PDA

View Full Version : I'm really curious! Tell me....

KittyCrazy
01-12-2008, 09:05 PM
about your kitty situation! I see many of you have 3 or more kitties and often times I even see pics with all of them sleeping in a big kitty pile. :) How does this work? I mean, I have 1 cat and am stressing out over adding a new kitten. How do those of you with multiple kitties find they react when you bring a newbie into the mix? Are they all fine with it because they are used to being with other cats or do some work fine and others are rejected? What's your scoop? Spill it! I'm curious! LOL

Scooter's Mom
01-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Scooter Bug is my oldest at 12 1/2 (almost). He hates all other pets, mostly. He used to snuggle with Katjaye's Cassie Kay, who is his older sister (long story, lol). But otherwise, he doesn't like any other animals.

Charlie entered the scene 2 years ago. He is about 4 1/2 now and totally full of energy! He bullies Scooter a lot, and Scooter hides out. Scooter now lives in the guest bedroom.

We found Jingle Belle 3 days before Christmas this year. She's about 9 1/2 months old. She's very laid back and easygoing. She and Scooter are >thisclose< to getting along. I am very hopeful that they will be buddies, because I think he needs a friend.

I don't get the great cat piles, or snuggle kitties like most everyone else. I'd love to know the secret, too.

Laura's Babies
01-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Introductions have to be done correctly when you add a new one to the house. Sometimes it is a long drawn out process, sometimes it happens fast. Each situation is different because each kitty is different but the one thing that is wirtten in stone is introductions have to be done correctly!

KittyCrazy
01-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Introductions have to be done correctly when you add a new one to the house. Sometimes it is a long drawn out process, sometimes it happens fast. Each situation is different because each kitty is different but the one thing that is wirtten in stone is introductions have to be done correctly!

So then, what advice can you offer for when I bring home a baby boy kitty to my 4 yr. old girl who's always been an only kitty? HOW do I introduce them correctly? :)

krazyaboutkatz
01-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Mine don't always get along all of the time. There will always be some hissing, growling, or small squabbles from time to time. I have found that introducing kittens is much easier than introducing adults. It must be because they're much smaller and seem like less of a threat.

With young kittens it's taken a few days to about 1 week for my other cats to accept them. With an older cat or kitten it can take a bit longer. My cat Sky has no problems with accepting new cats. He wants to make friends with them right away and the new cats end up hissing at him. My cat Storm is usually very hissy and grumpy, Sunny acts scared or wants nothing to do with them, Pearl is mean and hisses, Starr will also hiss but he accepted his little sister Ziggy right away. He would follow her every where and he was so excited that he squealed with delight. It was like love at first sight for him and he still loves her.

You just never really know what will happen or how long it'll take everyone to adjust to the newbie. You should do it slowly but I've also done it quickly and let nature run it's course. They do learn who's the alpha cat and what they can and can't do with the new cats. You also must give your original cat a lot of attention so they don't feel left out or get very jealous. If you do decide to add another cat to your household I'm sure that many of your questions can be answered here. Good luck.:)

krazyaboutkatz
01-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Here's a link that may help you:Introducing Cats (http://www.fourpaws.org/pages/adopting_pages/introducing_cats.html). Good luck and congrats!!!:D

KittyCrazy
01-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Here's a link that may help you:Introducing Cats (http://www.fourpaws.org/pages/adopting_pages/introducing_cats.html). Good luck and congrats!!!:D

THANK YOU! That has great advice and info. that I would have NEVER known to do! I appreciate your help. :)

Freedom
01-13-2008, 07:31 AM
That is a great link! I willa dd a few comments.

Have the new cat to the vet as soon as you can. You want to have it tested for feline aids, and feline leukemia. You may not want to keep the kitten / cat if it tests positive for either, so you need to have that done even before YOU become attached! Feline Leukemia is highly contagious and you will have to keept he cats separated for life, if you DO keep it. Feline AIDS is only contagious from a bite, saliva, blood contact. I have one FIV + here and it is not an issue for me. BUt it is best to have the test done and KNOW.

Also have the new one checked for ear mites (easily contagious, can be dealt with), dewormed and checked for fleas. All this before the cats have any contact with each other.

Once you start letting them be around each other, keep a water squirt bottle handy. Use it to break up any fights. Now, you will learn over time that they will tussle as they develop their hierarchy, and that will be ok, where as a real FIGHT will need to be broken up before one gets hurt.

I have had intros over with in 4 days, and I have had them last 4 weeks. Just depends on the personalities.

Keep your expectations practical. You CAN insist they live together in harmony. You can NOT insist they be best buddies. That they will have to decide themselves.