string. She also likes to chew on plastic rappers. ;)

Uabassoon
09-08-2002, 07:41 PM
My cats love string, but I have to be careful because if I'm not looking Corkscrew will eat the string.

mylunalove
09-09-2002, 11:30 PM
String is an in thing with one of my cats, and the other could care less for it!

RICHARD
09-10-2002, 07:19 PM
i found out that the thin plastic strap material used to keep xerox paper boxes closed is a great cat toy, since the strapping keeps the square shape of the box it moves just enough to keep him interested.

sasvermont
09-11-2002, 06:02 AM
Sorry folks, but I don't agree with letting cats play with string. Although certain cats know better, the temptation to eat the string is just too great for me to allow it in the house/out in the open. I have two, not one, but two friends who have lost cats as a result of them eating thread/string. Both had the string tangled in their intestines and died. Both families spent hundreds of dollars trying to save their cats.

So if you elect to allow your kitties to play with string, please make sure they don't play with it while they are alone. I have toys with things attached with string and I allow the cats to have supervised play time with those toys. The alternative is to use very heavy string, like a shoe lace, something that they cannot swallow. Dental floss is another horror. My cats often like to visit and inspect the trash, so I toss my dental floss in the kitchen trash, that is covered tightly.

I know that everyone has their own horror stories about what their pets have gotten into.

Someone recently told Pet Talk that their cat died as a result of its collar getting caught it the poor cat's mouth. So, I took that as a lesson, and removed Graemer's collar. He was wearing it only so that I could tell my two Aby's apart as they flew by me. It was for my convenience. No more collar for any of my cats unless they go on a trip or go outside on a leash!

;)

Pam
09-11-2002, 06:19 AM
When I took my Trevor to the vet for the first time as a wee little kitten I of course had to take a stool specimen. When he came back into the exam room he told me "the good news is his stool tests negative for everything except string." He then gave this first time cat owner an education on the horrors of cats eating string, much as Sallyanne just did. I would encourage everyone here to be careful of string and when Christmas comes around tinsel is another problem.

Cataholic
09-13-2002, 12:45 PM
SAS has it right, sorry to say. My mother's Tabby cannot leave gift wrap ties alone! She didn't notice it until one day, Indra's ah, uhm, present in the litter box came giftwrapped!

While I love watching them play with the yarn, gift wrap ties, etc., it is only with my close supervision. Probably best to leave it all alone.

Thanks for the thought on the dental floss. Allie sits on my lap while I floss, and plays with it. While I have never seen her go into the trash after it, beginning tomorrow am...I will put it in the kitchen trash. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

NoahsMommy
09-13-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Thanks for the thought on the dental floss. Allie sits on my lap while I floss, and plays with it. While I have never seen her go into the trash after it, beginning tomorrow am...I will put it in the kitchen trash. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Funny you should bring that up...for the first time (gosh, hopefully) I found used floss on the bathroom floor thing morning...I'm sure it was Noah..he's known for stealing q-tips....yuck.

Cataholic
09-13-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

I found used floss on the bathroom floor thing morning...I'm sure it was Noah..

Noah's Mommy- take a good look at Noah's teeth. If they seem extra clean, you will know it was him!! :D :D

NoahsMommy
09-13-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Noah's Mommy- take a good look at Noah's teeth. If they seem extra clean, you will know it was him!! :D :D

:D :) Too funny!!!

Mitty the Kitty
09-15-2002, 12:37 PM
I love to chase string!!! Yes I do!!Its so fun indeed. When my people sew with string I try to snatch it from them! Silly People, They dont know better!!!!!!! :D :) :D

krazyaboutkatz
09-16-2002, 12:24 AM
One of Storm's favorite toys is string. He won't play with it unless I drag it around though. He also loves ribbon and any other kind of bows or ties. I have to be sure that these are hidden away or thrown out so he won't eat them. When you have cats you almost need to child proof your home. :D

yumyum6970
09-16-2002, 10:04 AM
Yum Yum loves to play with string only with us watching out for her though. We also like to tie it around her tail and she will chase it..it is so funny!

I_love_cats
09-17-2002, 02:44 PM
All of my cats love the string , I would swing the string back and forth and they would chase after the string. They all go nuts!!

Cataholic
09-17-2002, 02:47 PM
I_love_cats...that picture is soo funny. That is what I call a train wreck, in my house. I will whisper to my mom that there has been a most unfortunate accident in the hall, and to come look, quickly and quietly, and several of my cats will be lying there just like that! They sleep the sleep of babes, don't they?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-17-2002, 03:06 PM
I_love_cats, that is a great picture!!! I love it! :D

moosmom
09-17-2002, 03:31 PM
I agree with Sas. You're taking a real chance letting your cats play with string.

I had an incident last year when I was sewing some kitty pillows for an adoption day/tag sale. I didn't clean up all the thread around my apartment and didn't think anything of it. My baby Marina Mar (Rainbow Bridge 11/01) ate some and we wound up at the emergency vet. $75 later, I learned a lesson.

Now I buy them toys. If I DO give them something other than a cat toy to play with, I make sure that it's too big to swallow. But it's rare. Cat toys are the safest.

fireteddy
09-23-2002, 02:14 AM
all cats love to chase string. just as a hint, another thing that they love to chase if the bead of light from a laser pointer. you can make the point of light go anywhere in the room, up the wall, whatever, and they will follow it. just be sure not to point it in their eye, or yours as the laser can damage eyesight.

fireteddy